• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retail Stats of the Year (530k PS4s, 364k Xbones, 3.67m GTAs)

MCV has the numbers, and there's loads to shift through. All stats from GfK ChartTrack.

The summary is as follows:
Hardware
2.9 million dedicated consoles were sold (4% increase in unit sales over 2012, 38% increase in revenue, no prizes for guessing why)
530,000 PS4s sold
364,000 Xbones.
3DS king of all consoles this year, as with the US.

Software
(Note: this is strictly games on discs, digital games are excluded)
34.5 million video games sold on discs (down 13% from 2012, revenue down 4%)
Average game price on disc: £29.42 (up approximately £3 over last year, thanks to the budget market shrinking and next gen prompting a price increase)
King of all games this year is GTA V, selling 3.67 million units
Second place is FIFA 14, selling 2.65 million.
In terms of software revenue, 360 is top, followed by PS3, 3DS, PS4, Xbone and the remnants of the retail PC market.
In terms of software units, 360 wins, followed by PS3, then PC, 3DS, Wii, PS4, the vanilla DS and then the Xbone.

"Exclusive" of the year: Minecraft 360 Edition (#9, but still damn impressive for a disc version of a digital game)
Exclusive of the year: The Last of Us (#10)

Console exclusives in the top 100:
Killzone Shadow Fall (#17),
Animal Crossing: New Leaf (#21)
Pokemon X (#27),
Pokemon Y (#29),
Halo 4 (#31)
Luigi's Mansion 2 (#34)
Gears Judgement (#35)
GT6 (#42)
Forza 5 (#43)
God of War: Ascension (#49)
Mario Kart 7 (#52)
Forza Horizon (#55)
New Super Mario Bros 2 (#62)
GT5 Academy Edition (#71)
Ryse (#79)
Knack (#82)
Forza 4 (#84)
Super Mario 3D Land (#93)
New Super Mario Bros U (#94)
Super Mario 3D World (#97)

(do note that bundled games are included, hence Forza 5, Killzone SF and to a lesser extent GT6's high rankings)

Further stats, including the top 100 best selling games across all formats, top tens for each individual formats and more are in the article.

dsy47x.gif

Jamix012

Software down on 2012 (Yes digital might change that)
Hardware up on 2012 but still lower than 2011 and 2010
I dunno, its a pretty bleak picture for the UK market

Dinjooh

Juliet's 8½ Spirits;98239616 said:
sony wrecking in ms territory
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa buddddddddyyyyyyyyyyy

Well yes, but Sony isn't doing that great everywhere.

iPhdy08UC8lDB.gif

PS4 literally fell off a cliff in New Zealand so I expect overall numbers to be abysmal.

Also we have a problem with Saruman and his orc army.

Cimeas

Banned
Not incredibly surprising that a system which is more than $130 more expensive (in Britain) would sell less than the competition.

impact

Banned
Are Microsoft leading Sony in any country? I know they're losing in their two biggest markets but surely they can't be getting shut out?

I don't understand. How is it possible?
NDS has tons of shovelware (and Nintendos evergreen titles) that sell quite well (still).

Furthermore, XBO is quite expensive, so people might buy less games than they'd usually do.

And the data lacks digital sales obviously.

Same for Wii > PS4.

Loudninja

US:
PS4: 2 million
Xbox One:1,817,000

UK:
PS4: 530,000
Xbox One: 364,000

Spain:
PS4:157,000
Xbox One:35,000

France:
PS4:240k
Xbox One:126k

AU:
Xbox One:65,917*first 3 days*

Germany:
PS4: 250K
Xbox One: 100K

Portugual:
PS4:21k
The UK numbers are old though we already had those :p

Jezbollah

I still don't understanding why people are calling the UK a "MS Stronghold"

This country has always gone for what brings value for money.

The OG Xbox didn't do that, it didn't do well against the less expensive PS2.
The PS3 didn't do that, it didn't do well against the Xbox 360 or the Wii.
The Xbox One isn't doing that, it's not doing well against the PS4.

If Microsoft really considered the UK with that "stronghold" mentality, then they would have released the Xbox One with a lot of the TV features that it currently doesn't have, delivering better value. They haven't, and they're paying the price.

CLEEK

If Microsoft really considered the UK with that "stronghold" mentality, then they would have released the Xbox One with a lot of the TV features that it currently doesn't have, delivering better value. They haven't, and they're paying the price.

Like having a Premier League partnership, as per their US NFL one.
Or making sure integration with Virgin and Sky worked out of the box.
Or having UK specific apps like iPlayer working from day one.

They just expected the power of the brand to make the new Xbox sell, without doing anything to make it desirable to the various global markets. The same short sighted idiocy that we've seen with Nintendo and the WiiU.

Jezbollah

Like having a Premier League partnership, as per their US NFL one.
Or making sure integration with Virgin and Sky worked out of the box.
Or having UK specific apps like iPlayer working from day one.

They just expected the power of the brand to make the new Xbox sell, without doing anything to make it desirable to the various global markets. The same short sighted idiocy that we've seen with Nintendo and the WiiU.

Absolutely.

I think there are four total UK TV platforms: Freeview, Freesat, Sky and Virgin. I honestly have no idea how many there are in the states, but I would guess there's a lot more than that.

baekshi

Banned
I still don't understanding why people are calling the UK a "MS Stronghold"

This country has always gone for what brings value for money.

The OG Xbox didn't do that, it didn't do well against the less expensive PS2.
The PS3 didn't do that, it didn't do well against the Xbox 360 or the Wii.
The Xbox One isn't doing that, it's not doing well against the PS4.

Any reason why PS3 isn't selling better than 360 right now? The way I see it is that's better value now. It has way more exclusives this and even last year.

What's with the discrepancy between PC revenue and units?

We're talking PC retail here, so it's mainly focused on WoW, The Sims, Football Manager, and cheap indie games that managed to wrangle a publishing deal to get a few units out of the people who haven't heard of Steam yet.

Jamix012

Somehow I'm surprised Killzone outdid Pokemon

I'd be surprised if that was the case too! (I find it unlikely that Killzone beat Pokemon when you combine X and Y, though I suppose it could be)

Edit: OP you missed Animal Crossing from your list of exclusives.

SmokyDave

Fucking terrible year for the Vita :(

I'm still not clear on how they order software SKUs on the chart. It even includes SKUs that haven't been released yet (Football Manager on Vita for example).

Pain

Banned
Nintendo dominates software sales on their consoles. No wonder 3rd parties can't make money on them.

CLEEK

Any reason why PS3 isn't selling better than 360 right now? The way I see it is that's better value now. It has way more exclusives this and even last year.

One possible reason could be due to the bigger market share of the 360. It means there is a far bigger 2nd hand market for its games. People buying into a console at the end of its life will be very price sensitive, and looking for bargain basement games, of which the 360 has a fuck load of.

Pain

Banned
360 is cheaper and has higher word of mouth and all the big multiplats.

SmokyDave

Nintendo dominates software sales on their consoles. No wonder 3rd parties can't make money on them.
I find it so weird that 3DS is 100% first party. Never seen that on any other platform.

Edit: I should add that I understand why it's 100% first party, I just find it weird to look at.

hongcha

PS4 literally fell off a cliff in New Zealand so I expect overall numbers to be abysmal.

What are you talking about? X1 has been available in NZ since launch, pretty much everywhere. Wii U is no longer stocked by most retailers, and the few shops that still have it are clearing it out for good. PS4 has been nearly impossible to find since launch, and the next shipment is not until next month.

Beant

Fucking terrible year for the Vita :(

I'm still not clear on how they order software SKUs on the chart. It even includes SKUs that haven't been released yet (Football Manager on Vita for example).

Vita owners are elite so they buy digital games.

edit: and digital vita hardware

Top Bottom