• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 MP Confirmed!

JoJo13

Banned
Raist said:
So I guess the beta won't start before july at the earliest. Can we expect infos on MP before that? E3?

We get info on Monday morning.

And the beta starts in June if that image is correct.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So much crow is gonna be eaten.
MP is gonna rock!!!!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DestinRL said:
I'd much rather see people eat crow, but crown could be just as unpleasant. :)
:lol
Fixed it!
That happens when you post at 12:09 AM!
Time to sleep.:lol

Jtrizzy

I gotta get in the MAG beta. I'm hoping/assuming it will be big since it's 256 person mp game.

I've read up on it quite a bit and it sounds awesome. I just hope there is some spacing between it, Uncharted 2, and COD4.

Pojo

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
By the way, about the Uncanny Valley, it's my opinion that Gears never really approaches it due to it being firmly video game cutscene material. Well directed, well acted and with a good story to present, but the production, animation and such is definitely video game of the action comic sort. Naughty Dog attempted to cross the bridge, and by nearly succeeding they really thrust themselves into the Uncanny Valley with full force.
So basically, ND should cut back on the production values with Uncharted 2?

Give me a break.

mr_nothin

Banned
Pojo said:

Give me a break.
I get what he means with Gears....but not with Uncharted. They arent trying to be REALISTIC...so im not sure of how it can be uncanny...

Shins

Banned
haters.gif

Pojo said:

Give me a break.

That's not even almost what I'm saying. What I am saying is that people really shouldn't bring up the Uncanny Valley effect in reference to other games if their goal is to for some reason "defend" Uncharted. "Stylized" characters or not, the facial animation is close enough yet also just far enough away from being naturally human that it falls into the Uncanny Valley. More so than the game that the comment was originally aimed at.

Maybe if you guys weren't so happy to rip on other games in order to elevate your own golden idols, people would treat said idols a bit more gently?

AltogetherAndrews you haven't convinced anybody but yourself that Gears story is on par with Uncharted.

I like Gears and Killzone more overall but that's because playing the game with a buddy is such a blast in Gears and MP in Killzone 2 is awesome, gameplay on these games are superb, graphics on these games are superb, storyline and acting in Uncharted is superior, Gears suffer from the fucking Killzone 2 fucking cheesy fucking lines and fucking bad fucking acting.

I could actually empathize with Nathan Drake, Sully and Elena whereas I couldn't give 2 shits or 3 fucks about Marcus Fenix, Santiago and co or Sev, Rico and co, the only character I had any kinda empathy in either Killzone or Gears was killed off anyways.

Really, you're the only person I know that has played both Gears and Uncharted and thinks Gears storyline and acting is on par with Uncharted, just look at this thread, either everybody else is wrong and you're right or you're just too big of a Gears fanboy. Not saying Uncharted story and acting is Oscar worthy or anything, but it's way better than the other 2 games I mentioned.

AranhaHunter said:
Gears suffer from the fucking Killzone 2 fucking cheesy fucking lines and fucking bad fucking acting.

You really should have made that the first line in your post, would have saved me some less than inspired reading. Good grief. Not only is the "bad fucking acting" absolutely ridiculous, but "cheesy fucking lines," said to somehow elevate Uncharted of all games above really any other game? Not that I mind it because, hey, it works, but Uncharted is absolutely littered with common cheese. :lol

N30RYU

-Multiplayer co-op for 3 players. Different story than single player. Zones/actions in the map requiered for 2/3 players. Mini bosses in each section. Players will revive after a few seconds (less if the other players help to revive)

-Deathmatch. 4vs4 you can choose two skills. And you need to explore like in Uncharted 1 to find the strongest weapons.

-Capture the treasure, is like CTF. 4vs4 trying to steal treasures from the enemy base.

AltogetherAndrews said:
You really should have made that the first line in your post, would have saved me some less than inspired reading. Good grief. Not only is the "bad fucking acting" absolutely ridiculous, but "cheesy fucking lines," said to somehow elevate Uncharted of all games above really any other game? Not that I mind it because, hey, it works, but Uncharted is absolutely littered with common cheese. :lol

Right, everybody is wrong and you're right.

AranhaHunter said:
Right, everybody is wrong and you're right.

Evidently. You just claimed that Gears is too cheesy, in some poorly assembled argument for Uncharted. Uncharted presents several hours of borrowed, hokey dialog propelling a borrowed, hokey storyline. I loved that about the game, much like I love how perfectly realized the characters in Gears are in all their cheesiness, but then I'm not the one desperate to tear down the competition here in some effort to paint the golden idol as somehow uniquely remarkable.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Evidently. You just claimed that Gears is too cheesy, in some poorly assembled argument for Uncharted. Uncharted presents several hours of borrowed, hokey dialog propelling a borrowed, hokey storyline. I loved that about the game, much like I love how perfectly realized the characters in Gears are in all their cheesiness, but then I'm not the one desperate to tear down the competition here in some effort to paint the golden idol as somehow uniquely remarkable.

:lol

JoJo13

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

It pretty much is uniquely remarkable when it comes to cutscene production value. Only MGS4 could be comparable in certain parts. Gears, KZ...They're not even close, but you can try and equate the two as much as you want (they're both cheesy, therefore, they're equal in quality? err...not really).

You're in the vast minority regarding that opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xJ6WqSsf7A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2gQn8wQDT8

vs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8blYPmj2U0

is like night vs. day in terms of production values and quality of cinematic presentation (cutscenes, etc).

JoJo13 said:
It pretty much is uniquely remarkable when it comes to cutscene production value. Only MGS4 could be comparable in certain parts. Gears, KZ...They're not even close, but you can try and equate the two as much as you want (they're both cheesy, therefore, they're equal in quality? err...not really).

vs.

is like night vs. day in terms of production values and quality of cinematic presentation (cutscenes, etc).

We've already been through this. I've already acknowledged that the production and the cinematic quality of the cut-scenes are not equal between the games, but the combination of the quality of the in-game dialog, story, and character strength helps make Gears an equally engrossing single player experience. And again, I haven't brought either Uncanny Valley nor the wrongs or rights of cheese into this argument, so don't bleed too much of that martyr blood when your poorly advised points of criticism backfire.

Just for kicks, here is the original quote I responded to:

Have you ever seen a game that has multiplayer while also having a compelling, well paced, well acted, well written Single player like Uncharted?

JoJo13 said:

vs.

After watching those clips: Uncharted >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Killzone 2 >>>Gears 1 and 2 in terms of presentation.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
JoJo13 said:

vs.

wtf was this gears stuff? man-love-drama???

but uncharted really feels way better... then the two...

DevilWillcry said:
After watching those clips: Uncharted >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Killzone 2 >>>Gears 1 and 2 in terms of presentation.

KZ2 fails horribly in its writing and delivery, especially the in-game dialog. I had to eventually shut it off entirely due to it being so embarrassingly forced and all around shit. KZ2 is really the best example of how much of a success Gears of War is. Other than the love story, which is crap, the team dynamics in Gears is spot on.

JoJo13

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
blah blah blah

Just for kicks, here is the original quote I responded to:

I understand that was the quote you were responding to, and I largely agree with the main point of that quote -- yes you can have a good single player experience AND have a good multiplayer experience. And yes, Gears 1/2 proves that.

I was just saying that I think Uncharted is clearly on another level when it comes to its storytelling. You seem to believe that Uncharted is being 'oversold' in that respect, and that other games can somehow manage to hold a candle to our supposed 'golden idol', when in reality Uncharted's quality production is a rarity when most games (even big blockbuster projects like KZ2 and Gears) simply are not that level of quality.

AltogetherAndrews said:
KZ2 fails horribly in its writing and delivery, especially the in-game dialog. I had to eventually shut it off entirely due to it being so embarrassingly forced and all around shit. KZ2 is really the best example of how much of a success Gears of War is. Other than the love story, which is crap, the team dynamics in Gears is spot on.

You really are insane....Gears has the same flaws that KZ2 has in that regard. The team dynamics in Gears are completely forgettable and forced "wooooo baby! look at all dat juice!"...ugh...and the sterotypes the game has are even worse. I guess KZ2's problem, in your eyes, is that the dialog isn't outrageous enough.

AltogetherAndrews said:

eh, the way the story played out in uncharted and the manner in which the characters 'acted' their roles in uncharted absolutely tanked gears...gears story was forgettable icing the gameplay... no interesting characters, no dialogue beyond grunts...

Your assertion about uncanny valley makes no sense to me at all either...a game like crysis approaches uncanny valley because the models look so realistic, yet don't always animate particularly well (given the standard)...uncharted was 3d comic in style (gears seemed more in line with the warhammer table top models in style) and animated far better than gears...it was more convincing across the board...

I agree that the story in gears delivers what is required given the premise...but it absolutely breaks down under any scrutiny, and, away from the game, doesnt bare any consideration really.... KZ2 doesnt really have a plot, just some contextual cutscenes... whats there isnt anywhere near as bad as you describe...just there isn't really enough to constitute much of anything

JoJo13 said:
I understand that was the quote you were responding to, and I largely agree with the main point of that quote -- yes you can have a good single player experience AND have a good multiplayer experience. And yes, Gears 1/2 proves that.

I was just saying that I think Uncharted is clearly on another level when it comes to its storytelling. You seem to believe that Uncharted is being 'oversold' in that respect, and that other games can somehow manage to hold a candle to our supposed 'golden idol', when in reality Uncharted's quality production is a rarity when most games (even big blockbuster projects like KZ2 and Gears) simply are not that level of quality.

