• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers |OT| Retro Salt At Twice The Price!

After seeing how broken Evil Ryu and Violent Ken are I no longer feel dirty about picking Akuma for ranked matches now.

I still think Akuma feels way more OP than E.Ryu and Violent Ken in this. Probably a symptom of playing Zangief but his air-fireballs (which I don't think Lariat passes through) make him far more difficult to get in on. So, so many of the folk I've fought online switched to Akuma after their initial loss. I only have a 30% win rate against Akuma players and that's mostly because the ones I beat didn't know how to block.

I'm interested in seeing how the game performs, sales-wise. If it does decently then I guess it wasn't overpriced after all.

Ranked just matches you with one person, and when the game is over, it takes you back to the lobby with that one person so you can play again, and again, and....

I haven't tried casual yet.

...........Really? That sounds completely bizarre. I can't think of any other game that functions like that.

So no matter the option, you end up in a 2 man lobby?

...........Really? That sounds completely bizarre. I can't think of any other game that functions like that.

So no matter the option, you end up in a 2 man lobby?

Ranked is a two-player lobby and it disbands after three matches are played (even if it's three straight wins; it's not best-of-three).

I believe Casual doesn't have a match limit? The options it offers over Ranked are setting it to Friends Only and changing the rounds from Best of 3 to Best of 5. You can also change the Time Limit to 60 seconds, instead of 99 (but not infinite).

Ranked just matches you with one person, and when the game is over, it takes you back to the lobby with that one person so you can play again, and again, and....

I haven't tried casual yet.

There is a 3-match limit to ranked, like SFV (assuming both parties agree). Unlike SFV the limit is always 3 instead of the Best of 3 / first to 2 wins setup.

There is a 3-match limit to ranked, like SFV (assuming both parties agree). Unlike SFV the limit is always 3 instead of the Best of 3 / first to 2 wins setup.
Yeah, it's really dumb, it should really be a room where people are queued up to play the winner, or at least a way to keep playing against different people rather than the same person over and over.
do the colour edits work in classic mode too?
Yup!

I still think Akuma feels way more OP than E.Ryu and Violent Ken in this. Probably a symptom of playing Zangief but his air-fireballs (which I don't think Lariat passes through) make him far more difficult to get in on. So, so many of the folk I've fought online switched to Akuma after their initial loss. I only have a 30% win rate against Akuma players and that's mostly because the ones I beat didn't know how to block.

I'm interested in seeing how the game performs, sales-wise. If it does decently then I guess it wasn't overpriced after all.

I had success with Guile against a player who did not but air fireball.

Yeah, it's really dumb, it should really be a room where people are queued up to play the winner, or at least a way to keep playing against different people rather than the same person over and over.

Yup!

Your "over and over" is giving the wrong impression. You don't keep playing the same person over and over. It's a Max of three games.

RedFox85

Fought a guy not 2 hours ago and had a good time, tiny bit of lag but not bad. He kept picking evil Ryu all 3 matches.. I smoked him with regular ass ken! Good times!

Yeah it's really bad, but I'm not surprised. So much fun wrecking these evil ryu and kens online when it works.

I hope capcom patches in an option to ignore evil ryu or whatever hes called. Akuma too. So annoying.

Why people call it "fun" to stand in a corner and with evil ryu and repeatedly throw hadokens. Video "game". Yeah thats no game.

RedFox85

Color editor is legit, made super saiyan blue styled ken! I think this game was worth the 30$ Amazon price I'm having allot of fun. I can see the price complaints if you go the 40+ dollar route but 30 for physical was ok by me. I played online for about an hour in ranked, so many rage quits but I still got the BP so w/e, there is something satisfying about having someone rage quit on you but at the same time you sympathize with them because you know your next ass whooping is just around the corner.

Neoxon

After listening to Cammy & Vega's USFII themes (the former is one of her best, Vega's actually comes close to his SFV theme's greatness), I really hope that Capcom lets us buy other versions of the veteran characters' themes with Fight Money in SFV.

tribal24

Banned
Color editor is legit, made super saiyan blue styled ken! I think this game was worth the 30$ Amazon price I'm having allot of fun. I can see the price complaints if you go the 40+ dollar route but 30 for physical was ok by me. I played online for about an hour in ranked, so many rage quits but I still got the BP so w/e, there is something satisfying about having someone rage quit on you but at the same time you sympathize with them because you know your next ass whooping is just around the corner.

Damn I'm about to make super saipan street fighter cast now lol

Doctre81

I've been putting in work with good ole Regular Ken. I was actually the ranked #3 Ken player in the US last night. Felt pretty good about that. :)

Any tips on getting gud for someone who has never been great at fighting games?
Super Turbo is known for being brutal and unforgiving.

- Stop jumping so much. Unless you're Akuma, there is very little reason for you to jump in without a very safe setup. Even back jumps can be unsafe with incorrect spacing.

- Always look for the throw window. Sometimes, the safest thing you can do for positioning is throwing your opponent. It will also get you I'm the mindset of watching your actions for throw vulnerability.

- Learn your characters Reversals. It's usually your characters only actual "get out of jail free" card. Some characters (like Dhalsim) only have their super move as the only reversal, so plan accordingly.

- Play offensively. This is a game that rewards super tight, aggressive play. Come up with a solid approach that is safe.

Does anyone have impressions from a super turbo fan? I know it's not exactly super turbo.

I think I'm gonna cave and pick this up to play a new version of ST online. I love that game.

Wow this thread isn't very active it seems..

Got the game, had an online ranked fight which I won and had a playthrough of arcade mode with Ryu. I like it a lot, though I'm still getting used to the 'new' announcer and redone music. Will be switching to classic mode shortly.

Kinda disappointed that that the inside of the game box doesn't have any cool artwork, it's just blank. The art gallery is nice though, you can zoom in and out with the touchscreen which is neat.

I'm a SNES Street Fighter 2 veteran, so I'm, not the best person to ask about speed changes unfortunately.

[edit] My friend code is 3581-7872-4411.

Jazzem

Despite my pre-release cynicism, I'm having an absolute blast with this :) God I love SF2 so much, so having a decent version of it w/online on a portable is wonderful. Surprisingly workable with the joycon 'dpad' too.

I'm generally happy playing with the old visuals/new sound, I love a lot of the new remixes. Just a shame I'm not keen on the Cammy one which is one of my favourite SF songs, plus I wish you could play new visuals in 4:3 and having old sound effects + new music.

Just hope the online stays active, I was running frequently into the same players over and over the past day or so. Was great in a way as there were some wonderful matches there, but I want this to be a game I can pick up and play down the line for training w/fight request on reliably.

My friend code: 8438-1968-4576 (username Jazzem). Will add folks here, I'm in the UK so for those abroad hopefully we have a decent connection if we play :)

Does anyone have impressions from a super turbo fan? I know it's not exactly super turbo.

I think I'm gonna cave and pick this up to play a new version of ST online. I love that game.

I can't be particularly granular with observations on balance changes, but it seems remarkably close to ST from early glances. Nicer in some ways since they've nerfed Akuma, his stamina's so awful now :p Worth watching videos to see if it's at a speed you like too, it's perfect for me while HD Remix was too fast for my liking.

Regardless, it's probably your best bet for online SF2 at the moment, I can't imagine HD Remix on original mode is active these days.

Filter

Violent ken does a lot of damage but I don't think his dash is that amazing once you get used to dealing with it.

It's not invincible to hits, although I think it goes through fireballs. I was trying to preempt it by sticking out heavy kicks, which the ken would dash into. But that's kind of dangerous if he decides to fireball instead. What I'm doing now is mashing medium punch when I see him do the dash. For Deejay anyway, medium punch is a throw, and it works every time and does a big chunk of damage.

Throwing the dash shuts violent ken down pretty quickly. I've been beating the world ranked #3 violent ken consistently (who isn't really good, he just relies on dashing behind then doing huge damage with a c.hp xx fierce shoryuken).

kRC64Htm.png

Come on, guys!

The Horror is here, begging for a beat down.

Friend code: SW-0043-4076-1930

graybot

Played online for the first time tonight. 10 consecutive matches and all ran perfectly. But on the match up screen where it shows the signal bar, where my opponents all had half or 3/4 bars. Mine was always at the bottom. As in Indicating I had no signal at all.

As for how a i did, I lost the first two to evil ryu's and then went on the rampage with 8 victories in and a row, using a mix of bison, Honda and blanka. Very impressed with my performance, as I normally get my ass handed to me in fighting games,

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I play with the analog stick and have no issue to be a beast online with Ryu. This is my favorite fighting game of all time, online and on a handheld. So good.

Richie

Game dropped all the way to #23 most sold videogame Amazon US product (from being the best sold videogame on Friday at #6 IIRC). On the other hand ARMS got to #4. Of course this ain't indicative of much in the grand scheme of things; still, I'm very curious as to its potential legs.

PixlNinja

Banned
I had a sealed copy of Doom PS4 that I had bought for $15 @ Walmart on BF that I just returned for $32 and wound up picking this up.

I mean, it's Street Fighter 2. Capcom is still fucking crazy for charging $40 for this tho. There should definitely be more options and things to tweak considering this is supposed to be the final version of SF2. Having the different CPS/Console music/sounds as an option would have been really cool..

I really feel like I shouldn't have rewarded Capcom with my money but at least maybe this means they'll port something more contemporary over.

mrk8885

Banned
Dumb question, but I'm kinda new to street fighter:

What is the "base game" for this switch version? There's so many different versions of SF2 and I want to look up strategy guides and combos and move sets , etc.

But I don't know which old game I should use.

Thanks.

CO_Andy

Dumb question, but I'm kinda new to street fighter:

What is the "base game" for this switch version? There's so many different versions of SF2 and I want to look up strategy guides and combos and move sets , etc.

But I don't know which old game I should use.

Thanks.
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Why are fighting games still being shipped in 2017 w/o a quitter penalty.

Actually, why is any competitive game in 2017 shipping without a penalty for quitting?

Bog

Junior Ace
I had a sealed copy of Doom PS4 that I had bought for $15 @ Walmart on BF that I just returned for $32 and wound up picking this up.

Pretty fucking pathetic way to save $17.

So is everyone just using the Pro controller? I imagine the 4 button d-pad isn't great on the cons.

What's the consensus on the switch version? Should I wait for a sale or is it a must have?

I'm personally enjoying this game a lot more than I thought. Online has been smooth, and when you have the urge to do arcade mode, you breeze through it like it's nothing, but it's still pretty fun!

I would say to go for it, but wait for others to let you know if you should.

Felensis

Banned
So far I love this game (again) even though it's my first purchase in SFII history. Nevertheless as a kid I've played lots of SFIIT and SSFII. Even though I feared the worst for online in terms of me getting smashed ridiculously by pro gamers it currently is quite the opposite. Which is... nice :D

Had one rage quitter and there was no penalty for him/her nor a bonus for me. This sucks, but fighting with most people was huge fun. Even though if someone got smashed consecutively both of us pressed 'ready' within a sec :)
While I breeze through Arcade and Online with Ryu/Ken those charge chars are still not mine. They're so slow ass and charging specials still feels like a pain in the ass. I just can't attack and counter quick enough with them. With these chars I even hassle to get through Normal difficulty in Arcade Mode.

Way of the Hado is surprisingly fun and I highly advise to do the Dojo to learn the motion controls. For some reason the Tatsumake isn't working properly for me which destroys perfect runs. While I can reproduce the Tatsumake in Dojo perfectly fine it just won't work properly while playing the actual levels -_-

Oh and the Pro Controller Dpad once agains shows what an utter piece of shit it is. The game is unplayable with it. Even though I got a replacement it's still shit. Random up/down inputs all over the place. Dpad of Joy-Cons won't do the trick for me either so currently I'm doing best with analog sticks. Though none of them feels 100% satisfying in any way which is a shame.

The art gallery is ace and yet I have to try those buddy fights.

qko

Oh and the Pro Controller Dpad once agains shows what an utter piece of shit it is. The game is unplayable with it. Even though I got a replacement it's still shit. Random up/down inputs all over the place. Dpad of Joy-Cons won't do the trick for me either so currently I'm doing best with analog sticks. Though none of them feels 100% satisfying in any way which is a shame.

The Pro Controller's D-Pad has been the most disappointing (not worst, just disappointing) piece of hardware in Nintendo's history.

Surprisingly the analog sticks play really nice with this game, I know purists may scoff at the idea, but the sticks are tight enough to pull off the moves very easily.

Pasedo

Does anyone know how to fix or minimise the atrocious input lag. Feels like even more of a rip off with bad online play.

Does anyone know how to fix or minimise the atrocious input lag. Feels like even more of a rip off with bad online play.

Are you talking about actual input lag or the input delay induced by the online code? I don't feel any major input lag offline.

On the subject of the pro controller d-pad I've come to the same conclusion that some of the previous posters: it's crap. But strangely I feel quite comfortable playing with the joy-con d-buttons...

Top Bottom