• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 PS4 patch is live

RobRSG

I'm sorry. Are you a top SF player?

I'm not, but I have all versions and I know what I'm talking about. Are you even a passionate player and fan as I am? If you were and you bought the game and played 1.01 and 1.02, you certainly would notice the difference.

I don't care if you only consider professionals opinion. As a player I can write whatever I want regarding a game. I have no reason to lie here.

Hustler

Anyone else play the Seth boss level with headphones? Explosions in the background sound like a blown subwoofer blaring DMX, it's horrific! I had to rip the headphones out of my ears ASAP to avoid going deaf.

HardRojo

Anyone else play the Seth boss level with headphones? Explosions in the background sound like a blown subwoofer blaring DMX, it's horrific! I had to rip the headphones out of my ears ASAP to avoid going deaf.
Apparently the new patch brought sound mixing problems.

thelastword

Banned
Apart from the devs needing to implement 4-8x MSAA and add even better AF, at least 16xAF on all stages. I've still noticed some issues with the game still.

Guile's Sonic boom for e.g. is still not properly fixed.

sCIHJRg.jpg

JeVYw6c.jpg

xlsFytA.jpg

xF8tVOm.jpg

ZMsAO4J.jpg

Yudoken

I have 444 hrs in the borked steam version alone (only fixed recently) and I can tell you I've come across quite a few D,C,B players. I've even come across players which had an F rank or where their rank don't show/or red rank. As to whether I played them or if I can avoid them is besides the point, but for the record I have played lower ranks than A several times.

My post was not to beat on the PC version, just to show that as a version it's not standardized for several reasons, whether the points I mentioned happens often is besides the point, the problem is it can happen. You can never know when issues with drivers or a computer crashing or any other problem will arise with a computer, but if a platform exists that limits as many potential problems the computer may have, it's better to go with that for simplicity and ease of use.

Supposing one person sets up a computer a certain way and one does it differently, even it is a mistake, consoles avoid that problem entirely. Vysnc on or off, problems with drivers, sticks, pads, compatibility will be a huge issue and none of that is standardized. Setting a fighting tournament with PC is too much of a headache and there will be much longer downtime with it every single time.

Lol, come on man, nobody even watches those valle tournaments. Btw, GFWL had some issue with the overlay causing slowdown in the game, but the netcode was pretty good most times, it had it's issues like every other version though, since they're all P2P anyway. Steamworks version however; was just a mess and unplayable. After they fixed it (well for the most part), I got my character to A rank and went back to 360.

FYI, I did go back to PC recently, about two weeks ago just to get some rounds in, I had so many laggy matches in that session (reminded me of how it played before the fix) I just quit it and went back to 360.

Btw, even for a casual player, the stats are all borked. There are persons who top the leaderboards with 9999999999 points in every category, some with quite a few players too. Some guys are able to upload their replays with a date set in the future (example 2016), which means the replay stays at the top....till that date comes. I've seen it all on PC. Also... there are quite a few lag switchers and macro users on PC, if you don't notice then just say you don't. There's a particular Honda player who is famous for that, also a certain blanka player on steam and so many more. Of course, you can avoid them, but nothing is standard there anyway, a guy will just change his steam-name and trick you into playing his laggy macro-using self again.

Played on pc for months regularly and of course there bad connections but most games worked fine/good/great.
And I'm from Europe.

thelastword

Banned
Played on pc for months regularly and of course there bad connections but most games worked fine/good/great.
And I'm from Europe.
Just played moments ago on PC, just to ensure that I wasn't being too harsh here, something is off with it atm. It get's really bad. I'm still on the steam beta by the way. I just played a yellow bar (twice) and he was nothing but molasses.

As for the pics I posted above, I just checked Guile's projectile on the PC version, it seems that you could see his reflection in the boom as well, but it's just a tad less pronounced, maybe it's because I'm playing @720p on PC and 1080p on the PS4. So I guess, it might be normal afterall.

hawk2025

Apart from the devs needing to implement 4-8x MSAA and add even better AF, at least 16xAF on all stages. I've still noticed some issues with the game still.

xlsFytA.jpg

Jesus, the Sonic Boom actually pops up a Driveclub notification?

Fix this shit, Sony.

Iorv3th

The DS4 turns off when not in use. Im playing with a PS3 stick.

I looked to see if there was an option for the DS4 to stay on in the settings but I didnt see any.

There is an option don't remember where, probably under device settings when you hold the playstation button.

It's still a disadvantage, it just applies to both parties.

A lot of stuff I couldn't do online before I turned off vsync I can now because the input lag is better. I can whiff punish more consistently, for example, which is something that made online and offline play completely different.
Okay, vsync off for both makes online more offline-like. Good point.
Gonna get a gsync monitor someday.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

I don't see it. What's wrong with it?

Ok bought the game after I hear the patch is live in EU. I'd say the game is fine to buy now from a casual perspective. Didn't have any problems except for the incredibly bad audio mixing. I hope they'll fix that and improve the IQ a bit more. Other than that I'm perfectly happy with it.

thelastword

Banned
I don't see it. What's wrong with it?
Refer to my more recent post. I tested the PC version soon after, it seems to be in line with what's seen here, so it's normal afterall. It's less noticeable on 360 and PS3 due to the lower resolution btw. In order to make it look better I imagine they'd have to redo the entire effect, but that wasn't their job, anyway, seems to be fine.

cackhyena

Just played moments ago on PC, just to ensure that I wasn't being too harsh here, something is off with it atm. It get's really bad. I'm still on the steam beta by the way. I just played a yellow bar (twice) and he was nothing but molasses.
Yep, it's been the same for me. It was working alright, and now in the last few days it's been garbage.

yurinka

A few extra milliseconds of input lag may mean for them that a game is a complete broken garbage. So according to their opinion nobody should buy the game and should be boycotted.

But the 99.999% of the players, who aren't pro-players doesn't notice this input lag and they would be happy with it, like I am as of now.

Issues like that should remain as what they are: something that for most people will be just a small detail that only a tiny niche of players will notice and for whose will be a major issue. I think really stupid to create a bad mood around a game for an issue that almost nobody will notice.

Like any issue it must be fixed if possible, but sometimes Gaf and Capcom communities are full of hyperbolical toxicity that the games doesn't deserve. Or at least are things that normal players won't care about.

In addition to that, there has been reported at least 1 proved false bug, showing an animated gif of a PC mod. Yes, any existing bugs must be fixed, but I wouldn't confirm that some reported bug is there until several people report that they are experiencing it. But trolls (specially the ones who don't even played this version), please go home and let people enjoy our games.

Riiiight. That's how human perception works. Bear in mind this is the same thread where people have said stuff like, "PS3 lags, the arcade has the least." (When both have the same input lag in actuality)
Yep. Thanks a case of someone throwing shit over something just because he listened that somewhere else or just because made that assumption. He may not even played arcade or PS3 versions.

zoobzone

A few extra milliseconds of input lag may mean for them that a game is a complete broken garbage. So according to their opinion nobody should buy the game and should be boycotted.

But the 99.999% of the players, who aren't pro-players doesn't notice this input lag and they would be happy with it, like I am as of now.

Issues like that should remain as what they are: something that for most people will be just a small detail that only a tiny niche of players will notice and for whose will be a major issue. I think really stupid to create a bad mood around a game for an issue that almost nobody will notice.

Like any issue it must be fixed if possible, but sometimes Gaf and Capcom communities are full of hyperbolical toxicity that the games doesn't deserve. Or at least are things that normal players won't care about.

In addition to that, there has been reported at least 1 proved false bug, showing an animated gif of a PC mod. Yes, any existing bugs must be fixed. But trolls, please go home and let people enjoy our games.

I'm not sure why you're defending a bad port of a game in a patch thread?

First of all, the extra milliseconds of input lag can make quite a big difference. I'm pretty sure everyone has had that moment when they thought they stood up for the overhead and yet still got hit by it.

When the Ryu's crouch medium kick, a commonly used jab is 5 frames start up, and the input lag of the port is more than this, how are you supposed to guard at all? the game becomes a total guessing game at this point.

Second, the audio mixing in this game is complete broken garbage. It hurts my ears when I try to play it.

I think it is fair to boycott this game until the major issues are fixed, as there are better alternatives available on other platforms.

DunpealD

When the Ryu's crouch medium kick, a commonly used jab is 5 frames start up, and the input lag of the port is more than this, how are you supposed to guard at all? the game becomes a total guessing game at this point.

It's not a jab. A jab is light punch. What you are talking about is a poke. Reacting to a 5 framer isn't really possible. That's why in SFIV one blocks low and react to overheads. Practically it's always a prediction and anticipation, by watching spacing and knowing the matchup.

Reacting to counter hits is a completely different topic.

FiggyCal

Banned

In addition to that, there has been reported at least 1 proved false bug, showing an animated gif of a PC mod. Yes, any existing bugs must be fixed, but I wouldn't confirm that some reported bug is there until several people report that they are experiencing it. But trolls, please go home and let people enjoy our games.

What exactly is your problem here? That people who care about this game on neogaf and capcom forums care too much? And that's affecting who exactly?

Let's say Dudley's crouch had a sound glitch. Most players would probably think it's annoyig but normal- but gaf realizes something's up and makes a big deal about it. Developers catch wind and fix it. Ah... But they shouldn't have right? Because normal players would have never noticed.

It's also disrepectful to say that people that have invested hundreds of hours and dollars on this game should just stop complaining when they get handed a product they perceive as dysfunctional because potential new or casual players, not knowing anything about the game, will accept anything.

omonimo

Banned
Can believe such game can't handle 16xAF, AA and high transparencies on ps4. That's awful. Congrats cap com a new level of quality has been reached.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It's also disrepectful to say that people that have invested hundreds of hours and dollars on this game should just stop complaining when they get handed a product they perceive as dysfunctional because potential new or casual players, not knowing anything about the game, will accept anything.

