• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: PS5 was the best selling console in April. It was also its best month this year.

Supply for the new fiscal year already starting to have its results!

nothing-stops-the-train-bryan-cranston.gif

reksveks

PlayStation 5 and Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga were the big winners in a quiet April for new game launches.

Over 92,000 consoles were sold in the UK last month according to charts company GfK, a drop of 18% over March.

PS5 was the best performing machine, due to a significant improvement in stock levels. It is the best month of the year for PS5 so far, with sales up 59% over March. However, year-to-date sales are still down by 51%.

It was the opposite story for Xbox Series S and X, which was No.1 last month but is down into third position in April as stock levels fell 59% month-on-month.

The second best-selling console was Nintendo Switch, although sales are down slightly over March.

Overall, console sales are down 38% year-to-date, primarily due to stock shortages for PS5 and Xbox Series S and X.

Over in the accessories space, 517,000 add-on products were sold in April, down 19.2% over March and 13.7% over the same period in 2021.

The rise in PS5 sales has caused an uptick in sales for the White DualSense controller, which rises three places to reclaim No.1. That means last week's best-seller, the Xbox Wireless Controller (Carbon Black) slips to second position.

The Black DualSense controller also shoots up the charts, from No.19 to No.6. Finally, also up the charts this week is the PS4 DualShock 4 controller, which leaps ten places to No.3.

Finally, in terms of games (digital and physical), data firm GSD says that 2.3m titles were sold in the UK during April. That's a drop of 18% over March, but up 12.5% compared with the same month in 2022.

847,000 of those games were sold in boxed form, with the remainder (1.46m) coming via digital download stores.

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga was comfortably the No.1 game and is the fastest-selling Lego game in history, according to publisher Warner Bros.

The second best-selling new release was Nintendo Switch Sports at No.5. Nintendo currently doesn't share digital sales with the charts companies, so it's possible the title may have charted higher if it was included. In the retail-only charts, the game was No.2 behind Lego Star Wars.

GSD April 2022 Top 20 Games (Digital + Physical)

Title
1 Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Warner Bros)
2. Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
3. Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
4. FIFA 22 (EA)
5. Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
6. WWE 2K22 (2K Games)
7. Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
8. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo)*
9. Call of Duty: Vanguard (Activision Blizzard)
10. Gran Turismo 7 (Sony)
11. Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Nintendo)
12. NBA 2K22 (2K Games)
13. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (2K Games)
14. Lego Harry Potter Collection (Warner Bros)
15. F1 2021 (EA/Codemasters)
16. Batman Arkham Collection (Warner Bros)
17. Monopoly Plus (Ubisoft)
18. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (Activision Blizzard)
19. Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)
20. Horizon Forbidden West (Sony)
* Digital data unavailable

GSD digital data includes games from participating companies sold via Steam, Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Nintendo Eshop. Participating companies are Activision Blizzard, Bandai Namco, Big Ben Interactive, Capcom, Codemasters, Electronic Arts, Focus Home Interactive, Koch Media, Konami, Microids, Microsoft, Milestone, Paradox Interactive, Quantic Dream, Sega, Sony, Square Enix, Strelka, Take-Two, Ubisoft and Warner Bros. Nintendo and Bethesda are the notable absentees, alongside smaller studios.

Worth a new thread?

PlayStation 5 and Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga were the big winners in a quiet April for new game launches.

Over 92,000 consoles were sold in the UK last month according to charts company GfK, a drop of 18% over March.

PS5 was the best performing machine, due to a significant improvement in stock levels. It is the best month of the year for PS5 so far, with sales up 59% over March. However, year-to-date sales are still down by 51%.

It was the opposite story for Xbox Series S and X, which was No.1 last month but is down into third position in April as stock levels fell 59% month-on-month.

The second best-selling console was Nintendo Switch, although sales are down slightly over March.

Overall, console sales are down 38% year-to-date, primarily due to stock shortages for PS5 and Xbox Series S and X.

Over in the accessories space, 517,000 add-on products were sold in April, down 19.2% over March and 13.7% over the same period in 2021.

The rise in PS5 sales has caused an uptick in sales for the White DualSense controller, which rises three places to reclaim No.1. That means last week's best-seller, the Xbox Wireless Controller (Carbon Black) slips to second position.

The Black DualSense controller also shoots up the charts, from No.19 to No.6. Finally, also up the charts this week is the PS4 DualShock 4 controller, which leaps ten places to No.3.

Finally, in terms of games (digital and physical), data firm GSD says that 2.3m titles were sold in the UK during April. That's a drop of 18% over March, but up 12.5% compared with the same month in 2022.

847,000 of those games were sold in boxed form, with the remainder (1.46m) coming via digital download stores.

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga was comfortably the No.1 game and is the fastest-selling Lego game in history, according to publisher Warner Bros.

The second best-selling new release was Nintendo Switch Sports at No.5. Nintendo currently doesn't share digital sales with the charts companies, so it's possible the title may have charted higher if it was included. In the retail-only charts, the game was No.2 behind Lego Star Wars.

GSD April 2022 Top 20 Games (Digital + Physical)

Title
1 Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Warner Bros)
2. Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
3. Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
4. FIFA 22 (EA)
5. Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
6. WWE 2K22 (2K Games)
7. Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
8. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo)*
9. Call of Duty: Vanguard (Activision Blizzard)
10. Gran Turismo 7 (Sony)
11. Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Nintendo)
12. NBA 2K22 (2K Games)
13. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (2K Games)
14. Lego Harry Potter Collection (Warner Bros)
15. F1 2021 (EA/Codemasters)
16. Batman Arkham Collection (Warner Bros)
17. Monopoly Plus (Ubisoft)
18. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (Activision Blizzard)
19. Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)
20. Horizon Forbidden West (Sony)
* Digital data unavailable

GSD digital data includes games from participating companies sold via Steam, Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Nintendo Eshop. Participating companies are Activision Blizzard, Bandai Namco, Big Ben Interactive, Capcom, Codemasters, Electronic Arts, Focus Home Interactive, Koch Media, Konami, Microids, Microsoft, Milestone, Paradox Interactive, Quantic Dream, Sega, Sony, Square Enix, Strelka, Take-Two, Ubisoft and Warner Bros. Nintendo and Bethesda are the notable absentees, alongside smaller studios.

Worth a new thread?
Yeah, this thread is just a hype thread from a tweet. We deserve a proper thread. Or do a Nintendo earnings one :messenger_beaming: I'm too lazy.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think most people knew that PS5 sales have been constrained primarily due to lack of availability.

I know all my mates want or have one, they still give me funny looks for having a Series X as well mind, they just don't understand gamepass.

It's good that it's starting to get to the level that people can just walk into a store and buy one. Its a great machine and I haven't touched my PS4 since I got mine.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Xbox and playstation literally switched places. No stock on xbox had it slip to third and finally great to see stock of ps5 to catapult it to first. The percentages more or less flipped too.

Hopefully there will be stock of both at some point so the market can see an uplift vs year on year.

reksveks

Lol xbox has always stock, in fact is at discounted price
Not Series X, Series S has hit a limit that it would sell at barring seasonal trends it seems.

Series X ain't in the Amazon UK top 100 for April. Currently #68 in May but it will go higher cause the chart hasn't updated for today's drop.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Xbox and playstation literally switched places. No stock on xbox had it slip to third and finally great to see stock of ps5 to catapult it to first. The percentages more or less flipped too.

Hopefully there will be stock of both at some point so the market can see an uplift vs year on year.

Series X in stock right now, though Series S is always available. How do I add the affiliate link to it?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Series X in stock right now, though Series S is always available. How do I add the affiliate link to it?

Awesome, so Microsoft has some stock available now after a poor April.

That's great, hopefully Sony and MS can both see good stock from now on.

June is gonna be huge for Microsoft after the 12th so fingers crossed they can keep the boxes coming.

Sony will just sell, sell, sell.

reksveks

Yeah, I think Series S has basically plateau-ed

Taken from another forum.

If Series X|S sold 60:40, Series X stock could've dropped 99% and Series S stock stayed the same.
That would result in an overall drop of 59%

I can't remember how many Series X drops there was on non-Amazon sites.

Three

I hope they really ramp up production but it seems their agreements for real stock boosts start in 2024. That's too damn long to wait.

Varteras

Gold Member
I hope they really ramp up production but it seems their agreements for real stock boosts start in 2024. That's too damn long to wait.
The great news is that they expect 56% more PS5 sales this fiscal year. Moves have been made to increase supply. The demand is so damn high, though. Right now, PS5 is only behind where PS4 was at this time by 3 million units. If Sony can hit its forecast for supply this fiscal year of 18 million units, it'll close that gap to 2.7 million. I'm not having any luck finding the quote right now, but I know I read where a Sony executive is confident that PS5 will eventually get back to being the fastest selling PlayStation console.

Last edited:
Doesn't mean much when you still can't buy a ps5 in any store or online at MSRP.
What were Switch sales last month in UK? I reckon not many so ps5 isn't getting huge numbers yet.
The UK had stock in alot of online stores today from Amazon to Game to plenty others...and it had to be big because it took over 15 minutes to sell out in some of them.
The UK is getting stock almost weekly now.

The point is PS5 is now outselling 2 consoles that you can find anywhere: Switch and Series S. If the others didn't sell much and supply caught with the demand that's on them. They didn't sell more but they could have.

Last edited:
"It was the opposite story for Xbox Series S and X, which was No.1 last month but is down into third position in April as stock levels fell 59% month-on-month."

The sales data makes sense considering this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom