UK: Radio Presenter Danny Baker Fired over "Racist" Baby Royal Tweet

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48212693

One to get the blood boiling this morning.

Baker is a long, long term TV and radio presenter, among other things. He tweeted out this:

And was subsequently fired from the BBC.

Apparently, because Meghan Markle's mum is black, this Tweet is racist. Danny Baker is quite clearly implying that the newborn royal baby is a monkey, because he is 1/4 black. Nobody in their right mind would think that it's just a dumb, harmless joke about a small, posh monkey.

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
First Royal Baby with black genes gets portrayed as a monkey does not look good.
Do you honestly believe Danny actually meant to make a public, racist statement about the royal family with this tweet?

Do you believe he should have been fired on the spot for this clear lapse in judgement rather than given a chance to apologise to anyone offended?

Does it not matter that he, like most people, doesn't instantly identify a monkey as a potential symbol of racism rather than just a damn monkey?

Typhares

Dec 5, 2013
UK
I mean yeah it can be interpreted as racism which is bad. But what I dislike most in these situation is that when pointed out the person apologizes, delete the tweet and that should be the end of it. But no, everything has to be destroyed, so what's the point of admiting to making a mistake really if we don't allow any redemption.

Reactions: 嫩翼

Hissing Sid

Feb 19, 2015
When you view everything through the lens of rasicm yadda yadda yadda.

If a black person is the first thing that comes to mind when you see an ape then you probably have some deep, underlying issues to deal with.

This isn’t America (yet), most Brits most likely associate apes dressed up as humans with a certain brand of tea-bags.

Last edited:

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
Lol and the west complains about China applying that social scoring system. At least theirs is quantifiable and systematic, the west version is pure subjective witch hunting relying on the moralist outrage of the month and chaotic. I think China's is fairer.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Ryujin

lifa-cobex

Oct 15, 2010
uk

Going to lean towards the side of ignorance.
Nobody want's to loose their job. Certainly not like that.

Still surprises me that ppl in the spot light have a twitter account.
It's like handing someone a gun and asking them to shoot you if you think you're stepping out of line for any reason.

Reactions: Hayfield and AV

jason10mm

Feb 3, 2009
I'm not sure how much of the American Tabloid 'discussion' about the royals trouble over Megan and the split between the brothers is actually true/stirred up in merry old England but yeah, that pic is DEFINITELY stirring the pot at a time when it seems that Megan's race is a significant divisive issue over there (again, at least according to supermarket tabloids here in the States). Too bad there are so few disciplinary actions between "slap on the wrist counselling" and "YOU'RE FIRED!!" these days. I'd just make the guy do some humiliating news spots about the history of linking monkeys with black folks and why it is bad.

lil puff

Dec 1, 2017
Maybe not racist, but ignorant and perhaps racially insensitive. Being likened to apes and monkeys is not funny to many black people.

However I would not have fired him if it were a first offense.

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
Yeah, it's all over the news. I heard the monkey gag is something he does often. But how could he not have known this was not going to end well? Britain has become ultra sensitive in recent years. I just don't understand how he, being a broadcaster, thought it would go down well.

lil puff

Dec 1, 2017
lol of course there's people here defending this obviously racist behavior. Of course.
To me, his intent isn't so obvious. I don't know of him well, but from what I can see, he does not have a history of that kind of behavior.

I know I have said some ignorant insensitive things before - it's like not knowingly or not really thinking before saying shit. Sometime people can try too hard to be funny and occasionally fuck up.

I definitely understand anyone being offended by it though.

Reactions: Shaqazooloo

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
lol of course there's people here defending this obviously racist behavior. Of course.
LOL at the people thinking it's not racist.
So you genuinely believe he was making a racist joke about the new royal baby resembling a monkey because he's 1/4 black? You genuinely believe Danny Baker, a respected industry veteran who's been working for almost 40 years, who it seems has never made a legitimately racist joke publicly in his life, has waited for this moment to unveil himself to the masses as a racist, via Twitter no less? And that he didn't do this when William Harry married the 1/2 black woman who is the mother of the kid in question? That there's no chance he was just making a dumb joke that had nothing to do with race?

Interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: jolof96

Shad0w59

May 18, 2018
I don't get the joke and doesn't seem that funny but the guy doesn't need to get fired over it.

Sqorin Hammerfarf

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2018
I think there should be a percentage racial make up where you can’t be accused of racism. Call a white man a monkey, fine. Call a black man a monkey, racist. That’s your spectrum. Somewhere on that line, it goes from racist to not racist, and I think 1/4 black is on the not racist side. However, nobody better make fun of my 1/732 Cherokee blood. Don’t they know how much my people have suffered?

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
That's racist or at least its easy to see how people think its racist. He shohld have known better.

Angry_Ostrich

Neo Member
Mar 5, 2019

Going to lean towards the side of ignorance.
Nobody want's to loose their job. Certainly not like that.

Still surprises me that ppl in the spot light have a twitter account.
It's like handing someone a gun and asking them to shoot you if you think you're stepping out of line for any reason.
"Oh yeah, that's so obvious, how we couldn't understand this joke". Oh, come on! It's wrong and a great shame that the guy had to lose the job over a bloody tweet. But, jugging by the response, he does not seem to be really sorry. What is this lame excuse of misunderstood joke for? Just admit you were wrong, that the joke was unacceptable and you will not do that again, or, at least, will try. Since he chose to be present on social media, AND since he worked as a presenter, he should have known better how to act in front of the audience, whether that's live or ppl on the internet.

lifa-cobex

Oct 15, 2010
uk
"Oh yeah, that's so obvious, how we couldn't understand this joke". Oh, come on! It's wrong and a great shame that the guy had to lose the job over a bloody tweet. But, jugging by the response, he does not seem to be really sorry. What is this lame excuse of misunderstood joke for? Just admit you were wrong, that the joke was unacceptable and you will not do that again, or, at least, will try. Since he chose to be present on social media, AND since he worked as a presenter, he should have known better how to act in front of the audience, whether that's live or ppl on the internet.
I mean who cares if he's sorry or not. It's not like anythings going to change. People will still be mad no matter what shit you say back.
Sure he could hang himself up in the twitter stocks for a few days to get pelted. But it's just more of a chance for him to slip up on more shit.

Most people here in the UK don't give two fucks about the Royal family. A family that will never have to work or suffer any of the common day to day shit that most people have to deal with in their lives.
Hell I've lived here all my life and I didn't get it at first. I had to read the BBC article to understand what people were crying about.

He fucked up.
You have too much fun, some fucker will call you out for it.

Last edited:

Unknown Quantity

Gold Member
Feb 8, 2018
So you genuinely believe he was making a racist joke about the new royal baby resembling a monkey because he's 1/4 black? You genuinely believe Danny Baker, a respected industry veteran who's been working for almost 40 years, who it seems has never made a legitimately racist joke publicly in his life, has waited for this moment to unveil himself to the masses as a racist, via Twitter no less? And that he didn't do this when William Harry married the 1/2 black woman who is the mother of the kid in question? That there's no chance he was just making a dumb joke that had nothing to do with race?

Interesting.
Royal joke gone bad. I believe his apology and its sincerity. A slap on the wrist would have been sufficient and maybe some charity work. This is mild to none compared with some of the other nonsense being spouted in the uk atm.

Reactions: DocONally

nikolino840

Dec 30, 2018
I think there should be a percentage racial make up where you can’t be accused of racism. Call a white man a monkey, fine. Call a black man a monkey, racist. That’s your spectrum. Somewhere on that line, it goes from racist to not racist, and I think 1/4 black is on the not racist side. However, nobody better make fun of my 1/732 Cherokee blood. Don’t they know how much my people have suffered?
How many times in history White are called monkey? And...Is something of the internet era call black a monkey?

