• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Zeliard said:
PS3 owners will be hugely spoiled now and in the coming months. Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, Final Fantasy XIII....

Goodness.

Though I have to say that Demon's Souls is so good that it actually killed my God of War 3 hype a bit. :lol I'll honestly be impressed if GoW3 turns out a better overall game.

Sorry but how can you forget Ratchet and Clank. It looks amazing, and all the flaws from the original have been addressed (harder difficulty, trophies, new weapons).

I hope it doesn't bomb because Insomniac have really listened to the fans and made an excellent game. I hope the demo increases the hype.

JSnake

My review is up! http://playstationsquad.com/reviews/uncharted-2-review/

10/10

Overall, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves needs to be played. The year isn’t over yet but so far it’s the absolute strongest contender for game of the year. I’d go so far as to say that Uncharted 2 is worth owning a PS3 for. It bombards with you an array of emotions thanks to the lovable characters and phenomenal voice talent. From fear, to sadness, to jubilation, and admiration, Uncharted 2 makes you feel like you’re experiencing an interactive film and yet it’s still incredible even from just a pure game standpoint because it nails every facet of good game design out there and provides an experience that no other form of entertainment can. Marrying the best aspects of film with the best aspects of gaming, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is a must-play.

SkoneLL

Neo Member
I still haven't finished the first Uncharted. I definitely plan on finishing it over the weekend. I already have Uncharted 2 pre-ordered. I can't wait! :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Toki767 said:
Just finished and got my Crushing trophy. So much faster than playing through it on Hard. I only died half as much. :lol

So another person that thought Crushing was easier than Hard. Interesting.

Kittonwy

Banned
mr_nothin said:
I dont see how UC2 was playing it safe when it outdid everything from the 1st game. Made it longer, added multiplayer, added cinema mode, added multiple co-op modes. Everything about that is RISKY when you started out with just the single player. From the reviews and from all the impressions on here, they've outdone the single player experience from the 1st 1. So not only did they improve on the single player, you've got all of these added modes and such.

I dont see how that was playing it safe. If anything, they should be commended for actually pulling off a feat like this, that's insane. Not to mention that none of the added modes are tacked on. They're all genuinely great. So much replay value added.

If they're biased against VALUE, then this game should be alot higher than the score they're limiting it to.

Not sure why they would say it's not risky when they're basically juggling three gameplay systems (cover-based combat/puzzles/platforming), THREE modes (SP/MP/co-op) and trying to do EVERYTHING well, many games can't even do ONE well, they did ALL of them well. And it's not like they can go a completely different direction given an action-adventure game is what it is, if they made something completely different, it wouldn't be Uncharted.
Indifferent2.gif

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
JSnake said:
why would crushing be easier than hard?? I've never played crushing but how does that even make sense?

Knowing what to expect makes it easier to anticipate things. Even if dying becomes easier, it's avoidable since we know how to beat the game

Magnus

Man, this game is King Chief President when it comes to single-player scripted events. When other games give me scenarios where the floor gives way, or the walls/ceilings collapse, or whatever, and it doesn't look as good as Uncharted 2 (and nothing probably will for a while), I'm going to be disappointed.

It's like I've been irreparably spoiled. I'm kind of sad about that. :lol

Fuck this game is visually astounding. I feel insulted on Naughty Dog's behalf to see 9.0s for this. If nothing else, this is a 10 on visuals. It's criminal to believe otherwise.

What fucking more could people want from visuals? My god. I think I only remember one instant where the framerate dropped ever so slightly, and even then, it lasted for like, a whole second. :lol This shit is locked and it's beautiful.

By the way, are we sure this game's at 30fps? I'm usually a player who can notice the difference, and I thought I was looking at 60 this whole time. :lol

Gribbix

Anyone managed to find all the treasure in chapter 6? I've searched all over that chapter multiple times but I'm still missing one treasure. I checked the IGN guide and they haven't found that one either.

agaru

Magnus said:
Man, this game is King Chief President when it comes to single-player scripted events. When other games give me scenarios where the floor gives way, or the walls/ceilings collapse, or whatever, and it doesn't look as good as Uncharted 2 (and nothing probably will for a while), I'm going to be disappointed.

