• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
After playing with the new patch for a while, my conclusion to the new cash changes is that that's not the answer. I'm not into powerleveling but it feels like my kills are worth nothing...because well they are worth nothing! In objective non-plunder matches I get fucking nothing, even if do 10 captures.

VulcanVillain said:
I wonder if ND/Sony is putting out a GOTY version or something? That price is crazy.

Saw a price drop for it at Wal-Mart last night. It was priced 39.96. My guess is, that is the new price for now.

Man, I have been having the urge to play through single player again! I just might have to scratch that itch before Kane and Lynch 2 and Mafia 2 come out!

Jaroof

jett said:
Well U2-GAF seems to be pretty much dead now. I blame you Naughty Dog and your new round of stupid changes.

Nah, still here.. we had a GAF match just two days ago. :D
People should be getting on tomorrow, because there's another Lab.
I know I will :)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
random plunder people are just as dumb as ever, but now I make no money.

and
Welcome to a very special episode of “The Lab” as we present Co-Op Crushing!

“The Lab” is open from Friday, August 6, at 10:00 AM PDT (what time is that in my city?) through Monday, August 9, at 10:00 AM PDT (what time is that in my city?).

Co-op Crushing takes the Co-op Arena matches you’ve gotten used to and makes them much harder by giving you and your teammates Crushing level health. That means at about 80% your normal health, you’re a much softer target for the wave after wave of enemies trying to dispatch you in Survival or stop you from capturing the treasure in Gold Rush. We suggest that you find one or two more-than-capable teammates to get the most out of this “The Lab” variation of Co-op Arena!

The active maps for this weekend of “The Lab” are:

* The Plaza – Gold Rush
* The Village – Gold Rush
* The Lost City – Survival

Please note, our original schedule stated that this episode of “The Lab” would have both Co-op Objective and Co-op Arena modes. We’ve since learned of an issue that prevents us from including Co-op Objective into this episode of “The Lab.” It works out better anyway since Co-op Arena does not have the selectable difficulty setting which Co-op Objective has.

Head over to the Naughty Dog community forums to post your impressions of “The Lab” once you’ve had a chance to play a few rounds. We’ll open the thread up when “The Lab” launches.

next lab needs to be deagle only.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Snipes424 said:
Ive been seeing the same thing. Any time see [ESP] or [Mex], it seems to be much laggier than most other matches.

If by "lag" you mean "freezes the whole team in place and you can't see them," then yes: the game has been "laggy."

Of course, I haven't played in a month because I've gotten tired of how much bullshit I've seen on a random basis of playing the game.

Changing the cash rate for objective is a good idea. Too bad the community probably doesn't give a shit and won't wise up and play OBJECTIVE mode as an OBJECTIVE GAME. Instead of a TEAM DEATHMATCH GAME.

alr1ghtstart said:
next lab needs to be deagle only.

Next lab needs to be 1.04 health and grenades worth a damn. *cough cough* I'd come back and play the 72 hours worth a damn again. :|

Isn't there supposed to be at least another DLC coming? I remember an IGN article saying four new maps is on the way. We already got two of them.

I'm sure the 2nd part of that is coming soon.

Foob

jett said:
Well U2-GAF seems to be pretty much dead now. I blame you Naughty Dog and your new round of stupid changes.

yeah, this shit is fucked..once i get another million and hit 60 i am done for good

Hey Arne, why would you guys think its a good to kill people in possible glitch spots instead of fixing the glitch. not very fun when your on a streak or fury and oh ahahah you thought you could take cover there? no you die.

like seriously im sorry but you guys suck. spawns, lag, levels,skins, glitches, fixes, updates; you all are just not good enough at all. i mean youre good as a community director but the rest....ugh

d0c_zaius

JustHadToJoin said:
like seriously im sorry but you guys suck. spawns, lag, levels,skins, glitches, fixes, updates; you all are just not good enough at all. i mean youre good as a community director but the rest....ugh

So you assume one guy does everything?

How is skins even an issue? fixes? levels? updates? wtf?

uh nevermind.....

McLovin

Very LTTP but I bought the the Siege DLC and shortly before my ps3 broke. I bought a new one recently after trying and failing to fix it myself. But anyway the maps are awesome. I was expecting them to be great, but I was blown away by how good they where. Probably the best maps yet. Props to ND great work!
edit: btw does psn offer an option to gift games or dlc?

d0c_zaius said:
So you assume one guy does everything?

