• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - Reviews

Shikoba

I wish they would have just released the game similair to what they are doing with the Neo Geo titles. I don't need the new graphics and such. Just give me the classic game at a decent price. :/

Love it. Completely playable for me using joycons.

Had an online match and got a win by a sliver of health. Was down to last hit and I got it. Was really Laggy tho (not sure what region this RatKing was in)

Looks like I have an abundance of GameStop credit thsnks to the stealth bump and flips from best buy so I'll pick this up digitally. Getting the credit at about half cost so $20 for super turbo online on switch is worth it to me.

I watched GameXplain's video review. It's pretty clear that he isn't a big fighting game person, but the speed looks significantly better than earlier builds. It's closer to Turbo1 on ST than it was before.

Yeah, I totally admit I'm no fighting game guru. Smash is the only fighting game series I can really throw down in, and even then I mostly just focus on Smash Wii U now.

However, I'm not a total scrub when it comes to other fighting games and do have more than just casual/passing knowledge of Street Fighter. I loosely follow the FGC and keep abreast of things like balance changes, so I know for example that USFII has a different set of balance changes than HD Remix did, I know where Violent Ken originated and actually played SvC Chaos quite a bit back in the day, etc.

That said, yeah, I'm never going to be able to discuss the differences between, say, Super Turbo Guile and vanilla SFII Guile. (But I know there are differences, and I know Hyper Street Fighter II and other versions let you specifically pick SFII versions of characters at the cost of having no super meter... see? Not a total scrub!)

molnizzle

If you mean how can you remove the border, you can't, the classic game had a 4:3 aspect ratio rather than wide screen so the classic mode does too. Otherwise they would have had to have zoomed in, cutting off the top and/or bottom of the screen, or stretched it horizontally, making things look extra wide, or a combination of the two. And that kinda goes against the point of using classic graphics.

I think he's talking about making it solid black rather than having "ULTRA STREET FIGHTER 2" scrawled vertically down the side.

Is there any way to do that?

audio_delay

Neo Member
Kind of disappointed that there are no bonus stages in arcade mode. I knew something was missing.
I don't know, I still like SF2 turbo better than all the other SF2 versions, or maybe i am bad at learning new command inputs for old characters. I thought my pro pad was broken, until I discovered that chun-li's spinning kick wasn't down->up+kick

Gren

Kind of disappointed that there are no bonus stages in arcade mode. I knew something was missing.
I don't know, I still like SF2 turbo better than all the other SF2 versions, or maybe i am bad at learning new command inputs for old characters. I thought my pro pad was broken, until I discovered that chun-li's spinning kick wasn't down->up+kick
IIRC, they were removed since SSF2. Not an excuse as to why they couldn't have added them here, but more a reminder on which version this is based on.

EDIT: Oh, I guess Super did have them. I know ST definitely didn't, at least.

Filter

I'm pretty sure I ran into your DJ and you kicked my Ryus butt a few times.

I need to move to a pad or fight stick... the d buttons are arse!

Are you in Aus or nz? We should play some games if you like. My friend code is 6125-1794-2514. I haven't seen where to play vs friends in the menu.

I'm using a pro controller, but I really can't recommend it. Because the d-pad can be pushed in when you roll your thumb from left to right, it will sometimes do an up input in between. I have a huge amount of input errors. Doing upkicks instead of sobat kicks etc. I've ordered an 8bitdo controller, so hopefully that works better. In the meantime I'm thinking of playing with the analogue stick... tragic

I think he's talking about making it solid black rather than having "ULTRA STREET FIGHTER 2" scrawled vertically down the side.

Is there any way to do that?

Actually, my game had the outline of the cover art versus the bolded USF2 text. Huh...

Yes hi I have a question, are you related in any shape or form to the poster above you?

LOL

I'll admit, this took me a second. I had no idea what you meant! But no, I'm not related to MaverickHunterX in any way other than hating them for stealing the username I would've picked had it not already been taken. ;)

Sorry, buddy. To be honest, I took this name cause X is my favorite of all the Megamen, and its my PSN name as well. If it makes you feel better, someone beat me to the Xbox Live/Nintendo Network (Wii u/3DS) versions...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Sorry, buddy. To be honest, I took this name cause X is my favorite of all the Megamen, and its my PSN name as well. If it makes you feel better, someone beat me to the Xbox Live/Nintendo Network (Wii u/3DS) versions...
waiting for the reply where he states that's him

HotHamBoy

Love it. Completely playable for me using joycons.

Had an online match and got a win by a sliver of health. Was down to last hit and I got it. Was really Laggy tho (not sure what region this RatKing was in)

Exactly the words one wants to read concerning the controls for a 2D fighting game.

The pro controller d-pad is a pain to play with,

God fucking damn it. I hoped I would at least be able to play fighters with the Pro when I get a Switch. Bad enough being a stick player, don't really want to buy another.

Have people really been playing these NeoGeo fighters with JoyCons and/or shit Pro Controller d-pads? And now $40 SF2? Hell, I have a hard enough time going from a stick to the Vita's D-Pad and that d-pad is pretty great for fighters.

What happened to you, Nintendo?

Lyriell

Are you in Aus or nz? We should play some games if you like. My friend code is 6125-1794-2514. I haven't seen where to play vs friends in the menu.

I'm using a pro controller, but I really can't recommend it. Because the d-pad can be pushed in when you roll your thumb from left to right, it will sometimes do an up input in between. I have a huge amount of input errors. Doing upkicks instead of sobat kicks etc. I've ordered an 8bitdo controller, so hopefully that works better. In the meantime I'm thinking of playing with the analogue stick... tragic

From AUS. I sent you a request :)

It feels a bit stiff to me. I have trouble pulling off Super motions on it. It felt like it was loosening up as I played.

But then again I am 25 years older and have arthritis in my hands. haha

Heard other people share the same sentiment so it's not just you. Thanks for adding your voice to the mix.

Too hard for me with the joycons, I'll come back one day when I have either a pro controller or joycons with a real dpad.
Beautiful though, looks so good in handheld mode.

Top Bottom