• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UMVC3: Phoenix Wright and Nova Revealed!

Karsticles said:
I love the fighting game community banning SFxT gems when Seth Killian said they're meant for tournament play.

How is this different from how fighting game elitists mock Smash Bros players for banning items? The irony!
That shit had me cracking up like a motherfucker lol.

The irony is delicious.

GatorBait

Ok, now I want this to be one of Spider-Man's alternate colors:

2043990-scarspider2012001_usss_super.png

Skilletor

Karsticles said:
I love the fighting game community banning SFxT gems when Seth Killian said they're meant for tournament play.

How is this different from how fighting game elitists mock Smash Bros players for banning items? The irony!

Seth Killian is PR guy first. I don't trust anything he says when it comes to a game's balance. He works for Capcom.

I don't play smash bros, but I know that a gem that gives you autoblocking ability or the ability to tech throws shouldn't be allowed in a competitive environment.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The pre-order exclusive gems flies in the face of making things tourney scene friendly though, if they're truly exclusive/not unlockable in-game.

Snakeyes

Skilletor said:
I don't play smash bros, but I know that a gem that gives you autoblocking ability or the ability to tech throws shouldn't be allowed in a competitive environment.

The effect lasts 8 seconds.

Dahbomb said:
Then why is SSF4AE 2/3 as well? Hell why not just make MVC3 1 match?

How is this in favor of the loser? Longer sets benefit better players and reduces chances of good players being "randomed" out. There are so many times where matches of MVC3 in between 2 good players are decided on the last match of a 3/5. The classical MarlinPie vs Combofiend match wouldn't have been a dud set if it wasn't 3/5.

HELL... if it wasn't for 3/5 there wouldn't be a BIONIC ARM. Just let that sink for a bit...
*shrug* I don't think we're gonna agree on this one. I think making sets 3/5 for the sake of "figuring people out" is stupid, and I really hope it doesn't come to pass. It's altering the format for the hell of it. I don't recall Marvel 2 being called out on having 2/3, but whatever.

Dahbomb

Is there REALLY an auto block gem in SFxTekken?

Is there some sort of list of the gem abilities and buffs? I wonder if there is a gem that passively increases your super meter or something.

*shrug* I don't think we're gonna agree on this one. I think making sets 3/5 for the sake of "figuring people out" is stupid, and I really hope it doesn't come to pass. It's altering the format for the hell of it. I don't recall Marvel 2 being called out on having 2/3, but whatever.
I don't know if you have been to a MVC3 tournament or not... but it's brutal even for someone who knows what they are doing. This isn't MVC2 where the overall damage, non-existence of XF, less damage on assist punish and no DHC glitch made games last almost as much as SF4 2/3 matches. If someone has a new tech/mix up that you have never seen before, you cannot figure it out within a 1 match time frame because you will already be dead because he will kill your point character with that 1 mix up, kill your 2nd with the meter built + LVL3 hyper and kill your final character with XF.

I have been randomed out by Phoenix players much worse than I in this 2/3 set up but when I play them in longer sets I dominate them. I have also won a few locals against players who are better than me. This isn't really a case of me being salty or whatever... there IS a precedence for this format change hence the call for it at SRK.

Maybe with the changes in UMVC3 there will not be a need for 3/5.

Duelist

Karsticles said:

Yes, because the banning of gems is the equivalent of this. The hyperboly!

ZeroCDR

Nils said:
Nice. Could have gotten a Third Strike code yesterday but I didn't have an account and figured people would get the answer in a few seconds anyway. Turns out it took them a solid 5 minutes before one guy got it right.

That's really surprising, do you remember the question? They asked us what part of Mendez opens a door in RE4 lol

Karsticles said:

Can you unlock all the gems in-game though? It sounded like most are pre-order bonuses, which usually leads to having to buy the ones you couldn't get in-store.

It's probably because I'm a former Smash player and a Dissidia player, but the whole gem-banning thing sounds completely over-the-top. I get why they're doing it, obviously, but the backlash is hilarious.

Skilletor

Snakeyes said:
The effect lasts 8 seconds.

So? It shouldn't exist. Period. That's my opinion on the matter. That's 8 seconds that you can not worry about being thrown or mixups. That takes away options for 8 seconds.

that's a long time in a fighting game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Whoa.. whoa whoa.. wtf is going on?

Aemocvhell Nate Brown
I'm at the #UMvC3 panel and @sethkillian is playing around on his phone lolol
50 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

KreativeMente GT: Kreative Mente
New Heroes and Herald Mode in #UMVC3 #NYCC
34 minutes ago

kreativeGAMING Kreative
#UMVC3 #NYCC there's Parrying now!
32 minutes ago

#UMVC3 #NYCC looks like a gem system for marvel
32 minutes ago

New opening scene is sick too. #UMVC3 #NYCC
28 minutes ago

#UMVC3 #NYCC there's Parrying now!
10 minutes ago

WHAT
THE
FUCK

Fucking stupid. 3 Modes that instantly spring to mind as a better idea than playing as galactus

1) no x factor mode
2) double or triple character select mode
3) 1 character mode with toggleble x-factor

What a waste of time. Hell I would of accepted event mode again, just make it offline.

Edit: PARRYING?

That alone makes Vergil and Dante my personal S tier...imagine if they got their parry animations from DMC3.....

NB: I'm not saying they are the best in the game, just the best for me.

Apparently UMvC3's "Heroes and Heralds" mode lets you collect cards that power up your characters with special abilities and stuff(even including invincibility). I think it's exclusive to the mode and not online player stuff.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
PikaZeroX said:
That's really surprising, do you remember the question? They asked us what part of Mendez opens a door in RE4 lol

The question was where did Spider-Man get the symbiote suit in the comics. The answer was Battle World, but people kept saying stuff like the Clocktower, the Bellfry, the Moon, from the Beyonder, from a space shuttle etc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SolarPowered said:
Apparently UMvC3's "Heroes and Heralds" mode lets you collect cards that power up your characters with special abilities and stuff(even including invincibility). I think it's exclusive to the mode and not online player stuff.
Is this what they're talking about on stream? I just tuned in and I'm so confused cause I tuned in half-way through.

So confusing about cards and stuff.

Seth Killian is PR guy first. I don't trust anything he says when it comes to a game's balance. He works for Capcom.
He's also a competitive gamer at heart.

That autoblock costs a full bar of meter. I think most pros would rather have a strong passive effect and trust their ability to block.

Yes, because the banning of gems is the equivalent of this. The hyperboly!
Half of what you sent me is rules about time and round lengths...that's general for fighting games.

GatorBait said:
Ok, now I want this to be one of Spider-Man's alternate colors:

2043990-scarspider2012001_usss_super.png

Where is this from? Baddest spidey costume ever...

Side note: I'm so glad marvel are starting to really take risks with spiderman. It used to annoy me no end that this guy was a genius but yet didn't have a costume that reflected his intellect.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I already know I'm going to be salty as hell, when I see a Cable card that says AVHB. >:/

Sounds similar to Capcom X Namco or something similar.

Dahbomb

I repeat if it wasn't clear before....

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?????
A totally new way to play the game. Add abilities using cards, ala Gems or System Direction. Abilities include Parry, Assist Super Armor, XFactor Blowback, Dizzying Attacks, Projectile Invincibility, Special cancels into Specials, Invisibility, etc. Over 100 cards, equip 3 at once, 1.12 million total combinations.

Mode playable online. Battle online as clans in one-week events. Earn cards playing offline. Mode is free DLC post-launch. Howard the Duck is a card. We'd like to speculate that Vita players will be able to trade cards, since "additional Vita functionality" was teased but not announced.

All DLC shared across PS3, Vita.

Q: DLC characters?
A: No plans now.

Q: Next event/reveal?
A: Before too long.

Q: Is Mega Man poster a troll?
A: Yes.

Q: Why remove blocking during airdashes?
A: Makes zoning more effective. You have to commit to airdashes now.

Q: New endings for old characters?
A: A few have been changed, many are the same.

Q: Is Galactus playable?

Yeah so this is the mode that Nitsuma was excited about... it gets a "MEH" out of me. Although I will totally whore out a Sparda card in arcade mode or whatever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
cbake76 Chris Baker
Panels complete. The electricity in the #UMvC3 one was beyond words. Thank you all for being so appreciative.

That iplaywinner transcript has a lot of info in it, you should've quoted the actual informative bits:

A totally new way to play the game. Add abilities using cards, ala Gems or System Direction. Abilities include Parry, Assist Super Armor, XFactor Blowback, Dizzying Attacks, Projectile Invincibility, Special cancels into Specials, Invisibility, etc. Over 100 cards, equip 3 at once, 1.12 million total combinations.

Mode playable online. Battle online as clans in one-week events. Earn cards playing offline. Mode is free DLC post-launch. Howard the Duck is a card. We'd like to speculate that Vita players will be able to trade cards, since "additional Vita functionality" was teased but not announced.

All DLC shared across PS3, Vita.

Q: DLC characters?
A: No plans now.

Q: Next event/reveal?
A: Before too long.

Q: Is Mega Man poster a troll?

Q: Why remove blocking during airdashes?
A: Makes zoning more effective. You have to commit to airdashes now.

Q: New endings for old characters?
A: A few have been changed, many are the same.

Q: Is Galactus playable?

Duelist

Karsticles said:
Half of what you sent me is rules about time and round lengths...that's general for fighting games.

What about the other half directed toward game mechanics of the game itself (items banned, stages banned or considered counterpick, abuse of character specials that are in the game (lol))?

Not to rant about SSB too much, but the point I'm trying to make is that comparing this tidbit of news about banning gems and all of that is really stretching it.

GatorBait

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:

Side note: I'm so glad marvel are starting to really take risks with spiderman. It used to annoy me no end that this guy was a genius but yet didn't have a costume that reflected his intellect.
Apparently, it is the new Scarlet Spider costume. He gets rid of the hoody and gets his own mini(?)-series in 2012.

2043996-scarlet_spider_super.jpeg

2043939-scarspider2011001_var_super.jpg

Frantic

Dahbomb said:
WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE!!!!!
IT'S MAHVEL BABY!

Honestly, if it's a seperate mode, I think it could be a hell of a lot of fun. Obviously not for purists, but for dicking around, I can see it being fun. I want to be able to take that Specials into Specials card into training mode so I can create some crazy combos, lol.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:

Upcoming book. The character behind it is probably known if you're following the current Spider-Island arc but it's a pretty big spoiler.

Snakeyes

Skilletor said:
So? It shouldn't exist. Period. That's my opinion on the matter. That's 8 seconds that you can not worry about being thrown or mixups. That takes away options for 8 seconds.

that's a long time in a fighting game.

A throw tech itself lasts about 2 seconds, same for your average block string. Those kind of buffs will only be useful for fights between newbies.

Top Bottom