• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimates likely to return in Killer Instinct. What are your favorite KI finishers?

ScOULaris

A new character for Killer Instinct (2013) was revealed and detailed the other day on a stream by the developers, and at the end of said stream they played this brief clip depicting a match between Jago and the new character, Kilgore. The match ended with something that fans have been requesting ever since the game launched back in 2013:

Clip of Jago's Ultimate

Operating under the assumption that this tease was meant to suggest that the entire cast will be receiving Ultimate finishers at some point this year, I am super excited for this addition. I always loved the various No Mercies, Ultimates, and Humiliations from the original games, and their impending inclusion in KI3 really makes this labor-of-love reboot of the series feel complete. Double Helix, Iron Galaxy, and Microsoft had already absolutely nailed everything about KI3, remaining true to the spirit of the originals while also improving upon the template enormously. Anybody who has played KI3 will agree that not only is it the best Killer Instinct game by a large margin, but it has also grown into one of the very best fighting games on offer in the current gen.

So how about we go around and share our favorite finishing moves from past Killer Instinct games to commemorate the occasion. While KI never had any supremely gory or disturbing fatalities, its colorful cast has never been short on flashy (or just plain silly) ways of dispatching one another.

For the uninitiated, here is how finishing moves played out in previous games.

Killer Instinct 1
  • No Mercies - The series' equivalent to fatalities. Opponents would enter a stunned state once their second lifebar had depleted, and the player could input a finishing move command to kill their opponent with style.
  • Ultimates - Finishing moves that you could combo into. These would typically be one of the character's two No Mercy moves, only occuring as the end of a combo without the opponent entering a stunned state first.
  • Humiliations - If you met certain conditions (finishing the match with your first lifebar intact), you could input a command that would force your opponent to dance to disco music in a goofy manner.
  • Ultra Combos - The over-the-top, lengthy combo strings that could be triggered by a simple command mid-combo once the opponent's health had dropped low enough at the end of a match. Most people probably think of Ultra combos first when the Killer Instinct series comes to mind, and that's probably why the developers prioritized bringing back Ultras over all other finishers to KI3.
  • Stage Finishers - Much like in the Mortal Kombat series, certain stages in KI have death traps that can be triggered by hitting the opponent with a strong attack near the end of the stage to finish them off. A popular combination of finishing moves in KI's arcade heyday was to do an Ultra combo that finished near the edge on an applicable stage, thus sending the opponent plummeting to their death at the end of the Ultra.

Killer Instinct 2
  • Humiliations and No Mercies were done away with, and each character was left with two Ultimates and an Ultra combo.
  • Stage Finishers made a return as well.

Killer Instinct (2013)
  • Season 1 launched with Ultra combos for all characters but no other finishers.
  • Season 2 introduced stage finishers for certain stages.
  • Up tp this point, only Shadow Jago has an Ultimate finisher. The implication is that the entire cast will be receiving Ultimates by popular demand sometime this year.

Without further ado, my favorite finisher from any KI game is the one that caught my eye in a local arcade and made me a lifelong fan of the series all those years ago...

Fulgore's Head Turret Finisher

14837216843139138.gif

Honorable Mention

Orchid's Flasher Finisher (Killer Instinct 1)

2592691563_bddfbcf49c_o.gif

I always liked how this No Mercy represented KI's humor with a dash of 90's shock value.

dankir

Honorable Mention:

Orchid's Flasher Finisher (Killer Instinct 1)

2592691563_bddfbcf49c_o.gif

I always liked how this No Mercy represented KI's humor with a dash of 90's shock value.

I would say her turning you into a frog and then jumping on you was better. So random.

The new ultimates will be much darker / gorier.

Orchid's firecat will play some part for sure in her Ultimate.
Fulgores hype beam will vaporize you or something
TJ will punch break your neck and punch you into the screen or something
Sabrewulf will impale you
Thunder will vaporize you with lightening
etc, etc.

I hope we get the remaining stages that are missing as well somewhere down the line.

Salty Hippo

Couldn't care less about this. Jago's Spirit Bomb looks cheesy as fuck. Kilgore is a boring addition to the roster. Stop with these clone characters.

I mean it's cool that they are still updating the game and one of my favorite things of this gen has been following the continuous development and evolution of KI, but I wish they would let it rest for a while and release a sequel with a higher budget and better graphics/animation like 2 years from now.

ScOULaris

Couldn't care less about this. Jago's Spirit Bomb looks cheesy as fuck. Kilgore is a boring addition to the roster. Stop with these clone characters.

I mean it's cool that they are still updating the game and one of my favorite things of this gen has been following the continuous development and evolution of KI, but I wish they would let it rest for a while and release a sequel with a higher budget and better graphics/animation like 2 years from now.

I hear ya, but keep in mind that the support they've been able to give the game year after year is still incredible given the game's somewhat niche popularity within the genre. If it was putting up Mortal Kombat, Tekken, or Street Fighter sales numbers then I think it'd be more reasonable to expect a full-fledged sequel.

I'm not crazy about clone characters either, but there have really only been two of them. And I think Ultimates are a legitimately great addition.

Honestly I wish ultimates weren't restricted to finishers. I wish they were regular super attacks. With ultra combos and stage fatalities there's already so much restricted to the end of a match.

Top Bottom