Swauny Jones

Oct 30, 2013

Interesting.
He made a racist joke. That's what I'm saying and it's clear that's exactly what he did.

DocONally

Oct 21, 2014
Do you honestly believe Danny actually meant to make a public, racist statement about the royal family with this tweet?

Do you believe he should have been fired on the spot for this clear lapse in judgement rather than given a chance to apologise to anyone offended?

Does it not matter that he, like most people, doesn't instantly identify a monkey as a potential symbol of racism rather than just a damn monkey?
He said somewhere in the news (BBC, Guardian) that he actually meant it not in reference to skin colour, but in reference to dumb nobility of royalty. It's just another radical-left attack piece. He sees it like that, anyway.

Sqorin Hammerfarf

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2018
How many times in history White are called monkey?
Honestly? Probably more than black people were called monkeys. But because race is never entered into it, the comment is fleeting and soon forgotten. The dictionary even lists it as common usage ("they made a monkey out of him"). But because of the racial undertones of calling black people monkeys, every instance becomes about race, and recently, usually gets an entire news cycle to itself.

Let's say there is a black guy who likes watermelon and fried chicken. It's a stereotype, sure, but I know several black guys like this. One of them even loves grape soda. I'm from the south. We all love watermelon and fried chicken. So, if I say my black friend loves watermelon and fried chicken, am I being racist? Of course not, because I'm not saying all black people like watermelon and friend chicken as a rule. I'm being factually accurate too. So context matters.

But I did say that everybody from the south loves watermelon and friend chicken. I was still stereotyping. You probably didn't even notice because there wasn't a racial component to what I said, so the comment was fleeting and soon forgotten.

What I'm saying is people need to learn to let go. Things that happened to someone who isn't you two lifetimes before you even existed should not be something that keeps you up at night. You can't keep somebody else's grudges if you want to be a happy, well adjusted person.

And...Is something of the internet era call black a monkey?
Were you offended in Black Panther when there was literally a gorilla tribe?

Reactions: Rran

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
He made a racist joke. That's what I'm saying and it's clear that's exactly what he did.
It's not "clear" at all. He made a joke about royals being circus animals, as he's done in the past, was told that it carried racist undertones and promptly deleted the tweet, and later issued an apology.

I notice that no-one who's claiming this was intentionally racist has any good answers to the question of why he would choose to do this. If a BBC radio presenter knew something was racist, meant it to be racist, and did it anyway, why would he want to shoot himself in the foot so badly? Why now, after almost 40 years in the industry? Why not when Will married Meghan? Do you not think it's at all possible this was a misunderstanding and he should at least have been allowed to apologise and take a smaller punishment for a big lapse in judgement than losing his job?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: NutJobJim

lil puff

Dec 1, 2017
Honestly? Probably more than black people were called monkeys. But because race is never entered into it, the comment is fleeting and soon forgotten. The dictionary even lists it as common usage ("they made a monkey out of him"). But because of the racial undertones of calling black people monkeys, every instance becomes about race, and recently, usually gets an entire news cycle to itself.

Let's say there is a black guy who likes watermelon and fried chicken. It's a stereotype, sure, but I know several black guys like this. One of them even loves grape soda. I'm from the south. We all love watermelon and fried chicken. So, if I say my black friend loves watermelon and fried chicken, am I being racist? Of course not, because I'm not saying all black people like watermelon and friend chicken as a rule. I'm being factually accurate too. So context matters.

But I did say that everybody from the south loves watermelon and friend chicken. I was still stereotyping. You probably didn't even notice because there wasn't a racial component to what I said, so the comment was fleeting and soon forgotten.

What I'm saying is people need to learn to let go. Things that happened to someone who isn't you two lifetimes before you even existed should not be something that keeps you up at night. You can't keep somebody else's grudges if you want to be a happy, well adjusted person.

Were you offended in Black Panther when there was literally a gorilla tribe?
You do not get to tell people how they should feel or react.

You can feel how you want about it, and others can too.

I don't think you understand how insults work.

