• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Watch Dogs 2 week two sales up from week one, now in line with recent AC games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently Watch Dogs 2 had a good recovery this week.

There's a lot more numbers at the link. We have separate threads about Pokemon being Nintendo's best ever launch and the PS4 having its best sales from launch elsewhere already though.

GamesIndustry.biz said:
Black Friday discounting also had a major impact on Watch Dogs 2. The game had a disappointing launch last week, but sales actually increased in its second week, boosted by some mild discounting on the title. It's good news for Ubisoft's game, as its install base is now in-line with the performance of recent Assassin's Creed titles.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare finally overtook Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 apparently saw some good growth as well:

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare has dropped to No.2, but the title nevertheless enjoyed a really strong week-on-week rise in sales, and the title has now overtaken Battlefield 1 as the UK's biggest shooter. The title was reduced to below £25 at UK retailer Sainsbury's.

It comes as good news for UK retail after a run of disappointing launch week sales for Titanfall 2 (which also saw a big sales spike thanks to Black Friday discounts, including a £20 offer at HMV), Dishonored 2, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare and Watch Dogs 2.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-and-moon-is-nintendos-biggest-ever-uk-launch

Koobion

Removing the genitals upped sales! :(
Homes
This is interesting, because I think maybe it's a good example of people seeing others playing the game and streaming it, and discovering they want the game after all.

liquidtmd

Banned
Knocking £20+ titles that were only launched four weeks ago still seems like a pretty shitty practice to boost sales, Black Friday or no Black Friday.

Removing the genitals upped sales! :(

This is interesting, because I think it's a good example of people seeing others playing the game and streaming it, and discovering they want the game after all.

Nah. People heard about them and rushed out to buy a copy only to find they've been removed.

Ubisoft's tale of tail is true.

Maybe I overreacted.

raw

That being said thank God because the game is dope.

Bluecondor

I was really disappointed with the first one, but the impressions on here were so overwhelmingly positive that I pulled the trigger two days after it released.

Great atmosphere, fun missions, interesting characters. The game has flaws, but they are trivial in comparison to the big picture.

Awesome game.

AHA-Lambda

Knocking £20+ titles that were only launched four weeks ago still seems like a pretty shitty practice to boost sales, Black Friday or no Black Friday.

This. That TF2 and CoD IW are selling well now means little if they're already more than half price >_>

Watch Dogs 2 though fair enough.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The game seems to a helluva lot more deserving of success that it's predecessor, it seems. Hopefully the good word of mouth will reward this game a bit for giving the franchise a personality.

I've had a lot of fun with the game, despite its problems (gunplay, driving, checkpoints). It definitely scratches the open world itch and between the characters, presentation and hacking it manages to feel fresh in a genre that Ubisoft has spent the past few years overcrowding.

Plus - no towers!

To be honest, I think its ignorant of the industry to assume most of their customers aren't bright enough to wait for the obvious price cuts that come not only on Black Friday, but in the run up to Christmas in general. There's always a torrent of big titles in the holiday season, so customers - myself included - will look for ways to play them all but to save on what adds up to a substantial cost if everything is bought at full price.

Deserved.

Gave the first WD all of five minutes, but WD2 I am enjoying *a lot*. It is very silly. (Though I played quite a sombre/rather messed up mission earlier this morning.)

Apparently Watch Dogs 2 had a good recovery this week.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare finally overtook Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 apparently saw some good growth as well:

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-and-moon-is-nintendos-biggest-ever-uk-launch
That's....very unsurprising.

All of those games were going for really, really low prices.

COD:IW Legacy Edition going for the price of the normal edition, BF1 and TF2 going for around 30 pounds, COD:IW for 25...

Sure, it's growth, but it comes at a cost.

Strong reviews and word of mouth generate success... Unless you're Deus Ex ;_;

While I was playing DE I loved it to death. Then I reached the final act, and it was like MGS V all over again - it tarnished the best part of the game because the ending felt rushed and incomplete. It transformed what was a great experience into a disappointment and made the game forgettable (to me, IMO etc etc).

I was picking up a PS4 slim yesterday and went with the watch dogs bundle after seeing people give it a shot and come away happy compared to the first game.

You'd have sales would increase for a newly-released title considering they discounted it at various outlets.

Word of mouth should help with this game – I would have definitely purchased it had I not been waiting for FFXV.

even 2 weeks of WD2 sales are still circa 40% down on Watchdogs week 1 launch.

Week 1 sales were also not good, so its not like its an increase on great numbers, i guess they need the positive PR.

Will also be interesting to see the drop in this weeks numbers.

even 2 weeks of WD2 sales are still circa 40% down on Watchdogs week 1 launch.

Week 1 sales were also not good, so its not like its an increase on great numbers, i guess they need the positive PR.

Will also be interesting to see the drop in this weeks numbers.

Yep. I expect sales will drop like a rock again this week, assuming it goes back up to full price.

Ragona

Could be people waiting for black friday sales, hopefully it is people stopping mindlessly preordering and giving quality a chance.

Top Bottom