• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultima X is Cancelled

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wow, we had some reservations on it (unlike TFLO)

World of Warcraft wins again!

Seriously, though, the overcrowded MMO market is thinning itself out before these titles even launch ... tons and tons of done or nearly-done games never even seeing the light of day.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
JackFrost2012 said:
World of Warcraft wins again!

Seriously, though, the overcrowded MMO market is thinning itself out before these titles even launch ... tons and tons of done or nearly-done games never even seeing the light of day.

that's not really a surprise. the MMO market seems awfully similar to the "internet money explosion" of the late 90s. everything thinks there's gold to be found in the genre, but who's actually making it? companies like interplay think they can cure their entire financial situation taking advantage of it!

i wonder when the madness stops.

Suerte

UO must still be really profitable, but seriously, how old is it now? No amount of expansion packs can stop it from dying eventually, they should have a new game ready to go...

Belfast

The genre needs good, applicable IDEAS, not large amounts of cash thrown at creating a number of gameplay promises which are never fulfilled.

Say what you will about FFXI, but it was actually a fairly solid entry into the MMO world.

I ask now, though, how many MMORPGs have promised and actually delivered on customized player housing?

When you get right down to it, though, most of these games end up being the same thing with PR hypemasters simply giving rote features found in any other MMORPG new names and new spins and anything that actually does sound unique and interesting gets axed before release.

Suerte

Tabula Rasa looks slightly PSOish

trwsscrns_may04_013.jpg

trwsscrns_may04_015.jpg

How far along is it?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Good news. Exactly the same thing happened to UO2. Haha. Origin's dead EA, fuck you EA.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
And I guess this explains that UO 7th Anniversary Edition comprehensive UO collection that just came out for 20 bucks.

ManaByte

Suerte said:
Tabula Rasa looks slightly PSOish

trwsscrns_may04_013.jpg

trwsscrns_may04_015.jpg

How far along is it?

Tabula Rasa is pretty early. However, what they demoed at E3 was very promising and pretty fun. All voice chat, all the time.

I met Lord British at E3 and he demoed Tabula Rasa for me. (If I'd had known, I'd have gotten him to sign my super-kawaii Famicom Ultima IV.)

The game's been in development for three years and looks very good. Four-person parties, full voice chat, no randomly-generated content, instantly teleport to any of your friends, everyone starts with a house, Chris Vrenna doing the soundtrack (it's space agey, tho, not goth rocky).

I'm quite interested in it. "Like PSO" is very accurate; both aesthetically and gameplay wise it seems to be aiming for that "action MMO" feel.

ChrisReid

It's only funny until you realize EA's spent millions upon millions of dollars and six years of time running Origin properties in circles to produce nothing. :( What a waste.

:(

I officially have a reason to hate EA now

So many good ideas - a truly interactive combat system, the ability to invite your friends to teleport to you to make grouping easier - I could go on for ages and have in the past, so I won't now. Pretty much all issues I've ever had with MMORPGs were dealt with.

I've seen WoW (I've got a friend in the beta) and it looks great. It's too bad that it doesn't do everything UXO was going to do, but it's the closest so far.

Man, this sucks...

Discharger said:
So many good ideas - a truly interactive combat system, the ability to invite your friends to teleport to you to make grouping easier - I could go on for ages and have in the past, so I won't now. Pretty much all issues I've ever had with MMORPGs were dealt with.

All those things you mention will be in Tabula Rasa, too.

ferricide

tabula rasa is whitey's first attempt at an MMO that i like the looks of at all. also, the title rules, and it's obviously PSO-influenced (amusingly the NCsoft guy i spoke to at E3 even said 'it's like PSO' to me apropos of nothing.)

ferricide said:
tabula rasa is whitey's first attempt at an MMO that i like the looks of at all. also, the title rules, and it's obviously PSO-influenced (amusingly the NCsoft guy i spoke to at E3 even said 'it's like PSO' to me apropos of nothing.)

I was also told that "the fighting is influenced by Soul Calibur II," which, while undoubtedly an unreached high bar, is way better than "the fighting is influenced by Max Payne."

Top Bottom