• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PS Vita ad claims "September" release for Minecraft?

So first of all, just seen an actual television ad for the Vita! Showed off Lego Hobbit (Wut), Tearaway, and Minecraft.

One thing though, the notice when Minecraft came on screen was "Out September", when it's previously been locked for August. Could potentially be referring to the retail release? Thought it was worth mentioning.

Maligna

Banned
They need to push the Vita as a portable Minecraft machine with a nice bundle. I think it would legitimately save the system, given enough mindshare.

yurinka

A well advertised PS Vita + Minecraft bundle would be a western Monster Hunter of this portable.

They need to advertise it as 'The ultimate portable Minecraft' or something like that, and to make it cross-save with PS3 and PS4 versions.

Skeff

They need to push the Via as a portable Minecraft machine with a nice bundle. I legitimately think it would save the system, given enough mindshare.

Most Definitely, Minecraft bundle could do wonders for Vita.

Regarding September, could be anything, could be retail release or bundle release or vita version delay....

Sir TapTap

Sony please. If there is no Vita 2000 bundle with Minecraft, an 8+GB memory card and a shitton more stock than the Borderlands 2 bundle, out in time for christmas, you have truly dropped the ball.

Edit:
Imagine a green Vita with the creeper face on the back of it.

It would sell millions.

Creeper lockscreen, goes SSSSSsssss when you "peel" it. This shit writes itself come on guys.

DedValve

Banned
seriously just show an ad of someone with their kid building a world on the ps3 then they go on a road trip and the kid continues playing on the vita.

Minecraft - build at home or on the go - bundle included.

Watch the vita be saved. Come on Sony you have a chance here. Minecraft is a phenomena.

Boke1879

They really do need to push a bundle with this game just like Borderlands.

Don't know if it could save the system but it could see a spike in sales for the rest of the year.

A well advertised PS Vita + Minecraft bundle would be a western Monster Hunter of this portable.

They need to advertise it as 'The ultimate portable Minecraft' or something like that, and to make it cross-save with PS3 and PS4 versions.

This indeed. Vita Minecraft bundle for 149 euro would sell a ton.

Not surprising if true. It's supposed to release within a month and we have no firm date. They'd be incredibly stupid to botch the Minecraft launch.

Phediuk

Sony are absolute idiots if they don't bundle the Vita with Minecraft immediately and plaster Minecraft logos and characters all over the box.

Sir TapTap

Yeah, that was my point.

The same is true of the PS4 version to a lesser extent as currently PS4 is pretty much walking on water in the west.

Missing Christmas would be a huge loss for both them and Sony at this point. Here's hoping they've been quite because they have bundles for one or more of PSV, PS TV and PS4.

On french retailers, Minecraft is set since a few weeks for a September 3th release at 19.99 euros, on PS4 and PS Vita. No bundle in sight, though. Curiously, the Xbox One edition seems to be for later in the year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, that was my point.

The same is true of the PS4 version to a lesser extent as currently PS4 is pretty much walking on water in the west.

I think PS4 and vita versions are cross buy? So Sony could leverage the success of PS4 to help sell a few vitas too.

And don't forget if you have the PS3 version, it's only £5(?) to upgrade to PS4, and then also get the vita version free

I think PS4 and vita versions are cross buy? So Sony could leverage the success of PS4 to help sell a few vitas too.

And don't forget if you have the PS3 version, it's only £5(?) to upgrade to PS4, and then also get the vita version free

Bit confused; PS3 & Vita versions are identical, one in the same, and Cross-Buy. You can also share worlds between the two, because they are the same version.

PS4 not Cross-Buy, separate, and 36x bigger worlds. £5 (ish but no Europe price announced yet) upgrade from PS3 or Vita version if you have them.

Hopefully this September date applies to the retail version only, as the ad is sponsored by Game. In both cases of PS3 and 360, the retail version always came later than the digital.

Hatchtag

Banned
Damn goddit, don't release by Destiny and Smash Bros 3DS JP. That basically would make me skip it entirely, at least for a while.

Deadstar

I will agree with everyone in that a minecraft bundle properly marketed could sell millions of vita's. New ad slogan can be: Vita is Life, Vita is Minecraft. You heard it here first.

watershed

Banned
What is the difference between Minecraft on pc/consoles and Minecraft on smartphones. Half the people I know who play Minecraft play it on their smartphones. Would this Vita version be different from that?

What is the difference between Minecraft on pc/consoles and Minecraft on smartphones. Half the people I know who play Minecraft play it on their smartphones. Would this Vita version be different from that?

Well, if you had asked me before the last smartphone Minecraft (Pocket Edition) update, in terms of what more the Vita can offer;

- Caves
- MUCH bigger worlds
- Controls
- Proper, online multiplayer

Now the Pocket Edition has updated to 0.7.0 (?), it's added many features, including caves and infinite worlds, though this depends on your phone's processor. But I have to stress, the controls on the Pocket Edition are absolutely, unequivocally awful. I cannot imagine anybody enjoying it for extended lengths of play. The Vita, on the other hand, should offer seamless controls with the dual analogs.

They need to push the Vita as a portable Minecraft machine with a nice bundle. I think it would legitimately save the system, given enough mindshare.

This.

Since Sony doesn't care much about the Vita outside of Japan, they should just make it a Minecraft machine.