But somehow input lag's a huge problem when it's the same as the arcade version?

Gbraga

But somehow input lag's a huge problem when it's the same as the arcade version?

You mean on the PS3? Well, the PS3 version was considered inferior, yes, but no one called it a broken mess.

Also, being the same as the arcade means nothing. Input lag is objectively bad, the less input lag, the better. It just means that the X360 version is better than even the original one, not that the PS3 is "right".

Or is the PS4 version the same as arcade? I wouldn't think so, since PS3 players reported input lag issues with the PS4 version (when it was supposed to not only match it, but fix whatever caused the higher lag on PS3)

looking to buy this game now that the patch is out. How do I buy it off the US store for 25$? you can only buy PSN cards for 10, 20 and 50.

i'm buying from the UK so can't use paypal but I don't want to over spend either.

You can't, as far as I know, unfortunately. You'll have to add that extra $5 you don't need to your account.

funkypie

Banned
looking to buy this game now that the patch is out. How do I buy it off the US store for 25$? you can only buy PSN cards for 10, 20 and 50.

i'm buying from the UK so can't use paypal but I don't want to over spend either.

SSReborn

If you're using psn cards there is no other way, gotta overspend by like 5 bucks. Unless the fund from your cellphone thing works for you then you can buy a 20 and add the last 5 with your phone.

funkypie

Banned
If you're using psn cards there is no other way, gotta overspend by like 5 bucks. Unless the fund from your cellphone thing works for you then you can buy a 20 and add the last 5 with your phone.

just tried the mobile phone thing, won't work as it is only supported by 3 US carriers.

Refer to my more recent post. I tested the PC version soon after, it seems to be in line with what's seen here, so it's normal afterall. It's less noticeable on 360 and PS3 due to the lower resolution btw. In order to make it look better I imagine they'd have to redo the entire effect, but that wasn't their job, anyway, seems to be fine.

People are seeing ghosts now.

vg260

I don't think calling out bad work and giving fair warning to those not as familiar with a game that has been around for seven years, is not a hardware-intensive game, has a dedicated following, and is the focus of a major publisher-backed tournament is hyperbole. Sony/Capcom also brought a lot of the reaction on themselves by hyping this up to be the "ultimate version on any platform". That's some hyperbole they better live up to. Without the Capcom Cup tie-in, and Sony heralding it as the best one, specifically calling out fixing the lag, the reaction likely wouldn't have been so strong. The situation is a lot more nuanced then just being an ok, functional port

This game is held to more exacting standards than say, a port of God of War or something noncompetitive that doesn't have a hardcore following of both tournament players and spectators. Just look at how much work went into Ultra balance changes over months where they solicited input from fans, did play tests and on paper end up with moves tweaked by a few frames here or there. To those not following the scene, that sounds so trivial.

If there was a Call of Duty port where the aiming was slightly inaccurate, but didn't affect most casual players, it would be totally justified for those who take it seriously to rally for fixes and call out a botched effort. I certainly wouldn't notice the difference not being a pro shooter player, but that doesn't mean it's not an issue or a poor job. I also probably wouldn't be justified telling those dedicated players to stop nitpicking and enjoy the game. I could totally understand where they were coming from if they told me not to buy it, because ultimately purchases reward the effort, and they would be doing a disservice to their most dedicated fans.

People will get riled up about this game when handled poorly. As long as no ones insulting people who are not invested enough in the details to mind, I don't see anything wrong with informing people of what a bad effort it was.

stn

@yurinka

Frames mean everything in fighting games, especially one that Capcom is trying to market as the new tournament standard. No offense intended but I'm not sure you understand what kind of a difference input lag can have on a fighting game.

Also, being the same as the arcade means nothing. Input lag is objectively bad, the less input lag, the better.

That's not true at all. Depends entirely on which version the game was designed/balanced around.

At this point, the "best" version is the version people are used to. At one time that was PS3, then it became Xbox. Yet, PS3 players enter Xbox tourneys, and Xbox players ented PS3 tourneys. Imagine that.

Imm0rt4l

That's not true at all. Depends entirely on which version the game was designed/balanced around.

At this point, the "best" version is the version people are used to. At one time that was PS3, then it became Xbox. Yet, PS3 players enter Xbox tourneys, and Xbox players ented PS3 tourneys. Imagine that.
This. At one point it was all about being arcade perfect. Arcades are mostly irrelevant now. When the differences are minor as they are between ps3 and 360 version it is subjective which is better. It boils down to preference of the masses.

Though I don't think the ps3 version has ever been regarded as the best. It was the EVO tourney standard. Ps3 version was regarded as objectively worse because netplay though.

Top Bottom