• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate PS4 FAQ is live on PS Blog

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That's not what it says though. It says you won't be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage. Obviously you can connect an external hard drive and the PS4 can read it, because what do you think a USB stick is? How would you do USB firmware updates if it couldn't read data off of an external hard drive?

So, it's quite possible that you can connect an external hard drive to watch movies from. You just can't use it for game data

Which by the way is utter bullshit as well. Nintendo let us do that and Nintendo is as behind on modern features as can be.

you can't stream your own content to the device wirelessly using media server (i.e. your computer and software like ps3 media server) and output it to your TV. it wouldn't be THAT bad if they at least supported external hard drives...but they said that is not supposed either.

Thanks, I've never used that feature.

Feeling like commenting on some of the FAQ stuff...

What type of hard drive does PS4 use?

PS4 is equipped with a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive. Users can choose to install a new hard drive so long as it complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB
When they took it apart it was said that up to 12.5 mm would fit...

Will users be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4?

No, this feature is not supported on PS4.
While it would be cool to have it done like on the 360/XB1, I hope they don't mean here that they remove also the functionality that the PS3 supports (copy/play videos from external HDD etc.).

Will PS4 support any 3D content, including stereoscopic 3D games?

Technically, PS4 supports 3D gameplay at launch in North America, though no launch titles are currently 3D compatible.
This is btw weird. I would have thought that even more games support 3D than on PS3, they kinda dropped the whole 3D gaming topic for some reason.

When playing disc-based games on PS4, do I need to install data to the hard drive?

Yes, all PS4 Blu-ray Disc games must be cached to the hard drive to ensure a smooth gaming experience. However, certain titles may not require you to wait for the game data to be fully cached before starting gameplay. In order to start playing disc-based games, users will need to insert the game disc into PS4 just like on the PS3 system.
"Certain titles"...? Oh boy.
Otherwise this is what I expected and if we effectively don't "see" the installs I don't have a problem with it as it doesn't matter then if you keep the install data or not to free up space.
I also hope that this means that the disc drive will not make a sound once it's installed.

If I rent a game disc, and then decide I want to buy it digitally, can I use the mandatory install to avoid downloading it and just activate my license?

No, in this example you would have to delete the disc install data and fully install the digital version of the game.
Stupid as XB1 allows it. Can't be so hard.
Also... install the digital version? I hope this doesn't suggest that they will keep the stupid system of the PS3

Will I be able to install system software update 1.50 via a USB drive?

Yes, you will be able to download the firmware to your PC and transfer it to PS4 using a USB memory stick. However, to use the USB method the first time you take PS4 out of the box and before installing system software update 1.50, you’ll need to enable safe mode. When PS4 is powered off, press and hold the Power Button for seven seconds to enter safe mode. Note: Users should only update using official files downloaded from PlayStation.com.
Even though it's only supported with the safe mode (= PS3 recovery mode?) before 1.50, it's good that we can do this. I just hope they will offer the firmware download way in advance to avoid server problems.

Can my child’s PS3 sub-account be changed to a master account on PS4 once they are past the age of 18?

Unfortunately, no. In this case, we would advise creating a new master account. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Does PS4 offer parental control options to restrict content to younger users?

Yes. The PS4 system’s parental controls can set the control level for playing a game or application that has parental control restrictions, as well as use of the internet browser.

Also, for each sub account user, there are the controls over the ability to use chat and messaging features, the ability to post and view user-generated media, and the ability to control a monthly spending limit for PlayStation Store purchases. Finally, sub account users cannot link their account with Social Network Services or use their real name or profile picture.
= Don't make sub accounts, ever.

Will PS4 support custom Dynamic Themes, as currently available on the PS3 system?

No, PS4 will not support Dynamic Themes as they currently exist on the PS3 system.
This was to be expected, but considering there won't be custom wallpapers either, it sucks to not have many options for customizing.

Will I be able to filter system and friend notifications in order to avoid being disturbed while playing a game or watching a movie?

Compared to PS3, you’ll have much more control over displayed notifications, including messages, friend requests, Trophies, download status and more.
Finally something the PS4 will have MORE options for than the PS3... But yeah that's pretty good.

Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?

The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers.
Ok WTF, what kind of all around media device is that supposed to be then?
I was looking forward to this on PS4 with enhanced multitasking. Ideally they should implement something like Snap on XB1 so that I can watch a series and e.g. grind through a game (or at least via Remote Play).

Can I play my PS3 games on my PS4 system?

No, PS4 does not feature backward compatibility for PS3, PS2, or PSone games.
Still facepalming that we won't even get the PS1 emu.

Do PS4 games have regional locks?

In general, neither digital nor disc-based games will be region locked, but PlayStation recommends that all users purchase games at the region of their residence to guarantee the best overall experience and customer service. In certain instances, a software publisher may choose to region lock a game title for specific reasons, but Sony Computer Entertainment expects these instances to be uncommon.

So it's like on PS3, hopefully it will also be just as rare.

Will PS4 be able to automatically download game patches?

Yes, all PS4 users will be able to automatically download and install game patches to their PS4. In addition, PlayStation Plus members will enjoy the ability to have those automatic downloads happen while the system is in standby mode.
kinda weird that they make the standby patch downloading exclusive to PS+. Not that much of a loss with the newer background downloading

Is it possible to charge a DUALSHOCK 4 controller via my PS4 when I’m not playing?

Yes, you can charge DUALSHOCK 4 controllers when PS4 is in stand-by mode. However, in Europe, PS4 users will need to navigate to Settings, then Power Save Settings, and enable the Supply Power from USB Ports option.
that has to be due to some consumer rights law right? But nice that you can charge them while it's "off".

Is it possible to output all game audio through DUALSHOCK 4 controller’s 3.5mm headset jack?

Yes, you can select the Output to Headsets option to either ‘Chat Audio’ or “All Audio.”
Mh, I wonder about the audio quality, how much can BT handle?

For cross-game Party Chat, how many players will PS4 support?

As with the PS Vita system, PS4 will support up to eight users for cross-game Party Chat. The Party Chat feature works across both PS4 and PS Vita platforms.
Cool that it works across both platforms.

What impact will the DUALSHOCK 4 controller’s integrated speaker have on gameplay?

DUALSHOCK 4′s integrated speaker lets inventive game developers immerse players more fully in the game world. In the example of Killzone: Shadow Fall, audio diaries collected in the campaign mode will be broadcast though DUALSHOCK 4 integrated speaker. We anticipate that developers will devise other interesting ways to use this feature.
I use a surround headset via optical output... I guess it will be a bit difficult to hear those audio diaries :p

Does PS4 support voice commands?

Yes. You can purchase a PlayStation Camera (sold separately; $59.99 MSRP) or use the Mono headset that comes with PS4. After enabling the voice control mode, you will be able to control key PS4 functions using commands such as starting up a game or taking a screenshot. At launch in North America, six languages will be supported (English (US and UK), Spanish (European), Italian, French (European), German, Japanese), with more to come following future system software updates.
Yeah this is good for screenshots. Neat that they include different languages already at launch, in case my accent prevents English commands :p
Starting a game will only be useful if you can actually name the game or if you can at least start the disc from any point in the OS.
Btw with being able to cut out the player, I wonder if this can actually do stuff like Kinect if they can apply at least a basic skeleton.

How many local accounts does PS4 support?

PS4 supports up to 16 local accounts, in addition to temporary guest accounts.
And apparently you can still access the different region stores like on PS3, so that's good for people with several accounts like me :p

What network services will be free on PS4, without a PlayStation Plus membership?

