• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves new pics

J-Rzez

People are still trying to pull the bullshots claim, with Uncharted 2, made by ND? Really? As if the first one didn't serve up a pipping hot serving of crow to the people that cried bullshot when pics hit from that. Is the AA a touch more than we'll see in final game sure, but that's common with the sizing of shots done for magazine prints, and then resized. Bullshots are what EA/Ubi/Activision used to throw around.

But just think, this game is months away yet. It's only going to get better looking as time goes on. It's a hell of a year already projected with KZ2, Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, and of course GoW3 will look killer, wonder what else is going to get dropped on us as a surprise at the upcoming conferences and shows.

John_B

Naughty Dog unlocked the 8th core!

I have to refuse the quality of the textures before I see the game running on my own setup at home.

If E3 is doing a game of the show award this year, then they already know who to give it to.

I pray they don't totally *@#%@ the story up this time with the lame over-used, ZOMBIES!!@ theme again 3/4 through the game.

And please have a real boss fight this time, or at least don't bother.

DemDereNads said:
I pray they don't totally *@#%@ the story up this time with the lame over-used,
ZOMBIES!!@ theme again 3/4 through the game.

And please have a real boss fight this time, or at least don't bother.

Fixed for the unknowing gamers.

What do you mean screw up the story? Some people didn't like the way it changed the dynamic of the gameplay. As for the story, the whole entire blasted set-up lead to something weird. Like how about
50+ year old dead bodies that didn't completely decompose?

lostxii

HomerSimpson-Man said:

What do you mean screw up the story? Some people didn't like the way it changed the dynamic of the gameplay. As for the story, the whole entire blasted set-up lead to something weird. Like how about

I don't remember finding this out in the game, but apparently it wasn't as unexplained as I thought.

Part of that is that there are mystical elements to the world that don't necessarily have a supernatural explanation. We really try to walk that X-Files line where there could be a real world explanation. So I don't know if we made the point clear enough in the first game. But the idea was that there was this virus trapped inside that sarcophagus, or that mummy, for thousands of years. It was released, and of course these people have no immunities built up to this virus and it has some really nasty effects.

People that survived the effects inbred and they created those creatures that we saw in the first game. That was the more scientific explanation as opposed to the mystical one, that they are just demons.

lostxii said:
I don't remember finding this out in the game, but apparently it wasn't as unexplained as I thought.

Part of that is that there are mystical elements to the world that don't necessarily have a supernatural explanation. We really try to walk that X-Files line where there could be a real world explanation. So I don't know if we made the point clear enough in the first game. But the idea was that there was this virus trapped inside that sarcophagus, or that mummy, for thousands of years. It was released, and of course these people have no immunities built up to this virus and it has some really nasty effects.

People that survived the effects inbred and they created those creatures that we saw in the first game. That was the more scientific explanation as opposed to the mystical one, that they are just demons.

Hey, that's pretty damn good. I like that one. Just enough of each. Either way one of the appeals of the game was that it has this modern Indiana vibe of the unknown with ancient relics and mysteries. Can't wait to see what Among Thieves has cooked up.

HomerSimpson-Man said:

I was in love with the game at first... Story was cool, hey I'm on a treasure hunt! - Combat was excellent, and I liked the platform elements mixed in. Then out of left field comes these damn zombies and just start slaughtering characters I was semi-interested in.

Pretty much ruined the game for me. I let my friend finish the game while I was still in disbelief they went in that direction with the story.

dalin80

Banned
lostxii said:
2mobn1v.jpg

princess diana???

wtf.

DemDereNads said:
I was in love with the game at first... Story was cool, hey I'm on a treasure hunt! - Combat was excellent, and I liked the platform elements mixed in. Then out of left field comes these damn zombies and just start slaughtering characters I was semi-interested in.

Pretty much ruined the game for me. I let my friend finish the game while I was still in disbelief they went in that direction with the story.

there are so many reasons the plot 'twist' (if you could call it that - there were plenty of subtle hints) was implemented incredibly well:

- change in gameplay; by the stage they come along you're just ready for a slight change of pace, action that's a bit more hectic. it shows off the combat engine being flexible enough to do run-and-gun play just as well as careful, focused aiming

- development of nate; it turns a quest for riches into a mission to stop the world from a deadly virus. it's the key hinge for nate's character in the game, and gives the entire story a much greater meaning. had it been just a treasure all along, what would we learn? we'd know nothing; nate's greed would be paramount, francis drake's own deeds would have remained just as ignoble as nate suspected, and the game would have ended in a mire of shame.

- plot; come on, when you look at pulp, you want a wicked, kickarse crazy plot. how much more cool is a backstory of nazis researching ancient incan magic to create a weapon of war? it's awesome

- genre itself; everyone knows pulp adventures have elements of the supernatural, so why fight it? didn't you watch your indiana jones? for anyone who's aware of the influences, the supernatural rearing its head could have been no less expected than the romantic sub-plot, the cocky lead character or the gunfights

lots of people talk about it like well it would have been better without the you know what but all i see is utterly cohesive storytelling, from start to finish. this isn't your ordinary "oh, a twist!" - it's the only place it ever could have gone

Sidzed2

bsjezz said:
there are so many reasons the plot 'twist' (if you could call it that - there were plenty of subtle hints) was implemented incredibly well:

- change in gameplay; by the stage they come along you're just ready for a slight change of pace, action that's a bit more hectic. it shows off the combat engine being flexible enough to do run-and-gun play just as well as careful, focused aiming

- development of nate; it turns a quest for riches into a mission to stop the world from a deadly virus. it's the key hinge for nate's character in the game, and gives the entire story a much greater meaning. had it been just a treasure all along, what would we learn? we'd know nothing; nate's greed would be paramount, francis drake's own deeds would have remained just as ignoble as nate suspected, and the game would have ended in a mire of shame.

- plot; come on, when you look at pulp, you want a wicked, kickarse crazy plot. how much more cool is a backstory of nazis researching ancient incan magic to create a weapon of war? it's awesome

- genre itself; everyone knows pulp adventures have elements of the supernatural, so why fight it? didn't you watch your indiana jones? for anyone who's aware of the influences, the supernatural rearing its head could have been no less expected than the romantic sub-plot, the cocky lead character or the gunfights

lots of people talk about it like well it would have been better without the you know what but all i see is utterly cohesive storytelling, from start to finish. this isn't your ordinary "oh, a twist!" - it's the only place it ever could have gone

You couldn't be more right, sonnyjim.

In addition, the story was setting up the 'curse' from the beginning.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
lostxii said:

That's exactly the kind of thing I got from the game as well. I mean, yes, it never tells you that explicitely, but you see that there's some kind of
bioagent involved into the whole thing, and how Navarro wants to sell it
. It's in fact much less "out there" than the ending of the first Indy movie for example.

Then again, since they never tell you that explicitly, you are left to chose if you want to think if it's that, or some kind of magic/curse.

Lord Error said:
That's exactly the kind of thing I got from the game as well. I mean, yes, it never tells you that explicitely, but you see that there's some kind of
bioagent involved into the whole thing, and how Navarro wants to sell it
. It's in fact much less "out there" than the ending of the first Indy movie for example.

Then again, since they never tell you that explicitly, you are left to chose if you want to think if it's that, or some kind of magic/curse.

Dittos. Had a similar line of thought in the other thread awhile back.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14019467&postcount=521

It may not have been the most inventive riff on pulp adventure, but I think the storytelling was pretty tightly woven. And as far as dialog and characterization goes its about as well executed as anything this gen.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
bsjezz said:

Great post :).

DemDereNads said:
I don't really get how the supernatural elements ruined the game for so many from a story perspective. The real problem with the twist is what it did to the gameplay. The story was fine and the supernatural stuff fit within the Indiana Jones-like world (better than aliens, anyway). The new enemy type broke the slow, fairly tactical gunplay and pushed it in a more frantic run-and-gun direction which the game was far less successful at executing. Naughty Dog knows this, and I'm positive they won't make the same mistake again. The gunplay will be great.

