• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers [Switch] Confirmed

While I admire the UDON artwork for this game, two new characters isn't that big of a bonus. They could at least have the art team take some picks from their expansive cast (C.Viper, Alex, Dudley, Rose, etc) and 2D-ify them to expand the roster, but since it's Capcom I'm going to temper my expectations.

lupinko

While I admire the UDON artwork for this game, two new characters isn't that big of a bonus. They could at least have the art team take some picks from their expansive cast (C.Viper, Alex, Dudley, Rose, etc) and 2D-ify them to expand the roster, but since it's Capcom I'm going to temper my expectations.

Making SF2 sprites of Alpha, SF3 and SF4 characters is a lot of work in itself. Capcom is not in the business of sprites anymore.

Slight edits to existing Ryu and Ken is all you can get.

Just saw some gameplay of it from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSaRC2xTWO0

Man it sucks all/most have new voice actors. Even the announcer is different. I really liked Chun Li's old one VA.

I'm almost always a newer is better kind of person, but man, something about the new HD look looks off. The HUD looks weird to me for some reason, and the characters looks weird because they are some much brighter and colorful then everything else in the stages.
They look a lot more colored than Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urOF8eNQE6o
Also the music also sounds different. For some reason Ryu's stage music sounds really similar to a Naruto OST. lol

I think I'd maybe play this game in retro mode for nostalgia sake. Gotta say the trailer did make me want to play SF2 again. lol

JayEH

Just saw some gameplay of it from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSaRC2xTWO0

Man it sucks all/most have new voice actors. Even the announcer is different. I really liked Chun Li's old one VA.

I'm almost always a newer is better kind of person, but man, something about the new HD look looks off. The HUD looks weird to me for some reason, and the characters looks weird because they are some much brighter and colorful then everything else in the stages.
They look a lot more colored than Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urOF8eNQE6o
Also the music also sounds different. For some reason Ryu's stage music sounds really similar to a Naruto OST. lol

I think I'd maybe play this game in retro mode for nostalgia sake. Gotta say the trailer did make me want to play SF2 again. lol

It's only the newer voice actors in the hd mode from what I saw. Original vo and announcer in pixel mode.

I just noticed, the new announcer sounds like the same guy that voiced the narrator in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. This makes me want dramatic narration during the matches in HD mode. This would be the only reason to not play classic mode.

I just noticed, the new announcer sounds like the same guy that voiced the narrator in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. This makes me want dramatic narration during the matches in HD mode. This would be the only reason to not play classic mode.

and maybe close matches end in the Roundabout meme instead of slowmo like Tekken 7

random25

The more I watch the footage of the game, the more USF2 grows on me. Probably because I grew up being a SF2 junkie lol.

I'll be watching this game for more info.

Member 3ds launched with this?

Super_Street_Fighter_4_3D_cover.jpg

Member 3ds launched with this?

Super_Street_Fighter_4_3D_cover.jpg

and then arcade edition dropped a couple months later on console making it obsolete. Hell, AE was out in arcade a few months before this. They should have put in DLC for 3D Edition for console parity through USF4

at least this will probably be the last version of SF2 for a long time

Sapiens

I'm still not over the fact that they're digging up those awful UDON sprites again and charging us quadruple the price as the PS3/XB360 version.

AND I have to pay if I want to play online on top of that.....?

This is pretty shameful.

I'm still not over the fact that they're digging up those awful UDON sprites again and charging us quadruple the price as the PS3/XB360 version.

This is pretty shameful.
Awful? I thought the game looked great
It's crazy how much opinions differ depending where on the internet you're reading them. I wasn't happy with the change in the sound though. That's about it. Blanka/Sagst/Guile/ all day. Not a street fighter game to me with out them. (Feinlong is a bonus!)

This is pretty shameful.

At least they have the option for the original sprites. Would be nice if they let you mix and match and use filters on the old sprites and backgrounds.

The Udon sprites need a touch up. They look fine in stills but the animation looks janky af compared to the original animations.

Yes, the animation is atrocious.

I get what they were going for with the redraws (Turbo Revival character portraits), but the Udon staff aren't animators, are they? There's just so much weird stuff in there like Balrog's head shrinking is his idle stance.

UDON isn't in animation studio. I believe there were actually brought on board when whoever Capcom hired to redraw the sprites weren't on schedule.

There is weird stuff all over the game. I remember Dhalsim's victory pose where he dances from side to side had this sudden jump of shadow as they just flip the sprite on every cycle.

FSLink

Banned
Any word on this having Speed settings? Likely to pick this up but if there's no Turbo mode that may be a dealbreaker.

Kintaco

I really hope this is an option down the line, because if this system is going to have 2D games on it, its going to need a real D-pad.

sZhYaxY.jpg
The standard Joy Con should have just had a split D-pad like the dual shock. Having a functional D-pad and at the same time separate buttons.

While I don't fully agree with a 50 dollar price point, this is a completely updated version of SF2, and the MSRP of SFV is still . Comparing used prices is silly.
I think ports like this as well as late ports at launch should come with some form of special edition items to justify the full price. Maybe is Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U had a special edition statue with it more people wouldn't have minded posting full price for it.

SMK

The standard Joy Con should have just had a split D-pad like the dual shock. Having a functional D-pad and at the same time separate buttons.

I don't know why people keep on saying this. It's one piece of plastic and it would make for terrible buttons.

Raitaro

Making SF2 sprites of Alpha, SF3 and SF4 characters is a lot of work in itself. Capcom is not in the business of sprites anymore.

Slight edits to existing Ryu and Ken is all you can get.

Before the existence of Wild Guns: Reloaded I would have agreed with you but now I'm thinking that if that team can redraw pretty much their whole game with a team of (I believe) 3 people, including new stages, enemies, playable characters as well as some redrawn old ones to enable widescreen support, I don't think Capcom has a good excuse except stinginess or lack of expertise for not being able to draw one or two new characters as sprites as well as a new stage or two. IF they had wanted to, of course.

Yes, I'm sure it would be a significant amount of work but would it be an insurmountable amount of more work compared to all the work put into WG:R, i.e. a re-release of a cult classic game that I can't imagine had a big budget or any kind of guaranteed (mainstream) interest like SFII still has?

It seems a bit similar to Comcept and Inti Creates not being able or willing to do Mighty No. 9 with sprites because of budget reasons, multiplatform porting etc. but for them then to do things like Mighty Gunvolt at the same time using actual, decent sprites. Surely if they can to the latter, they could have done the former in sprites as well, again IF they had really wanted to.

Heck, I'm half expecting SNK to announce Garou 2 will be finished with sprites and released in 2017/18 after all their expressed interest in the title last year, which would make the request for some new SFII sprites seem even more doable imo.

Outrun

Can an SF guru help me understand all the hate for this? Is it just the price?

I really don't care for the UDON artwork (I tried to like it but just don't like the art style), but given that sprite version is included I think it's actually really interesting.

Assuming it plays accurately, In that mode it's essentially a chance to replay SSF2 with some new characters added. Violent Ken looks fun and the stage backdrop tweaks are cool.

Agree that $40 seems steep but I'm way more comfortable paying $40 for this than similar for SF5-- as crazy as that sounds-- since I prefer to play arcade mode / offline vs. mode.

I'd expect also since it's a Capcom game rather than a 1st party Nintendo game the price can actually drop pretty quickly. $40 is high but at $20-25 I'm definitely in.

It's the price predominantly, I think.

Before the existence of Wild Guns: Reloaded I would have agreed with you but If that team can redraw pretty much their whole game with a team of (I believe) 3 people, including new stages, enemies, playable characters as well as some redrawn old ones to enable widescreen support, I don't think Capcom has a good excuse except stinginess or lack of expertise for not being able to draw one or two new characters as sprites as well as a new stage or two. IF they had wanted to, of course.

Yes, I'm sure it would be a significant amount of work but would it be an insurmountable amount of more work compared to all the work put into WG:R, i.e. a re-release of a cult classic game that I can't imagine had a big budget or any kind of guaranteed (mainstream) interest like SFII still has?

It seems a bit similar to Comcept and Inti Creates not being able or willing to do Mighty No. 9 with sprites because of budget reasons, multiplatform porting etc. but for them then to do things like Mighty Gunvolt at the same time using actual, decent sprites. Surely if they can to the latter, they could have done the former in sprites as well, again IF they had really wanted to.

Heck, I'm half expecting SNK to announce Garou 2 will be finished with sprites and released in 2017/18 after all their expressed interest in the title last year, which would make the request for some new SFII sprites seem even more doable imo.

I used to do custom sprite work many years ago and it's a lot more involved than I even imagined when I started. That being said, though, they had some additional groundwork for stages already completed with Turbo Revival for the GBA. They would have to upscale them, but getting Ken's stage and the updated Hon-Maru would be pretty cool.

Pinky

Banned
It's the price predominantly, I think.

Yeah, I think the price is rubbing most the wrong way and I get it. However, being a SF2 junkie, I would happily pay $60 for this. If it was JUST HD Remix, I would pass. What sold me is the option to play SSF2 with the original pixel art. That and playing in portable mode is enticing. However, Nintendo needs to release a left joy-con that has a legit d-pad. That's my only hope/concern at the moment.

Also, forgive me if this has already been addressed, but has online play been confirmed for this?

Yep, online is confirmed.

Awesome! Thanks!

Top Bottom