• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 direct feed screens

vpance said:
It's incredible how much they've managed to achieve with only 512mb of ram. I'd love to see the new technical pdf of details.

Seeing as much as they update the firmware, I wonder if it would be possible to do a video driver update or such.

Goddamn. Those screens make me ache for a PS3. Too beautiful. The textures, the polys, the lighting, the everything. So organic. So alive. God, how I wish this and Versus weren't the only games I like on the PS3, then I'd have a reason to buy the console. Give me a trilogy of Uncharted then maybe I'll go Home.

Callibretto said:
in comparison, I just recently start playing Tomb Raide Underworld and that game is just ridiculous in the supernatural element. just early on, Lara saw a giant squid (or octopus, don't care) and she doesn't even felt surprise or fear. if it was Nathan, he'd say something like 'what the hell is that thing!', then, not long after that, Lara got artifact that magically attach to her hand, again, no alert there. and in the ship, she saw a woman with wings!!!, what the hell is that. I'm so not following Tomb Raider story by now and actually felt kinda put off by it. I haven't continued playing since that level.
About the 'reactions', Lara, in the Tomb Raider universe, has already seen too many supernatural things in her lifetime ever since Tomb Raider I (she had to frickin fight a T-Rex early on in the game). In Tomb Raider II, she faced it off with a fire-breathing dragon. And so on. She also wielded super-powered Excalibur in VII, by the way, so Lara never really has any reason to go all "holy shit wat is this?!" like how you say Nathan Will if her life's been practically about discovering supernatural things.

Looks incredible!

I also really enjoyed the music/score from the first game. I think it was overlooked since most people always talk about the graphics.

iam220

iDoubleSpy said:
Seeing as much as they update the firmware, I wonder if it would be possible to do a video driver update or such.
I would guess that the video driver is actually embedded into the firmware.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
aysims.jpg

Uncharted111!!!111

You know, given that we've had a boost in graphics for Uncharted 2... I REALLY hope that doesn't mean more screen tearing than what was in the first Uncharted. In fact, I hope they got rid of it completely. But that could be very wishful thinking.

Also on a side note, relating to the recent trailer... no one says "Oh Crap" like our Nathan Drake. :D

nny

The screens are beautiful, but I'd like to see more screens of platforming and less of shooting. Anyway, it's going to be a looong wait.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I guess everyone knows by now but:

The game is set in India.

One of the buses in the concept art has the Tata Motors company logo on it, which is an Indian company and they make buses for India.

I'm more interested in the cover story for GI. Maybe I should scan them in for here. They talk about the improved combat system and how you'll be able to interact with the world

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gofreak said:
Seems to depend on the angle of the lines of the shadow edges.
To be specific, it depends on the angle of shadow casting light relative to the shadow-receiver. And that's how it is in every game (when using shadowmaps). Some are just better at distributing resolution then others, original Uncharted was already a big step above most games in that department.

CrazzyMan

Banned
omg, looks GREAT!
There was some logic in spending more money on 1st-2nd party exclusives, than on buying games after all. =)
Sony delivers.
Yet, this is only what ND made on 2nd PS3 year, there still one year ahead.

p.s. Just screen from 1st game.)
p1000780ia9lf1.jpg

iDoubleSpy said:
I'm more interested in the cover story for GI. Maybe I should scan them in for here. They talk about the improved combat system and how you'll be able to interact with the world

Scans are banned here, my friend....

DigitalSoul said:
Scans are banned here, my friend....

I was too lazy to hook up the printer anyway!

I read all the faqs for the site, cant believe I missed that...

oh maybe cuz it took 2 weeks to get activated :D

LM4sure

Banned
Looks good. I still need to play the original though. Waiting until I can pick it up for $20 or less though. Hopefully it won't be long

Durante

Looks great especially in terms of environment detail, I expected nothing less from ND.

arne said:
These are direct feed.
No they are not. Please let's not muddy up technical terms to further marketing. A "direct feed" screenshot is a copy of the resolved framebuffer taken from a running game. No game on any current generation console will ever have impeccable image quality like that in these screenshots together with that level of detail/lighting/shadows. I wish they did.

this guy

All I can say is wow! I'm loving the use of color in the city setting.

Now that I can afford a PS3, these kinds of threads may just push me over the edge. :lol

sajj316

CrazzyMan said:
omg, looks GREAT!
There was some logic in spending more money on 1st-2nd party exclusives, than on buying games after all. =)
Sony delivers.

CrazzyMan ... on GAF, welcome bud!

This game shows the age of Tomb Raider: Underworld ALREADY. It's sad to think I actually gave my time up to play a game I still had a special place for.

At this point, Crystal D must be getting ready to rip off this game. Its such ashame to see a good company scarmble while Naughy Dog is doing this with ease.

arne

Durante said:
No they are not. Please let's not muddy up technical terms to further marketing. A "direct feed" screenshot is a copy of the resolved framebuffer taken from a running game. No game on any current generation console will ever have impeccable image quality like that in these screenshots together with that level of detail/lighting/shadows. I wish they did.

we didn't touch the lighting, animation, texture, shader, post-processing, etc., etc. systems when taking these screens during actual gameplay.

doubt and challging us is healthy though, so no worries. we've got a year ahead of us to show the proof in the pudding once everything is in place.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
arne said:
we didn't touch the lighting, animation, texture, shader, post-processing, etc., etc. systems when taking these screens during actual gameplay.

doubt and challging us is healthy though, so no worries. we've got a year ahead of us to show the proof in the pudding once everything is in place.
Nice. I believe you Arne and I trust in Naughty Dogg!
+1 for Durante though, you sly sob. :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Good god. Uncharted 2 looks fucking fantastic. I can't wait to see more!