What I personally want to see them work on is the puzzles and platforming, which in my eyes were the weakest parts of the original. The platforming in the first basically "point your analog stick in the right direction to guide Nathan across the developer's linear path of handholds". Not very interesting. I don't want just one path through that bombed out building to get the drop on those soldiers. Numerous possible paths would really open up strategy and help with replay value. As for the puzzles, you could barely consider them such in the original. You just opened up your journal and got the solution, not a clue. I want a little more subtly, with them tossing in some hints if you aren't making progress after X number of minutes. I remember an interview a while back where they talked about dumbing down the puzzles in the original after focus testing showed that "average Joe" couldn't wrap his head around them, but surely there is some way to have clever puzzles while still preventing dumber/impatient gamers from getting stuck.

a Master Ninja said:
I don't really get how the supernatural elements ruined the game for so many from a story perspective. The real problem with the twist is what it did to the gameplay. The story was fine and the supernatural stuff fit within the Indiana Jones-like world (better than aliens, anyway). The new enemy type broke the slow, fairly tactical gunplay and pushed it in a more frantic run-and-gun direction which the game was far less successful at executing. Naughty Dog knows this, and I'm positive they won't make the same mistake again. The gunplay will be great.

What I personally want to see them work on is the puzzles and platforming, which in my eyes were the weakest parts of the original. The platforming in the first basically "point your analog stick in the right direction to guide Nathan across the developer's linear path of handholds". Not very interesting. I don't want just one path through that bombed out building to get the drop on those soldiers. Numerous possible paths would really open up strategy and help with replay value. As for the puzzles, you could barely consider them such in the original. You just opened up your journal and got the solution, not a clue. I want a little more subtly, with them tossing in some hints if you aren't making progress after X number of minutes. I remember an interview a while back where they talked about dumbing down the puzzles in the original after focus testing showed that "average Joe" couldn't wrap his head around them, but surely there is some way to have clever puzzles while still preventing dumber/impatient gamers from getting stuck.

Good post, I agree with you. I just recently replayed through Uncharted and the plot twist does not ruin anything from a storyline perspective, but it does alter the gameplay for the worse. Thats also a valid point about the journal. You basically just look at it and instantly have the "puzzle" worked out. They have the whole "hit L2" for hint system in so I imagine that would cover the dullards so in part 2 they can actually have puzzles you figure out on your own. I hope they have more weapons in the 2nd as well, gun selection was limited in the first game, imo.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
a Master Ninja said:
What I personally want to see them work on is the puzzles and platforming, which in my eyes were the weakest parts of the original.
While platforming sequences were indeed linear, you have to keep in mind that you could use the platforming moveset anytime in the game, during any shootout, etc. I think that was technically more valuable addition to a game than more elaborate purely-platforming sequences that would get old on repeat plays no matter how good they are. I also think the scary section of the game provided a nice break in terms of shooting as it encouraged you to shoot from the hip more than using aiming, and later on to mix both where you faced both types of enemies.

On the other hand, I agree with your puzzle complaint entirely. I wish they keep the diary of some kind in the sequel, but make it provide hints, not solutions. Make a puzzle difficulty selectable in the options if need so. This would be so simple to execute - different puzzle difficulty setting would just change the pictures that show up in the diary during the game. Easy setting would provide 'solution' pictures like in the first game, Hard setting would provide less obvious clues.

LiK said:
nah, it's Elika's sister
That's funny, because Elika is like a carbon copy (or at least they tried to make her that) of Elena :\ I think what they're going for with this girl won't be like that at all.

Zeliard

a Master Ninja said:

I agree with every single thing you've written here.

This interview explains why the platforming was like that in the first game.

http://www.*******.com/2009/02/04/*******-interview-talking-uncharted-2-with-naughty-dogs-evan-w/

"The climbing mechanics that we saw seemed to be closer to something like Assassin's Creed, where there is no set path. That's new for this game, right?

We wanted to get that into the first Uncharted. It was something that we didn't have time to develop. So it was one of the very first things that we started in on after we wrapped up the first game.

"There is a lot of pressure now that we are kind of competing against ourselves."
It was important for us because that again just allows that more authentic way of moving across a wall. It got a little bit jumpy with a lot of the dyno jumps in the first game when he is jumping from handhold to handhold. Now it allows him to explore the environment in a much more natural way."

Edit: didn't know that website was banned.

you guys completely fail to understand the journal. the journal was the puzzle; it was the 'code' that when combined with the environment, would reveal the solution. it's true that the journal's 'codes' were never remotely challenging, but without it there wouldn't have been puzzles at all; there would have been completely arbitrary requirements for moving on to the next stage. keep the journal, i say, just notch up the decyphering difficulty a little further than kindergarden level

Raistlin

John_B said:
I have to refuse the quality of the textures before I see the game running on my own setup at home.

* Look at the textures in the first game

* This is ND's 2nd gen engine

* Look at ND's history

Why is there ANY question?

Twix

I can’t stop staring at these picture. the textures quality is in a whole different league compared to other games this generation. Bravo Naughty Dog.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Onix said:
The more I look at this, the more it looks less like a game, and more like Polar Express.
Except, due to stylization, the characters here don't look like living zombies :p I hated that about PE.

Oh, and bsjezz, that was an excellent post about the plot twist breakdown.

The very full day for our guests started off with getting them up to speed on UNCHARTED 2, covering background info on story, gameplay and technology such as:

The historical mystery surrounding Marco Polo and his lost fleet, which serves as the foundation for our story.

What’s happened to Drake, since it’s pretty obvious he’s a bit scruffier, down on his luck and he’s definitely running with way shadier people than before.

Introducing everyone to Chloe Frazer, a sexy and impulsive Australian who is just this side of unpredictable and dangerous, not to mention Drake’s new partner and romantic interest – can you blame him?

Adding in what we’re calling “action-stealth” to give you the choice to go in guns blazing or take out a few adversaries unnoticed before engaging the rest of them.

Blending together our climbing and shooting into what we call “traversal gunplay” so you can now be in gun combat in the middle of climbing, swinging on a rope, hanging from a ledge or sign…you can shoot pretty much from anywhere, anytime you want.

All the cool things the Naughty Dog Engine 2.0 can do now, like pushing way more polygons than before, an overhaul of lighting and shadowing, complex enemy A.I., snow shaders and subsurface scattering, fur shading, new physics engine, audio obstruction occlusion…the list goes on and on and on.

jtowzm.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...ong-thieves-new-details-and-coverage-roundup/

Rocwell

jtowzm.jpg

I love all the details in the environments, I think I see one of those electrical outlet nightlights next to that basket. That microwave just seems totally out of place though.

Are microwave ovens really that common in Nepal/Tibet/wherever this is supposed to take place? Everything else in there is old and decrepit but that microwave is practically shining and new! :lol

Rocwell said:
jtowzm.jpg

I love all the details in the environments, I think I see one of those electrical outlet nightlights next to that basket. That microwave just seems totally out of place though.

Are microwave ovens really that common in Nepal/Tibet/wherever this is supposed to take place? Everything else in there is old and decrepit but that microwave is practically shining and new! :lol

Yeah, electrical appliances are pretty common in Nepal by now, though obviously not in the areas which are extremely poor. They are used extensively, and that microwave doesnt seem too new... I think I see some grime on it as well as dirt spots.

I have to say... I am extremely impressed with how well ND have got the environment right for Nepal. I have been there on many occasions (Only Kathmandu though, so dont know much about the countryside or village areas), and the details are incredible. The street signs blow me away... as do the roads and the building materials (or textures :lol ).

I'm very hyped for Uncharted 2, and cant wait.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Fur shading as in fur coats or as in YETIS??????
You know that kind of thought popped in my mind the instant I read they specifically mentioned how they are writing fur shaders "for the coat". Would they really talk about having to work on shaders for something so inconsequential as the coat, and mention it in the same sentence with shaders for snow and ice that comprises the whole level. I immediately thought they might have some more use for that fur than what they're letting on :p

John_B

104hjjo.jpg

:lol

Don't panic, everything will be detail perfect in the end, but it is kinda funny when you notice. Some of the first screens also had some messed up arms.

bdouble

Rocwell said:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/DebtROC/jtowzm.jpg

I would think small appliances like a Microwave would be pretty easy to get anywhere in the world.

Top Bottom