• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultrakill vs Doom Eternal

So Doom Eternal was probably my favorite game of 2020 aside from Half Life Alyx. I’ve just never played a game like that with the combo of all the mechanics and difficulty, the mental and reflex challenge, the focus on gameplay.

Ive never played Doom 2016 and don’t know if I could go backwards considering what some people have said about it. And now I’m hearing about this Ultrakill game - is that similar to Doom Eternal in how it plays?
Will it be coming to console in any form at some point? I’d prefer to play on my TV but I guess I could do the PC version.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I have yet to play it but man, those games deserve to be played with keyboard and mouse, and even if not you can plug your PC to the TV.

As for the game it looks a lot like DOOM Eternal, fast paced FPS shooter action. I advise you to check out DUSK and Amid Evil too.

Last edited:
I have yet to play it but man, those games deserve to be played with keyboard and mouse, and even if not you can plug your PC to the TV.

As for the game it looks a lot like DOOM Eternal, fast paced FPS shooter action. I advise you to check out DUSK and Amid Evil too.
The main thing I really enjoyed about Eternal was the movement options and speed - are these similar movement wise? Like with dash and stuff? I used to play with mouse and keyboard back in the unreal tournament/quake/half-life days but I just for some reason can’t get used to it anymore. I’m sure if I put the effort in I could, played half life 2 earlier in the year and kinda warmed up to it.

its just my pc is kinda far from my TV so it’s a bit of a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The main thing I really enjoyed about Eternal was the movement options and speed - are these similar movement wise? Like with dash and stuff? I used to play with mouse and keyboard back in the unreal tournament/quake/half-life days but I just for some reason can’t get used to it anymore. I’m sure if I put the effort in I could, played half life 2 earlier in the year and kinda warmed up to it.

its just my pc is kinda far from my TV so it’s a bit of a pain in the ass.
Amid Evil not so much, but in DUSK you can bunny hop just like in Quake. It also has some kind of dashing (the typical run + crouch) but its more limited.

If you enjoyed Eternal for the movement options I would say ULTRAKILL is the game for you, it looks fast paced as all hell.

Amid Evil not so much, but in DUSK you can bunny hop just like in Quake. It also has some kind of dashing (the typical run + crouch) but its more limited.

If you enjoyed Eternal for the movement options I would say ULTRAKILL is the game for you, it looks fast paced as all hell.
Amid Evil I just looked up - not quite the same thing but it actually looks pretty damn awesome as well. Thanks for the rec.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Ultrakill is more roomy and relies a lot on combos to gain a lot of damage.
Weapon's should be balanced pretty well however.

Gman did a review on the earlier Prelude version:

There are a lot of other Doom clones though, from Scathe to Prodeus.

I still think 2016 is the better game. Less cartoony art style, the story is not forced down your throat and the gameplay is more relaxed and free instead of Eternal's constant scrounging for ammo and armor or having to dispatch certain enemies a specific way. Less annoying platforming too.
Yeah I liked the multitasking like constant having to be on my toes aspect of it. Like I said never played a game quite like it.

There's a demo for Ultrakill. It was cool but kinda too focused on being difficult for my taste. It certainly feels like a game designed for kb/m but I'm sure it's playable with a controller too.

The Witness style puzzles in between the ultra violence is surprising but welcome 😂

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Ultrakill felt more like Quake to me. It’s definitely very fast paced but also my least favorite of the recent boomer shooters. It just didn’t feel good to play for some reason, not sure how to quantify it. Dusk, Wrath: Aeon of Ruin, Ion Fury and Amid Evil are all far superior IMO.

2016 Doom is still a good game but it’s HARD to go back to after Eternal. The combat is so basic and the lack of mobility feels odd. There will be a serious adjustment period if you go back to it so be prepared for that. It’s like you have to unlearn everything you know.

Last edited:
Ultrakill felt more like Quake to me. It’s definitely very fast paced but also my least favorite of the recent boomer shooters. It just didn’t feel good to play for some reason, not sure how to quantify it. Dusk, Wrath: Aeon of Ruin, Ion Fury and Amid Evil are all far superior IMO.

2016 Doom is still a good game but it’s HARD to go back to after Eternal. The combat is so basic and the lack of mobility feels odd. There will be a serious adjustment period if you go back to it so be prepared for that. It’s like you have to unlearn everything you know.
Yeah I’m trying to play it now and I’m having quite a bit of trouble getting into it

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
ULTRAKILL is my game of the year.

I've linked a video and timestamped it just to that part so you don't need to watch the whole thing. But it sums up my thoughts.

And if you don't have time to watch a video, the gist is: It has been called DEVIL MAY QUAKE and VANQUISH FPS...I think that is right. It's pure adrenaline, I've never played a game like it, and it's nothing like DUSK or AMID EVIL (both of which I ADORED). This is joyful chaos put into game form.

No it's very different from Doom Eternal outside of having a dash function and high difficulty. Great game though and can't wait to play the rest of it once it's finished.

Also tangentially related but anyone interested in something along of the lines of classic Doom should give Prodeus a go.

ULTRAKILL is my game of the year.

I've linked a video and timestamped it just to that part so you don't need to watch the whole thing. But it sums up my thoughts.

And if you don't have time to watch a video, the gist is: It has been called DEVIL MAY QUAKE and VANQUISH FPS...I think that is right. It's pure adrenaline, I've never played a game like it, and it's nothing like DUSK or AMID EVIL (both of which I ADORED). This is joyful chaos put into game form.

Ok that description in the video is basically how I felt about Doom Eternal exactly. Never played DMC too much or vanquish tho so I don’t quite know what that means. I know people were saying the devil may cry 3 thing about Eternal so this all sounds in line with what I’m looking for.
No it's very different from Doom Eternal outside of having a dash function and high difficulty. Great game though and can't wait to play the rest of it once it's finished.

Also tangentially related but anyone interested in something along of the lines of classic Doom should give Prodeus a go.
Ok so there is a dash function - which is basically what I want the most. How is it different? Just the lack of resource stuff? i know it’s still in early access but I’m fine with that as long as it’s fun to play.
You owe to to yourself to play Doom 2016, it's aged very well and is a joy to play.
I’m honestly trying to play it currently and I’m struggling with the beginning - I’m also pretty sure my game is bugged out is it supposed to be super dark? Like the characters the gun in front of me is almost black currently.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Doom Eternal my top game of 2020

Ultrakill might have the same similar gameplay but the graphics looks like ass, I couldn't sustain playing something that looks like that for long. I don't like indie games in general.

Ok so there is a dash function - which is basically what I want the most. How is it different? Just the lack of resource stuff? i know it’s still in early access but I’m fine with that as long as it’s fun to play.

It's more of an arcade game and the levels, enemies (It's not one of those games with a bunch of Doom equivalents) and how you deal with mobs is very different, especially due to the health mechanic. Airborne/jumping gameplay is much more emphasized in Ultra as well. It's also not as restrictive as Eternal though you'll still need to master stuff the punch parry/repel (Feels great though) and weapon swithcing for particular enemies. It really only feels similar in that hectic way where you're speeding all over an area plugging an assload of enemies while being chased by an assload more.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
It's more of an arcade game and the levels, enemies (It's not one of those games with a bunch of Doom equivalents) and how you deal with mobs is very different, especially due to the health mechanic. Airborne/jumping gameplay is much more emphasized in Ultra as well. It's also not as restrictive as Eternal though you'll still need to master stuff the punch parry/repel (Feels great though) and weapon swithcing for particular enemies. It really only feels similar in that hectic way where you're speeding all over an area plugging an assload of enemies while being chased by an assload more.

Agree. The sense of being on the VERY EDGE of losing control is very high in this game. And if you can settle in to it, it's wonderful.

Also, the health mechanic is simply the blood of the enemy. So if you are getting low you need to get close to a bad guy- preferably with a weapon that does serious damage- and nail them. That causes the blood to splash on you and heal you. A total rush.

And the SLIDING is amazing! You get more damage the longer you slide so you get into these crazy, frenzied paced moments where you are sliding all over trying to build up power to then race into the enemy and fire at the last second (big damage and big blood spill for new health).

Only thing I don't like is some levels are best solved via sliding and some are best solved via jumping and there's simply no comfortable keyboard set up for this. So I tend to adjust the key binding for every section of a map, based on what the challenge is. Controller solves this but aiming in this game with a controller is madness. Only worth trying w/a controller to recognize how shit it is.

Sounds awesome to me - arcadey type gameplay is kinda where my tastes are currently for some reason. Like the idea of space and airborne stuff being emphasized (which Is part of what I loved about Eternal, so even more of that is great). The graphics thing is not an issue as I basically forget about graphics within an hour of playing a game usually.

Agree. The sense of being on the VERY EDGE of losing control is very high in this game. And if you can settle in to it, it's wonderful.

Also, the health mechanic is simply the blood of the enemy. So if you are getting low you need to get close to a bad guy- preferably with a weapon that does serious damage- and nail them. That causes the blood to splash on you and heal you. A total rush.

And the SLIDING is amazing! You get more damage the longer you slide so you get into these crazy, frenzied paced moments where you are sliding all over trying to build up power to then race into the enemy and fire at the last second (big damage and big blood spill for new health).

Only thing I don't like is some levels are best solved via sliding and some are best solved via jumping and there's simply no comfortable keyboard set up for this. So I tend to adjust the key binding for every section of a map, based on what the challenge is. Controller solves this but aiming in this game with a controller is madness. Only worth trying w/a controller to recognize how shit it is.
Oh it has a slide function as well? That’s even better for me. The more movement stuff the better. Although intimidating to jump into that with a mouse/keyboard combo when I haven’t used it in a while. The health mechanic sounds great with the combo stuff - anything that doesn’t slow down the gameplay and adds that level of sort of quick decision making on how to approach an encounter.

TintoConCasera

Just tried the demo. Holy fuck this game is good! Loved the action and the music, which makes it feel even more fast paced than how it already is.

The controls are tight too, although they take a little bit of time to get used to. Very cool overall, will purchase once it's out of Early Access.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
I’m honestly trying to play it currently and I’m struggling with the beginning - I’m also pretty sure my game is bugged out is it supposed to be super dark? Like the characters the gun in front of me is almost black currently.
That doesn't sound right, try raising the gamma in the options, assuming it has that option (it's been a while).

Justin9mm

You owe to to yourself to play Doom 2016, it's aged very well and is a joy to play.
I second this.. As someone who also played Doom Eternal first before Doom 2016, going back to play Doom 2016 was enjoyable because it was more 'Doom' and its actually easier than Eternal so it was good to be able to slack off a bit now that you have become a seasoned badass Doom Slayer from Eternal.

Top Bottom