I think it's vastly oversold, for the reasons you can see on this page. For one, for all its production values, it's a far more fitting example of the Uncanny Valley effect than the game you leveled the criticism against. And then you have some dude who bitches about the cheesiness of one in order to elevate a game that is fundamentally based on being unoriginal, hokey and cheesy, with more cheeseball one-liners than you can shake a stick at. When damned near every point of criticism can be deflected back at the favored product, then yes, I think it's given a free pass to the throne around here.

But my point has never been purely cut-scene quality, but the overall value as a single player game with good writing and acting, which you apparently took issue with. When you look the strengths and weaknesses of the two, they are absolutely their equals.

JoJo13 said:
You really are insane....Gears has the same flaws that KZ2 has in that regard. The team dynamics in Gears are completely forgettable and forced "wooooo baby! look at all dat juice!"...ugh...and the sterotypes the game has are even worse. I guess KZ2's problem, in your eyes, is that the dialog isn't outrageous enough.

No, my problem with it is that it's completely unnatural and down right shitty. Delivery and the sheer content of the dialog is way the fuck off, and it's not helped by the fact that overarching story is poorly developed, poorly presented pap. It feels like a stab at American action by a European studio with a shit director, basically.

nelsonroyale said:
uncharted was 3d comic in style

Not stylized enough, that's the problem. It looks better than Gears, that's for sure, but it also looks unnatural, a feeling that increases in weight the more they attempt to refine the expressions. You can attempt to argue it away, but it's pretty blatantly there in the footage I linked to.

nelsonroyale said:
KZ2 doesnt really have a plot, just some contextual cutscenes... whats there isnt anywhere near as bad as you describe...just there isn't really enough to constitute much of anything

What it does have is some of the most god awful in-game dialog and most laughable squad dynamic that gamers have ever been subjected to. Guerrilla should be ashamed of this.

And by the way, if there was any truth to the notion that sharing resources will make the SP suffer, then I'd sure as hell hope that it would cause ND to not have time to implement anything as shitty as the
mutant alien trigen twist shit
. Gamebreaking shit right there, something I would have expected from a first time developer.

mr_nothin

Banned
TTP said:
I can't be the only one who though those were SP pics with screen names photoshopped on it :lol
At 1st it looked iffy...especially the treasure that they're carrying. But I dont remember seeing these screens anywhere.

Hmmmm, they may be shops, they have an unusual amount of artifact'ing around the names and "HUD". Could be added by the devs though.

mr_nothin said:
At 1st it looked iffy...especially the treasure that they're carrying. But I dont remember seeing these screens anywhere.

Hmmmm, they may be shops, they have an unusual amount of artifact'ing around the names and "HUD". Could be added by the devs though.

Actually, TTP meant that the MP screens are looking as good as the SP.

EDIT: I meant good not look :p

deepbrown

JoJo13 said:

vs.

Heavenly Sword....they're at the very top.

And peeps I meant questions for the dawgs not me!

mr_nothin

Banned
deepbrown said:
Heavenly Sword....they're at the very top.

And peeps I meant questions for the dawgs not me!
You should ask if working on Multiplayer affected the Singleplayer in ANY way, shape, or form. Just for shits and giggles. :lol

Also, ask them how they allocated the team differently...with the newly added multiplayer mode. How many people worked on SP and how many on MP. Also, ask them how much longer/better SP would have been if they didnt add MP.

Lince

Banned
N30RYU said:
-Multiplayer co-op for 3 players. Different story than single player. Zones/actions in the map requiered for 2/3 players. Mini bosses in each section. Players will revive after a few seconds (less if the other players help to revive)

-Deathmatch. 4vs4 you can choose two skills. And you need to explore like in Uncharted 1 to find the strongest weapons.

-Capture the treasure, is like CTF. 4vs4 trying to steal treasures from the enemy base.

:O

deepbrown

mr_nothin said:
You should ask if working on Multiplayer affected the Singleplayer in ANY way, shape, or form. Just for shits and giggles. :lol

Also, ask them how they allocated the team differently...with the newly added multiplayer mode. How many people worked on SP and how many on MP. Also, ask them how much longer/better SP would have been if they didnt add MP.
PM me. easier for me to archive. Cheers.

great single player games having tacky multiplayer modes slapped on for good measure are one of my pet peeves.

always big props to bioshock.

Jtrizzy

HorribleJames said:
great single player games having tacky multiplayer modes slapped on for good measure are one of my pet peeves.

always big props to bioshock.

LOL you can't even get follow the hive correctly. It's "tacked on" multiplayer modes, which Bioshock 2 has, so unless you are trying to make a distinction between co op and multiplayer you might want to do some research.

Jtrizzy said:
LOL you can't even get follow the hive correctly. It's "tacked on" multiplayer modes, which Bioshock 2 has, so unless you are trying to make a distinction between co op and multiplayer you might want to do some research.

I don't recall me saying "bioshock 2".

and I'm so not following the hive that I didn't even read any replies in this thread. I'm just tired of silly deathmatch modes tacked onto games just for the hell of it.

and ps, I do make a distinction between co-op in the main game and special stupid multiplayer modes thrown on.

Top Bottom