• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 PS4 patch is live

Edzi

Also, is it officially okay to buy this port now?

If what they say in the patch notes about the input lag is true, then maybe. Personally, I'm going to be waiting for some more definitive answers and tests from people who know what they're talking about. If it gets the approval of the pro level players, I'm ready to buy it as soon as possible.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Input lag is much improved, atleast compred to before the patch. Still iffy on whether it matches up to 360

Nocturno999

Contrast still needs adjustment in some stages. At least the Elena Rolento mode selection screen doesn't look that bad.
Sounds improved a lot but at least in Small Airfield stage people steps still sound like Mecha Zangief.

Input feels great and online while not as good as the PC version, works great.

AmyS

Just messing around in arcade mode. All I can say is, it does feel noticeably better. I'm not noticing the amount input delay that I did before. I think I'll finally try some online. matches.

Valle is streaming the PS4 version right now and is using a PS3 stick. I haven't heard him giving any impressions of the input lag with the PS3 stick, but he's not complaining either.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive

Funny thing is that in the previous threads about this I said the input lag didn't bother me and I was playing on PS3 and PC before the PS4 version. What I didn't realize is that I've been playing with Vsync since the beginning of the year. I had to reinstall the game and just didn't bother with it. And I somehow forgot that I had Vsync on. That's why I kept saying that going from PS4 to PC felt the same to me.

Played online and it's definitely better but green bars can be deceiving in quality. Still some stuttering and lag here and there, could be my connection but I'm ethernet so not likely. One more patch should do it...

Still, kinda meh on even playing USF4 now. Omega mode is good fun, but I needs that SF5 in my system. So tired of this mix-up hard knockdown game.

gilley

I got 3.69f of input lag on a TE2 in patch 1.03. My 360 tests gave me 3.57f. This pretty much mirrors the displaylag.com tests. The games feel pretty much identical to me.

Edzi

I got 3.69f of input lag on a TE2 in patch 1.03. My 360 tests gave me 3.57f. This pretty much mirrors the displaylag.com tests. The games feel pretty much identical to me.

well_there_it_is.gif

Been waiting for you to weigh in on this. Very good to hear.

So are there any other gameplay related issues with this port, or do we finally have a version that lives up to their initial promises?

well_there_it_is.gif

Been waiting for you to weigh in on this. Very good to hear.

So are there any other gameplay related issues with this port, or do we finally have a version that lives up to their initial promises?

Other than some stages that need better AF and some AA this version pretty much matches up with current tournament standard. I am using a VLX and not a PS3 stick so I don't know if there is still a lag issue there. I'm sure there will be another patch or two that'll make it even better. This is the game that should have launched weeks ago.

HardRojo

Yep, it's good to see this patched and in better shape than what was released a couple of weeks ago. I hope they release a couple more patches at least to make it even better.
Edit: I'd like to know if using a PS3 TE Round 2 is a good option since it's the only stick I can use on my PS4 right now.

Syntsui

If only they waited 2 weeks to iron out the issues this could've been avoided... Good to know everything is good now.

Since it was patched so quickly, why isn't this being put back onto the tournaments? If Sony and Capcpom are putting up prize money, they should have a say in what events they want it in, especially with it being fixed quickly. Or is it something due to possible new bugs?

vg260

Since it was patched so quickly, why isn't this being put back onto the tournaments? If Sony and Capcpom are putting up prize money, they should have a say in what events they want it in, especially with it being fixed quickly. Or is it something due to possible new bugs?

It might be, it's just too close to EVO and other upcoming ones. Plus it's not guaranteed totally issue-free yet.

Slixshot

Banned

It was legit JUST fixed completely (well, I think completely) today. Wait a little bit and we may see things change.

Sillution

I'm sure the tournament organizers do not want to risk any unfound glitches/bugs with this version. I feel like it will still be a while before the PS4 version is the standard. Weekly tournaments will be the best test for this before it goes to majors.

Edzi

It might be, it's just too close to EVO and other upcoming ones. Plus it's not guaranteed totally issue-free yet.

Btw, I know you were also holding off on this version until it was fixed, so do you think this patch finally makes it worth a purchase? Or are you still waiting?

leehom

I admit it, you guys are right. I thought the game played fine, but chalked it off to rust when I couldn't perform certain moves/combos. After playing with this updated patch, I play like my old self again. Which means the game did have problems.

vg260

It was legit JUST fixed completely (well, I think completely) today. Wait a little bit and we may see things change.

For tournament players, the biggest issue seem to have been fixed, but there are still some cosmetic annoyances and oversights to patch. So not completely. I just hope they still address them so it is truly the best version all-around, and not just the bare minimum to be used in tournaments.

Btw, I know you were also holding off on this version until it was fixed, so do you think this patch finally makes it worth a purchase? Or are you still waiting?

I actually bought it the second it went up, which is why I was so irked about the state it was in.

There's some stuff that bugs me still, but if it launched as-is, it would probably be worth it as it pretty much serves the purpose for having it on PS4 in one place with other fighters for a low price. I still would have expected a patch for some of the graphical oversights, but nothing to that would be a deal-breaker to most people. I'm hoping most people move over to this version on consoles now, actually.

Nice to hear the main culprit is being fixed, now let's get some AA on this thing, the 360 version had 2xMSAA, there really isn't reason this shouldn't have at least that much and increase the AF too.

zoobzone

The input lag definitely feels better.

I have found that in the Old Temple stage, the background music is much louder than it is on other stages. Note that I'm using the default music by stage, not the arranged music.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Other than some stages that need better AF and some AA this version pretty much matches up with current tournament standard. I am using a VLX and not a PS3 stick so I don't know if there is still a lag issue there. I'm sure there will be another patch or two that'll make it even better. This is the game that should have launched weeks ago.

Didn't they already address the AF issue with the previous patch though?

Houndi101

So is the graphical fidelity the only thing to fix at this point?
Should I reward Sony with my moneyz now that they have patched it twice or wait a bit longer?

the patch has been out for less than a day. There's plenty more that can be wrong with it.

vg260

So is the graphical fidelity the only thing to fix at this point?
Should I reward Sony with my moneyz now that they have patched it twice or wait a bit longer?

If you can live with what is like a 1080p 360 version still having some blurry ground textures and low-res hit effects, and/or if you don't have or plan to get the PC version, it's probably fine. User base is on the small side so far, but you can probably still find matches fairly quickly.

Houndi101

If you can live with what is like a 1080p 360 version still having some blurry ground textures and low-res hit effects, and/or if you don't have or plan to get the PC version, it's probably fine. User base is on the small side so far, but you can probably still find matches fairly quickly.

Nyeh, well my Hori Rap 4 is gonna work on PC so I could get it on that platform too from the Steam Sales when it goes daily but but, I would want to assume PS4 is gonna have more players though?

kitzkozan

Just bought. Complete beginner to fighting games, is there an OT? I can't find anything.

You're jumping in at a good time, but don't be in too much of a hurry to hop online. Most above average / pro players are gradually moving on to this version, so there's a lot of sharks online lol. I suggest reading the OT and checking out websites such as shoryuken.com. :] Eventually, there's a couple of nice Juicebox videos about footsies and stuff like that, but that's for another time.

Well, there it is. I don't feel bad about buying it at all, then.

Hopefully they can fix other problems but I am glad that things are getting sorted out in a timely fashion.

Auctopus

You're jumping in at a good time, but don't be in too much of a hurry to hop online. Most above average / pro players are gradually moving on to this version, so there's a lot of sharks online lol. I suggest reading the OT and checking out websites such as shoryuken.com. :] Eventually, there's a couple of nice Juicebox videos about footsies and stuff like that, but that's for another time.

Thank you, no I'm more than aware of what the competition's like online, haha

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Offtopic: are you Sean Gilley? If so, your Guile combo vid are awesome, ,mad props!

Ontopic: Will buy now

The new patch makes a big difference.

I stopped playing SF4 after Super on the 360 a couple of years ago. Last week, I bought this and immediately chocked up my inconsistent landing of combos to be nothing more than rust.

Some of it was rust, yes. But I played a few matches this morning and immediately landed a host of 2-in-1's and links that I had struggled to pull off consistently before. Nice!

I also think the patch reduced the thick black outline surrounding fighters. I know comparison screen shots show backgrounds are a bit blurrier, but coming off a two-year hiatus I wouldn't have noticed a difference.

USF4 at $25 is a good deal now, gang. Super happy.

Top Bottom