It's like I've been irreparably spoiled. I'm kind of sad about that. :lol

Fuck this game is visually astounding. I feel insulted on Naughty Dog's behalf to see 9.0s for this. If nothing else, this is a 10 on visuals. It's criminal to believe otherwise.

What fucking more could people want from visuals? My god. I think I only remember one instant where the framerate dropped ever so slightly, and even then, it lasted for like, a whole second. :lol This shit is locked and it's beautiful.

By the way, are we sure this game's at 30fps? I'm usually a player who can notice the difference, and I thought I was looking at 60 this whole time. :lol
It's smooth 30fps, you can tell easily by your eyes that it isn't 60fps. But yeah, the visuals are unbelievable. I was just playing this certain level and for a second I thought my TV and PS3 are gonna explode due to the too-much-to-handle awesome graphics. The art direction and vibrant feel of the visuals make them superior to real life's imo. :lol

Kintaro said:
Well, the newest Invisible Walls (GameTrailer's vidcast/podcast thing) talked about their Uncharted 2 Review (which was Shane Satterfield's review). They also has the guy who wrote the Demon's Souls review come on to "defend" his review too... (Shane: "When I got back from vacation, I saw the review and said "Hmmm...that's pretty high.") :lol

Anyways, long story short, according to Shane, GT will always score and skew games scores higher for games that are "original and offer value" more than anything else. According to him, 9.3 is the highest score a game like UC2, "which does absolutely nothing new or original and plays it as safe as possible", will ever receive.

Of course, there's absolutely nothing on the site that states how GT reviews their games and what they value over what so how were people supposed to know? :lol

So, he addressed it anyway, but without really addressing it. We'll see how this holds up with more sequels hit this year.

Does Shane seem like a total hack to anyone else? Invisible Walls is certainly far from being the best podcast altogether, but I really can't stand the commentary from Shane Satterfield.

Calavera520 said:
Does Shane seem like a total hack to anyone else? Invisible Walls is certainly far from being the best podcast altogether, but I really can't stand the commentary from Shane Satterfield.

His reasoning RE: originality has so many logical holes that it reads more like a poor excuse than an actual reasonable point of view.

Seriously, if this "logic" was applied to cinema, Martin Scorcese has never made a movie deserving more than 9.3. All of Scorcese's stories are familiar to the same level as Uncharted's story. Often, they are more familiar, as they often feature variations of familiar stories and/or characters.

To say they can't be great as a result is asinine.

Applied to games, Halo is a Heinlein knock-off, GTA was knocking everything else off, ect. ect. ect.

Sometimes brilliant performance and execution and craft are worth more than an attempt at some farcical sense of "originality," (since there is really nothing new under the sun if your story involves human characters,) and for Satterfield to think this is actually a reasonable notion is just more all-too-common gaming-"journalist" buffoonery.

Kittonwy said:
Not sure why they would say it's not risky when they're basically juggling three gameplay systems (cover-based combat/puzzles/platforming), THREE modes (SP/MP/co-op) and trying to do EVERYTHING well, many games can't even do ONE well, they did ALL of them well. And it's not like they can go a completely different direction given an action-adventure game is what it is, if they made something completely different, it wouldn't be Uncharted.
Indifferent2.gif

Good point. There are risks here.

And getting back to the point of originality, I'd say that development at this level of excellence across the board, the overall "polish" as it is often called, is fucking far from common in gaming.

Pristine_Condition said:
H

Applied to games, Halo is a Heinlein knock-off, GTA was knocking everything else off, ect. ect. ect.
Actually, just watched a review of another game that just released, and while they admit that it isnt bringing anything fundamentally new to the table, they word it so that it doesnt sound like a critique. (it's sticking with what's proven to work, GT says) Whereas the Uncharted review, they say not a lick of innovation or originality...talk about inconsistency.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
dragonflys545 said:
Me! PSN:fireflys545

Edit: Damn

I don't think Jsnake is on now, we started the game when he replied that message. I'll add you and invite you. We're starting a 2nd game

Also, we completed a co-op match on
Santuary
on normal...holy shit, intense. These levels are like Left 4 Dead size. 36 minutes it took to beat the level.

ashism

I have a copy of uncharted 2 in my hands.
Anyone in Long Beach, CA PM me. I know a location.
They close in 15 I believe, but they'll have plenty of copies for tomorrow.

Edit: Do some of you have the game already? Lets freaking play!

psn: smashism

Leave me a message with your gaf name, I'm tired of the lurkers adding me.

Zeliard

Dizzan said:
Sorry but how can you forget Ratchet and Clank. It looks amazing, and all the flaws from the original have been addressed (harder difficulty, trophies, new weapons).

I hope it doesn't bomb because Insomniac have really listened to the fans and made an excellent game. I hope the demo increases the hype.

True, just slipped my mind. I liked Tools of Destruction a lot. It was the first (and only, other than Quest for Booty) Ratchet & Clank game I've played, though, so I can't compare it to the past titles.

Ydahs

Is it just me or was aiming much easier in Uncharted in comparison to the beta?

Maybe I've been spoiled by PC gaming.

Just got home from a long day out.. and i picked this up

Brooklyn New York, on the corner of 86st and Bay Parkway.. Game Zone.. 19 copies left after i picked mine up.. sorry i couldn't let you guys know earlier.

Yoboman

DevelopmentArrested said:
I never understand why people would post specific stores that broke the street date on the Internet...
So people in the area can get it? What's wrong with that?

ashism

Yoboman said:
Thank you.

Exactly, why would I want to tell the gaf lurker army about it? It's only one store with so many copies, I'd rather them go to gaffers.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
dragonflys545 said:
Co-op is sOo good! holy shit great game wario64 and ezekial.

Man you missed the first game. The 3rd map is by far the best and hardest one. Co-op is tons of fun. I didn't think I would like co-op objectives compared to survival but it's almost like playing an intense single player campaign scenario...but with 2 other people!

Co-op = holy fucking shit

Yoboman

ashism said:
Thank you.

Exactly, why would I want to tell the gaf lurker army about it? It's only one store with so many copies, I'd rather them go to gaffers.
Doesn't make a big difference, the game is out in two days anyhow. If you can get 19 people the game, does it matter who they are?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This next week is going to be so fucking amazing. Brutal Legend and Uncharted 2 -- I'm in gaming heaven.

Blader

JSnake said:
why would crushing be easier than hard?? I've never played crushing but how does that even make sense?

Maybe because you're more careful?

I know that with Halo 3, the last two levels were actually easier for me on Legendary than on Normal/Heroic because I was being more careful and taking my time instead of just rushing into things.

crunker99

I know everyone will jump down my throat, but I just finished the game and it is quite possibly the single best ps3 game I have ever played. I loved every second of it, and recommend it to everyone any anyone.

If the game has a flaw it is that combat is 1 tad too repetitive

but really thats just nitpicking.

This game is fantastic, and u get two hot broads for the price of 1!

Yoboman said:
Because a Mom n Pop store can get blowback via big fine or burned by supplier? If it's a random Big Box... no big deal. Hell I'm still waiting on that PM from Kabuki about the store in Toronto. But posting out in public? Stupid.

Because a Mom n Pop store can get blowback via big fine or burned by supplier? If it's a random Big Box... no big deal. Hell I'm still waiting on that PM from Kabuki about the store in Toronto. But posting out in public? Stupid.

damn man sorry was busy playing.

just incredible

Firestorm

Rez said:
This next week is going to be so fucking amazing. Brutal Legend and Uncharted 2 -- I'm in gaming heaven.
Yep! I even have them on different platforms so I can switch between the two with no disc swaps!

Yoboman

reggie1.jpg

McLovin

I hate pre-ordering games.. everyone usually gets the games before the release date :(
Could someone PM me a store location thats selling it early? Preferably in NY-CT area?

Also I got through Crushing on Drakes Fortune fairly quickly. Hard took me a while, but being more careful and using cover more effectively helped me breeze through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom