• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Software Top 10 Game Sales of 2020

Astorian

Yes, compared to other Sony games:

image.png

Spider-Man physical only in 3 1/2 months: 676,621
TLOU2 including digital in 6 1/2 months: 539,247
I guess GoW really did bomb as well going by your logic, and don’t get me started with Ghost, Sucker Punch should be shutting down any moment now.

ethomaz

Banned

image.png

So GoW is even more bomb?

God of War physical in 8 1/2 months: 399,395

Or it is better to accept the reality?

Last edited:
I guess GoW really did bomb as well going by your logic, and don’t get me started with Ghost, Sucker Punch should be shutting down any moment now.
Everything is relativ to expectations. GOW sold slightly more than TLOU2, but there was not that expectation of being the biggest, best selling exclusive.

Same goes for Gohst even more

Astorian

Everything is relativ to expectations. GOW sold slightly more than TLOU2, but there was not that expectation of being the biggest, best selling exclusive.

Same goes for Gohst even more
Who’s expectations? Unless you can provide sources saying Sony is labeling TLoU II as a bomb then you really have nothing.

JimboJones

Just as a comparison

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2011/jan/10/top-selling-games-of-2010

2010 All Formats Chart
1. Call of Duty: Black Ops
2. FIFA 11
3. Just Dance
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Wii Fit Plus
6. Just Dance 2
7. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
8. Wii Sports Resort
9. Halo: Reach
10. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

FIFA, cod, Assassin's creed, popular casual Nintendo games and a Rockstar game!

It would be interesting to see from 2000 if that information is about lol

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, but, if I want a football game, I buy a football game and I'm good. I don't need a new one every year. I guess people want to roleplay their teams with exactly the same roster and always the accurate haircut and tatoo of every player. I always laugh my ass off when I see PlayStations for sale with like every Fifa game from 2013 till today.

Is it bad that I’m perfectly happy playing Kick Off 2?

Yoboman

GTA has just gotta be full of kids every year who have always wanted it and their parents finally deemed them old enough. Or they could buy it themselves

I can't think of any other explanation for how it keeps finding more customers

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
GTA has just gotta be full of kids every year who have always wanted it and their parents finally deemed them old enough. Or they could buy it themselves

I can't think of any other explanation for how it keeps finding more customers

It’s people buying in-game cash with those stupid cards.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It's no Sensible World of Soccer, but it's good enough :)

I like a bit of SWOS but KO2 is the daddy, though I also appreciate the genius of Dino Dini’s Goal (the true Kick Off 3). Such a good game - would be perfect if defending was a little better.

Yoboman

TLOU1 was one of the biggest hits of the last (last) generation. Not sure how high Sony's expectations were for TLOU2, but I doubt they expected it to finish 8th in the year behind an Ass Creed game.
It took years to accumulate those numbers for TLOU

Ass Creed does 10 - 20 million between each game. Its bigger and multiplat and in the top 15 best selling franchises of all time

I think people forger how big AC is

Who’s expectations? Unless you can provide sources saying Sony is labeling TLoU II as a bomb then you really have nothing.
The expectations of those people who said it bombed? The expectations of those people who thought it would sell better than any other Sony game and more than TLOU1.

Sony will not talk about their expectations. My personal guess is initial sales were exceeding Sony's expectations, but legs lag way behind.

I always said TLOU2 will do worse than Spider-Man. It's just not that huge IP and does not appeal to minors. Controversy also might hurt legs. Initial sales not so much.

But at the end of the day, TLOU2 will fail to outsell GOW and that's at least below my expectations even tho that is already a very high expectation.

Gerdav

People buying the same fifa game every year, over and over again.

Picard Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

It’s not even like FIFA is a good game, I absolutely love football but the FIFA games are pure garbage, and the main mode is nothing but a pay to win gambling simulator.

Bryank75

Banned
Not just the UK, Ireland is very like that chart too....

I understand how Fifa brings in a lot of money to the industry but it goes to EA, which is terrible.
The lack of consideration for games beyond Fifa and COD is sickening.

Woopah

The expectations of those people who said it bombed? The expectations of those people who thought it would sell better than any other Sony game and more than TLOU1.

Sony will not talk about their expectations. My personal guess is initial sales were exceeding Sony's expectations, but legs lag way behind.

I always said TLOU2 will do worse than Spider-Man. It's just not that huge IP and does not appeal to minors. Controversy also might hurt legs. Initial sales not so much.

But at the end of the day, TLOU2 will fail to outsell GOW and that's at least below my expectations even tho that is already a very high expectation.
Spiderman is the best selling Sony game of all time, including the combined PS3 and PS4 sales of the original Last of Us. No one should have expected TLOU2 to beat Spiderman.

Not sure about worldwide, but in the UK TLOU2 is selling faster then GOW. So in the UK TLOU2 has actually sold better than your expectations.

yurinka

Basically FIFA, COD, GTA, AC, some Nintendo big seller (Mario/AC/Pokemon/MK) and some Sony big seller (this case TLOU2). Seems like a normal European chart.

yurinka

image.png

In that list appears GoW 2018 physial only in 9 1/2 months 399,395.

