• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorBait

Here's a shot in the dark:

Any U.S. players (east coast preferable) of moderate skill level with a PS3 and mic interested in trying to level up together? I'm trying to find some people in my local scene to play casuals with, but I think it would also help to have an online sparring partner.

Azure J

The latter part of this post was chilling in my tab for a while now, so I didn't get to see the SRK community list until now and weirdly enough I agree almost 100% with it. It mirrors a lot of what we've been discussing from time to time in this thread as well.

Ono can stay the hell away from Marvel. Give Nitsuma that much budget, time and stuff he can make a superior game. The Marvel dev team did a great job with Ultimate overall especially when you see where it came from in Vanilla (which people easily forget and shut off from their minds).

Also if you are talking about balance mistakes made for Vanilla... come on now. They barely knew anything about the game and what it would end up being meta game wise and how strategies will develop. You can bet your ass there is going to be some broken shit in SFxTekken coming out the gate (maybe there already is). The important thing is that they acknowledged most of the balance issues and fixed... not go on some agenda of randomly buffing new characters to god tier level so they make all other characters obsolete just for the sake of competitive integrity (*cough* Yun/Yang *cough*).

Just for the record, top 10 best things fixed from Vanilla:

1) Phoenix - Enough said
2) Meter gain nerfed. No more build 3 meter in one combo and LVL3 every character on the opposite team.
3) DHC glitch - Enough said
4) Major X factor nerf on XFLVL1 with minor ones on XFLVL2 and XFLVL2 with additional minimum scaling nerf. You guys have easily forgotten Wolverine running through a character like hot knife through butter and still have half the XFLVL1 left for the incoming next character.
5) Removal of fully invincible assists. Good fucking riddance.
6) Berderper Slash - Enough said
7) Hammer time - Enough said
8) Air dash change - I originally didn't like the change now I love it. Definitely keeps the air dash characters less brain dead and makes zoning much more viable.
9) Majority of characters buffed - That's how you should be going around balancing Marvel.
10) Assists now scale properly in combos

I still don't like mashable hypers, TACs (didn't fix it properly I feel) some of the buffs to the S tiers (*cough* Zero, Wesker & Dorm *cough*) and some of the nerfs to characters who were fine before (She Hulk).

I laughed my ass off at this

Man Vanilla was a wild beast. Still one of my favorite viewer experiences in games in the last 2 or so years though. :lol

I feel like I have two conflicting opinions on X-Factor at the same time. Overall, the idea behind the mechanic is cool and has good reasoning behind it. You lose a lot of advantages in a team based game when your partners all get bodied so here's a temporary buff to set things straight. On the other hand, this means that

I still think a straight Roman Cancel mechanic would have been fucking wonderful to play with though. :lol

Finally, holy shit that kick is godlike.

Airan

Holy christ, I thought SF4's online and from-press-start-to-match speed was poor, but it beats the living shit out of UMVC3's. I go into the menu, I have to wait 10 seconds for "Updating Player Data" (WTF is it updating? I haven't done anything yet!), then it asks me to check for DLC, THEN IT SAVES. Again I've done nothing yet!

And there's no opponent list for Ranked Matches like in SF4, it's just search search search OH found someo-ERROR. The only thing better is that pausing does not break the Ranked Match search during Arcade mode.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I usually just go into training mode then turn the search on.

But finding matches on 360 in Vanilla was horrendous, it would take upwards of forever to find a match.

I am thinking of getting SCV now and waiting for SFxTekken: Super edition or whatever update they have planned for the game. I want to get all the characters without paying for the DLCs one by one. I can definitely wait and hopefully they can get the kinks worked out in the game.
SCV is a beautiful game and I have heard nothing but wonderful things regarding the online experience. The single player is malfested though. Still worth checking out. Just... stay away from the malfested stuff.
I'm trying to decide between this or Blazblue for my first Vita game.
I've played both the Street Fighter and Guilty Gear series extensively, but have no experience with Marvel vs Capcom or Blazblue.

Any suggestions, fellow GAFfers?
I'd recommend BlazBlue if you don't have experience with the series at all. This is probably the most jam packed version yet if you like story and lots of single player. The cast itself is much larger than when it started(19>12) and all of the characters are looking viable. It's not the "Accent Core" of the series quite yet, but it's getting there. The OLED screen also seems to do wonders for 2D sprite type games too.

Buy BlazBlue if you want bang for you buck or a serious fighting game. Buy UMvC3 if you love bullshit and seizures(more of a compliment than insult here lol). A big chunk of the UMvC3 cast is also very viable here as well.
That's what I wish they would have done. Ultimate was definitely a step in the right direction, and certainly made everything more MAHVEL, but at the end of the day, Niitsuma really had a lot of pressure to finish quickly.