(also, go India!)

Doc Evils

arne said:

:O :eek: :eek: :eek:

EktorPR

arne said:

:D

dfyb

Banned
the only difference in these screens is likely the aliasing, which is fairly typical of released screenshots. aliasing in uncharted wasn't a big problem, so i wouldn't sweat it -- game looks amazing.

nib95

Banned
arne said:

Ding ding!

jett

D-Member
arne said:

Is the DOF in-game too? Kinda aggressive for gameplay.

Durante

arne said:
I said all the above and the IMAGE QUALITY. With everything I know about 3D graphics I tell you: that won't happen. And that's why you shouldn't call it "direct feed". It's an in-engine "realtime-like" render at (if I had to guess) something like 5120*2880.

rexor0717

CrazzyMan said:
omg, looks GREAT!
Sony delivers.

p1000780ia9lf1.jpg
No matter how many time I have played the game, the graphics still wow me more than a year later. I still firmly believe that nothing on the market today bests it. That's almost CG good. Of course not all the areas in the game are that nice, but this one sure is eye-candy.

arne said:

give us something fresh to look at!

I happened to enjoy the GI picture of Drake pulling that dude off the roof splinter cell style! that would SOO be my new wallpaper

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
rexor0717 said:
No matter how many time I have played the game, the graphics still wow me more than a year later. I still firmly believe that nothing on the market today bests it. That's almost CG good. Of course not all the areas in the game are that nice, but this one sure is eye-candy.

I think that's the real proof of good art design and good technology. If it still impresses you years after you play it, you've got a winner. See also: MGS2.

Raistlin

Cellbomber said:
Looks incredible!

I also really enjoyed the music/score from the first game. I think it was overlooked since most people always talk about the graphics.

Nah ... If you participate in any of the audiogaf gaming threads, it's always listed as one of the top games ... specifically the LPCM.

Onix said:

Well seeing as I know nothing about a consoles architecture, I just wen't with my natural thought of being able to upgrade RSX through a fireware upgrade.

I'm sure Nivida developed a killer graphics card 3 years ago, but I'm sure they've already found a way to make the RSX a better chip.

rexor0717

thetrin said:
I think that's the real proof of good art design and good technology. If it still impresses you years after you play it, you've got a winner. See also: MGS2.
When I go through the various areas, it really feels like this was once something. In many other games, it feels like the environment is just there so you can walk over it. But the Uncharted environments are more bold and they really grab your attention. Also, the inclusion of the relics makes you feel like someone was here many years ago. It all comes together very well.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mason said:
I've never gotten into the cartooney, saturated, plastic look of Uncharted. :/
Do you even know how to judge graphics? You are far from where Uncharted sits in the visual spectrum. Try Ratchet for your description.

ArtOfLife said:
I've been meaning to do just that actually :D Well, the first one especially. I loved the official PS2 magazine's Jak demo way back in like 2001 or whenever it was released; for some reason I never got the full game.

Gotcha.

-Jak 1 is very much like Mario 64 but in a completely awesome, story driven way. (Get all the Precursor stuff!!!)
-Jak 2 is more story driven and you could tell they cranked up the quality of graphics and animation. It's very "GTA-esque" but still very awesome. One of the hardest games on the PS2.
-Jak 3 is to me a perfect balance of shooting, driving, and platforming. Man I loves me this game.

I've sold off most of my PS2 stuff but these games will never be sold. They're really great so I hope you get some time to check 'em out. I <3 Naughty Dog.

Buckethead said:
Gotcha.

-Jak 1 is very much like Mario 64 but in a completely awesome, story driven way. (Get all the Precursor stuff!!!)
-Jak 2 is more story driven and you could tell they cranked up the quality of graphics and animation. It's very "GTA-esque" but still very awesome. One of the hardest games on the PS2.
-Jak 3 is to me a perfect balance of shooting, driving, and platforming. Man I loves me this game.

I've sold off most of my PS2 stuff but these games will never be sold. They're really great so I hope you get some time to check 'em out. I <3 Naughty Dog.

I think I started Jak 2 and stopped when I had to do the speedracer stuff. For some reason I couldnt get passed the whole "GTA-esque" concept.

Jak 3 was purly brilliant for the fact that is switched up gameplay mechanics all the time. I never got 5 hours into any of the Jak games.

*Fingers Crossed for PSN downloadble PS2 games*

rancor

Neo Member
rexor0717 said:
No matter how many time I have played the game, the graphics still wow me more than a year later. I still firmly believe that nothing on the market today bests it.

you see this? these sorts of comments? that's where all the bullshit like screen shot wars and pages of endless bickering begins. uncharted looks very good but is most definitely NOT the best looking game on the market today. what bests it? crysis bests it. now stop this please.

Top Bottom