Some of the features users can enjoy for free include:

Accessing entertainment, film, and TV services (Users must subscribe separately to individual services)
Share options, including sending gameplay video and screenshots to Facebook, screenshots to Twitter, or livestreaming gameplay via Ustream or Twitch
Sharing video to Facebook,
Playing PS4 games remotely using the PS Vita system (Remote Play)
Comparing Trophy data with other users
Sending and receiving text messages from other users
PlayStation Store access (users must pay to purchase premium content)
Live item, activity feeds on Dynamic Menu
Party (cross game voice chat)
Web browser
PlayStation App services (on iOS/Android devices)
Basically everything that's behind the paywall on XB1 ;P
Kinda surprised they didn't restrict the sharing features more for non-PS+ users.

Will I be able to play MP3s on PS4?

No.
WTF, seriously. Finally we get a background music player that works in all games and they make it exclusive to a Music Unlimited sub. No, just no. I guess the PS4 won't support any of the other audio formats that work on PS3 either. Don't reduce media functionality, people like me expected to have the PS3 media features at the MINIMUM.

Can users copy the recorded gameplay video from PS4 to other devices, such as PC?

PS4 users will not be able to directly copy recorded gameplay video files from PS4 to other devices, though they will be able to use the DUALSHOCK 4 controller’s Share button to upload videos to Facebook for distribution. This function will be supported by a future system update.
Is that the case for screenshots as well? They better fix this fast... Do FB/Twitter even support full quality PNGs (if that's hopefully what will be saved, like on PS3).

Can I share my game videos on YouTube?

No. At launch, PS4 users will be able to use the Share button on the DUALSHOCK 4 controller to upload gameplay videos to their Facebook account, or to stream live gameplay to Ustream or Twitch.
ugghhhhh.....

No comment on what the LED of the PS4 can do????

I would like to know if you can watch BD movies and still have access to the OS. This always bugged me on PS3. Ideally, you should be able to switch between the game and a movie instantly...

Still pissed about no Resume/Suspend feature at launch!
My demand list from the FW1.50 thread doesn't look good so far.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87451018&postcount=815
- suspend mode
- uploading to youtube
- playing my own mp3s with the background music player
- save videos and screenshots directly to the HDD
- file transfer from&to external HDDs

-> only save videos on HDD is in, but kinda useless before you can transfer files :p
Btw they still didn't state if you can manually record videos longer than 15 minutes or what?

NotSaladin

Neo Member
That's not what it says though. It says you won't be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage. Obviously you can connect an external hard drive and the PS4 can read it, because what do you think a USB stick is? How would you do USB firmware updates if it couldn't read data off of an external hard drive?

So, it's quite possible that you can connect an external hard drive to watch movies from. You just can't use it for game data

This is EXACTLY how I read it as well. Thank god I'm not the only one. For me, that is BY FAR the most important to remain included. Sure it is not as convient for those who have a DLNA set up but at least it will do for the mean time!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Then for Sony's sake - why did they not just say "This feature will not be available at launch", instead of acting like it won't ever be there?

I do not understand any of these game companies sometimes
... what goes on behind the scenes to make these decisions?

Me either, but I believe the source so who knows why they said what they did.

Artex

Banned
Who puts MP3's on their console? What is this, 2006? DLNA support is what matters and I'd say its a pretty safe bet that it's just not available on launch day for whatever reason. That being said I don't use my consoles for that anymore either. Its either the apps directly on my TV, ROKU, or Chromecast.

oSoLucky

Then for Sony's sake - why did they not just say "This feature will not be available at launch", instead of acting like it won't ever be there?

I do not understand any of these game companies sometimes... what goes on behind the scenes to make these decisions?

Good point. No one is complaining about Gaikai streaming, and that was a pretty big selling point to a lot of people. All about wording and expectations.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm feeling a little less mad after seeing Kagari's post about DLNA.

I really want to be able to move my PS3 up to the bedroom and let the PS4 in my gameroom take over it's streaming capabilities. That would also allow me to give my dad my dedicated bluray player from my bedroom.

Thanks for giving us some hope.

Mmm yeah. I wouldn't worry too much. Some of these overreactions are going to look hilarious in the near future.

Hardly. Sony could just make it clear that these functions will not be available at launch, as they do in that very same FAQ when they cite that previously announced features will eventually be patched onto the system. They chose not to say this. It's difficult to dismiss this as a communication error once you consider how very specific and detailed they are in some of their responses to that FAQ.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Who puts MP3's on their console? What is this, 2006? DLNA support is what matters and I'd say its a pretty safe bet that it's just not available on launch day for whatever reason. That being said I don't use my consoles for that anymore either. Its either the apps directly on my TV, ROKU, or Chromecast.

I got BTS and TLOU soundtracks with special editions. They came in MP3. Idk, Sony does!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Me. I like to use background music for just about any title that supports it. Reading that the whole PS4 was going to be eschewing that outside of music unlimited double subscription BS was a big DAFAQ?!

This is EXACTLY how I read it as well. Thank god I'm not the only one. For me, that is BY FAR the most important to remain included. Sure it is not as convient for those who have a DLNA set up but at least it will do for the mean time!

Indeed, it doesn't even say that you won't be able to manually copy game saves or data to external hard drives. It only means that for the purposes of installing disc based games, or the "cache" feature that it describes, or downloading anything from PSN store, there is no way to have the system automatically use an external drive.

Of course, we don't know for sure either way, I'm just saying it's too early to start firing shots, because as written, the statement does not preclude most of the things people seem to be upset about.

Phades

Obviously you can connect an external hard drive and the PS4 can read it, because what do you think a USB stick is? How would you do USB firmware updates if it couldn't read data off of an external hard drive?
In safe mode only? That is the only snippet i read about the USB update and reading of data in that manner.
(don't pounce on me, since I agree it would make zero sense for the ability to read data to be blocked entirely)

To me, it just seems weird to try and artificially handicap a basic functionality thing like this. I wasn't planning on buying either console at launch and waiting it out for a while (title releases, bugs, other unforseen things....), but these (arguably minor) issues are the sort of "unforseen things" I was worried about when looking back upon how Sony made changes to the PS3 over time and how support changed for the 360 changed over time and the almost audible thudd noise made when the WiiU and PSvita dropped.

Seriously, why did they take out DLNA ? It's 20fucking13.

Actually the more weird aspect of Sony not including DNLA, to me, is highlighted below.

"The Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is a non-profit collaborative trade organization established by Sony in June 2003, that is responsible for defining interoperability guidelines to enable sharing of digital media between multimedia devices.[3] These guidelines are built upon existing public standards, but the guidelines themselves are private (available for a fee). These guidelines specify a set of restricted ways of using the standards to achieve interoperability and include almost all free audio formats and the most common (free or otherwise) video formats, meaning that DLNA servers generally have to support transcoding in order to produce a useful service.[4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance

Jonboy

It's probably because the Headset Profile (HSP) is disabled. I'm gonna also assume the reason the PS3's BD remote controls doesn't work is because the Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) is disabled. Both of these can be activated with a firmware update. Keep pressing Shu on this.
Interesting. Sounds simple, but must be more in-depth than it sounds. Supporting a bluetooth headset just seems like it should be a basic, out-of-the-box standard. Sure hope it comes in an update (soon).

Zoe

To me, it just seems weird to try and artificially handicap a basic functionality thing like this. I wasn't planning on buying either console at launch and waiting it out for a while (title releases, bugs, other unforseen things....), but these (arguably minor) issues are the sort of "unforseen things" I was worried about when looking back upon how Sony made changes to the PS3 over time and how support changed for the 360 changed over time and the almost audible thudd noise made when the WiiU and PSvita dropped.

But Sony has never offered that functionality before, so I don't see how they're handicapping anything.

MrGlass

I'm really annoyed that it doesn't have the functionality to be used as a client for a media server. This was one of my biggest uses of the PS3 and it's basically taken out the reason why i should put this in my living room.

