• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Sales - PS5 leads for September with sales increase and "all three consoles saw a jump in sales"

GhostOfTsu

Banned
PS5 is slaying the competition in Units and revenue, since the price is way higher than the competition.

Its pretty impressive given the market situation around the world. The more expensive consoles sells the most units is not an easy feat to accomplish.

All this with the competition having thr "best value in gaming" Gamepass, while people are shelling out $70 for Sony 1st party games.
A lot of warriors are still angry at Sony for undercutting Sega with the price of their console. Well, MS is doing exactly that with the price of their console and games. They basically give everything away to make the competition look expensive.

They go back in time to be angry when the same thing is happening in the present 😆

EdGalTBR

Banned
PS5 is slaying the competition in Units and revenue, since the price is way higher than the competition.

Its pretty impressive given the market situation around the world. The more expensive consoles sells the most units is not an easy feat to accomplish.

All this with the competition having thr "best value in gaming" Gamepass, while people are shelling out $70 for Sony 1st party games.
PS5 is not slaying when they both are selling almost the same for the year.

Sony is doing the apple business and it’s working for them basically.

Yeah...PS5 at #1 on hardware sales following its price increase and a game on its 3rd release (that was originally released first only 9 years ago) hitting #5 for the biggest starting price the industry charges is...something.

And the only console exclusive ahead of it is splatoon. GTA is like 10 dollars and the other titles are multiplatform sports games

Kvally

Banned
Good for your country but for most countries this isn't true at all. Consoles are very clearly still being delivered primarily to the UK and USA.
I have yet to see a single PS5 just sitting in a store here in Portugal. You hear similar reports in Spain, Sweden, Norway, etc...

Most of Sony's strongest markets aren't getting decent volume of units yet. Sony is prioritizing the 2 places Xbox doesn't outsell them from 2:1 to bigger gaps because they know they got it already.
I’m in Norway and they are on shelves here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A lot of warriors are still angry at Sony for undercutting Sega with the price of their console. Well, MS is doing exactly that with the price of their console and games. They basically give everything away to make the competition look expensive.

They go back in time to be angry when the same thing is happening in the present 😆
Console warring, the ever shifting spectrum of ebb and flow.

reksveks

IJQhegM.png

Console HW YoY still down a chunk

Iced Arcade

September (176k total):
NSW 48k
XBS 64k
PS5 65k

YTD: (1.05m total)
NSW ~343k
XBS ~349k
PS5 ~365k

Estimates from IBF

Stone Cold Slay GIF by ION

jm89

Series s was supposed to be the game changer by undercutting sony, people expecting mass market to somehow to go crazy for it. Shits being sold cheaper then almost the ps4 at the end of it's of life to get it of shelves.

Last edited:

yazenov

PS5 is not slaying when they both are selling almost the same for the year.

While you do have a point if we're talking about the UK market only, but worldwide it's not even close. More like nearly 2x unit sales from the estimates which was posted in this forum earlier from a reputable company. That's with the severe PS5 shortages.

Last edited:

jm89

PS5 had Gran Turismo 7, Horizon Forbidden West and The Last of Us Part 1, also numerous marketing deals for games like Call of Duty and FIFA. Even so, it sold the same of Xbox.

i wouldn't call that "slaying".
Are you comparing the totals? Ps5 availablity was abysmal the first half of the year especially jan-march, it was sitting behind both series x/s and switch.

After stock got improved it jumped all the way to one within a few months.

That's what i would call slaying.

reksveks

October: 228,632 units
November: 422,138 units (down 53%YoY)
December: 560,000 units
Q4 last year was 1.21m

More estimates, obviously take with a pinch of salt but the numbers do generally align

YTD:
NSW ~345k (vs ~525k last year)
XBS ~350k (vs ~425k last year)
PS5 ~365k (vs ~690k last year)

So means that NSW sold 675k, PS5 510k and Xbox 375k last Q4

Last edited:
Microsoft going for the casuals. Seeing alot of series s with fifa ads. Surprised to see no mention of series x at all.

PS5 on top, as expected.

JackMcGunns

Was it really worth it xbox not increasing the price?

Sure you got some short term positive pr and ms can eat the cost easily, but long term it has done nothing really.

I think you're missing the point. The fact that people are paying upwards of $800 just to get either a Series X or PS5 speaks volumes, that doesn't however mean that people expecting to pay retail prices won't be pissed about a price increase. Sony is like, if scalpers can do it and get away with it, then why can't we? Sure you can Sony, but people dislike scalpers, so why join the list?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PS5 had Gran Turismo 7, Horizon Forbidden West and The Last of Us Part 1, also numerous marketing deals for games like Call of Duty and FIFA. Even so, it sold the same of Xbox.

This so much. Ps5 has all these exclusives this year and god of war to come and its selling a few k more units than xbox.....I don't know how that can be spun as positive when xbox hasn't had a big exclusive this year....sounds pretty bad to me tbh.

Deffo far from "slaying"

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
With rumors of a latter 2023 release...

I think it's getting a surge because it's a good machine that plays great versions of 3rd party games with good exclusives coming.

I think it's a lot more simpler than that.

If there's more stock, the new consoles all sell more. Outside of seeing some Series S's in some targets here and there, all 3 of the new consoles are in high demand. If they are available, people buy them.

noise36

I think stock has improved as in Australia right now you can buy a ps5 from various places, dont seem to be selling out.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think stock has improved as in Australia right now you can buy a ps5 from various places, dont seem to be selling out.

That's the dream. We're 2 years later but finally consoles are being seen on shelves more often than ever before.

vivftp

This so much. Ps5 has all these exclusives this year and god of war to come and its selling a few k more units than xbox.....I don't know how that can be spun as positive when xbox hasn't had a big exclusive this year....sounds pretty bad to me tbh.

Deffo far from "slaying"

... "sounds pretty bad".

Has Sony sold all the PS5's they shipped to the UK so far this year? Is demand still far outpacing supply?

If the answer to the above questions is, "yes", they explain how that sounds pretty bad please. Stock shortages only started turning around in July, before that the PS5 had severely low stock levels globally for the first half of the year.

Anyways, we'll have a much better idea of where the PS5's global shipments stand in a couple weeks when they have their quarterly report. I'm curious if they're still on pace to hit that 18 million figure.

Deffo far from "slaying"
Y'all talking as if Sony couldn't move PS5 units from the stores or something, lmao.

They are selling everything they can produce.

Also...sold "the same" according to who? It's outselling it in the UK, probably most of all countries WW as well. Uk just had 100% sales increase of the Series consoles and it still couldn't outsell the PS5.

If PS5 didn't have a single exclusive game this year it would've sold the same as it has right now.

What's interesting is how every store has Series S units...it costs half of a PS5, Gamepass bundled almost for free for 3 months...you can literally spend 300$ or 300€ and take all of this to your home...and yet, the one console that sells out, the one you can't find in a shelf and outsells this one is a console that's being sold for the double of this price, where each new game costs 70$ or 80€ and that just got a hardware price increase

Slaying isn't just about how many consoles are being sold. Context matters lol.

Last edited:

Deffo far from "slaying"

....or theres a 'next gen' xbox thats literally half the price of a ps5 right now and the ps5 is still the highest selling console 3 months in a row and possibly for the entire year.

the fact that Sony raised the price of the PS5 and got a good deal of negative publicity while Microsoft is running huge discounts and promotional deals for the series S which are always in stock and still being outsold sounds pretty bad

Last edited:

freefornow

Stock has improved for sure, but still mostly require a pre-order to secure. Pre-order notifications are becoming more regular with shorter times between.
There are definitely places where you can walk in and pick them up, but that is not universal. Chains like JB-HiFi is still very much store location dependent and for walk in's only.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Y'all talking as if Sony couldn't move PS5 units from the stores or something, lmao.

They are selling everything they can produce.

Also...sold "the same" according to who? It's outselling it in the UK, probably most of all countries WW as well. Uk just had 100% sales increase of the Series consoles and it still couldn't outsell the PS5.

If PS5 didn't have a single exclusive game this year it would've sold the same as it has right now.

What's interesting is how every store has Series S units...it costs half of a PS5, Gamepass bundled almost for free for 3 months...you can literally spend 300$ or 300€ and take all of this to your home...and yet, the one console that sells out, the one you can't find in a shelf and outsells this one is a console that's being sold for the double of this price, where each new game costs 70$ or 80€ and that just got a hardware price increase

Slaying isn't just about how many consoles are being sold. Context matters lol.

SO Sony are selling everything they can produce, and so are MS so we are al;l in agreement that if MS could have produced 150 percent more consoles than the 100 percent they managed they would have outsold Sony? It's still all about who can deliver the most stock and not really the games line up on the machines.

That's what I was implying is pretty bad tbh, We are still not in a postition where games are actually pushing these boxes....it's just demand and theres definitely more demand for playstation, which is expected due to their dominance last gen and brand.

jm89

SO Sony are selling everything they can produce, and so are MS so we are al;l in agreement that if MS could have produced 150 percent more consoles than the 100 percent they managed they would have outsold Sony? It's still all about who can deliver the most stock and not really the games line up on the machines.

That's what I was implying is pretty bad tbh, We are still not in a postition where games are actually pushing these boxes....it's just demand and theres definitely more demand for playstation, which is expected due to their dominance last gen and brand.
Nope in the UK ms are not selling everything they produce whilst Sony are. If Sony had more consistent stock then they would outsell the competition even more.

Nope in the UK ms are not selling everything they produce whilst Sony are. If Sony had more consistent stock then they would outsell the competition even more.

Yeah. Xbox has been in stock all year and Sony had a big shortage last quarter. They actually recently shot up to 1st place and that gap will grow with even more stock coming in. Microsoft made a genius move with series s. It's the only way they have a chance at keeping up.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah. Xbox has been in stock all year and Sony had a big shortage last quarter. They actually recently shot up to 1st place and that gap will grow with even more stock coming in. Microsoft made a genius move with series s. It's the only way they have a chance at keeping up.

Yup, It's great to see MS saw how they can compete and went for it. Series S is earning a lot of respect. Genius move.

Releasing games would do nothing to xbox console sales apparently.

Even something big and exclusive like a BGS RPG?

Top Bottom