• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 world premiere at Spike VGAs

J-Rzez

BruceLeeRoy said:
have you guys seen the trailer how was it?

I had to get a bag of ice for my junk after the trailer. It was filled with awesome Nate personailty, he said "crap" again, and it looked intense. If that is the starting stage, OMFG. Would be a killer way to start it off.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
His bloody hand was =O Everything else looked decent, but the hand made me say wow.

skulpt said:
An adventure game like this will never sell as many as Gears and GTA4.

As great GTA4 and Gears 2 are, Gears and GTA4 sells a lot to kids wanting the extra gore, sex, and so on. You put the same lower level gore and language that was in Uncharted, and apply it to Gears 1, and you sell probably 25% less units. You take the extra M rated stuff out of GTA4 and make it a T for teen game with the exact same mechanics minus F bomb, sex, and extra violence, people don't buy that game nearly as much.

Uncharted is going less M, and more teen. These other games are appealing to younger gamers that are thinking "Woah! I could never get away with this, and have fun with their friends who's parents would kill them if they saw them playing this stuff. " It's a smart move for the game developers, but it's appealing more to the "Push the boundaries = better regardless" crowd, but it doesn't mean a better game for a lot of us. Luckily Gears 2 and GTA4 are also great games by themselves, but no way they sell as much without the extra gore and sexaul themes presented in them.

Just try it Naughty Dog. Put a sex mini game in Uncharted that parents don't know about, and the game will sell probably a good 25% more than they would have otherwise.
I think it has less to do with what you've mentioned than it does to do with PS3 was not in the best of places when Uncharted came out, and the game didn't have all that much advertising. I think all the word-of-mouth about the first game (and I definitely do believe there was a lot) will make this game sell gangbusters.

BruceLeeRoy said:

2cep8pz.gif

pretty gud :D

Maybe it's just the GIF, but I really don't think the bloody hand looks all that great. It kind of looks like his hand is covered in wax. :\

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BruceLeeRoy said:
Short but very sweet. His bloody hand looked great, animation of everything was even better than before (even facial animation), and Nolan North proved again he's the perfect voice actor for this role.

I AM JOHN! said:
Maybe it's just the GIF, but I really don't think the bloody hand looks all that great. It kind of looks like his hand is covered in wax. :\
It's what I imagine partially dried blood would look like.

TheFatOne

rexor0717 said:
I really hope that they don't do that. But if they do the appease the "Multiplayer or no buy" people, I really hope they think out of the box. Go beyond the TDM and CTF. Maybe randomly generate maps with platforming racing. That would be cool. But I'm still not backing multiplayer.

That is how I feel.

Lord Error said:
It's what I imagine partially dried blood would look like.
Perhaps. Something about it just looks off to me. Maybe it's the color, or the reflectiveness. :\

Rest of the trailer was amazing, though. Can't wait for GT to put up the HD version.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Lightning said:
Sony need to put a HD version of this on PSN stat!!!
Yup. The latest would be this Thursday. Let us see the whole thing in full HD w/out the bullshit compression.
The game still looked sexy as hell on the SD feed though.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
"If" they did a multiplayer mode, I hope it would be like Horde mode on gears. You and another dude just defending against waves and waves on dudes. Thats all I would need :D

rexor0717

TheFatOne said:
That is how I feel.
There are plenty of good and original multiplayer ideas to explore with Uncharted. But if it takes away from the singleplayer, then that's a no-go. Wouldn't want it to go the R2 route. (I love R2!, but it seems like the singleplayer didn't get as much attention as the competitive and co-op)

Darkpen

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
If they do multiplayer I'm not buying the game, there I said it.
as long as they don't super-ingrain the multiplayer aspect into the game, to the point where it inhibits the quality of the singleplayer, I'm fine and dandy.

Blu_LED said:
Did you guys see that? DID YOU SEE THAT?

Jesus Christ this is going to be the most beautiful game ever created.

Who gives a shit what it looks like, we knew it was going to be amazing! Hearing and seeing Nathan Drake again, seeing him act like...Nathan Drake...AMAZIN!

Volcynika

H_Prestige said:
Please tell me it's not like the demo. Because I tried to like it, I really did.

I bought it as one of my first games when I got my PS3, felt I kinda spent too much on it. It had some things that I wasn't too fond of.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
H_Prestige said:
Please tell me it's not like the demo. Because I tried to like it, I really did.
Don't remember the demo that well personally...what section was it? lol
The shooting aspect should be similar but the game is freaking awesome. If you like action adventure/platformer games, with fun/cheezy/awesome story then you're in for a treat. The in-engine cutscenes are fucking amazing as well. The whole package is simple kick ass and there are unlockables when you beat the game.
You can change how the color pallet looks (next-gen version filter :lol )
You can buy guns the second playthrough, change player skins and other stuff I can't name on top of my head. The game is definitely worth a purchase imo.

rexor0717

H_Prestige said:
What exactly didn't you like? Was it the 2 or 3 waves of enemies they threw at you? They do that alot, but there is platforming.But when you get the story, it really sucks you in and you won't really mind.

John_B

What the fuck was this shit? This was not real-time! Somebody said it was going to be real-time! Whatever that was, it will not be found anywhere in the retail game, well except for that bloody hand part.

And what the fuck was up with God of War 3? When I first saw Kratos face I thought we were going to see his PS2 face transform into his PS3 face, though for some reason it remained shitty. And to think some people actually suggested that Kratos would look somewhat like how he did in the first CG teaser. THIS was going to be the pinnacle of graphical achievement this generation? It looked like a painting come to death.

I stood up two hours early to watch this shit. What a waste of time.

P.S. It would be nice of you guys at Naughty Dog if you could show us how the game actually look like in the near future. Thank you.

John_B said:
What the fuck was this shit? This was not real-time! Somebody said it was going to be real-time! Whatever that was, it will not be found anywhere in the retail game, well except for that bloody hand part.

And what the fuck was up with God of War 3? When I first saw Kratos face I thought we were going to see his PS2 face transform into his PS3 face, though for some reason it remained shitty. And to think some people actually suggested that Kratos would look somewhat like how he did in the first CG teaser. THIS was going to be the pinnacle of graphical achievement this generation? It looked like a painting come to death.

P.S. It would be nice of you guys at Naughty Dog if you could show us how the game actually look like in the near future. Thank you.
What the fuck is this shit?

It was in-engine. What more do you want? The game is over 11 months out.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
John_B said:

3109855636_ffbc9d40e1_o.gif

rexor0717

John_B said:

Ouch. Its not that bad. Its not bad at all. The game going to be released in the far future, and they are going to make huge improvements the graphics. Would you rather have them wait until its amazing looking to show a trailer(however long that will take). People wanted GoW and this is what they got. :/

And about Uncharted, why wouldn't it be real time? Is it not to impossible to grasp the concept that people can make good cutscenes without resorting to CG.

John_B said:

o_O

Schrade

John_B said:

Hate to break it to you but that was in-engine. They just were doing their cut-scene stuff with the engine like they did in the first game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
John_B said:

It was in-engine. AND YES IT WAS REAL AND WILL BE FOUND IN THE GAME JUST LIKE THAT, SO THERE!

Dragon

Banned
John_B said:

Take a horse tranquilizer please.

Zeliard

John_B said:

Were you not listening to Busta?

J-Rzez

John_B said:

Tonight hasn't disappointed on so many levels. Usually a Sunday is quiet, but man, the crazies are out tonight!

Raist

Banned
John_B said:

Yeah ND should stop with this CG bullshit, they've been doing this for years now.

dralla

my favorite of all the trailers. i hope we get to play that part, would be cool to naviagte an upside down train as things fall on you :]

Looked absolutely awesome and extremely cinematic. This has easily jumped up to my most anticipated game!

AND THE BEST NEWS IS... he actually had a "beard" of growth rather than that lame goatee I saw him with in a magazine screenshot. :D I hope they keep it that way if he is going to have facial hair. OR better yet, maybe they will have that "shaving feature" that Kojima wanted to put in MGS2. :lol

bumpkin

John_B said:

Well, I disagree completely on everything you had to say about Uncharted 2. I've played through the first game and it had scenes on par with what we saw in the teaser for the sequel. So, if you ask me, it's coming along nicely and I'm psyched. :D

Now God of War III... Well, I'm in the same boat as you. When they showed his face, I expected something to happen; a transition like you said or maybe that it was just a quick throwback to what happened in GOW2. However when the trailer continued and it didn't get much better, I was underwhelmed. I know the game's not due out for a while, but it didn't pack the OMGWTF oomph I was expecting. Jaffe is most certainly not vindicated on this one.

Either GOW2 on the PS2 looked that damn good or they haven't yet injected the juice...

John_B

I need coffee.

Kagari said:
It was in-engine. AND YES IT WAS REAL AND WILL BE FOUND IN THE GAME JUST LIKE THAT, SO THERE!
Oh, pre-rendered and in-engine, it is practically the same thing, like in all other games. I know the cut scenes in Uncharted 2 are going to pre-rendered and in-engine (like Uncharted), that is not the problem.

This quote is what that bugs me:

"Nathan Drake is back for an entirely new adventure, and at the VGAs you’ll get a first-ever glimpse at this PlayStation 3 exclusive from Naughty Dog…again, it’s all real-time, in-engine action. No CG here."

Along with a statement that suggested were going to see gameplay. Well, why did they show us some pre-rendered, half-done, touched up cut scene then? The mountains and the fire look like some rendered placeholders. This will not be the actual cut scene you will see in the retail game, I'm sure of that.

I probably overracted a bit, I'm just tired of being treated like an idiot by these video game companies. If you game is not ready to be show, then don't show it, end of story. At least the car manufcaturers have the decency to label their products under development as prototypes or renders or whatever.

Top Bottom