I think at this point, the best we can hope for is that he showed Capcom that he can make a great fighter that's more or less true to the original, and has earned their respect. Hence, MvC4.
We can only hope. I think Marvel are assholes at this point though. I'd rather have Niitsuma working on projects where he didn't have to deal with constant rush and stupid decisions behind the scenes. This is why I could get sorta hyped about DSIV under their eye. Sure, they'd probably add a shitty ass mechanic, but they are making the fastest paced games at Capcom right now and the UMvC3 models don't look atrocious like SFIV and SFxT(opinions here).

I think Capcom and Marvel both are assholes. Both rushed the game, and really get the individual dev teams in order. Why the heck would MH dev team say no to a char in the game?

And really, they need to fix She Hulk and buff her due to the buffing of zoning makes her hard as hell to play.

Dahbomb

wesker at 9 is lulz.
Yeah I still have him in S tier because Phantom Dance is still bull shit so is a 1 frame command throw on a character with a godly wave dash.

Technically speaking, Wesker should lose to most of the characters in the top 10-top 15 but he doesn't because most of them are low health characters and in the course of the neutral game they end up taking one too many gun shots either as chip or raw adding to the pressure. They have to play near perfectly where as Wesker usually has more room for error. That's how I describe the Trish match up. I got a pocket Trish + Deadpool combo and due to the low ass damage Trish does in the neutral it's actually a much harder fight against Wesker than it is on paper. I actually do better with my IM against Wesker (lots of chip, half screen normals, option select Repulsor + Unibeam for teleports, Smart Bombs).

Just saw Max' tier list on his nineteenth show for the "Assist me" series and I enjoyed it for the most part. Doom is the only odd man out there(who should have been replaced with Magneto imo). I'd still put him in top ten though. It'd be pretty cool and enlightening to see what the community would vote for if he ever did a "bottom five" tier list as well. I can't wait for his next show on the whole thing with Kusoru and Japanese thoughts regarding Mahvel. I didn't see much of Mahvel at all and I guess I missed some drama at FR?

Are there any archives(I'll take top 16/8 on youtube for high quality :p)?

I feel like those tier lists aren't taking assists into account. One of the reasons you don't see a ton of C. Viper, Zero, Firebrand, and Dormammu is that those characters have pretty mediocre to awful assists. In any team I make, I can guarantee to increase the overall synergy by replacing Dormammu with someone else. It's depressing. Meanwhile, there are the Dante, Wesker, and Strider class characters who get everything.

After Final Round, tier lists just seem silly. It's obvious that the USA is just obsessed with some characters being good and has only graced the tip of this game. Many characters will forever be held as "mid tier" or worse simply because they lack a dedicated fan to take them up. We should all be grateful to Kurosu for helping people open their eyes. If we didn't have ComboFiend in Vanilla, Spencer wouldn't have been acknowledged as the monster he was. Hell, it was and still is far too common to find someone claiming Spencer is only mid tier but ComboFiend just makes him look top. We're lucky some people are taking Morrigan more seriously this time around. It's not like any of her changes are what really make her viable in Ultimate.

Hi!

OmegaZero

I'd recommend BlazBlue if you don't have experience with the series at all. This is probably the most jam packed version yet if you like story and lots of single player. The cast itself is much larger than when it started(19>12) and all of the characters are looking viable. It's not the "Accent Core" of the series quite yet, but it's getting there. The OLED screen also seems to do wonders for 2D sprite type games too.

Buy BlazBlue if you want bang for you buck or a serious fighting game. Buy UMvC3 if you love bullshit and seizures(more of a compliment than insult here lol). A big chunk of the UMvC3 cast is also very viable here as well.

How are their respective online modes?
Does UMvC3's online make up for the lesser amount of single player content? I heard Blazblue's online options are lacking in comparison (and that there's less lag and ragequitters).
If not then it sounds like Blazblue for me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I feel like those tier lists aren't taking assists into account. One of the reasons you don't see a ton of C. Viper, Zero, Firebrand, and Dormammu is that those characters have pretty mediocre to awful assists. In any team I make, I can guarantee to increase the overall synergy by replacing Dormammu with someone else. It's depressing. Meanwhile, there are the Dante, Wesker, and Strider class characters who get everything.