Please don't be delayed. I've been looking forward to getting back into this for months :(

I literally bought a Vita in December like... 40% for this lol. The ideal of playing it on the couch whilst watching Netflix is just too good! Also, I had it pegged for Summer because come September my life gets suppper busy.

I literally bought a Vita in December like... 40% for this lol. The ideal of playing it on the couch whilst watching Netflix is just too good! Also, I had it pegged for Summer because come September my life gets suppper busy.

I know what you mean. I tried the mobile version of it and it's just awful so the chance to have a proper version that I can play anywhere on the Vita is great. I haven't played it since I traded in my 360 for a PS4 and my 7 year old son is eagerly awaiting the release as well.

I know what you mean. I tried the mobile version of it and it's just awful so the chance to have a proper version that I can play anywhere on the Vita is great. I haven't played it since I traded in my 360 for a PS4 and my 7 year old son is eagerly awaiting the release as well.

My experience with the mobile version; Got hacked to death by a zombie because I couldn't control the game right. Couldn't build anything decent because I couldn't control the game right. Found the border of the world after about 3 minutes.

Good news I guess is you can get both this and the PS4 version for pretty cheap! :)

What are the chances this release totally revitalizes the Vita? 10%? 12%?

I mean, look at where the 360 and PS3 versions of Minecraft have been in the charts. Now factor in the appeal of portability. I'm not a prophet, and I'd make no bets, but given the right marketing and bundles (LOL), it will almost certainly revitalise the Vita to some degree.

Totally? Not sure.

It was supposed to be sometime in August but we're practically in August now and we still don't have a release date. So I'm thinking late August at the earliest but more likely September. So this sounds about right.

watershed

Banned
Well, if you had asked me before the last smartphone Minecraft (Pocket Edition) update, in terms of what more the Vita can offer;

- Caves
- MUCH bigger worlds
- Controls
- Proper, online multiplayer

Now the Pocket Edition has updated to 0.7.0 (?), it's added many features, including caves and infinite worlds, though this depends on your phone's processor. But I have to stress, the controls on the Pocket Edition are absolutely, unequivocally awful. I cannot imagine anybody enjoying it for extended lengths of play. The Vita, on the other hand, should offer seamless controls with the dual analogs.

I see. So controls would be the main differentiator now. Too be honest I can't see that being big enough a deal to get people too suddenly take interest in a Vita. For some, I'm sure it will, but not in a mass audience kind of way. It's a little odd, I hate smartphone controls but teenagers these days seem to figure them out quite well. I've seen teens playing Minecraft Pocket Edition like pros and I can never wrap my head around how they can move so fast and with such precision using just the touch screen.

It was supposed to be sometime in August but we're practically in August now and we still don't have a release date. So I'm thinking late August at the earliest but more likely September. So this sounds about right.

Worth noting that the PS3 version had a very vague date, then just suddenly dropped the week before Christmas.

Past

When will they stop delaying it? First it was suppose to be a launch release for the PS4/X1, then early 2014, then spring, then August and now September?

My experience with the mobile version; Got hacked to death by a zombie because I couldn't control the game right. Couldn't build anything decent because I couldn't control the game right. Found the border of the world after about 3 minutes.

Good news I guess is you can get both this and the PS4 version for pretty cheap! :)

Frustration is the best way I can describe the mobile version lol.

I have already bought the PS3 version so that the Vita version can be downloaded the day it releases and then it will be about £5 for the PS4 version which is a good deal.

When will they stop delaying it? First it was suppose to be a launch release for the PS4/X1, then early 2014, then spring, then August and now September?

I'm cynical, but I have to wonder whether Xbox release parity has anything to do with it. It's weird to promise launch date then miss it by like a year...

Vamphuntr

I mean, look at where the 360 and PS3 versions of Minecraft have been in the charts. Now factor in the appeal of portability. I'm not a prophet, and I'd make no bets, but given the right marketing and bundles (LOL), it will almost certainly revitalise the Vita to some degree.

Totally? Not sure.

The question is now who would buy a 200$ hardware only to play Minecraft pocket. You can get a 360 or PS3 for the same price and you can get a superior version of the game on these platforms. I don't doubt many will buy it but I don't see this reviving the Vita for a long period of time.

This probably would have been a great idea two years ago before the game spreads to every platforms but as anything Vita related Sony has been really slow to come up with great ideas.

The question is now who would buy a 200$ hardware only to play Minecraft pocket. You can get a 360 or PS3 for the same price and you can get a superior version of the game on these platforms. I don't doubt many will buy it but I don't see this reviving the Vita for a long period of time.

This probably would have been a great idea two years ago before the game spreads to every platforms but as anything Vita related Sony has been really slow to come up with great ideas.

It's exactly the same version as the PS3 & 360 :) Unless you meant like in terms of local multiplayer or playing on a TV. I'm not saying it definitely will, I'm saying weirder things had happened. And yeah, it could've happened a lot sooner.

Wasn't this announced way back at E3 2013? What's taking them so long?

Gamescom 2013, but yeah it's nearly exactly a year. It's probably because as well as developing it for the PS4, Xbox One, and Vita, they also have to work hard to keep the PS3 and 360 up to date, and this is the same one team with not that many staff members.

Top Bottom