• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: PS4 sales triple thanks to PS4 launch

Elios83

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-console-sales-up-204-following-pro-launch/0175282

PS4 console sales up 204% following Pro launch

PS4 console sales up 204% following Pro launch
Sony’s new powerful Pro console is in stores and has helped PS4 console sales triple in the UK.

That’s according to GfK hardware data seen by MCV for the week ending Saturday, November 12th, which says that overall PlayStation 4 sales rose 204 per cent week-on-week.

Of total PS4 sales for this period, 65 per cent of them were PlayStation 4 Pro. Sales of the original PlayStation 4 models – launch and slim – rose 8.5 per cent week-on-week.

Total PS4 sales were 44 per cent higher than Xbox Ones, with Sony's console claiming a 53 per cent share of the hardware market. Microsoft's machine took a 37 per cent slice.

It was a good sales period for Microsoft also, with the Xbox One seeing an 85 per cent jump week-over-week. This will in part be due to the platform holder cutting the price of original Xbox One models.

The PlayStation 4 Pro launched on November 10th after being announced at an event in New York in September.

Previously codenamed Neo, the machine is a more powerful version of the original PlayStation 4, boasting 4.2 teraflops of power. Xbox is also releasing a super-powered machine – Scorpio – next year, a piece of hardware that boasts six teraflops.

As of the end of the last fiscal quarter (September 30th), Sony had shipped 47.4m PlayStation 4s worldwide.

A few interesting notes.
PS4 Slim sales still grew 8.5% week on week so the Pro and Slim are clearly selling to different audiences.
Xbox was outsold by 44% over the week although its sales still spiked by 85% week on week thanks to a huge promotion that slashed the Xbox One bundles price (non S models) from 249£ to 179£

Edit: I missed a Pro in the title LOL

Retailers are almost giving away XBOs at the moment. I was in GAME picking up my Pro and they had some killer deals.

It's a good time to buy either console.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This is going to motivate Sony to release a new Playstation every 2 to 3 years in the future right?

viHuGi

Banned
Pro and Slim are selling to difference audience pretty much.

Every core Gamer I know here in Portugal picked the Pro BUT all those teens are picking up Slims with Cod and Fifa etc.

PS4 now covers all markets.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Besides the fact that such an increase is expected at the launch of a new revision, the increase without the base number says nothing.

Sjefen

As predicted, Pro will convince alot of gamers iteration consoles is a good idea

BTW I hate percentages, show me the actual numbers

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
I imagine we will get mobile cycles. Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One Pro, Xbox One ProPlus etc.

No, no we won't. The Pro upgrades for non-4K gamers are minimal even after 3 years of technology advancement. They definitely won't make this a yearly thing. I think they already know they're pushing it with the Pro, they won't push any harder. PS5 in 2019 though for sure. Every 3 years we'll get a console (give or take a few months or 1 year). We'll get the iPhone PS4 model, and then the iPhone S PS4 model 3 years later.

Phamit

Xbox did surprisingly great if you consider that your competitor had CoD marketing and launched a new Console

Elios83

Huge in Europe i can say this with confidence. As from rest of the world I don't know. Japan probably flop since Slim is dominating there.

We'll see on wednesday for Japan but I'm not expecting a lot there because the price is very high and the market has not yet fully embraced HD games go figure 4K.
Still even the PSVR sold reasonably well with 50k units at launch so we'll see. I think that in Japan Slim and FFXV will dominate PS4 sales for the rest of the year.

viHuGi

Banned
Oh wow didn't click with me why MS decided to do a firesale on the original XBone when they did. Clever timing.

Yeah Microsoft is playing smart here and they have been doing great ever here in Portugal they are being very smart with there bundles and prices cuts strategies.

Will be a big holiday for both.

XBO outsold by 44%... only? 🤔

Anyways, the dream of XBO being #1 in November is kinda dead lol

There was a big sale for Xbox One OG wich is still going on.

People made fun of the Wii U when they would say "up this amount of percentage".

So, what does "up 204 percent" tell me without a base number?

Lucifon

November is going to be a really interesting sales month as we have Black Friday too. Should be some mega console prices then.

NHale

Yeah Microsoft is playing smart here and they have been doing great ever here in Portugal they are being very smart with there bundles and prices cuts strategies.

Will be a big holiday for both.

Your definition of great must be something very different of mine, because despite all the fantastic bundles (much better than the PS4 bundles), the marketshare of the XB1 in Portugal isn't great at all especially compared to what was the X360 marketshare here (which wasn't actually great either) but piracy definitely helped push HW X360 sales over here in Sonyland.

DieH@rd

Banned
MS slashed the xbone price for 70 pounds? They are going to take a beating in the financial report for this holiday quarter if they continue like this.

viHuGi

Banned
Your definition of great must be something very different of mine, because despite all the fantastic bundles (much better than the PS4 bundles), the marketshare of the XB1 in Portugal isn't great at all especially compared to what was the X360 marketshare here (which wasn't actually great either) but piracy definitely helped push HW X360 sales over here in Sonyland.

I said great in comparison to OG Xbox One, of course you can't compare it to Ps4 here.

Top Bottom