After Final Round, tier lists just seem silly. It's obvious that the USA is just obsessed with some characters being good and has only graced the tip of this game. Many characters will forever be held as "mid tier" or worse simply because they lack a dedicated fan to take them up. We should all be grateful to Kurosu for helping people open their eyes. If we didn't have ComboFiend in Vanilla, Spencer wouldn't have been acknowledged as the monster he was. Hell, it was and still is far too common to find someone claiming Spencer is only mid tier but ComboFiend just makes him look top. We're lucky some people are taking Morrigan more seriously this time around. It's not like any of her changes are what really make her viable in Ultimate.

Hi!

Omg he's back, someone call TMZ!

Welcome back, bud.

Also Trish is that one character people keep saying is good in theory that consistently underwhelms in tournaments and all that. I've yet to see something that's made me believe she's as good as people say she is.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Trish is one of those counterpick characters that can just completely shut down a lot of rushdown from superjump height.

Felicia for example can't touch her at all most of the time without Hidden Missiles or Varja.

Ono can stay the hell away from Marvel. Give Nitsuma that much budget, time and stuff he can make a superior game. The Marvel dev team did a great job with Ultimate overall especially when you see where it came from in Vanilla (which people easily forget and shut off from their minds).

Also if you are talking about balance mistakes made for Vanilla... come on now. They barely knew anything about the game and what it would end up being meta game wise and how strategies will develop. You can bet your ass there is going to be some broken shit in SFxTekken coming out the gate (maybe there already is). The important thing is that they acknowledged most of the balance issues and fixed... not go on some agenda of randomly buffing new characters to god tier level so they make all other characters obsolete just for the sake of competitive integrity (*cough* Yun/Yang *cough*).

Just for the record, top 10 best things fixed from Vanilla:

1) Phoenix - Enough said
2) Meter gain nerfed. No more build 3 meter in one combo and LVL3 every character on the opposite team.
3) DHC glitch - Enough said
4) Major X factor nerf on XFLVL1 with minor ones on XFLVL2 and XFLVL2 with additional minimum scaling nerf. You guys have easily forgotten Wolverine running through a character like hot knife through butter and still have half the XFLVL1 left for the incoming next character.
5) Removal of fully invincible assists. Good fucking riddance.
6) Berderper Slash - Enough said
7) Hammer time - Enough said
8) Air dash change - I originally didn't like the change now I love it. Definitely keeps the air dash characters less brain dead and makes zoning much more viable.
9) Majority of characters buffed - That's how you should be going around balancing Marvel.
10) Assists now scale properly in combos

I still don't like mashable hypers, TACs (didn't fix it properly I feel) some of the buffs to the S tiers (*cough* Zero, Wesker & Dorm *cough*) and some of the nerfs to characters who were fine before (She Hulk).

I laughed my ass off at this

Haven't even read the whole post but this.

I wouldn't go near a Ono-marvel game. Hell fucking no.

Tirael

We can only hope. I think Marvel are assholes at this point though. I'd rather have Niitsuma working on projects where he didn't have to deal with constant rush and stupid decisions behind the scenes. This is why I could get sorta hyped about DSIV under their eye. Sure, they'd probably add a shitty ass mechanic, but they are making the fastest paced games at Capcom right now and the UMvC3 models don't look atrocious like SFIV and SFxT(opinions here).

Well, let's be completely honest here. There IS a chance, no matter how small, that a mechanic they add could improve the game. You're probably right, though. And we also have direct evidence that the DS models could very well look pretty, considering we have three of the characters already polygoned out. It's a good period for fighting games, we'll see how it goes.

I think Capcom and Marvel both are assholes. Both rushed the game, and really get the individual dev teams in order. Why the heck would MH dev team say no to a char in the game?

I agree, it was just bad. Hopefully next time will be better.

Well, a new game shop opened in town. (And currently, it's the only one. Small town.) I was wondering what I should do if they have a Mahvel tournament, trying to iron out my team. I really love the Dante/Frank combo, level 5 with one button press is just so dirty. And I can use both characters moderately well. Dante's toolbox and sword normals are always good, and Frank's toolbox and quasi-sword normals level 4+ have disgusting priority. And perhaps Frank could be a battery with his meter-gain assist to allow Dante to do whatever he wants. I was trying to figure out a third, when it finally came to me.

Arthur.

He got some major buffs in Ultimate, and no one save those that have practiced against him can deal with his zoning game. He's a brutal anchor, XF3 Gold Armor Crossbow is an extremely efficient noob-killer. Gold Lance is brutal as well, it beats out most things save Hypers. If I do have Frank on battery like I plan, I'll have plenty of meter to mess around with.

