• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves new pics

itxaka

Defeatist
deepbrown said:
The definition of BULLSHOT is not very well-defined. Some make it sound like it's that they are pre-rendered/target renders.

It's also quite an insult to say the word - like the developer is deliberately lying.

It's much better to say that the pics are downsampled.

mmh, okay. I thougth that a bulshot meaned is not a direct screen grab of what your console is displaying, but yes as you say it kinds of sound like a bad thing.

Downsampled then, sounds much better ;)

Now about that demo....arne are you there? :)

Doc Evils

WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

209jdjl.gif

207am3l.gif

Doc Evils

Gibb said:
ROFL.. all the disbelievers.. shame on you!!! :lol :lol

I was just going to post that I believe these are indeed actual screenshots/captures, I saw some (minor) jaggies on Drake's chin.. if properly bullshotted then something like that would have been "touched up".

Oh and WOOOWIIEEEEZOWWIIEEEE at the screens.. nomnomnomnom :D

This is them right now:

24qplat.gif

Pug

These shots are downsampled from much much higher resolutions, thats the only bull bit about them. Lots of developers do this.

zoukka

deepbrown said:
The definition of BULLSHOT is not very well-defined. Some make it sound like it's that they are pre-rendered/target renders.

It's also quite an insult to say the word - like the developer is deliberately lying.

It's much better to say that the pics are downsampled.

Yeah we should always remember proper tone of speech when talking about GAME DEVELOPERS WHOOO!

deepbrown

zoukka said:
Yeah we should always remember proper tone of speech when talking about GAME DEVELOPERS WHOOO!

Of course we should. Games might be PLAYED by younger people, it doesn't mean the makers are immature. Especially when ND have proved themselves to technical genius' - and further in times like these where a lot of Game devs are losing their jobs, treat them with respect.

Belittle me, but don't belittle developers (unless they ask for it - Dyack)

Fuck that looks amazing. Why is there even a bullshot debate, you can see jaggies and aliasing, but overall the shots look stunning, probably much closer to the real thing that the first batch of shots.

lostxii

Philanthropist said:
HS and ME? Yuck. Please no. I have both games and their storylines are probably the absolute worst aspect about them.

What? Heavenly Sword's storyline was pretty good.

zoukka

deepbrown said:
Of course we should. Games might be PLAYED by younger people, it doesn't mean the makers are immature. Especially when ND have proved themselves to technical genius' - and further in times like these where a lot of Game devs are losing their jobs, treat them with respect.

Belittle me, but don't belittle developers (unless they ask for it - Dyack)

Nah. You don't see me giving any corporations/labels/etc, any slack. Ever.

Wake up guys. These dudes are out to get your money. "HOW DARE YOU DISS THE NEW COKE FLAVOR, THOSE MEN & WOMEN WORKED THEIR ASS OFF PRODUCING IT"

deepbrown

zoukka said:

Wake up guys. These dudes are out to get your money. "HOW DARE YOU DISS THE NEW COKE FLAVOR, THOSE MEN & WOMEN WORKED THEIR ASS OFF PRODUCING IT"
Sigh. Diss Sony, not ND.

zoukka said:

You have learned well from GAF on how to dehumanize your target. The first stage of your training is complete. You are well on your way to becoming a legendary troll.

Eccocid

As much as i love Elena, she shouldn't be in this game imo.
I see Uncharted more like a Bond or Indy serie, in each movie you know hero gets a dif chick and friends etc.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
no elena makes me sad. she has to make an appearance of some sort at the beginning though, they can't just drop her out of nowhere. she still needs her story :(

bjaelke

Beautiful. Makes me want to purchase a PS3 and replay the first game. Uncharted has been one of my best experiences this gen.

Darunia said:
no elena makes me sad. she has to make an appearance of some sort at the beginning though, they can't just drop her out of nowhere. she still needs her story :(

They should show her as an overweight baby mama and Nathan walks out on her because he's tired of her baloney and decides to go adventuring.

Honestly I never thought the first uncharted had the best graphics ever that some people seemed to feel....Like it looked great, It's just something always looked off about it tho, so It never blew me away like it did others. However if this game really does looks like the shots posted in the OP, then yea, it officially has the best graphics ever because nothing really looks off this time. Everything looks right, perfect, and amazing

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just starting the interviews now. The very first thing I notice is how awesome the music sounds already. Damn epic.

This feels classic already. Kinda like their second Crash game just turned it up.

Excellent color pallet.

Owensboro

cjtiger300 said:
The actress who played Elena has got some decent TV roles. She has played a new Dr in the last season of ER, so in a way she has kinda hit it big. My guess is Elena died when Emily Rose gained some stardom.

Ahh, the decision makes sense due to the cost, and good for her as well! Plus, if they are trying to be like the old Indiana Jones movies and take inspiration from old serials, it makes sense they would throw a new lady in the mix. I have faith in ND, they can create another character that will be likable, lets just hope whoever gets cast has the same comedic timing as Elena did. I've got a lot of faith in Naughty Dog.

jett

D-Member
neorej said:
People were calling the original Uncharted-screens bullshots. ND proved them wrong.
People were calling Killzone 2-screens bullshots. GG proved them wrong.

And now people are calling the Uncharted 2-screens bullshots...

*sigh* when will it end?

Remember the greatest purp of bullshots in the history of everything bullshots:
NG_madden_nextgen.jpg

20050912h.jpg

word.

Look at the Red Dead topic, same fucking thing, nobody brings up BUBUBU THEY'RE TEH BULLSHOTZZ. Funny huh. :p

JCreasy said:
My true dream at this point is that some how ND manages to get a writer from LOST to help them craft the story.

The story in the first Uncharted was a little weak. I was never truly clear on what Nathan Drake's true motivation was. Was it finding the truth about Sir Francis Drake or finding treasure and getting rich? All of the above? Either way, his interest in both seemed to trail off by the end of the game.

I didn't even realize Nathan Drake is supposed to be a treasure "thief" until I watched the interview on gametrailers and the new director explicitly said so. I always thought he was a archeologist/academic, and Sully was this shady guy that has some how attached himself to Drake and truly wants treasure for the money. It was just never clear to me that Nathan Drake was interested in riches. Even at the end he seemed mildly amused that Sully had gotten a way with a boat load of treasure.

I think a trained storyteller can do a better job of giving the characters in Uncharted 2 clear motivations throughout the game. I think adding this to the list of priorities will boost the movie-like experience ND obviously hopes to engineer with this game.

I think you missed a whole lot in the story that was there.

You missed the whole part where Drake "quits" on the whole treasure mission? Where he figures out that the mission is more likely to get him killed than get him rich, so he gives up? If he wasn't primarily interested in the treasure of El Dorado, and was more interested in the legacy of his family tie to Francis Drake, he would have kept the ring instead of throwing it away in disgust when he realized he wasn't going to get the treasure.

I thought that was pretty well-told. As were the myriad of story hints to let you know that Nathan is absolutely no saint. His heart may be sort of in the right place (at least compared to the scoundrels he hangs out with) but he's no Boy Scout.

I picked up on those telling moments in the story right away, which is why, even though I was a huge fan of Elena in the first game, and thought she was probably one of the best realized female characters in gaming in years (HL's Alyx being the other,) I can totally see why her and Nathan may not be together in this game.

It sounds like you want a more obvious story, not a better one. All the clues were there that you needed to put together who Nathan really is, yet you seem to have missed the best of them.

Personally, I thought the story and especially the character development and dialog of Uncharted was among the best I've played in a game.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Pristine_Condition said:
I thought that was pretty well-told. As were the myriad of story hints to let you know that Nathan is absolutely no saint. His heart may be sort of in the right place (at least compared to the scoundrels he hangs out with) but he's no Boy Scout.

I think he can best be compared to Han Solo - he wants money, but he's also on the right side of things. I don't think Nathan will ever be a backstabber, and we definately know what drives him.

ypo

jett said:
20050912h.jpg

word.

Look at the Red Dead topic, same fucking thing, nobody brings up BUBUBU THEY'RE TEH BULLSHOTZZ. Funny huh. :p

Yep this happens with every single game this gen so I would think by now people know what to expect, but you know the battle needs to be waged on.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Just starting the interviews now. The very first thing I notice is how awesome the music sounds already. Damn epic.

If you're talking about the GameTrailers interview, that's not from the game, it's just licensed music from our library. We rarely have access to the music this early on, and I actually would not be surprised if it hasn't been recorded yet.

lostxii

Eccocid said:
As much as i love Elena, she shouldn't be in this game imo.
I see Uncharted more like a Bond or Indy serie, in each movie you know hero gets a dif chick and friends etc.

But that's so formulaic. From what they said, they just want to create a greater cast of characters to add more depth to the world. I think that's a great idea since it's one of the few problems I personally had with Uncharted.

ElyrionX said:
Who's the chick? Are there any frontal screens of her?
2mobn1v.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Owensboro said:
Ahh, the decision makes sense due to the cost, and good for her as well! Plus, if they are trying to be like the old Indiana Jones movies and take inspiration from old serials, it makes sense they would throw a new lady in the mix. I have faith in ND, they can create another character that will be likable, lets just hope whoever gets cast has the same comedic timing as Elena did. I've got a lot of faith in Naughty Dog.
Elena's voice actress:

MV5BMTc3NzE0NzE3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzU2OTU5MQ@@._V1._SX335_SY500_.jpg

ND needs to keep the hot chicks train rolling.

JCreasy

DrPirate said:
Complain about the story and then suggest getting someone from Lost to help?

I dunno but I stopped watching that show because the story is absolutely batshit insane. I don't know if it wants me to take it seriously or as a joke. I know it's 100% pure fiction, but come the fuck on. It seems the writers wrote themselves into a whole so they'll thatch together bullshit with bullshit.

Get a novelist, get a scriptwriter with decent credentials, hell, use the writers that work there now and just have them think about it some more, but for the love of Christ don't use the writers from Lost.

Edit: and you speak about Uncharted needing clarity AND YOUR BRING UP THE LOST WRITERS. PLEASE. You could have just begged for Uncharted to have a single flashback.

Ok, to each his own. If you don't like Lost, that's fine.

But I DO defend the idea that writers of Lost know how to craft compelling characters. Just because you might hire a writer from Lost doesn't mean Uncharted 2 has to FUNCTION like Lost. But I think the show is successful for several reasons, one of those reasons being it's filled with riveting characters.

If you could separate the plot devices from their amazing ability to create deep and rich characters, you have to admit that the writers of Lost are pretty damn good. I would just like Uncharted to benefit from talent like that.

But your point is well taken, you can get that from any other talented writer. But I DO think television writers would serve game development best because the nature of what they do, writing for a medium that's episodic and cinematic fits the mold of a game script perfectly. That's just my opinion.

LiK

Tieno said:
Glad they got rid of that first Uncharted chick, she was annoying.

kinda funny cuz they kept promoting that she was like a "real" girl. it looks like they're gonna give us some eye candy this time. exposed belly is one step up. :lol

JCreasy

LiK said:
kinda funny cuz they kept promoting that she was like a "real" girl. it looks like they're gonna give us some eye candy this time. exposed belly is one step up. :lol

haha i know right?

and when did sexy become a cardinal sin?

I realize that elena's design was kind of a response to the almost defeaning pigish pitch of videogame culture. Nevertheless, C'MON! Elena felt like someone was overcompensating. Almost as if she wasn't ALLOWED to be remotely attractive.

If Chloe and Elena were real, who would you prefer to run around the jungle with?

I rest my case . . .

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
a Master Ninja said:
They are technically bullshots if they are captures with higher AA than the game will have. We have no reason to doubt that these are the actual in-game assets, though.
bullshots=/=target renders
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the original meaning of Bullshot was to mock target renders. Unless it was made up even earlier, I think the word was invented by Penny Arcade, to make fun of some EA games' target renders. *edit*, beaten by Jett...

Top Bottom