• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Software Sales (1st Half 2015)

Bruno MB

UK Software Sales chart (units, retail only) for the first half of 2015.

6XuSQZr.png

3lZAhbu.png

Source: GFK Chart-Track via MCV magazine.

1H2015 - £283.35M, 9.29M units
1H2014 - £304.69M, 10.7M units
1H2013 - £273.36M, 11.3M units
1H2012 - £321.72M, 13.8M units
1H2011 - £480.30M, 20.8M units
1H2010 - £532.00M, 23.6M units
1H2009 - £689.70M, 27.7M units
1H2008 - £821.10M, 33.2M units

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
As somebody not from the UK I find it kind of crazy that 3DS + Wii U SW sales combined are barely ahead of the PS3.

Although I guess its not that crazy considering PS3 still gets the big 3rd party stuff like FIFA and what not.

Also Vita :(

Tenebrous

Physical PC numbers are terrible because no Blizzard games have been released this year, I guess. 2014 had Warlords of Draenor & Reaper of Souls.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Physical PC numbers are terrible because no Blizzard games have been released this year, I guess. 2014 had Warlords of Draenor & Reaper of Souls.
Also it will take until 2017 until the Champions League final is in the U.K. again so no Germans visiting to buy the uncensored version of Farm Simulator.

Bruno MB

I now realize that I forgot to use a period to indicate the decimal place -_-

Edit: I fixed some things.

sono

Gold Member
Thank you for those figures.

While the average between PS4 and XB1 is just over 100,000 per month in favour of PS4 the trend over the period is widening also in favour of PS4.

I know the UK has historically had a strong XBOX following so it will be interesting to see if that trend continues

kadotsu

Banned
From a ~60/40 split in favor of Xbox to a ~57/43 in favor of PlayStation. Complete turnaround in MS' second market.

That last gen drop-off YOY. What was it like for the last period?

Also these things only tell half of the story as hardware sold is also of interest as it helps explain is more software as they are more appealing now or is it just more people have access to the hardware? Though access to hardware is not absolute (otherwise Wii and DS would top) as active users of hardware matter.

Also seeing that Mario Party bump on Wii U software sales (it was released in March and that month was about 10k more than the adjacent months absent of new releases of course that ignores matters of some months would be less/more regardless of software but software being a big driver still).

Dat Splatoon bump.
It came out in May...the worst Month (as did Kirby). Slow start I'd say. Also June had Yoshi so that is a few % as well.

I'm running PS3 and Xbone this generation (with a WiiU but I haven't bought a game since Mario Kart 8 came out) so yeah, I still see PS3 games selling a lot. I didn't realise so many people had adopted PS4 and Xbone already.

Shiggy

Surprised by how little 3DS software sales have decreased. The first half has been pretty low on new (quality) releases. Then again, 3DS software sales are pretty low altogether.

RulkezX

It is sad that we don't have numbers for digital sales.

While they are important for US figures I doubt they would change much here, the digital cost is just too much compared to retail, no one is paying an extra 50% just for the convenience of not going to Tesco on release day.

Edit : In the console space of course. PC is a different beast.

Surprised by how little 3DS software sales have decreased. The first half has been pretty low on new (quality) releases. Then again, 3DS software sales are pretty low altogether.
You say this year has been light, but last year was also really light...

Waveset

I wondered how the Vita's been doing over here, slightly better than the DS looking at that. I've bought 12-15 games for it this year, none of them physical.

Interesting. PS4 software sales are also growing YoY more than those on XB1. Momentum could become too big in PS4's favour and turn this into 60/40 split easily, and then accelerate from there.

blakep267

Interesting. PS4 software sales are also growing YoY more than those on XB1. Momentum could become too big in PS4's favour and turn this into 60/40 split easily, and then accelerate from there.
Ehh I see gears forza and halo being relatively big sellers and then you add 3rd parties which both consoles will get, so I'm not sure about it getting that big. This year at least

Bruno MB

That last gen drop-off YOY. What was it like for the last period?

Also these things only tell half of the story as hardware sold is also of interest as it helps explain is more software as they are more appealing now or is it just more people have access to the hardware? Though access to hardware is not absolute (otherwise Wii and DS would top) as active users of hardware matter.

Also seeing that Mario Party bump on Wii U software sales (it was released in March and that month was about 10k more than the adjacent months absent of new releases of course that ignores matters of some months would be less/more regardless of software but software being a big driver still).

It came out in May...the worst Month (as did Kirby). Slow start I'd say. Also June had Yoshi so that is a few % as well.

The reported period for the month of May was from April 26th to May 23rd, Splatoon hadn't been released yet.

Around 40 - 45% of June Wii U software sales belonged to Splatoon.

Edit: March was a 5 week month, the weekly average is nearly identical to other months with the exception of January and June.

EvB

As somebody not from the UK I find it kind of crazy that 3DS + Wii U SW sales combined are barely ahead of the PS3.

Although I guess its not that crazy considering PS3 still gets the big 3rd party stuff like FIFA and what not.

Also Vita :(

Those formats spike massively in the run up to Christmas, it's always been the same with the handheld stuff.

Bruno MB

Overall software sales:

1H 2015 - 9,342,111
1H 2014 - 10,697,000
1H 2013 - 11,340,000
1H 2012 - 13,752,016
1H 2011 - 21,925,509 (as of July 16th, 2011)

You compare the numbers and it's no bloody wonder the likes of Tearaway and Gravity Rush are coming to the PS4.

Poor Vita. You deserved better.

ZhugeEX

Banned
UK retail is awful.

You can say that again. I dont think i've set foot in a dedicated video game retailer or bought a game in store since 2010 or something like that.

Also the UK video game market hasn't grown at all over the years. The opposite in fact.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Thanks for this Bruno. Is there a web source for this information, or is it in the magazine?

You can view the digital edition of the magazine online at mcvuk.com/digital-edition

I typed link from memory so someone correct me if i'm wrong. On my phone so can't be bothered to search.

You can say that again. I dont think i've set foot in a dedicated video game retailer or bought a game in store since 2010 or something like that.

Also the UK video game market hasn't grown at all over the years. The opposite in fact.

This is what I noticed.

That must be troubling for everyone, unless digital is picking up the slack.

Top Bottom