We also should remember that Spiderman and GoW should be some of the best selling PS exclusives ever. TLOU2 didn't bomb.

Last edited:

iHaunter

UK has such terrible taste in games. It's no wonder they spend thousands on Microtransactions on a terrible soccer game.

Orta

Banned
Without looking at the OP I'm guessing absolute SHITE like Fifa 20 & 21, Asassins Creed and a COD game are occupying the top slots.

Just as they will at the end of this year too.

Zzzzzzzz.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
SWOS is my top football game of all time, I still play it from time to time (the amiga version).
SWOS > KO
Let's face it, it's like choosing between your favourite children. And then there's Fifa which is the ginger step-child who clearly hasn't had enough beatings today.

ethomaz

Banned
TLOU1 was one of the biggest hits of the last (last) generation. Not sure how high Sony's expectations were for TLOU2, but I doubt they expected it to finish 8th in the year behind an Ass Creed game.
Do you mean it was a biggest year selling years and years including a remaster? Yes.

Hey let’s compare 2013 top sellers in UK.

1. Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar) 3,670,234
2. FIFA 14 (EA) 2,656,763
3. Call Of Duty: Ghosts (Activision) 1,991,994
4. Battlefield 4 (EA) 838,869
5. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft) 776,888
6. Tomb Raider (Square Enix)
7. FIFA 13 (EA)
8. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (WB Games)
9. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft)
10. The Last Of Us (Sony)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

TLOU was never suppose to beat Niche-Man... it is not that niche.

Now from what I know TLOU2 is selling better than GoW and the first game of n the first year... at least the few country data we have it is true.

Now will TLOU2 have better legs? Hard to tell and probably not compared with first game because it won’t have a remaster for double dips.

I believe it will end around 11-13 million sales lifetime... if PS5 had no BC and a 60fps remaster launched then it should have a chance to reach 16-18m.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I've noticed in the UK that most people are heading to PC gaming. So this list for physical sales doesn't surprise me.
The list in OP is for Physical + Digital and includes PC sales.

If you want to compare that is the Physical only list:

1. FIFA 21
2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
4. Minecraft
5. Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
6. FIFA 20
7. The Last Of Us Parte 2
8. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare
9. Assassin's Creed Valhalla
10. Grand Theft Auto 5

Last edited:

martino

Because people like it. The UK loves soccer, so it makes sense. I would ask the same thing about Madden games (which sell a few million in the US) but the answer is the same. Americans love American football.
The only sad thing here is this love for sport is used to milk them as much as possible.

Astorian

Forum dweller’s expectations don’t dictate if a game is a bomb.

down 2 orth

Do you mean it was a biggest year selling years and years including a remaster? Yes.

Hey let’s compare 2013 top sellers in UK.

1. Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar) 3,670,234
2. FIFA 14 (EA) 2,656,763
3. Call Of Duty: Ghosts (Activision) 1,991,994
4. Battlefield 4 (EA) 838,869
5. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft) 776,888
6. Tomb Raider (Square Enix)
7. FIFA 13 (EA)
8. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (WB Games)
9. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft)
10. The Last Of Us (Sony)

You make an interesting point. But let's consider a couple more points:

- More than twenty million people had bought TLOU 1 by the time TLOU 2 released.
- The first game was showered in awards and accolades by the end of the year (just like TLOU2, lol).
- Word of mouth for the first game was fantastic, and built up over years.

By the time TLOU 2 launched, it had huge recognition from the positive reception of the first game and from a very expensive marketing campaign. Hence the very high sales in the first few days. Do you think with that kind of momentum, Sony expected the game to finish near the base of the totem pole here? It's a lot closer in numbers to Rainbow Six than it is to Ass Creed.

Woopah

You make an interesting point. But let's consider a couple more points:

- More than twenty million people had bought TLOU 1 by the time TLOU 2 released.
- The first game was showered in awards and accolades by the end of the year (just like TLOU2, lol).
- Word of mouth for the first game was fantastic, and built up over years.

By the time TLOU 2 launched, it had huge recognition from the positive reception of the first game and from a very expensive marketing campaign. Hence the very high sales in the first few days. Do you think with that kind of momentum, Sony expected the game to finish near the base of the totem pole here? It's a lot closer in numbers to Rainbow Six than it is to Ass Creed.
But Valhalla is one of the most successful games in the Assain's Creed series and it's multiplatform. Non-Nintendo exclusives are always going to struggle against multiplatform games so TLOU2 even making this chart is pretty good.

Kokoloko85

So sad to see Fifa 20 and 21 in there.... Wish another studio had the rights to Fifa/ Real players to get EA out of here and show them a real football/soccer game.
Good to see TLOU2 in there and Animal Crossing. The only 1st party console exclusives in the list

Last edited:
Top Bottom