But if I'm fighting someone who will give me a fight, but not a tough challenge, I could always just anchor Wesker. Anyone can win with Wesker on anchor. /troll

And then I'll bust our Arthur in the Semis. I think I've got this all planned out. I'm evil.

Omg he's back, someone call TMZ!

Welcome back, bud.

Also Trish is that one character people keep saying is good in theory that consistently underwhelms in tournaments and all that. I've yet to see something that's made me believe she's as good as people say she is.
Haha. I'm not really back, but it's finals week so I'm busy writing papers instead of reading, which means I can take a little break and look at what's up. I'd love to play Marvel, but I just have no time. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever have time. Oi.

I think Trish is less popular primarily because she has a kind of Iron Man syndrome going on. She has some good stuff, but why not just pick Magneto? With Vajra and Hidden Missiles being so popular, you can't turtle people to death with her very well, and turtling is ironically discouraged in the competitive scene anyway. As a rushdown character, she doesn't offer anything special. Her best feature is probably Round Harvest, but that requires a specific kind of team to make it worthwhile.

cednym

Banned
I'd make a topic for this if I could, but...

hey all - there's a listing for a new marvel vs capcom 3 version in the computers here at gamestop.

ULTIMATE MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3X - "Expand the ultimate experience. 8 new challengers join the fight!"

there's a listing for july 3 for a dlc voucher @ $14.99 and july 24 for a packaged disc version @ $39.99.

not sure if i can post this, but this is what they're using for the placeholder
WEZqy.png

so.. announcement soon, maybe?

I'm not holding out hope, but that looks kind of authentic. Dammit. Don't toy with me like this!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
So basically AE for Marvel?

Lol. Well not gonna get my hopes up but it would be cool if it was real.

edit- where did you get that post from?

I'd make a topic for this if I could, but...

I'm not holding out hope, but that looks kind of authentic. Dammit. Don't toy with me like this!

While I'd certainly love that (COME ON PLAYABLE MEGAMAN), I'm not trusting that until proven true, it's not like that image has anything that'd be impossible to fake . When is Captivate?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Wait it's called X.

I hope it's real and doesn't have Mega Man X in it.

While I'd certainly love that (COME ON PLAYABLE MEGAMAN), I'm not trusting that until proven true, it's not like that image has anything that'd be impossible to fake . When is Captivate?

Usually around April.

Frantic

If that's real, I'm calling no Megaman X still. Especially since they put X in the title.

Still, FChamp saying Zero was going to be nerfed and that he had an inside source springs to mind. At this point, though, I figure it's a troll.

smurfx

get some go again
ugh i kinda hope that aint true. umvc3 online is already tiny and then you are going to divide it up again with this new game? this would pretty much be the end for online marvel. although it being after evo would make sense.

shaowebb

I want this to be true so bad it hurts. Sad that I didn't even get down on Ultimate too hard first with college. This says July though so its still before October which means I wont get to play it either if its real.

Still I miss hype threads for characters. 4 new marvel and 4 new Capcom? Might as well throw out my lists and keep up with my reputation of making em'.

MARVEL
  • Blade (brothah with a sword. Its like Tekken's Raven meets Dante!)
  • Black Panther (Because he now has his own comic, I like rushdown, and where the black people at in this game already?)
  • Ms Marvel (Only way we'll ever see old school rogue movesets in this game again)
  • Cable (back and big in the comics!)
Alt choices
Psylocke or Iceman

CAPCOM
  • Dr Wily (lunch rush montage of master bots and master bot doronjo style summon based moveset makes me want this)
  • Captain FUCKING Commando
  • Gene (God Hand!)
  • Asura
Alt choice
Protoman or Bass
*trollface*

kirblar

I really hope this is real and not one of the biggest trolls ever.

If true, Gene's almost certainly in. There was also a second character that kept coming up in dev interviews that was a near-miss (and highly likely to show up if the game's roster expanded.)

smurfx

get some go again
well i just hope there ain't no more stupid teleport characters. anyways if ryu from bof is in there then i would buy.

Tirael

I'm loving all the Gene love in this thread.

And yes, it has X in the name, with a good chance that X isn't playable since he's an alt costume already.

If there's a DLC voucher, then it's likely they'll just release all of them as DLC, meaning compatibility with Ultimate. No reason for another version. And the disc release would be for those that skipped out on Ultimate, just with the extra characters.

I REALLY hope this is real. If not, whoever 'shopped it did a pretty fair job.

If this thing is real they better include Jill and Shuma. Get more people using them.

I've been wanting to try out Jill but then I'd feel obligated to get hideous Shuma for completeness.