How is skins even an issue? fixes? levels? updates? wtf?

uh nevermind.....

good lord..... obviously the term "you guys" means i know one guy doesn't do everything. thats just an idiotic question really.

skins..with no voices
fixes that are not actually fixes, clearly mentioned
every update makes the game worse
levels is obviously an opinion, shared by many

Jaroof

JustHadToJoin said:

Yeah, that's really gonna help fix things -_-

Irish

JustHadToJoin said:
good lord..... obviously the term "you guys" means i know one guy doesn't do everything. thats just an idiotic question really.

skins..with no voices
fixes that are not actually fixes, clearly mentioned
every update makes the game worse

Scored, don't even bother. The Doc always shows up to say some stupid shit in defense of what U2 multiplayer has become. S/he's in the industry so s/he's obviously an expert on everything.

Biography:
I've worked in the game industry for 5 years, from Ratchet UYA to Uncharted 2

I mean, it's not as if those of us who have put in hundreds of hours into the MP since launch (and many more when beta and demo time is counted) have any idea what we're talking about when it comes to what has and has not been changed and become worse off since the first beta. The fact the game has seemingly gone backwards through time (I believe we're currently in the beta phase. Alpha's up next.) is all in our imaginations.

You see, it makes total sense to just kill people who happen to climb or enter cover even remotely close to where a person could enter the geometry beforehand. That's just how we fix shit in the real world. Don't seal that crack up, bro. Nah, just put a booby trap there instead.

JustHadToJoin said:

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about here though. Are you talking about the maps (which I think are fantastic) or player levels?

d0c_zaius

Wow you sure have a lot of hate GAFdetective guy. The fact you got mad enough to check my profile out is a little silly. I changed it just for you Irish. Yes, working on games gives you a perspective (usually work experience does). Sorry for trying to balance the ranty bullshit I read with some actual experience. I'm too busy to proper quote, so bear with me if you actually plan to read all of this.

"i mean you're good as a community director but the rest....ugh"

I was responding to this quote Justhadtojoin. People ask Arne to fix bugs wtf was I supposed to think? And yes the question was rhetorical (which I though was obvious). Most of the complaints are completely understandable to anyone understanding the development cycle of a title.

"You see, it makes total sense to just kill people who happen to climb or enter cover even remotely close to where a person could enter the geometry beforehand. That's just how we fix shit in the real world. Don't seal that crack up, bro. Nah, just put a booby trap there instead."

You have no idea what the fuck you are talking about and its painfully obvious. Hundreds of hours of gameplay won't get you a design gig. That part about "fixing things in the real world" is ridiculous.

Irish

It's just the way you've approached the situation now and earlier in the thread. I'd say the instadeath is just as bad if not worse than having to deal with someone who has entered the geometry. That's something that doesn't occur as often nor is it as frustrating as losing a streak for no reason at all.

d0c_zaius

Irish said:
It's just the way you've approached the situation now and earlier in the thread. I'd say the instadeath is just as bad if not worse than having to deal with someone who has entered the geometry. That's something that doesn't occur as often nor is it as frustrating as losing a streak for no reason at all.

Ok good, lets be civil and have a discussion about this. After all this is my intent (even if my attitude gets in the way sometimes).

So if a death plane has killed you inappropriately, it is a bug and can be fixed very simply by informing them. If the death plane wasn't there, then someone could enter that portion of the level and exploit kills. This in turn can give others a reason to use the exploit.

So in that scenerio, 1 accidental death outweighs one person being rewarded for numerous unstoppable kills. I can understand the loss of a streak being frustrating but I would think being repeatedly killed by a cheater is worse.

How are those situations equal?

Darkatomz

You won't be seeing me for a week or two guys after this weekend is up. Something is fucked with my game, and I could use a long break...

Irish

d0c_zaius said:
So in that scenerio, 1 accidental death outweighs one person being rewarded for numerous unstoppable kills. I can understand the loss of a streak being frustrating but I would think being repeatedly killed by a cheater is worse.

I suppose that the one glitcher could ruin for people who play the game by themselves. Fortunately, I've been lucky enough to play with the GAF guys and we were always able to stop the glitcher from glitching after he got his first kill from the spot. After an instance or so of being denied access, they would usually play normally.

Now, I don't mind the death spots as a temporary fix, but they've been there for months and it's definitely been more of an issue than the glitchers shooting from those spots. They always seem to be in some of the more frequently used cover spots so dying from them happens more than occasionally.

Unrelated:

I just get angry because I really loved the game, but so much has been changed (and none of it for the better). The rather large community of nightly players we had for U2 was pretty much obliterated. The uniqueness of the gameplay was brought us all in, but that was all pushed to the side because the vocal minority seemed to complain because it didn't play exactly like everything else out there.

Snipes424

If anyone wants to do the new lab missions, hit me up on PSN: Snipes424.

I made the mistake of trying to PUG it and I had one guy on the opposite side of the map and another thought it would be funny to throw grenades at his feet.

d0c_zaius

Irish said:
I suppose that the one glitcher could ruin for people who play the game by themselves. Fortunately, I've been lucky enough to play with the GAF guys and we were always able to stop the glitcher from glitching after he got his first kill from the spot. After an instance or so of being denied access, they would usually play normally.

Now, I don't mind the death spots as a temporary fix, but they've been there for months and it's definitely been more of an issue than the glitchers shooting from those spots. They always seem to be in some of the more frequently used cover spots so dying from them happens more than occasionally.

Unrelated:

I just get angry because I really loved the game, but so much has been changed (and none of it for the better). The rather large community of nightly players we had for U2 was pretty much obliterated. The uniqueness of the gameplay was brought us all in, but that was all pushed to the side because the vocal minority seemed to complain because it didn't play exactly like everything else out there.

Yea, if you look at it from the nonGAF perspective, stopping glitchers is the number 1 priority.

Death planes are not a temporary fix. They are 1 solution to curb glitching in conjunction with other fixes. They will not go away. All you can do is find the positions that cause a death plane to be tripped inappropriately and submit them to ND through a screenshot or cinema. Zod5000 is a dev that accept all glitch cinemas, screenshots, anything.

Instead of looking at it as a couple of minor fuckups (after all people are human and its possible for a death plane to be screwed up), I would hope people would look at it as a commitment do refine and better the game instead of the developer just moving on and leaving the fanbase in the dust.

I can understand your anger as I have been there with other titles. While I dont share your opinion on how the game has lost its uniqueness and fun, I can completely understand your anger towards changing something you thought worked. However, I hope that since you enjoyed the product and as such appreciate the efforts of the people that work on it, you can give the benefit of the doubt that they have learned a thing or two (and continue to learn) about post deployment development when it comes to online games.

Apologies if I came off harsh in a couple of previous posts on this subject, and I wont do it again as I think my perspective has been communicated at this point.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So I tried The Lab today and I'm like 50/50 on it. I figured since it was Crushing-like health it would be more difficult, but I found it to be pretty easy! Maybe it's because I play co-op arena most of the time and I know how to take care of situations that come forth, but me and my buddy were beating everything without much trouble. The only thing I noticed is that the health was lowered a little bit. It's almost like if you have Invalid equipped, but even then, I don't think the health has decreased by half since with Invalid, you die a lot quicker and in The Lab, you do get downed more quickly, but not like Invalid.

I find that The Lab is only fun when you're playing with random people because if you're playing with a friend who knows what they're doing, The Lab isn't a fun challenge. However, if you play with randoms, it becomes more interesting since you don't know the other player's habits and what they're going to do/fuck up. Also, I figured you'd be able to play Siege with The Lab or have the options to have more maps, but having only like 3 maps and reusing them for different modes doesn't add that much variety. Good thing it's only experimental.

Still, I'm happy that they added this Lab since it's something that I was asking for a pretty long time. I'm not satisfied, but it's a starting step! It's funny, me and my co-op buddy were talking about how we were probably not going to be able to beat Gold Rush in The Lab the day before it become available to play and now that we played it, we just laughed at ourselves. Any chances Naughty Dog can make Co-op Arena BRUTAL like Co-op Objective's Crushing? Objective's Crushing is BRUTAL and I'd LOVE it if Arena offered the same brutality of toughness like Objective offers. Seriously, The Sanctuary on Crushing is fucking hard and so is The Village!

Edit:

Any chance you guys are also looking into the issue of co-op arena's entire match ending when a player quits or gets a connection error?

Irish said:
I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about here though. Are you talking about the maps (which I think are fantastic) or player levels?

No the maps are great (why are they all symmetrical though, is it supposed to be like that? Either way that worked out pretty well.) But the time it takes to get to max levels is what I meant. Of course you don't have to..but I'd like to.. and yeah thats not happening.

Levi

Banned
While I personally find Doc Zaius to be quite rude, and I have no respect for people who will trash someone in public but ignore private attempts to find out what the hell his damn problem is, I have to agree with him in that I find the support of the game by the MP team to be exemplary. The game has, what, 100k players? That can't be what they were hoping for. Yet we've gotten 9 major title updates, tons of DLC, and Arne is still out there on the official forum as someone average players can contact and get answers to the questions and concerns.

I've died twice in 500 hours of online MP time due to death planes, but I've died seemingly dozens or even hundreds of times to glitchers.

Once or twice I've not had time to adjust my boosters before it locks you out of that menu, yet I've had many games ruined because I was going up against some triple booster glitcher who had SI and DTI turned on, back before they nerfed DTI (which, I will point out, was a constant request of the gaf UC2 community!!)

If they had abandoned the game at 1.04, like some of you wish, it would be unplayable now. Air-walking and geometry-glitching would dominate every game, because all the normal players would have long ago giving up trying to compete with the cheaters.

Also, and most importantly, dying due to a death plane doesn't give the other team a point. Dying by a glitcher does. The point is to WIN, not end up with a good KDR.

d0c_zaius

Yea, I can have my dbag moments. Yesterday was a rough day :lol .

Apologies to Irish or anyone else I offended. I have friends that work on the game and sometimes I get angry when their efforts to help are dismissed or hated on.

I'll leave the attitude at my desk next time:D .

I get the complaints as I've been playing MUCH less these past couple of months. Not because I've gotten sick of the game... hell no. I love it and remembered how much i did the other day when I booted it up. But then playing it reminded me why I've put it aside. I got used to the idea of dying after being spotted from across the map so guys with no skill can get a kill. I was fine with grenades doing next to nothing when a foot away from an enemy etc etc. But that shit coupled with lag = a terrible terrible experience. There are no words to describe the frustration when you lure someone to the edge of a ledge, drop down to the ground and then watch your character automatically float back up to the ledge and be kicked off. Or when you roll clearly away from a ledg only to be instantaneously warped back to be pulled off. How about watching someone die moments into your reload animation. Running up firing at someone then throwing a punch and they don't die but you do. No traversal WHATSOEVER.... That's what set this game apart from the rest of the shit out there. Thanks, ND.

Anyway... hope to get some game time in this weekend.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
1.10 needs some kind of audio beep beep beep signaling the end of being able to choose boosters. It's pretty aggravating these days.

fixuis

Fresh batch of multiplayer goodness :D

Uncharted%202%3A%20Among%20Thieves%E2%84%A2.jpg

JB1981

I tried to play this game Saturday and the matchmaking literally could not find a match. Is there something up w/ the matchmaking? I moved into a new apartment in a town a little further South from where i used to live. Same router, ISP etc. Don't know what was up w/ that.

-- oh .. there is new DLC .. that must be why i couldn't find a game ....

Rewrite said:
People already found a glitch on The Facility...
*facepalm*

Such a great game has to be littered with idiots. I hope Uncharted 3 introduces an insta-death solution if you go outside the map boundaries. They probably could still implement it now, instead of always trying to fix the glitch spots.

denomes

Is there a way to play solo against bots in the multiplayer modes? I've been reluctant to purchases the DLC due to the lack of this feature.

CozMick

Banned
denomes said:
Is there a way to play solo against bots in the multiplayer modes? I've been reluctant to purchases the DLC due to the lack of this feature.

No unfortunately, would be amazing though.

Sick of waiting 10 minutes to join a co-op game only for the other guy to quit instantly because a map he doesn't like pops up :lol

_RT_

CozMick said:
No unfortunately, would be amazing though.

Sick of waiting 10 minutes to join a co-op game only for the other guy to quit instantly because a map he doesn't like pops up :lol

A) How are people even able to quit when that happens? TWICE last night both people bailed and I started a match solo. Of course the game took me back to the matchmaking screen... but still. WTF.

B) I only play co-op. Is there any reason for me to buy DLC other than the Siege Pack (which I already have)? Are the other maps playable in co-op?

Ikkarus

If anyone from GAF wants to hit co-op on either hard or crushing let me know as I'm aiming to get the trophies for those bad boys.

Problem is when I do it with randoms they tend to have it normal or easy. =(

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
_RT_ said:
B) I only play co-op. Is there any reason for me to buy DLC other than the Siege Pack (which I already have)? Are the other maps playable in co-op?
If you only bought the Siege pack, I think you're only missing one piece of DLC that includes two maps. Do you have The Facility and The Flooded Ruins? If you don't, then you're missing those two maps that are also available for co-op arena (Survival/Siege/Gold Rush). I forgot the name that DLC was called, but I'm sure you can read the description on the PSN store (there's a bundle of it if I recall correctly where you get the maps and the Uncharted 1 skins). Those two maps are great...especially The Facility on Gold Rush. So intense!

_RT_

Rewrite said:
If you only bought the Siege pack, I think you're only missing one piece of DLC that includes two maps. Do you have The Facility and The Flooded Ruins? If you don't, then you're missing those two maps that are also available for co-op arena (Survival/Siege/Gold Rush). I forgot the name that DLC was called, but I'm sure you can read the description on the PSN store (there's a bundle of it if I recall correctly where you get the maps and the Uncharted 1 skins). Those two maps are great...especially The Facility on Gold Rush. So intense!

Cool. Thanks.
Gonna pick it up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom