• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 vs Mass Effect 2: Which game had the best single player experience?

Which game had the best single player experience?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I remember when Uncharted 2 was released back in 2009, it still being a relatively new IP, became the PlayStation biggest newest IP. And now the Uncharted IP is one of the biggest PlayStation franchises, perhaps one of the biggest gaming franchises of these times.

I remember back after Uc2 released, a few months later came Me2 and in the words of LP from technobuffalo, "shared Uc2's pedestal." Indeed, they both have a 96 on metacritic.

then Greg Miller comes out with this stupidass article about how Me2's better than Uc2, (not saying Me2 isn't > Uc2, in fact I can't say which one is better, which is why I made this thread, but we'll get to that later) and he says how the one time he felt the suspense in Uc2 "...wasn't until the "grenade scene" near the end of Uncharted 2 that I really had an "OMG, what happens next?!?!" moment. Meanwhile, Mass Effect 2 is filled with those moments."

And je also talks about how you can actually put some input on the campaign while Uncharted doesn't let you meddle with the story at all whatsoever, and that's why ultimately Me2 got a slightly higher score than Uc2. However, the only reason I'm calling him out on all this is because this same fucking guy gives Uc3 a 10/10. Uh, so now it's better than Mass Effect even though you still give no input during the playthrough?

Anyways, for myself, I think both of these games are among the defining games of the 7th generation, and I really can't tell which has the better story. I also had to wait over a year after release to play Me2 since it was a timed 360 exclusive. I admit the replay value of Uc2 mostly came with the multiplayer, and Me2's replay value came with being able to play it differently.

What do you say?

RoKKeR

Mass Effect 2, and I don't think it's close to be honest. Uncharted 2 is an amazing game that is a thrill to play, but ME2 feels so much more substantial and impactful.

And that last 90 minute section... man, unbeatable.

Mass Effect 2's controls and shooting mechanics were nowhere near as good as Uncharted's. Mass Effect 3 improved on this considerably, but it's just not as polished in ME2. That gives Uncharted a pretty big edge.

I don't see how you could really compare those two games.
I enjoyed mass effect 2 more due to me being more invested in the characters and using the vanguard powers for combat.

Persona7

Banned
I played ME2 quite a bit more so I have to choose that. The DLC was also really good.

I like the story in both games but ME2 also offers better replay value

Uncharted 2 executes what it attempts to do much MUCH better than ME2. They are very different games but comparing each in their respective genres and U2 is probably the best or one of the best ever TPS.

ME2 aims higher but its not a great RPG nor is it a great shooter.

No question U2.

Juice

They were both really good. And both had similar stagecraft... On repeat playthroughs of either some of the magic was lost because it became clear that both were more linear/scripted than they let on. That said, UC2 was more honest about that and less ambitious in areas it didn't execute well. I'd give it to UC2 for sure.

Hugstable

Banned
I really liked Mass Effect 2, but it still disappointed me after how much I enjoyed the gameplay in Mass Effect 1. But Uncharted 2, that game was something else for me and my buddy when it released. We got straight up addicted to the game and both played through it, and we both ended up beating the game within 48 hours. I haven't even touched the game again since a month after release (I've beaten the game twice, which is rare for me to do with a TPS) but the game is still freshly imprinted on my brain. Everything just went together well, the comedy, the adventure, the gameplay, the climbing, etc. It was all just so damn amazing during release

Uncharted 2 IMO

mass effect 2 had a really horrible story that had almost nothing to do with the whole plot it was mainly a bunch fo recruiting missions.

Mass Effect 1 on the other hand was 10/10 amazing.

MavFan619

Banned
I dug both. Only one of them is a classic to me, a gaming experience I point to as gen defining (along with SF4 series.) That game is Uncharted 2.

Game4life

Banned
Uncharted 2 executes what it attempts to do much MUCH better than ME2. They are very different games but comparing each in their respective genres and U2 is probably the best or one of the best ever TPS.

No question U2.

Pretty much my problem with ME2 as well. It is def more ambitious than UC2 but its execution leaves a lot to be desired. Also knowing how the story ended in ME3 makes it even worse in my opinion and automatically disqualifies ME from being included in the all time greats of last gen discussion. luckily UC3 being shit does not impact UC2
s greatness simply because they are stand alone stories.

Are you going to call me a stupid ass if I share Greg millers opinion?

I literally played ME2 for a whole year straight. So yes I think its better experience

Daingurse

Mass Effect 2 for me, there is no question. I fucking love that game, man. It's my favorite game from last-gen overall. Uncharted 2 was excellent, and is easily amongst my favorite games of the previous generation, but Mass Effect 2 simply resonated with me more.

Uncharted 2 by a mile.

Uncharted 2 build on tis core gameplay from the first game.

Mass Effect 2 in a lot of ways was better then the first one, but the RPG elements felt dumbed down compared to the first one. Plus it had that dumb mining mini game.

mp1990

Banned
Mass effect 2,and it's not even close. I really liked Uncharted 2 but ME2 is one of my favorite games ever,can't compare the two.

foxdvd

ME2 easy..the better fight in my opinion is Last of Us vs Mass Effect 2. I just felt like I was watching the greatest game of all time and not playing it when I played Uncharted 2...

Eightguy

Neo Member
Uncharted 2 had some great cinematic moments and multiplayer (at first), but as a single player experience ME2 was the game of the generation for me. I completed that game more than any other in recent memory. The ending was AMAZING IMO.

Uncharted 2, I don't even know how this can be a serious question (and I've played both games).

UC2 had perhaps the best-written single player of any game last gen. The setpieces were absurdly memorable and amazingly fun, and the storyline was written in a way very few games could even hope to execute.

Yes, the final level of the game (and final boss) were utter trash... but I felt the same against ME2's. The design was pretty sick though, won't lie.

RibMan

Uncharted 2 has the better experience. Mass Effect 2 is a great game but it felt like a rushed experience, whereas UC2 had an unbelievably well-paced campaign.

braves01

Banned
ME2 sucked on PS3, glitches galore.

Uncharted 2, hands down just for functionality

Gameplay wise they're both average, and U2 has better spectacle.

truth411

No question U2.
/Thread.

Alo0oy

Banned
Uncharted 2 was more fun to play, although ME2 was fun to play as well, the combat wasn't as thrilling & satisfying as Uncharted 2.

Not to mention the Multiplayer before the inevitable patch.

This is a weird comparison for a lot of reasons. I'm not sure how you would go about "picking" a winner. This is like the ultimate example of subjectivity.

I guess for me, as much as I enjoyed the experience of UC2, I think that I got much more invested into the world of ME2. The single-player of UC2 is a masterclass of thrills, design and storytelling, but for whatever reason I think ME2 got a little more "embedded" into my head. But really, even if I "pick" one, it's still kind of a tossup.

nib95

Banned
Whilst I absolutely loved ME2, I've completed UC2 maybe 4-5 times, and never tired of it. It's honestly one of my all time favourite games, and the pacing, coupled with the globe trotting, over the top adventurous nature, is just second to none in the genre. It's one of those games that during my first play through, made me giddy and full of excitement, reminiscent of gaming in my younger days.

Mass Effect 2. It's not that UC2 is bad, it's just that I can't go on missions with my space bros Garrus, Legion and Mordin. It's not like UC2 even has a big gameplay advantage; the core shooting is better but it doesn't have the skill tree, biotics / tech powers, dialogue system, varied side quests and so on.

Factor in DLC and it becomes a total curb stomp with Lair of the Shadow Broker + Overlord.

Awntawn

Cake is better then ice cream. So yeah he is right.

If cake is better than ice cream, then why is ice cream cake better than normal cake?
Mass Effect 2. It's not that UC2 is bad, it's just that I can't go on missions with my space bros Garrus, Legion and Mordin. It's not like UC2 even has a big gameplay advantage; the core shooting is better but it doesn't have the skill tree, biotics / tech powers, dialogue system, varied side quests and so on.

Factor in DLC and it becomes a total curb stomp with Lair of the Shadow Broker + Overlord.
Honestly, the thing that made Uncharted 2 such a great single-player experience was the moment to moment pacing and the in-game set pieces. It's a much harder call when you factor those in.

Shai-Tan

Banned
They are both good games in completely different ways? I like ME2 because of the dialogue options and sidequests with branching outcomes. The combat is necessary and fun but it's not what stands out. I like UC2 because it has some great combat arenas. UC2 has good characters but I think the first game is better written and flows better as a story. I was also a little disappointed in the random one liners compared to the first game which had more story relevant dialogue as you play through the levels. UC1 vs UC2 is a similar comparison to me as ME2 vs UC2. UC1 is a better put together adventure but the combat is only decent compared to other cover shooters.

RoKKeR

Almost forgot about the DLC, that makes it more of a boat race.

That being said I adore UC2, but I hold ME2 in very high regard.

Kirye

Mass Effect 2 by a mile and a half. UC2 did many great things, but I honestly never cared about the side characters. Mass Effect 2 had you delve into your comrades' lives, and the outcome of the game was better because of it. Also the final mission? Magnificent. Everything about it.

To this day I miss hanging out with Garrus, flirting with Tali and walking on eggshells around Grunt and Jack.

LOLCats

Banned
ME2 and no contest for me. But its like treasure hunter vs save the galaxy. I love stargate way more than indiana jones.

I will say Mass Effect 2, but it's really hard to compare the two. ME is an action-RPG (emphasis on the action) and UC2 is an action-adventure/ TPS game. Both are are fantastic games but, they are completely different experiences from each other.

I would prefer ME2 mainly because I have played it many more times, due to wanting a playthrough with all 4 of my current ME1 playthroughs at the time.

Also the Suicide Mission, that was damn awesome. So was the train sequence through!

njean777

For me Uncharted 2 was better. I never cared for ME or the universe it took place in. UC2 was a great sp game and the fun MP was icing on the cake.

Top Bottom