• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(UK) Xbox One X Hits 80k Copies Sold, Matches Switch Launch Sales, Beats PS4 Pro

NeoRaider

The first week sales of Xbox One X is over 80,000 in the UK, GamesIndustry.biz can reveal.

Retailers have shared data that reveal that Microsoft's new super-powered console has sold as many units in its first week as Nintendo Switch did in March (hardware figures are up-weighted 20%. Xbox One X raw data is at 67,000).

It's first week sales are also well ahead of PS4 Pro, which did a little over 50,000 back in November 2016. Indeed, it took PS4 Pro four weeks to reach the same number.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-13-xbox-one-x-hits-80-000-uk-sales-in-first-week

Great numbers.

We need a strong competition on that market, so I guess it's a good thing. I wonder if they have enough unity for the demand. Nintendo had not enough units at launch, so that's not the best indicator for the demand.

Pretty good for what was a muted launch in retail stores and on the marketing front. That most sales were for the project scorpio edition indicates that the majority of day one buyers preordered months ago.

Switch was the launch of a whole new platform and had a much bigger push behind it.

Wonder how it'll do long-term versus One S sales.

Taker666

It's a good start...but I can't help but think both the One X and PS4 Pro are largely just preaching to the converted.

A nice extra boost for their sales revenue..but I doubt it's expanding the userbase much.

Swass

Per the other forum, PS4 Pro and Switch were supply constrained while there were plenty of Xbox One X systems on shelves, meaning comparing sales to the competition is not an accurate gauge of its launch success.. that said still a nice start..

EvB

Sell thru or sold?
Ms used to do sale or return on the One at launch in the UK.

UK figures generally come from Chart Track, which are sold to consumer figures.

Publishers and developers know how many copies of games they sold to distributors/retailers, what they are interested is how many consumers have purchased, which is why they will pay for companies to generate said data.

8bitghost

Code:
PS4 ----------- 250,000 --- 2 days
Xbox One ------ 150,000 --- 2 days
Switch -------- 80,000 ---- 2 days
Xbox One X ---- 80,000 ---- 5 days
PS4 Pro ------- 50,000 ---- 3 days

* hardware figures are up-weighted 20%
** stock shortages of both PS4 Pro and Switch will have impacted the performance of those machines

mad597

Banned
Per the other forum, PS4 Pro and Switch were supply constrained while there were plenty of Xbox One X systems on shelves, meaning comparing sales to the competition is not an accurate gauge of its launch success.. that said still a nice start..

Excuses Excuses

mad597

Banned
Code:
PS4 ----------- 250,000 --- 2 days
Xbox One ------ 150,000 --- 2 days
Switch -------- 80,000 ---- 2 days
Xbox One X ---- 80,000 ---- 5 days
PS4 Pro ------- 50,000 ---- 3 days

* hardware figures are up-weighted 20%
** stock shortages of both PS4 Pro and Switch will have impacted the performance of those machines

* Excuses needed to downplay Xbox One X
* Can't give MS credit

Not Drake

* Can't give MS credit

Come on now. You don't need to get defensive like that. The number of days tracked and stock situation puts context on the sales.

OT: Good number. Xbox division deserved the success with the hardware they delivered and the consistent messaging since the reveal 17 months ago.

mad597

Banned
Come on now. You don't need to get defensive like that. The number of days tracked and stock situation puts context on the sales.

OT: Good number. Xbox division deserved the success with the hardware they delivered and the consistent messaging since the reveal 17 months ago.

Typical Sonygaf bullshit to donwplay anything positive for the Xbox

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I imagine there is a lot more people upgrading from XB One to XB ONE X then there was with Pro, a lot PS4 users was happy sticking with the OG PS4.
Good news for MS, not sure about Nintendo

Klart

Good to see MS having some succes. They were taking some serious hits with the PS4 & Switch leading (recent monthly) consoles sales. Competition is good for everyone.

cormack12

Gold Member
Those numbers are pretty solid especially given the price.

I think it would be interesting to see the slow in sales for the base models of the Xbox One/S and PS4 during the release weeks. Probably give you an insight into whether it's increasing userbase or existing users rebuying the latest and greatest.

I think really though the Xbox one X is about getting momentum at the tail end of this gen when the Pro will look a bit more tired on multiplats and MS has a bit of time to get some real big hitting exclusives out there, ideally to reclaim some share heading into next generation - whatever that will look like.

thelastword

Banned
Yeah, I think MS had lots of stock compared to the rest. Still, how is it that they used a weighted number insteaad of the raw? The OP states that the PRO version is over 50k, but we dont have a definite figure of how close it was to 67k...

i_karan

Neo Member
Xbox One X on paper looks like a king of multiplats, but I think it's a bit too late in the console cycle to take that place. Still, I really hope they have great success with such a great product.

It sold more so only ones are crying is you sony fanboys

Just typical sonygaf excuses being made for Sony, so does that mean Sony had "yield issues" with pro if they so supply constrained but couldn't match X1X sales?

Typical Sonygaf bullshit to donwplay anything positive for the Xbox

* Can't give MS credit

Excuses Excuses

You are going to do great around here.

LordRaptor

Just typical sonygaf excuses being made for Sony, so does that mean Sony had "yield issues" with pro if they so supply constrained but couldn't match X1X sales?

I mean, if you really want a console warrior response, MS had plenty of stock available in the UK because the UK is one of the only countries in the world that actually give a shit about Xbox, and Sony had to try and meet demand in multiple different territories.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
"Yield issues"

which means they couldn't make enough to supply the region. I don't think anyone is down playing the sales of 1x, but sony had to make a decision on how many went to each region at launch and from that point, they were just fucked because they couldn't get any more on shelves.

Aggie CMD

As a "core" gamer for lack of a better term, this a good sign to encourage both Sony and Microsoft to invest in premium console experiences. I understand the benefits of a blue ocean strategy and expanded player bases but I want to live on the cutting edge of living room entertainment.

Journey

Banned

Wait.. what??

MS says, demand for Xbox One X is super high We get a series of naysayers saying MS is lying about demand using availability as proof, after all if they're not sold out, it must mean MS is bullshitting about demand being high, without even knowing their output... amirite? . Now we have some proof about great sales, and suddenly it's not fair because others are constrained? wtf am I reading? lmao.

Wait.. what??

MS says, demand for Xbox One X is super high We get a series of naysayers saying MS is lying about demand using availability as proof, after all if they're not sold out, it must mean MS is bullshitting about demand being high, without even knowing their output... amirite? . Now we have some proof about great sales, and suddenly it's not fair because others are constrained? wtf am I reading? lmao.

Yeah, it really is quite crazy how people do this. I don’t even think they consciously do it to be honest - I think they are just so in love with their preferred console that it just comes out.

I’ll never understand it...

Top Bottom