• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon will feature BRAND NEW POKEMON

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
They look Ultra Beast-ish, which is not a bad thing, just not my cup of tea.
I just hope there's at least a handful of new Alolan Forms. Gen 7 has really broke the patterns, so fingers crossed.

As for typings, Im betting Fire/Fairy for Burst, and Rock/Ghost for Assembly.Then again, these are Ultra Beasts, so Burst could be Bug/Ice haha

This has been my favourite bit of info since the games reveal, but it's still not raising my hype levels. They just need to show that little bit more.

Frenzy-kun

Neo Member
Is it me or UltraBeasts are an excuse to make cheap pokemon?
Also, anyone else thinks that UB's will never be mentioned again after this generation is over? That makes me thing that these new UB are disposable content.

Theorymon

Also, anyone else thinks that UB's will never be mentioned again after this generation is over? That makes me thing that these new UB are disposable content.

To be honest, only one Ultra Beast has been banned from Smogon's 6vs6 rule set (Pheromosa), and believe it or not, Pheromosa actually struggles to even reach the top 50 in Battle Spot Singles (mainly because Mimikyu, Aegislash, and Mega Gengar are all very common).

Ultra Beasts are weird and totally break norms (such as Celesteela the Steel / Flying type getting Leech Seed), but I'd hesitate to call them cheap. They're more an excuse to make very strange Pokemon that don't have to follow the usual flavor rules like "You must be a Grass-type to learn Leech Seed".

Anoxida

For some reason I thought Ultra was like Black/white 2 and not Platinum etc. First Pokemon game I'm gonna skip in a long time. I can't stand the 3DS screen anymore.

True Fire

Do we think that they're going to announce even more new Pokemon besides these 2?

This is pretty unprecedented. It opens a world of possibilities for the franchise.

Now UPDATE PREVIOUS GAMES for forward compatibility!!!

Macka

I still can't stand the Ultra Beast designs. I just find them garish and overdone. I know they're supposed to be beings from another dimension, but fundamentally I never wanted that in my Pokemon games to begin with, it just feels totally at odds with the series' aesthetic to this point.
Couldn't agree more. On top of that, they're essentially legends (they're even considered as sub-legends in the games' coding) that can't be caught until the postgame. They add pretty much nothing to the main game playthrough.

The last thing Sun & Moon needed was more legends. Now we're at 20 for one generation.

Neiteio

Burst and Assembly both look awesome.

Now introduce another 50 Pokemon around that level of quality and this might be worth buying.

The way GF just dropped Megas after treating them as such a huge deal in Gen 6 doesn't make me feel confident that new UBs will be added after USM.

Razmos

Do we think that they're going to announce even more new Pokemon besides these 2?

This is pretty unprecedented. It opens a world of possibilities for the franchise.

I definitely think there will be more than two.

Probably a few more new Ultra Beasts and some more Alolan forms.

Almost definitely some new mythical Pokemon too

I think so, but I also think it'll be limited to Ultra Beasts and maybe a new Mythical.

BigEmil

Man these designs getting worse and less creative, stone wall face pokemon seen a lot of lookalikes everywhere

Toxi

Banned
To be honest, only one Ultra Beast has been banned from Smogon's 6vs6 rule set (Pheromosa), and believe it or not, Pheromosa actually struggles to even reach the top 50 in Battle Spot Singles (mainly because Mimikyu, Aegislash, and Mega Gengar are all very common).

Ultra Beasts are weird and totally break norms (such as Celesteela the Steel / Flying type getting Leech Seed), but I'd hesitate to call them cheap. They're more an excuse to make very strange Pokemon that don't have to follow the usual flavor rules like "You must be a Grass-type to learn Leech Seed".
Yeah, the Ultra Beasts are honestly some of the more interesting legendaries designed in recent years. They've got some extreme stat distributions, but their movepools tend to be somewhat limited and their dump stats actually are significant drawbacks.

If anything deserves the title of "cheap", it's the Tapus.

Zubz

Banned
Strange Souvenir?

It was a tiki-style souvenir in XY that you only ever got one of. The person that gave it to you teased they were from a new region, which is why people were calling Gen 7 being Hawaiian-inspired less than a week into Gen 6.

They're in Gen 7, too, but they literally serve no purpose because they do nothing mechanically, & they can only be bought so their purpose isn't to be sold like pearls or mushrooms. I bought, like, 10 thinking you needed them to catch the Tapu's...

But the key thing is that the item's description explicitly states they're modeled after a specific Pokèmon, but none of the new Mons looked like it. So either it was a Red Herring, or there're more unseen new Pokèmon in the Ultra games.

It's a really obscure quest item in X/Y. At the time, it referenced a new region, which turned out to be Alola of course.

It was a tiki-style souvenir in XY that you only ever got one of. The person that gave it to you teased they were from a new region, which is why people were calling Gen 7 being Hawaiian-inspired less than a week into Gen 6.

They're in Gen 7, too, but they literally serve no purpose because they do nothing mechanically, & they can only be bought so their purpose isn't to be sold like pearls or mushrooms. I bought, like, 10 thinking you needed them to catch the Tapu's...

But the key thing is that the item's description explicitly states they're modeled after a specific Pokèmon, but none of the new Mons looked like it. So either it was a Red Herring, or there're more unseen new Pokèmon in the Ultra games.

Ooooh! I love stuff like that.

Regiruler

Couldn't agree more. On top of that, they're essentially legends (they're even considered as sub-legends in the games' coding) that can't be caught until the postgame. They add pretty much nothing to the main game playthrough.

The last thing Sun & Moon needed was more legends. Now we're at 20 for one generation.

Sun & Moon's post game was already barren, it would have been pure shit without the Ultra Beasts.

The UBs save it from being the barren wasteland X and Y were.

Ha, so I wasn't the only one who did that.

I bought 4 of them and just ended up selling them off ceremoniously after catching each tapu.

So bizarre to see them add Pokemon half way through the generation. Very excited to see if we get others and if it's exclusive to new ultra beasts or not.

lupinko

The form names annoy me

Why are they the opposite?

Shouldn't it be Dawn Mane and Dusk Wings instead of Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings?

Is it because Necrozma is a prism? Eh

The English localization team is trying to be clever, Solgaleo + Necrozma = Dusk Mane because it's a Solar Eclipse. Likewise with Dawn Mane being a Lunar Eclipse.

Not

Banned
I feel Pokémoned out still-- I put like 80 hours or something into Sun-- and if I do dig my 3DS out of storage it'll be for Metroid

Also, I KNEW they were doing the Kyurem thing again with Necrozma! See ha ha I told you na na na na boooo

Smellycat

I don't play Pokemon, but based on the reactions in this thread, it seems like this is the first time a deluxe version of a Pokemon game introduces new Pokemon? o_O That seems kind of ridiculous to be honest.

Keinning

I don't play Pokemon, but based on the reactions in this thread, it seems like this is the first time a deluxe version of a Pokemon game introduces new Pokemon? o_O That seems kind of ridiculous to be honest.

Third iterations always had different pokemon avaliable for capture in them

But usually not entire new pokemon - just changed the encounters a bit

Guess with the advent of wifi trading and how easy it is for anyone with whatever version to get a full pokedex it just ain't that appealing to just change encounters anymore, gotta have something truly new

Yep. Before we would get form changes and moveset revisions, but not entirely new Pokemon. Looking back, this probably why vanilla SM didn't have a national dex in-game.

Yep. Before we would get form changes and moveset revisions, but not entirely new Pokemon. Looking back, this probably why vanilla SM didn't have a national dex in-game.

Highly doubt it because that feature got shifted over to Pokemon Bank. It's highly likely that we'll never see a National Dex from here on out because of that (otherwise, what was the point of moving the national dex in the first place?)

Zalman

Man, I love Sun and Moon, but I really don't like Ultra Beasts. I don't need more of them.

I'm surprised they aren't (seemingly) doing Alolan forms of Johto Pokémon as a way to promote the new VC releases. Especially since Go now has Gen 2 as well.

lupinko

Highly doubt it because that feature got shifted over to Pokemon Bank. It's highly likely that we'll never see a National Dex from here on out because of that (otherwise, what was the point of moving the national dex in the first place?)

Because GF likes trying new things? It could come back in a later game. Maybe even USM!

ajim

I think ultrabeasts are some of the worst additions to the Pokémon catalog ever. I know some love them, but I can't get into their concept and everything.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'm surprised they aren't (seemingly) doing Alolan forms of Johto Pokémon as a way to promote the new VC releases. Especially since Go now has Gen 2 as well.

Come back next week when the game are released, I am 100% confident that is when they will show off Johto Pokémon getting Alola form.

Because GF likes trying new things? It could come back in a later game. Maybe even USM!

You don't just try new things for the sake of doing new things. I think the reason behind shifting the National Dex to Bank was to make catching Pokemon way easier (301 vs. what 800?)

You don't just try new things for the sake of doing new things. I think the reason behind shifting the National Dex to Bank was to make catching Pokemon way easier (301 vs. what 800?)

Given that they refuse to bring back the Battle Frontier because it would be too difficult for the average player, this is likely the case.

ChrisD

It's not that it would be too difficult, it's that their research found a very small percentage bothered

It's a small percentage of people that play competitively, though, and look at everything they've improved there over the years. Platinum's Battle Frontier could have just been rehashed time and time again with an occasional tiny tweak/addition and it'd still be better than what we have now.

Top Bottom