Interesting. Sounds simple, but must be more in-depth than it sounds. Supporting a bluetooth headset just seems like it should be a basic, out-of-the-box standard. Sure hope it comes in an update (soon).

However, BT keyboards are supported, but not headsets. So keyboard and controllers are okay for BT, but not old headsets? What?

I would understand if the BT was turned off for now or something, but the controllers need to use them and keyboards can use it as well.

BigDug13

Mmm yeah. I wouldn't worry too much. Some of these overreactions are going to look hilarious in the near future.

Then someone needs to teach Sony how to write a FAQ. Answering questions with emphatic "no" answers leaves nothing on the table for interpretation of future features.

If the FAQ is only meant for day of launch, it needs to be clear that everything on the FAQ page is only day 1 information.

If this is a standard FAQ for the entire console, trying to tell potential buyers what to expect from their PS4 purchase, features that are definitely coming later should have been annotated on those answers in some way.

MP3 playback?

Not at launch, but a patch will be released in 2014 to allow personal music file playback.

DLNA?

Not at launch, but a patch will be released in 2014 to add DLNA functionality.

But answering with just "No"?

Phades

But Sony has never offered that functionality before, so I don't see how they're handicapping anything.

In terms of overal ease of use and functionality, it would be handicapped. In terms of what was provided previously, it is a non-issue. Would you expect your "smart" TV/DVD whatever to not have basic network interface or external data connections? Or if it did, to not launch with the ability to read data from it?

It isn't much different of an expectation to have a computer like device to contain those features, unless of course your prefered brand has a fruit on it.

Krakn3Dfx

I do not understand any of these game companies sometimes... what goes on behind the scenes to make these decisions?

For all the advancements Sony has made since realizing there are people outside of Japan who play games, they still seem to have problems grasping some of the more basic ideas of PR.

Then again, look how people flaked out about the Suspend mode being delayed. Maybe just saying it's not there and dropping it in later with no real lead up is the better way to go.

Naminator

Banned
What type of hard drive does PS4 use?
PS4 is equipped with a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive. Users can choose to install a new hard drive so long as it complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.

What the fuck is this? So I can replace the 500Gb HDD in the PS4, but it can't be larger than 160Gb?

I guess Sony is planning to overcharge for HDDs on the PS4 like they do on the VIta's Flash Cards.

Holy shit Sony! Why couldn't you keep up with the goods? What a let down in the up and coming weeks of the launch! Dropped the ball big time. Still staying with my PS4 pre-order, but what a let down that is. So much potential, yet...

What the fuck is this? So I can replace the 500Gb HDD in the PS4, but it can't be larger than 160Gb?

I guess Sony is planning to overcharge for HDDs on the PS4 like they do on the VIta's Flash Cards.
I think you read that wrong. The HDD has to be larger than 160GB, not less.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

They don't want to promise it. If you notice, the features they did promise are ones they've already promised.

I believe full stop this console launch will be a massive clusterfuck so just get ready for it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

OMG come on

It must be larger than 160gb

Larger.

Larrrger

Probably because that it is still on a white board and not really being coded. It may come, but may be months to a year.

Spotify would be nice, but I can live without mp3s. Got that covered.

No DLNA streaming is an early deal breaker. My thinking was "the game linup is weak, but at least I have another good media player!"

...apparently not. Will wait for them to fix either.

Zoe

In terms of overal ease of use and functionality, it would be handicapped. In terms of what was provided previously, it is a non-issue. Would you expect your "smart" TV/DVD whatever to not have basic network interface or external data connections? Or if it did, to not launch with the ability to read data from it?

It isn't much different of an expectation to have a computer like device to contain those features, unless of course your prefered brand has a fruit on it.

The PS4 does have external data connections. It can read data from it.

A function should only be considered handicapped if it can't carry out a basic task. When did playing games off of an external hard drive suddenly become a basic task?

Top Bottom