• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon will feature BRAND NEW POKEMON

The Delta Episode is fucking trash. Go here to this place you've been already, go there, fly here, fly there, talk to this person, battle these weak trainers, repeatedly. Your reward for this is Rayquaza and Deoxys I guess? Thanks, I think I would have preferred exploring a version of the Sky Pillar that wasn't completely gutted on my own.

This is ignoring that Zinnia is terrible.

I remember getting shat on by people for saying that bc of the hype of ORAS back in 2014-2015.

Delta Episode was and is still a pitiful excuse of post-game content.

They have zero character, so I can see them being included whilst quietly forgotten by everybody except a few. There's some great designs in Gen 7, the UBs are not one of them.

486.gif

Forkball

I liked Zinnia but hated how they nerfed Sky Pillar. The tribulations you had to endure to catch the legendaries in RS was the best part.

UB ranking:

Kartana: Cool gimmick (origami samurai) and typing. I wish it was a normal Pokémon.
Celesteela: A creative take on Kaguya hime and it looks very alien and intimidating.
Xurkitree: A simple yet strange design. He's also useful in the Battle Tree.
Nihilego: For its role as the most important UB, it has a rather dull design. It's typing also doesn't make sense.
Guzzlord: I like the concept but it's way overdesigned. Two faces, countless teeth, crab pincirs AND arms... it's all so busy.
Pheremosa: Crosses the creepy Pokehuman line along with Mr. Mime and Jynx.
Buzzswole: See above.

Ydelnae

I would appreciate the UB a lot more if the had introduced their own typing (Ultra, Alien, whatever) so that in the end, they wouldn't just amount to normal Pokémon. They are going to stick out like a sore thumb in future generations, but I doubt GF makes any sort of long term thinking anymore..

Macka

Xurkitree fails at even being an Ultra Beast imo, let alone a Pokemon.

They're meant to be from another world and completely alien to regular Pokemon designs, and yet the Ultra Dimension coincidentally has creatures that closely resemble cable tied power cords with tails that look exactly like a plug?

GoldStarz

They're meant to be from another world and completely alien to regular Pokemon designs, and yet the Ultra Dimension coincidentally has creatures that closely resemble cable tied power cords with tails that look exactly like a plug?

This is the dumbest complaint yet, there are two human-bugs and a jellyfish, but the one you're gonna complain about making the least sense is the fucking electric Christmas tree because its body has electric plugs?

By that logic, mosquitoes aren't alien so Buzzwole is a failure of a design.

I think you're reading a bit too much into the "meaning" of designs.

I liked Zinnia but hated how they nerfed Sky Pillar. The tribulations you had to endure to catch the legendaries in RS was the best part.

The most degenerate thing about that post-game is not only how Sky Pillar was designed, but also how it fractured the timeline because reasons (LOL @ timeline, the old games connective tissue is about as strong as a strand of hair, plus there are only some references here and there). It is stupid and doesn't even justify itself.

People saw Xurkitree in the past and designed electrical cables after them.

Simple.

Macka

This is the dumbest complaint yet, there are two human-bugs and a jellyfish, but the one you're gonna complain about making the least sense is the fucking electric Christmas tree because its body has electric plugs?
By that logic, mosquitoes aren't alien so Buzzwole is a failure of a design.

I think you're reading a bit too much into the "meaning" of designs.
I still think Pheromosa, Nihilego and Buzzwole are 'alien' to traditional Pokemon designs though, even if they resemble bugs/jellyfish. It's like the difference between Pokemon and Digimon imo - completely different design philosophy there. Xurkitree has that same design philosophy, and yet is based on something man-made from our world. It just seems to be stretching the concept a bit, but my dislike for them may be influencing that view, I suppose.

People saw Xurkitree in the past and designed electrical cables after them.

Simple.
Eh, don't really buy that one. It makes sense for ice-creams being based on the Vanillish line in the Pokemon world and things like that, but electrical cables are designed the way they are because that's just the way they need to be in order to work.

GoldStarz

Like some pokemon(cough cough Delibird, Farfetch'd, and Stantler) need a Alolan form to make them somewhat competent.
I mean Farfetch'd being bad is literally the point, but either way, Alola Forms always have the same BST as the original Pokemon.

I still think Pheromosa, Nihilego and Buzzwole are 'alien' to traditional Pokemon designs though, even if they resemble bugs/jellyfish. It's like the difference between Pokemon and Digimon imo - completely different design philosophy there. Xurkitree has that same design philosophy, and yet is based on something man-made from our world. It just seems to be stretching the concept a bit, but my dislike for them may be influencing that view, I suppose.

Still doesn't explain why you'd single out Xurkitree when Celesteela and Kartana also exist.

Castile

Neo Member
Who went around wasting people you've battle during the main game so that she can accomplish her goals of saving something no one else knew exist. The world isn't save or destroyed by nice people. Within the story she was written in she accomplished her goal.

Except that she failed and had to rely on you, the player character, if she actively shared her info with others instead of stealing/breaking things people would have actually helped her.

Plus with her destroying the link cable if she didn't have you around she had just destroyed the only other known option to save everyone.

Also doesn't help that she knocks you down for no reason whatsoever other than to change the time of day.

Kyzer

Banned
Always gets a laugh from me when people critique designs based on their own personal made up opinions and interpretations and then chastise the artists for "failing" with their intended design and not coming up with the imaginary thing they did, like they had any clue what the artist was thinking or going for and what the design was "supposed" to be.

PS- Xurkitree is CABLE RICK BburrrrrppITCH

Big One

Banned
The UBs are literally Gamefreak's attempt at designing Digimon, lol. I love them. They're so over the top and are basically what Gen 1 devotees think Gen 3-7 look like..

brinstar

I would appreciate the UB a lot more if the had introduced their own typing (Ultra, Alien, whatever) so that in the end, they wouldn't just amount to normal Pokémon. They are going to stick out like a sore thumb in future generations, but I doubt GF makes any sort of long term thinking anymore..
there's Pokemon that are science experiments, virtual, aliens and literal deities, so I'm not sure why extradimensional lifeforms are suddenly too much

Not

Banned
God I fucking love Xurkitree. Ultra Beasts are amazing and beat out the vast majority of legendaries for me.

Xurkitree is one of the coolest fucking designs ever. Love the imagination that went into the UBs, it felt like the designers could finally bust loose.

Top Bottom