• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves new pics

De-mon

108768_uncharted-2--among-thieves.jpg

108763_uncharted-2--among-thieves.jpg

108764_uncharted-2--among-thieves.jpg

108765_uncharted-2--among-thieves.jpg

108762_uncharted-2--among-thieves.jpg

mru3xt.jpg

2n5dmd.jpg

3538ffs.jpg

jtowzm.jpg

74201420090204_055903_0_big.jpg

Gameplay Demo

The small section of gameplay they showed was in Nepal City, the same area seen in recent screen shots. The city is about 1/4 of the way through the game and it’s in the midst of civil war with ravaged buildings and burning vehicles. Nathan tries to sneak into the city by pretending to be a reporter, but when the guards get suspicious, he busts through the gate.

The beginning of the demo opens with a bunch of soldiers searching for Nathan, only to soon be run over by a runaway bus. The wrecked bus blocks the street, forcing Nathan to climb across some crumbling buildings, using shop signs and street lights to traverse and narrowly avoids impaling himself on some exposed rebar.

The developers then used this opportunity to show off some of the game’s expanded stealth gameplay – what they’re calling action-stealth since they don’t want the pacing to get slowed down. They hung just below one guy waiting for the right moment to grab and toss him off the side of a building. Then back on ground level they snuck up behind another soldier standing in a doorway, grabbed him and knocked him out on the brick wall. Stealth kills can apparently net you more grenades or better weapons in the right situations, and using cover keeps you safe from soldiers’ line of sight as well as bullets.

The other big gameplay feature that they talked about but didn’t really show is traversal gunplay – which basically means that Drake can now shoot back when he’s climbing on walls. They even talked about being able to hang from a sign on the side of a building, using it for cover, and peeking out over the top to fire.

They’re aiming for a much broader range of enemies and AI behaviors. Some enemies carry big shields, which you can also pick up for portable cover if you take them down. Soldiers will also hunt for Nathan and follow him to his last seen location if you try to run away, sounding like something you’d expect from Metal Gear or Assassin’s Creed.

[uc29]

Tech/Art

Unknown to many, one of Naughty Dog’s teams actually works full-time on tech for PS3 developers to get the most out of the system, giving the developer a bit of an advantage. They estimate that in the first Uncharted, they were only utilizing the SPUs to about 30% but now they’re actually running them at 100% which gives them a lot more processing power to work with.

In the first game, they used two different character models for cut-scenes and gameplay, but now they have the same character model for both. They also proved to us that the scene in the VGA trailer was indeed real time, showing us the scene again and moving the camera around inside and outside of the train in 3D space.

There are more interactive items in the environment, more animations for Drake for different situations (walking across the moving train, etc.), and new shaders for things like snow, ice, and fur (Nathan will be getting a coat to keep him warm). It sounds like they want the snow and ice to be just as impressive as the water was in the first game and they’re working on effects for footprints, sparkling, and translucence.

The art team is obsessively gathering references for all the different environments and thinking through back-stories for the use of every room in the game. One artist even ran to a house that caught on fire and asked the owner if he could take pictures for reference.

http://bloodworthgt.gametrailers.com/gamepad/

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Post the article/interview and links please!

This shit looks incredible.

EDIT - there are more pics. Get those up and the interview please.

Yesterday I had the privilege to head over to Naughty Dog to get a good look at Uncharted 2, and to my surprise their offices are literally right across the street from GameTrailers. They gave an hour and a half presentation covering just about every aspect of the game. It was mostly talking and power point, but they did play through a small section and show us some behind-the-scenes footage that may not ever be made available to the public. I did an interview with one of the directors there, but we weren’t allowed to shoot anything else so welcome to my mega-blog.

Gameplay Demo

The small section of gameplay they showed was in Nepal City, the same area seen in recent screen shots. The city is about 1/4 of the way through the game and it’s in the midst of civil war with ravaged buildings and burning vehicles. Nathan tries to sneak into the city by pretending to be a reporter, but when the guards get suspicious, he busts through the gate.

The beginning of the demo opens with a bunch of soldiers searching for Nathan, only to soon be run over by a runaway bus. The wrecked bus blocks the street, forcing Nathan to climb across some crumbling buildings, using shop signs and street lights to traverse and narrowly avoids impaling himself on some exposed rebar.

The developers then used this opportunity to show off some of the game’s expanded stealth gameplay – what they’re calling action-stealth since they don’t want the pacing to get slowed down. They hung just below one guy waiting for the right moment to grab and toss him off the side of a building. Then back on ground level they snuck up behind another soldier standing in a doorway, grabbed him and knocked him out on the brick wall. Stealth kills can apparently net you more grenades or better weapons in the right situations, and using cover keeps you safe from soldiers’ line of sight as well as bullets.

The other big gameplay feature that they talked about but didn’t really show is traversal gunplay – which basically means that Drake can now shoot back when he’s climbing on walls. They even talked about being able to hang from a sign on the side of a building, using it for cover, and peeking out over the top to fire.

They’re aiming for a much broader range of enemies and AI behaviors. Some enemies carry big shields, which you can also pick up for portable cover if you take them down. Soldiers will also hunt for Nathan and follow him to his last seen location if you try to run away, sounding like something you’d expect from Metal Gear or Assassin’s Creed.

[uc29]

Tech/Art

Unknown to many, one of Naughty Dog’s teams actually works full-time on tech for PS3 developers to get the most out of the system, giving the developer a bit of an advantage. They estimate that in the first Uncharted, they were only utilizing the SPUs to about 30% but now they’re actually running them at 100% which gives them a lot more processing power to work with.

In the first game, they used two different character models for cut-scenes and gameplay, but now they have the same character model for both. They also proved to us that the scene in the VGA trailer was indeed real time, showing us the scene again and moving the camera around inside and outside of the train in 3D space.

There are more interactive items in the environment, more animations for Drake for different situations (walking across the moving train, etc.), and new shaders for things like snow, ice, and fur (Nathan will be getting a coat to keep him warm). It sounds like they want the snow and ice to be just as impressive as the water was in the first game and they’re working on effects for footprints, sparkling, and translucence.

The art team is obsessively gathering references for all the different environments and thinking through back-stories for the use of every room in the game. One artist even ran to a house that caught on fire and asked the owner if he could take pictures for reference.

Out on a Limb

That’s about all there is to tell, but I think Naughty Dog is holding on to some secrets. With all this talk of Chloe being “Nathan’s equal in every way,” I can’t help but think that they’re leading up to an announcement about co-op gameplay – or at the least, you’ll play as Chloe at some point. I didn’t get any straight answers when I asked, but I think it’s a likely possibility. In any case, the game is looking great so far and I’m looking forward to playing it this fall.

We'll also have a two-part interview up later today.

http://bloodworthgt.gametrailers.com/gamepad/

mru3xt.jpg

2n5dmd.jpg

3538ffs.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Bullshots but looks awesome still. Looks like a new partner too. Hopefully there's some co-op in this one.

Esch

Banned
post the interview and other pics too along with these.

And i said wow. Vibrant, detailed screens right here.

Xun

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Ahem, sorry just caught me off guard.

It certainly looks more "epic" than the first. :lol

Guled

This has to have the best graphics yet on a console
Heavy Rain might beat it, we shall see

Wario64 said:
Bullshots but looks awesome still. Looks like a new partner too. Hopefully there's some co-op in this one.

I dunno dude. They say in the article that they confirmed that the VGA trailer was real time.

kittel

Wario64 said:

same character models in-game & cutscene

yes hopefully co-op to the chagrin of some GAFfers

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
nom nom nom confirmed. :D

DMeisterJ

Banned
Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck. Oh my Fuck.

Okay, I think I'm done.

Good god this looks fucking awesome!

rawr.

Stillmatic

I'm guessing this won't have MP, but co-op. Which would be fucking awesome! Especially with stealth now part of the gameplay.

EazyB said:
Gorgeous looking game.

Have they said anything about co-op yet?

Nope, but Chloe is supposed to be with Nathan through the game and they've said that she's his equal. So take that is you will.

sprocket

Banned
of course there is BS amount of AA going on but everything else will look the same and thats still " HOLY SHIT! " worthy.

jett

D-Member

I wonder if cut-scenes will be rendered in real-time in U2.

-viper-

Banned
I'd rather not see co-op in Uncharted 2.

Some co-op segments would be nice (like in the first game), but I'd prefer to see the majority of the game as Drake alone, and it makes more sense for this to be the case imo.

I don't want no shitty partner A.I. like RE5.

Esch

Banned
I have a little trouble believing this is realtime too, the AA is too good and the DoF filter is overdone to the point where it would actually detract from the game's look. But hey, I could be wrong right? K2 looks this smooth.

tooltime3.gif

Hippo.gif

burgerdog

Non-believers will be eating crow when this game is released! Naughty Dog am tech gods, these guys do not disappoint. I don't think these guys do bullshots, don't let me down, ND, or I'll be the one eating crow.

BeeDog

If you're gonna have the chick next to you throughout the whole game (for co-op purposes or whatever), at least make her invincible like the lil' lady in the first game if you decide to play the game alone.

Top Bottom