Swauny Jones

Oct 30, 2013
It's not "clear" at all. He made a joke about royals being circus animals, as he's done in the past, was told that it carried racist undertones and promptly deleted the tweet, and later issued an apology.

I notice that no-one who's claiming this was intentionally racist has any good answers to the question of why he would choose to do this. If a BBC radio presenter knew something was racist, meant it to be racist, and did it anyway, why would he want to shoot himself in the foot so badly? Why now, after almost 40 years in the industry? Why not when Will married Meghan? Do you not think it's at all possible this was a misunderstanding and he should at least have been allowed to apologise and take a smaller punishment for a big lapse in judgement than losing his job?
Show me proof of this. You can't because there isn't any... And yes it's a big lapse in judgment that someone with his experience he should have know better than to make. There is nothing to defend here. Dude made a racist tweet and paid for it as he should. Just because you feel it isn't clear doesn't mean it isn't. Anyone with half a brain would view this as racist. Even his half assed apology on the matter reveals his intentions and not giving a dam about what he really did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phunkydiabetic

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
Show me proof of this. You can't because there isn't any... And yes it's a big lapse in judgment that someone with his experience he should have know better than to make. There is nothing to defend here. Dude made a racist tweet and paid for it as he should. Just because you feel it isn't clear doesn't mean it isn't. Even his half assed apology on the matter reveals his intentions and not giving a dam about what he really did.
Show me proof it was intentionally racist. You can't because there isn't any.

His apology isn't him gushing at the seams about how shitty a person he is because it was a total mistake. One that he has clarified, over and over, was a stupid, idiotic mistake. Yes, he should have known better in hindsight, but he hasn't got a time machine. He can't go back in time and undo his massive oversight. So what do we do? Fire him, immediately, apparently.

I hope you're not a Mock the Week fan.

Sqorin Hammerfarf

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2018
You do not get to tell people how they should feel or react.
Are you really saying this in a thread about a guy who was recently fired because he didn't feel or react in a deemed appropriate way?

If people are acting like babies, I can tell them to grow the fuck up. They don't have to do it, of course, just like I don't have to give a sideways shit about their baby opinions and feelings.

You can feel how you want about it, and others can too.
I don't feel anything about it. There's nothing to feel about it. It's a non-event. A nothing burger. A bunch of racists projecting their own racism on innocent people, though, I have opinions on.

I just wish I could tell people, "there is no magic hubcap. The racism was inside you the entire time." and they go, "shit, you're right. I'm like hella racist!" But unfortunately, self realization is a skill few desire to possess.

I don't think you understand how insults work.
I assure you I do. I have a little book of insults right here next to my computer. Here's one: You look like a million bucks - all green a wrinkled! OOH! BURN! Do you feel devastated? You should feel devastated.

Swauny Jones

Oct 30, 2013
Show me proof it was intentionally racist. You can't because there isn't any.

His apology isn't him gushing at the seams about how shitty a person he is because it was a total mistake. One that he has clarified, over and over, was a stupid, idiotic mistake. Yes, he should have known better in hindsight, but he hasn't got a time machine. He can't go back in time and undo his massive oversight. So what do we do? Fire him, immediately, apparently.

I hope you're not a Mock the Week fan.
I was asking for proof that he has used this in the past for other purposes that weren't racist but like I said in my previous post. You can't.... He'll learn from his idiotic mistake and move on as we all do in life.

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
I was asking for proof that he has used this in the past for other purposes that weren't racist but like I said in my previous post. You can't.... He'll learn from his idiotic mistake and move on as we all do in life.
Okay, I'll hand you that, because I'm taking it on the word of other people. I haven't got time to go through 40 years worth of audio and source this. Fair enough, you can have that one. It changes nothing for me whether or not he's made similar remarks in the past about people who were 100% white rather than 75% white.

"He'll learn and move on" just seems so disingenuous after the man's already lost his job and been publicly hung, drawn and quartered. But I suppose there's no point in going in circles on this one, neither of us seems likely to change our position.