• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate PS4 FAQ is live on PS Blog

Ovek

7Member7
The "safe mode" quote was referring specifically when installing the first software update. I remember reading in other locations that you can use a USB stick. I'll have to find it...

Its not mentioned in the FAQ tho. Hopefully you can for things like save game backups etc.

Loudninja

Sooooooo.....i cannot stream my own music? What kind of fucjing box is this? Seriously doubting picking one uo at launch but theres nothing for ps3 coming i want.. but what the FUCK no saving gameclips and export them to pc and no sleep/suspend and no mp3 streaming???? WTF Sony?
Damn you more calm than I expected.

andycapps

This seems thread worthy to me:

ydJ5Y8u.png

"Across different games" suggests to me that their plan is to make suspending of games be something more than just for the game you're currently playing. Like you could suspend Knack. Start playing Killzone. Suspend Killzone and then resume playing Knack and have it be exactly where you left off. Anyone else reading it this way?

Seemed like it to me as well. The ability to play all game audio through 3.5mm jack on controller is also a big deal to me. Those are nice features. The good news is mostly being missed in favor of the PS3 features that aren't making their way to PS4 (at least yet).

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it's not in the FAQ.

It looks like having multiple PS4 in the same house will no longer be annoying in terms of being able to switch to a different room and pick up where you left off on a game.

z3vbCOV.png

Ovek

7Member7

ydJ5Y8u.png

"Across different games" suggests to me that their plan is to make suspending of games be something more than just for the game you're currently playing. Like you could suspend Knack. Start playing Killzone. Suspend Killzone and then resume playing Knack and have it be exactly where you left off. Anyone else reading it this way?

Yes, but then that's how I have always imagined it working especially hopping in and out of multi player games.

Cudder

ydJ5Y8u.png

It does read that way. I love that Vita has that feature for one game, but there's been a lot of instances where I wish I could switch between two games without losing my place. I wonder how many games the PS4 can keep in memory.

MMaRsu

Banned
Damn you more calm than I expected.

Ehm its pretty fucking sad tho innit?? Cant even play mp3's even 5 euro mp3 players or cheap ass phones can do it. The fuck is this bullshit?? So far for using the ps4 as a media box, since you cant do shit but play games with it.

screw your music unlimited bullshit Sony gahhhh

im actually pretty pissed off about this bullshit.

ckohler

Yes, but then that's how I have always imagined it working especially hopping in and out of multi player games.

These games are massive and could easily require upwards or 7-8GB of RAM when in use. That means for every game you suspend, you would have to write that 7-8GB of data to the HDD. I'm not really sure it makes sense, technically. I've always assumed you could only suspend one game at a time but this quote specifically says "across games".

Marc

PS3 game have a £59.99 RRP, it's right next to the price you pay

It's £49.99 for me, and even GTAV was generally £40... I nearly always get my games for around £30 and the dollar prices are clearly showing a huge disparity.

UK expected to make up Sonys losses? Nice tax.

It does read that way. I love that Vita has that feature for one game, but there's been a lot of instances where I wish I could switch between two games without losing my place. I wonder how many games the PS4 can keep in memory.

I'd imagine it doesn't keep the game in memory, it dumps the contents of memory to the hard drive and reloads it when you want to resume, much like Windows' hibernate function.

Krakn3Dfx

Heard some
good
news regarding DLNA on the system, but it's not official yet. Let's just say, it's not a thing that's set in stone.

No DNLA support is a huge blow to me. I could have sworn they mentioned .mkv support in the past. No I gotta keep using my aging boxee box.

Also, no mention of twitch streaming yet. Hm.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it's more people mad about stuff that was there in the PS3 more than anything. And even in the case of the MP3 thing where Music Unlimited is the alternative, MU isn't available in all countries.

Sure, but people are mad that PS4 - at launch - doesn't have all the features that the PS3 incrementally added over 6-7 years. Is it unreasonable to thnk that Sony might just need a bit of time to add some things?

Raonak

Banned
Why is it so hard to allow changeable usernames?

Probably due to the way PSN inforamation is stored on their database, I'm guessing they're using the names as keys, so a name change and it would treat it as a seperate account. That said, some kind of alias system wouldnt be hard to implment.

ydJ5Y8u.png

if so, there must be a limit as to how many games you can suspend concurrently though. i still think it's just one game like vita

ckohler

I'd imagine it doesn't keep the game in memory, it dumps the contents of memory to the hard drive and reloads it when you want to resume, much like Windows' hibernate function.

Wouldn't that mean every game you suspend would eat up GIGs of space? Wouldn't that be slow? As much as I want to believe you can suspend multiple games, this doesn't seem technically reasonable.

andycapps

These games are massive and could easily require upwards or 7-8GB of RAM when in use. That means for every game you suspend, you would have to write that 7-8GB of data to the HDD. I'm not really sure it makes sense, technically. I've always assumed you could only suspend one game at a time but this quote specifically says "across games".

I would too. Suspending multiple games in memory seems like a technical nightmare. Maybe you could do it to where the game knows exactly where you were, kind of a save state, but then it has to cache up all the game data when you resume.

Loudninja

Ehm its pretty fucking sad tho innit?? Cant even play mp3's even 5 euro mp3 players or cheap ass phones can do it. The fuck is this bullshit?? So far for using the ps4 as a media box, since you cant do shit but play games with it.

screw your music unlimited bullshit Sony gahhhh

im actually pretty pissed off about this bullshit.
Yeah it sucks,it could get added down the line like it did with the PS3.

Ovek

7Member7

Nah it will compress the hell out of that. I always imagined say playing Knack and getting a message of a friend inviting me to Killzone multi-player and at the press of a button Knack suspends and Killzone boots right in to the game I've been invited to.

Gaz_RB

Can I share my game videos on YouTube?

No. At launch, PS4 users will be able to use the Share button on the DUALSHOCK 4 controller to upload gameplay videos to their Facebook account, or to stream live gameplay to Ustream or Twitch. PS4 owners can follow PlayStation.Blog and PlayStation.com for further news on other services to come after launch.

Damn was hoping for youtube...

Dragon

Banned
Probably due to the way PSN inforamation is stored on their database, I'm guessing they're using the names as keys, so a name change and it would treat it as a seperate account. That said, some kind of alias system wouldnt be hard to implment.

Anyone that uses names instead of numbers as unique keys for database items has to be an amateur.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The lack of DLNA surprises me... Oh well. I've moved onto having a PC connected directly to the TV anyway.

besada

Banned
I am replacing my 360 with a PS4 on my TV in the Den. I use the 360 to stream movies from my PC. Can I not do that with the PS4?

Not at launch, at least. No music (without paying Sony), no movies (without paying Sony), and no extra hard drive ever.

I presume they'll patch this functionality in later, because they aren't idiots.

Mondy

Banned

ydJ5Y8u.png

Jesus christ, playing two games concurrently? That's a whole 'nother level of multitasking. I guess it'll help the backlogs.

ydJ5Y8u.png

Yep, that's exactly what it is (but it probably work with digital games only).

MMaRsu

Banned
Video to Facebook only... no exporting to edit on PC... no CD playing... no MP3 goodness...

Well then... Fuck that noise, man. Fuck it.

Im like this right now. Today i changed my launch console to a 499 kz+ds4+camera but right now i really may just cancel that preorder. It doesnt even have some of the most basic functions. Sony acting like idiots right now.

oSoLucky

I'm hoping that MP3/background music is added later when they see how few Music Unlimited subs they get from the feature..........or, they could gain a ton, who knows. I can deal with not supporting USB hard drives(thankfully I have a Roku), but I can't see why this and some other features aren't in with the launch patch. I hope that it's because of features being lower on the totem pole for QA time instead of some other reason, but I guess we'll see in time.

I guess this leads credence to Edge's article stating that the XB1 is the superior multimedia console. Damn, this may have just caused me to keep my XB1 preorder. Too many days stuck on the ship between duty and overseas to go without media features like this.

Firmware is never set in stone. Hardware is.. DLNA support could be added as soon as Sony works in the code into an update, same with MP3/MP4/AAC support. I would assume that like any project, they have a list of features on a board and then they go through and prioritize everything and hold back features deemed nonessential for a subsequent release. That's how we handle projects at my workplace anyway. Everyone wants everything now, but things don't work that way.

I think what most people want to hear is that DLNA or MP3 support is coming. I know I'd be happy with the former, and especially with a general timeframe.

Exactly. If it's all coming soon, then that would save me a bit. These FAQs have a habit of being blunt without much extra information so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this is taken out of context.

Mmm yeah. I wouldn't worry too much. Some of these overreactions are going to look hilarious in the near future.

Oh.
Xbox One
preorder cancelled.

andycapps

Send you a PM with what I found out. I can screenshot if needed, don't know how this is normally handled since I never know anything :).

Don't be a tease.

Firmware is never set in stone. Hardware is.. DLNA support could be added as soon as Sony works in the code into an update, same with MP3/MP4/AAC support. I would assume that like any project, they have a list of features on a board and then they go through and prioritize everything and hold back features deemed nonessential for a subsequent release. That's how we handle projects at my workplace anyway. Everyone wants everything now, but things don't work that way.

I think what most people want to hear is that DLNA or MP3 support is coming. I know I'd be happy with the former, and especially with a general timeframe.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mmm yeah. I wouldn't worry too much. Some of these overreactions are going to look hilarious in the near future.

Grisby

I didn't play that much music on the PS3 but I did like the dynamic themes, :/

Definitely some ass backward stuff going on.

jonabbey

Heard some
good
news regarding DLNA on the system, but it's not official yet. Let's just say, it's not a thing that's set in stone.

Good news, my not getting a PS4 is not set in stone either.

If Sony had DLNA support on PS4, I'd be buying it ASAP and turning my PS3 off and putting it in a closet someplace. Without DLNA on PS4, I'm going to hold off until sometime next year on getting a PS4 to replace my PS3 for my media computer.

As I mentioned in another thread, I've got about a terabyte of DVD rips (I own and possess all of the physical discs tyvm) and 60 gigs of legal MP3s, and being able to access that media on the PS3 is a crucial function of the device for me. I'd love to be able to use a new swanky PS4 interface to access all of that stuff, but if I have to keep the PS3 around, I'll just stick with it for now.

I'm not going to be the guy to tell my 4 year old daughter that her favorite movies have gone away.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I see Krauthammer spilled the beans to you. However, it is odd that they took such a firm stance in the FAQ.

Honestly, if there is anything about this coming very soon and the didn't word it like that then this is a PR oddity.

Top Bottom