• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II Price/Release date announced: $40, May 26th

krumble

Now part of the problem guys sorry!

Couldn't resist the email just got from Nintendo

Physical version + SF 30th anniversary tshirt
£34.99 shipped

I paid £65 out my Xmas money from my granny Dec 1992.. that was A LOT of money back then

Running it through an inflation calculator today works out about £135 for the bare bones SF2 original release

No I don't agree it should be £34.99 now, but hey I have the disposable income these days, I spend 3-4 times as much on a single night out

Think a lot of people from my generation might look at it the same..

40 dollars... lol doa

Capcom thought that the FGC would eat this full price like some mindlessly did with SFV when the game was revealed to be rushed and has less content than previous entries.

"I only care about mp"

Interesting to see what happens though since they are taking advantage of the switch drought.

mojojoeo

Not to mention there is no good control scheme for this.

No dpad on joycons. and the dpad on the pro con has issues.

just a bad idea, even at 20$

Malice215

I was going to pass on this because of the price tag, but I want to play Street Fighter on the go. $40 is nothing compared to what I've spent thus far on the Switch, and discounts will knock the price down further.

Capcom thought that the FGC would eat this full price like some mindlessly did with SFV when the game was revealed to be rushed and has less content than previous entries.

"I only care about mp"

Interesting to see what happens though since they are taking advantage of the switch drought.

Street Fighter has lacked features for decades. Hasn't stopped people from buying the game numerous times.

The dpad on the joycon works surprising well, and I've had 0 issues using the pro controller exclusively for a month, which is why I'm excited to use it for USF2.

I think $40 for this is a joke.

....but it's receiving a physical version.

A physical version of Street Fighter II on a cart in 2017.

Pre-ordered!

Z..

No I don't agree it should be £34.99 now, but hey I have the disposable income these days, I spend 3-4 times as much on a single night out

Lived in London for quite a bit until last year and dear god... there really is no need to be spending such ridiculous amounts of money on one single night out.

This.

Everyone trips over $39.99 MSRPs. Do people seriously not use Amazon Prime and/or Best Buy GCU?

Subscription based services are bad, mmkay?

mcmmaster

Crazy how pale this is compared to the effort and budget Capcom put towards the Wii's exclusive fighter TvC, gosh what an amazing game that was.

What a poor state Capcom must be in to charge $40 this.

I've been using Amazon Prime since it began. So the 20% discount is icing on the cake. So I can't present an unbiased view of the service. But I think it's definitely worth it for video games alone.

Z..

%20 off of games old and new and toys to life for only $30 a year is bad??? Not sure I want to be right then...

That you don't see why it's bad says everything. I fear we'll forever be lost because we just cannot be discerning with our spending. We're living too privileged a life to even understand what is going on anymore... Disposable incomes and individualism are like gasoline and matches.

Idk, I've been playing the NeoGeo fighters on the Switch and even though it's not as good as an arcade stick the joy cons are fine for me. Better than I expected before launch.

That you don't see why it's bad says everything. I fear we'll forever be lost because we just cannot be discerning with our spending. We're living too privileged a life to even understand what is going on anymore... Disposable incomes and individualism are like gasoline and matches.
People buy games... People buy lots of stuff. That's life. What people choose to spend there money on is on them. Not sure what your point it's trying prove...

The Hermit

This is my main reason for buying a Switch, since I played Zelda on the WiiU.

I just hope the game is well balanced enough.

You are talking about privilege in a videogame forum. Think about it.

Skilletor

It's videogames, man. You're posting about privilege on an enthusiast message board trying to lecture people about their buying habits re: games.

That's...something.

oti

Banned
Crazy how pale this is compared to the effort and budget Capcom put towards the Wii's exclusive fighter TvC, gosh what an amazing game that was.

What a poor state Capcom must be in to charge $40 this.

OT but I need to say this I dislike TvC with a passion ok now I said it.

40€ is a lot of money.

Timu

It appears you can perform Vega's cage climb in this game:
_2056313b.png
It's cool that it's back at least.

petghost

Banned
any recent footage?

last time i saw the game it seemed like the e. ryu/ken would prolly be tournament banned and i hope they adjust that so we dont just have weird ST with throw breaks.

still down tho.

Mega

Banned
This annoys me so much. I mean it's an enhanced SSFII, that's... nice. But come on. SFV? SFIV? III? UMvC3? MvC2?! Collection of older Vs games if licenses aren't a problem?? SF Alpha collection????? Hell, port Tatsunoko vs Capcom upres'd to a nice 720p/1080p! Something meatier and more modern. And worthy of a $40-ish price tag! This is outrageous for the asking price, especially next to the Neo Geo fighters on Switch for only $8 (KOF '98 has way more content).

There are enough bad things to question about the source of the raw materials used to build your TV/computer/monitor/smartphone, the pay and labor conditions of the people who built your electronics, the domestic workers made jobless because you help contribute to widespread purchase of cheap imported products, the low-paid workforce of the online and retail vendors you regularly patronize, how your devices are being powered and the way they're contributing to long-term environmental damage, your ISP's terrible practices (lobbying against net neutrality and cheap municipal broadband). Etc.

It's best not to get hung up over it unless we collectively go all in and toss out all of our electronics, cancel our Internet and stop shopping for luxury/non-essential goods.

Z..

You are talking about privilege in a videogame forum. Think about it.

The fact that it's a video game forum isn't what makes it silly, it's that it's a predominantly wealthy video game forum. Difference is night and day. South American and Spanish/Portuguese/Italian/Greek forums are a contrast to this reality. Big gaming scenes but the spending habits of wealthier nations are changing our experience. For example, because wealthier nations fully embraced the paid online subscription model, my local online community is no more, as of this gen. All migrated to PC, pretty much. It was one expense too many.

It's videogames, man. You're posting about privilege on an enthusiast message board trying to lecture people about their buying habits re: games.

That's...something.

The industry caters to those of us with a disposable income but we're not the ones who suffer the consequences of our actions. Hence the lecture. It won't change anything but venting is therapeutic. I'm from the EU but due to circumstances outside of my control I'm stuck in a lousy job market earning 400€ a month with no prospects despite putting in the work all because the banking industry in the US got greedy. You may not see it, but the actions of G7 residents shape the reality of everyone else's lives. In gaming too.

Lived in London for quite a bit until last year and dear god... there really is no need to be spending such ridiculous amounts of money on one single night out.

Subscription based services are bad, mmkay?

For everyone? I like my Prime shipping, Video service, Twitch Subscription, and Cloud storage just fine with my Prime Subscription. 20% off new released games is ultra bonus.

For the record, yes USF2 is over priced. I would still get it with my Prime discount , but that's me.

Z..

There are enough bad things to question about the source of the raw materials used to build your TV/computer/monitor/smartphone, the pay and labor conditions of the people who built your electronics, the domestic workers made jobless because you help contribute to widespread purchase of cheap imported products, the low-paid workforce of the online and retail vendors you regularly patronize, how your devices are being powered and the way they're contributing to long-term environmental damage, your ISP's terrible practices (lobbying against net neutrality and cheap municipal broadband). Etc.

It's best not to get hung up over it unless we collectively go all in and toss out all of our electronics, cancel our Internet and stop shopping for luxury/non-essential goods.

My thesis was on sustainability and according to the people I interviewed this is certainly not true at all. We just need to drastically slow down on our rates of consumption. Literaly all it takes is better regulation and higher taxes. Products will become alot more expensive than they are, obviously, but it is incredibly easy to achieve. All it takes is a willingness to give up the ridiculously privileged lives we lead in favor of a fairer but still prosperous existence. Nobody needs this much excess. Of course, this will never, ever, EVER happen... living in London taught me that much. Individualism is the only true plague.

This annoys me so much. I mean it's an enhanced SSFII, that's... nice. But come on. SFV? SFIV? III? UMvC3? MvC2?! Collection of older Vs games if licenses aren't a problem?? SF Alpha collection????? Hell, port Tatsunoko vs Capcom upres'd to a nice 720p/1080p! Something meatier and more modern. And worthy of a $40-ish price tag! This is outrageous for the asking price, especially next to the Neo Geo fighters on Switch for only $8 (KOF '98 has way more content).

Some of us have been wanting a new Super Street Fighter II, especially one quite a bit better than the old Super Turbo HD Remix. It's a great pick-up-and-play multiplayer game that people can play without learning all the intricacies of a newer game like SFIV or V. A *ton* of people have played SFII who haven't played the newer games - it's a more casual fighter. And while KOF'98 has more characters, I dunno if I'd say it has "way more content", this game has new modes remember, including story and that 3D motion-controlled minigame.

As for $40, I do think that's a bit too expensive, but not by a huge amount - I'd be fine with a $30 pricetag (luckily, I can use Prime to get it for $32 at least).

Gurrry

It should had been no higher than 30 bucks IMO.

Considering that this is just a port of Street Fighter 2 HD (someone correct me if im wrong) and that costs 14.99 right now...

Id say it should not have been higher than 14.99.

So sitting at $40, this is the same price as USF4 right?

Because honestly I'd rather go with 4 for $40. Lots more characters.

If it was pixel art with some crt options and maybe double the roster of the original 2 I'd be in so hard for that price. I don't really like the cartoon hd sf style

Glad it exists though

It does have the pixel art though.

Considering that this is just a port of Street Fighter 2 HD (someone correct me if im wrong) and that costs 14.99 right now...

You're wrong.

I do think $40 is a bit much. I'd have guessed $24.99 or maybe 29.99.

But, the price has been known for so long now. A little surprised to see people still bringing it up as if it's new information.

Z..

It does have the pixel art though.

You're wrong.

I do think $40 is a bit much. I'd have guessed $24.99 or maybe 29.99.

But, the price has been known for so long now. A little surprised to see people still bringing it up as if it's new information.

Realistically it shouldn't ever exceed 20, come on...

JusDoIt

I can definitely understand people not wanting to pay the full $40 for this, but I'm a sucker who happily paid $30 for Wild Guns Reloaded a few months ago and will be happy to cop this at full price too.

You're wrong. While it is reusing a lot of the SSF2T HD Remix art, its core balance has changed, it has more moves, more techniques, more modes, two new characters. It even has a full 3D-rendered minigame using SFV art and motion controls.

Top Bottom