If Mega Man X is in it, I wonder if he'll have a Frank West alt.

If this thing is real they better include Jill and Shuma. Get more people using them.

I've been wanting to try out Jill but then I'd feel obligated to get hideous Shuma for completeness.
I got Jill when she was $2 during the PSN sale a while back. I don't really regret buying her, but ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

One said if fangasming and saying please be real, another is saying no, no leave the game alone and let the balance progress.

LOL.

But here is who I expect:

MMX
Gene
Random Capcom female
Another Darkstalker

Marvel female
Spidey villain
Female X-Man
Another X-Man

kirblar

If this is accurate, I would take any characters that have H/H mode cards off your speculative list. They would have know which characters were likely coming down the pike.

shaowebb

All I can say is I hope for Iceman, Cable or Captain Commando. Any of those three. Why? Other than I loved them all in MVC2, I could really use a beam for Iron Fist attached to a character I play.

Iceman was played by me since the first game he appeared in, Cable was always a friend because he could lock down a whole team with zoning and AHVB was beautiful, and who didn't purr once they got ahold of Captain Commando on their team?

Any of those 3 and I'd be smiling. Mainly though I want to see some brothers. Blade or Black Panther would be my first choices. Blade would likely do best since sword users get great stuff from Niitsuma in his games. Mega Man is a thing I want in, but I honestly think using Dr Wily to create a new Doronjo style character would be a better tribute to the original series. Why? Because he could use a shitload of Master bot summons for his attacks. Imagine lunchrush done with a stampede of master bots. Best day ever.

Tirael

All I can say is I hope for Iceman, Cable or Captain Commando. Any of those three. Why? Other than I loved them all in MVC2, I could really use a beam for Iron Fist attached to a character I play.

Iceman was played by me since the first game he appeared in, Cable was always a friend because he could lock down a whole team with zoning and AHVB was beautiful, and who didn't purr once they got ahold of Captain Commando on their team?

Any of those 3 and I'd be smiling. Mainly though I want to see some brothers. Blade or Black Panther would be my first choices. Blade would likely do best since sword users get great stuff from Niitsuma in his games. Mega Man is a thing I want in, but I honestly think using Dr Wily to create a new Doronjo style character would be a better tribute to the original series. Why? Because he could use a shitload of Master bot summons for his attacks. Imagine lunchrush done with a stampede of master bots. Best day ever.

Much as I want the Blue Bomber in, I must agree, that'd be pretty epic. They're probably not gonna polygon that many characters, though.

And I agree with everything else. Heck, if they really wanted, they could use Wolverine and the X-men Iceman, who looks plenty different than Silver Surfer. And who doesn't love Yuri Lowenthal?

cednym

Banned
Where did you get that quote/picture from, cednym? A google search just returns a GameFAQS thread that redirects here.

A private wrestling forum (lol) that I frequent. It's a weird thing to make up, and it looks convincing, but... I don't know. I'm skeptical. I really don't see why Capcom would want to be hanging onto MvC3 still. Surely there's no money in that for them.

Have you seen the sales for Asura's wrath? Game bombed at retail. They've got like a billion better choices(especially choices that deserve the sacred slot).

One said if fangasming and saying please be real, another is saying no, no leave the game alone and let the balance progress.

LOL.
Fuck Balance. Get more characters.

Also, moar Darkstalkers

cednym

Banned
If this is accurate, I would take any characters that have H/H mode cards off your speculative list. They would have know which characters were likely coming down the pike.

This was the first thing that popped into my mind. Hmm...

Alex
B.B. Hood
Charlie
Donovan
Hinata
M. Bison
Masamune Date
MegaMan Volnutt
Monster Hunter
Regina
Rouge
Tessa

Adam Warlock
Emma Frost
Gambit
Lizard
Lockjaw
Moon Knight
Namor
Psylocke
Sandman
Spider-Woman
Squirrel Girl
Vision
War Machine

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Forgot about Zero's X alt. Having X in as his own character would be stupid now, unless they make Zero not have an alt or something. But that would be pretty stupid too.

I still doubt it's real but the speculation part of my brain says it's already confirmed.

kirblar

Have you seen the sales for Asura's wrath? Game bombed at retail. They've got like a billion better choices(especially choices that deserve the sacred slot).

Fuck Balance. Get more characters.

Also, moar Darkstalkers
The game's already really well balanced, it's more just a matter of doing some trimming at the top and rescuing a few characters (Shuma, Tron come to mind) who really need help right now.

No. The people on the cards are the ones who were closest. Since MMX was on one as were others which made final lists. The ones who have cards have the highest chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom