UK: Radio Presenter Danny Baker Fired over "Racist" Baby Royal Tweet

Jun 9, 2004
usa
haiti.kreyol.com
"Oh yeah, that's so obvious, how we couldn't understand this joke". Oh, come on! It's wrong and a great shame that the guy had to lose the job over a bloody tweet. But, jugging by the response, he does not seem to be really sorry. What is this lame excuse of misunderstood joke for? Just admit you were wrong, that the joke was unacceptable and you will not do that again, or, at least, will try. Since he chose to be present on social media, AND since he worked as a presenter, he should have known better how to act in front of the audience, whether that's live or ppl on the internet.
did he know he was fired by the time he tried to fix it?

how stupid can you be in these times?

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
I just don't believe he did not realise he would get the outrage he is getting at the moment. He has worked as a football pundit, so surely he knows about all the monkey comparisons in regard to black people and how risky it would be to put out a tweet like that.

Last edited:

Swauny Jones

Oct 30, 2013
Okay, I'll hand you that, because I'm taking it on the word of other people. I haven't got time to go through 40 years worth of audio and source this. Fair enough, you can have that one. It changes nothing for me whether or not he's made similar remarks in the past about people who were 100% white rather than 75% white.

"He'll learn and move on" just seems so disingenuous after the man's already lost his job and been publicly hung, drawn and quartered. But I suppose there's no point in going in circles on this one, neither of us seems likely to change our position.
In time I'm sure he'll find work. It just won't be so much in the public eye.

lil puff

Dec 1, 2017
Are you really saying this in a thread about a guy who was recently fired because he didn't feel or react in a deemed appropriate way?

If people are acting like babies, I can tell them to grow the fuck up. They don't have to do it, of course, just like I don't have to give a sideways shit about their baby opinions and feelings.

I don't feel anything about it. There's nothing to feel about it. It's a non-event. A nothing burger. A bunch of racists projecting their own racism on innocent people, though, I have opinions on.

I just wish I could tell people, "there is no magic hubcap. The racism was inside you the entire time." and they go, "shit, you're right. I'm like hella racist!" But unfortunately, self realization is a skill few desire to possess.

I assure you I do. I have a little book of insults right here next to my computer. Here's one: You look like a million bucks - all green a wrinkled! OOH! BURN! Do you feel devastated? You should feel devastated.
You seem really engaged in what you call a "nothingburger"

If you scroll up, I said I do not think he should have been fired. But sure, a company or business can fire someone for any plethora of things based on their standards. Walk up to your boss' face and call them a monkey. You think you're gonna get a laugh and Hi-5?

If you would like to believe your such a tough guy and don't care about things that some people may be sensitive to, hey go right ahead.

Panda1

Jan 12, 2010
Maybe because he is not American and not constantly thinking of oppression and how to be woke.
Its almost as if he was making a joke - and then apologized instantly. Just because some fuckers in America link everything with racism we in Europe try to move on - it will be a good day when someone can make a monkey joke without the baggage. Or else do we for the rest of time base all our political correctness based on historical American slavery that no one under the age of 40 gives a fuck about.
If someone cant be forgiven and then completely ostracized then how the fuck will there be progress? It will only create more people being on edge scared to say anything.

Plus is an amazing story for the press- to show how progressive England is (YOU KNOW THE PRINCESS SHE IS BLACK RIGHT!!!) and how this behaviour is not tolerated, whist constantly reminding everyone she is black and how awesome that is. Give me a break this guy is a D-rate celeb at best - but it shows how much oppression and racism there is in the UK that this is a top story (like Smollett)

Last edited:
Reactions: jolof96

Sqorin Hammerfarf

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2018
If you scroll up, I said I do not think he should have been fired. But sure, a company or business can fire someone for any plethora of things based on their standards. Walk up to your boss' face and call them a monkey. You think you're gonna get a laugh and Hi-5?
I'm a pretty charming guy. I can get away with a lot. Once, my boss walked in while I was doing anal to his wife, and he was just like, "oh you joker..."

If you would like to believe your such a tough guy and don't care about things that some people may be sensitive to, hey go right ahead.
I don't see why I should give a shit about their things when they don't give a shit about mine. Some people are like empathy leeches. They just suck the support out of everyone around, never giving anything back. They're the type of people who interrupt you to talk about how annoying it was when they were cut off in traffic while you are trying to explain the negative results of your oncologist tests. You want my pity? Give me your pity. You want my rage? Give me your rage. Partnerships aren't one sided, and it's obvious that these retarded chimpanzee fuckers just want to use me for their own power and self interests.

These social hypochondriacs see sickness everywhere, not realizing that is, itself, the real sickness.

Reactions: Panda1

Randall365

Aug 11, 2014
Feel a bit sorry for Baker - he battled head cancer the other year and he is definitely not racist. Seems a bit harsh to fire him, seeing as he apologised as soon as he realised his mistake.

Still - if anything - he will get more work out of this I would think.

Reactions: Panda1
May 22, 2018
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48212693

One to get the blood boiling this morning.

Baker is a long, long term TV and radio presenter, among other things. He tweeted out this:

And was subsequently fired from the BBC.

Apparently, because Meghan Markle's mum is black, this Tweet is racist. Danny Baker is quite clearly implying that the newborn royal baby is a monkey, because he is 1/4 black. Nobody in their right mind would think that it's just a dumb, harmless joke about a small, posh monkey.
You are defending this? Why is racist in quotes? It's pretty obvious this is has some sort of racist intent or at the very least racially insensitive. At this point in time people should understand the social climate we are in.

Last edited:

Azurro

Jun 11, 2018
You are defending this? Why is racist in quotes? It's pretty obvious this is has some sort of racist intent or at the very least racially insensitive. At this point in time people should understand the social climate we are in.
I'm confused, how is this racist? I had no interest in the uk royal family, but after reading this went ahead and looked at pics of the baby, and he isn't even black.

It's not a great joke, but I assumed it had something to do with how much of a circus this whole royal family thing was.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
I'm confused, how is this racist? I had no interest in the uk royal family, but after reading this went ahead and looked at pics of the baby, and he isn't even black.

It's not a great joke, but I assumed it had something to do with how much of a circus this whole royal family thing was.
There has been many things written about "the first black royal" (even though that would be debatable if she is the FIRST in the long history of the royal family, she is certainly the first in modern times). There has been many racist remarks about Megan Markle entering the royal family. There has been shitloads of discussions and articles about this marriage simply because of her mixed ethnic heritage.

How can you be surprised that people would consider the photo of a chimp labelled "royal baby leaving hospital" offensive? Like come on, you people can't be this stupid can you?

It's almost as if some of you here try SO hard to be anti resetera or something. Chill out.

Azurro

Jun 11, 2018
There has been many things written about "the first black royal" (even though that would be debatable if she is the FIRST in the long history of the royal family, she is certainly the first in modern times). There has been many racist remarks about Megan Markle entering the royal family. There has been shitloads of discussions and articles about this marriage simply because of her mixed ethnic heritage.

How can you be surprised that people would consider the photo of a chimp labelled "royal baby leaving hospital" offensive? Like come on, you people can't be this stupid can you?

It's almost as if some of you here try SO hard to be anti resetera or something. Chill out.
I don't follow these tabloid stuff, don't care at all really about royal family stuff, I didn't even know (or cared, tbh) that Megan Markle was half black. To be honest, you have to stretch it quite a bit to make the connection to racist imagery when the baby is 1/4 black and doesn't even look black. I'm not saying it was a great joke or anything like that, but it's more like people want to get offended over anything.

It's a shame the guy got fired when the connection to racist imagery was so tenuous.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
I don't follow these tabloid stuff, don't care at all really about royal family stuff, I didn't even know (or cared, tbh) that Megan Markle was half black. To be honest, you have to stretch it quite a bit to make the connection to racist imagery when the baby is 1/4 black and doesn't even look black. I'm not saying it was a great joke or anything like that, but it's more like people want to get offended over anything.

It's a shame the guy got fired when the connection to racist imagery was so tenuous.
Ok wait, so you have no idea what this is about, you don't know about the royal family, you don't follow any news on it, you don't even know that Megan Markle is half black, you don't know about the harassment she has received about her marriage, you (under your own admission) know anything about the current situation at hand....

......and yet you still decided to automatically jump into a "geehyuck them there S-J-Dubyas are at it again" knee jerk reaction?

You understand how foolish this makes you look right?

• Fire
Reactions: <+)O Robido O(+>

Azurro

Jun 11, 2018
Ok wait, so you have no idea what this is about, you don't know about the royal family, you don't follow any news on it, you don't even know that Megan Markle is half black, you don't know about the harassment she has received about her marriage, you (under your own admission) know anything about the current situation at hand....

......and yet you still decided to automatically jump into a "geehyuck them there S-J-Dubyas are at it again" knee jerk reaction?

You understand how foolish this makes you look right?
Well, you can continue to misread and be triggered by what I post, but I can't really control how you feel. I just look at the facts:

1. Megan Markle is half black and tbh looks much more white than black in the pictures I've seen, which is why it's not so easy to tell she's mixed race.
2. Baby is 1/4 black and doesn't look black.
3. The presenter doesn't seem to have a history of racist posts/tweets.
4. Picture is posted that mocks the royal family and happens to have a chimp in it.

I mean, if the presenter was a hardcore right wing guy with a history of distributing and posting racist content, then yeah, by all means, I'll join you in the outrage. As it is though, it's a mockery at a baby that is not even half black. Wouldn't the mom in the picture also have to be a chimp for it to work? It's not very well thought and an unfortunate joke, because it could maybe be misconstrued as racist by people looking for it.

Kind of unfair for the guy to be lumped with assholes that are actually making racist statements about this woman.

Last edited:

angelic

Apr 18, 2013
Yeah, Danny Baker isnt racist, ive listened to him on and off for 30 plus years. He just doesnt like the royals, and has loads of black friends (I KNOW, dont say it). He's a footy fanatic and lives in London, he's had enough contact with black people, loads of black footballers on his shows over the years, its a very British thing to use such humour as a chimp in clothes in a stupid photo. The ultra left BBC were always gonna crucify him.

May 22, 2018
Well, you can continue to misread and be triggered by what I post, but I can't really control how you feel. I just look at the facts:

1. Megan Markle is half black and tbh looks much more white than black, which is why it's not easy to tell.
2. Baby is 1/4 black and doesn't look black.
3. The presenter doesn't seem to have a history of racist posts/tweets.
4. Picture is posted that mocks the royal family and happens to have a chimp in it.

I mean, if the presenter was a hardcore right wing guy with a history of distributing and posting racist content, then yeah, by all means, I'll join you in the outrage. As it is though, it's a mockery at a baby that is not even half black. Wouldn't the mom in the picture also have to be a chimp for it to work? It's not very well thought and an unfortunate joke, because it could maybe be misconstrued as racist by people looking for it.
Ah yes, you have reached the point where you now must use catch phrases like saying I am "triggered" because you have no logical argument. Saying I am "outraged". I haven't acted outraged at all my friend, all I've done is calmly point out how someone could see this as being racist. Not once did I say he is a racist or that he is an aspiring grand dragon or something, merely that it isn't surprising that the tweet was considered racist. All my points have been logical and realistic. Meanwhile all you've done is exclaim how ignorant you are about the whole situation.

So have at it, remain willfully ignorant if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: josherjohn

Azurro

Jun 11, 2018
Ah yes, you have reached the point where you now must use catch phrases like saying I am "triggered" because you have no logical argument. Saying I am "outraged". I haven't acted outraged at all my friend, all I've done is calmly point out how someone could see this as being racist. All my points have been logical and realistic. Meanwhile all you've done is exclaim how ignorant you are about the whole situation.

So have at it, remain willfully ignorant if you want.
I'm being very logical, you are the one insulting me for not having your same point of view and joining a hate parade. I think you are just imposing your world view on other people and countries, American culture is ultra sensitive with this and British humor can be quite different.

And really, how is that picture that mocks a mostly white kid racist? I'd agree with you if the guy would had a history of ultra right wing and racist posts, but that doesn't seem to be there. Context matters and from the evidence out there it seems unfair to throw this guy in the same bag as actual racists.

It was just a dumb joke, there's not enough in it to call it racist imo.

Clear

Feb 2, 2009
Basically what I take from this is we're all supposed to think like racists (monkey = person of color), but flog ourselves over it, and lash out with furious ire at people who don't immediately leap to the same intuition.

That sounds like a good way to make society MORE racist to me.

Kadayi

Probable Replicant
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
Regardless of Bakers actual intent, the painful lesson for this for him is: -

I'm not surprised he was let go. The optics are terrible on it. No way BBC management would be able to defend it if they kept him on.

HoodWinked

Jun 30, 2010
Earth
This is worse than the Roseanne tweet which I thought was an overreaction. Also since it's a visual gag it's far less ambiguous.

Only thing is I'm basing it on American standards since I have no idea if it's nearly as racist in England but I'd assume it is.

Reactions: Kadayi

Whataburger

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
What is this elitist nerd crap?
You are on a gaming forum. Is it strange somebody thinks radio is outdated an people don't rely/use it as much as before? I haven't used a radio station since 2001 myself.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
Do you honestly believe Danny actually meant to make a public, racist statement about the royal family with this tweet?
No idea what hea meant. I didn't get the joke.

UPDATE: yeah, circus analogy kinda makes sense (and frankly the first thing that comes to mind when I hear "royal" in the news)

Show me proof of this
It's in post #14 in this thread.

Last edited:

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
Yes, I am defending this. Not because I think it was a smart idea, or a good joke, but because I believe he did it with no racist intent. I also believe half of the people who are out for blood on this don't believe that either, they just want to see someone chewed up and spat out for making a dumb mistake.

People think, "well, I associate monkeys in jokes with racism, and the prince is 1/4 black, so that must be it. Cancelled!" without looking at any of the wider context, or coming up with answers to the questions to arise in this situation: such as, why? Why after 39 years of service would someone with no previous racial infractions suddenly decide he was going to wilfully destroy his career by making a racist joke publicly?

My beef is that he's been given zero opportunity for redemption here. No warning, suspension, chance of a public apology and explanation, nothing. Fired instantly. Seeya. Cancelled. And while everyone else hides in the shadows because they (rightfully) don't wanna get lynched by the Twatter mob, somehow Dara O'Briain is totally unaffected for being basically the only celebrity to defend him. Almost as if people have realised all too late that they've rushed their judgement, because I guarantee if someone was defending a genuine racist, they'd be next on the block. It's ludicrous.

Meanwhile, as others have pointed out, Alan fucking Sugar can Tweet THIS shit out and is totally unaffected:

Wonder why. Wonder if it's because Sugar makes the BBC much more money than Danny. Wonder if it's because he's not joking about royalty. Hm.

Last edited:
Reactions: angelic

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
The leap of logic that people use to argue that they know intent - that they can read minds - in order to justify their interpretation of something.

This episode shows that, when you're a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Reactions: RedVIper

nush

Oct 16, 2017
Fired from the BBC means nothing, I'm sure any number of radio stations will be I. A bidding war to pick him up and his loyal followers. Give it a week and the outraged Americans who've never heard of him Will be like "Danny who?" Just like they are now. He'll be OK Russel Brand was OK, Richard Bacon was OK.

angelic

Apr 18, 2013
The thing is they did this to Eric Bristow in 2017, railed him off tv over a nothing tweet. He had to work behind the scenes and then he died (young). Then the tributes come in too late. Outrage seekers ruin lives.

Jon Neu

..he neus nothing
Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
Show me proof of this. You can't because there isn't any... And yes it's a big lapse in judgment that someone with his experience he should have know better than to make. There is nothing to defend here. Dude made a racist tweet and paid for it as he should. Just because you feel it isn't clear doesn't mean it isn't. Anyone with half a brain would view this as racist. Even his half assed apology on the matter reveals his intentions and not giving a dam about what he really did.
And here we have the modern equivalent of the people who burned women under the premise that they were witches.

Weilthain

Aug 6, 2013
I guess they better start teaching it in schools that black people should be associated with monkeys.

Lots of people are growing up without the association, and might make this mistake going forward.

Monkey = black person. I personally don’t like it, but I will go along with it as I don’t want to be racist for not associating black peoples with monkeys.

Jmarshall

Mar 28, 2018
That’s clearly racist. Why are only black people associated with monkeys and not white people or any other skin colour?
Because the racist science of the 19th century tried to tie Black peoples more directly than whites, it's an explicitly racist trope.

However, chimps in human dress is a common UK comedy trope that has no racist connotations. Ultimately this seems to be a problem of perception, I didn't make any connection between the chimp and the new Royal baby being 1/4 black, but many seemingly did.

We are viewing the world through different lenses, but crucially allowing no space for understanding of intent which is leading to injustices like Baker being sacked from his position.

Panda1

Jan 12, 2010
It was at the least racially incentive, and some people dont like the social climate we are in. However the left will eat its own. He is another cucked liberal -so no big loss, but how can there be no road to redemption on something like this? Decisions are made to kill people at companies yet no one is fired https://jalopnik.com/ford-faces-4-billion-lawsuit-for-allegedly-lying-about-1834636776 .
The social climate is a complete joke if its just pandering to the virtue signalling crowd - and excuse me if when I see a monkey I dont jump to racist assumptions. Just like H&M kid - mother and kid completely fine, but oh no white Americans who have got fuck all to do with anything have to have a fucking say.

Maybe black people could try to reclaim the word like nigga maybe monka , the white people would get the message clearly!

Sep 9, 2018
He's made a career out of stuff like this. Anything involving tradition or decency is open to mockery from this hurr hurr morning zoo type. It was a shit joke, and he's working for the hyper left wing BBC where white man is a dirty term.
If you live in the belly of the beast you were always going to be digested by it.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Nov 25, 2015
Floquet de Neu, a white gorilla in the zoo of Barcelona, was constantly compared to white politicians.
So race is now applied to gorillas based on fur colour?

Because the racist science of the 19th century tried to tie Black peoples more directly than whites, it's an explicitly racist trope.

However, chimps in human dress is a common UK comedy trope that has no racist connotations. Ultimately this seems to be a problem of perception, I didn't make any connection between the chimp and the new Royal baby being 1/4 black, but many seemingly did.

We are viewing the world through different lenses, but crucially allowing no space for understanding of intent which is leading to injustices like Baker being sacked from his position.
That is stupid.
Has science already thrown away the theory of everyone evolving from apes?

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009
Looks like a case of being ignorant of how people would interpret it, even if they knew his type of humor/associations.

Not sure he should get his job back though.

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
Real world, versus Internet world:

BBC said:
Danny Baker: Standing ovation at first show since Twitter storm
Broadcaster Danny Baker has performed his first live show since a tweet which led to accusations of racism and him being sacked by the BBC.

He addressed "the elephant in the room" at the start, describing his tweet about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's baby as "revolting" and "misjudged".

However, he again denied being racist.

iconmasterX

Gold Member
Jan 27, 2018
Even if we readily grant there was no racist intent, as a presenter for the state-owned radio one has to have an instinct for how things will be received by the general public.

If he hasn’t got that sense, he’s probably not right for the role.

Shifty.

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2015
Somewhere in space
Business as usual for trendy twitterites competing for who can be the most woke, then.

Thankfully the average joe doesn't give a monkey's, so he got a massive standing ovation on his first gig since his sacking:

I was asking for proof that he has used this in the past for other purposes that weren't racist but like I said in my previous post. You can't.... He'll learn from his idiotic mistake and move on as we all do in life.
Since you took the opportunity to evade the response asking you to provide evidence of the tweet's racist intent, I'm going to go ahead and assume that you don't have shit and are operating solely off of outrage.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with Hanlon's Razor - "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

right, right. keep deflecting from the truth and justifying this nonsense. LOL!!!
right, right. keep ignoring valid counterpoints and doubling down on shouting "RACISM!" without proper basis.

So the UK isn't allowed to mock its leaders?
All mocking must comply to state wholesomeness guidelines, a list of which can be found at https://www.big-brother.gov.uk

Last edited:
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi