• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 | New details from OPM 57 [EGM Details Post 208]

siarraweb

Issue 57 of the Official Playstation Magazine has an exclusive look at Uncharted 3, as well as a chat with the developers, which brings to light a bunch of new information regarding story, characters, and sand. Endless, endless sand. The magazine should be available in stores now.

- Drake spends most of his time exploring the Arabian dunes of Rub' al Khali.

- The game features "all the things you'd expect in a desert" - including sandstorms and mirages.

- The sand creates a 'dynamic environment' for Drake, with altering geography.

"We've done a ton of research...The way sand blows over and curls over the tops of dunes, the way it displaces and flows - it's almost a liquid" - Amy Hennig, Creative Director

- Drake and Sullivan are in the Empty Quarter, looking for the Iram Of The Pillars, a kind of Arabian Atlantis.

- Not all locations are dry and arid; you'll be taken all over the world to places like London and a jungle temple.

- The story is based around Lawrence Of Arabia, and his fascination with Iram Of The Pillars.

- Bike sections are all but confirmed. There's a newspaper cutout in the teaser trailer that mentions motorcycles, and Naughty Dog says "We have a strong tradition of vehicular gameplay, and we try not to repeat ourselves".

- The story to the game is still being written and altered, but villain Katherine Marlowe is part of an secret order that dates back to Queen Elizabeth I.

- Drake's Deception will most likely not be his last outing; "The Uncharted franchise was never conceived as a trilogy"

- "Of course, there are recurring characters from previous games" - I guess that's Elena confirmed, then?

- There's a new melee system, with features like Drake picking up a bottle from a table and smashing it over an enemy's head. There are also new stealth moves and mechanics.

- "We'll be sure to alert everyone if a public beta is in the works this time around".

There's loads more info, as well as brand new screenshots, within the silky pages of the magazine. We implore you to rush to the newsagents and snap Issue 57 up now.

http://playstation.systemlink.me/2011/04/new-uncharted-3-info-plot-characters.html

CKYBO.gif

and so on

Arnie

Not much new information but I'm still excited as hell to see this, should get all the footage we need at E3.

Gritesh

siarraweb said:
- Drake's Deception will most likely not be his last outing; "The Uncharted franchise was never conceived as a trilogy"

Makes me soo very happy, favorite franchise to come out of this Generation.

slider

I'm sure whatever I want to say has been said above.

I'd like to know the split between desert and other locales. Not that I'm worried; this'll be very frikkin' good.

siarraweb

I have a feeling that...

..many guys will use the mirages part and think of them as bugs :D

hey... there was a city right there!! and now is gone!! /rage! fix it!

:p

mr. puppy

Banned
are they going to fix the ridiculous crouching/hiding behind boxes mechanic that they couldn't do right the last game?

I look forward to seeing if and how mirages affect the gameplay (my guess is that they might be more of a plot element).

siarraweb said:
I have a feeling that...

It's not a bug, it's a feature lol

Really can't wait for Uncharted 3. The carefree atmosphere of this series really is the spirit of Indiana Jones in gaming form.

siarraweb

hope there's a good balance in locations, like uncharted 2.

don't want to see them do a lot of tech research on the sand levels and then using sand, sand and sand... i guess it gets boring after a while on the same scenario, hope there's a good ratio of locations aspect.

but i'm hyped just to see those sand levels :D

siarraweb

boris feinbrand said:
It's not a bug, it's a feature lol

Really can't wait for Uncharted 3. The carefree atmosphere of this series really is the spirit of Indiana Jones in gaming form.

i know it's a feature, i'm just saying that there will be some dudes playing the game that may mistake them as a bug and then come running here talking shit about those ''bugs'' :D

Yay! I'm a sucker for adventure series. The writing in Uncharted just works - I actually want to know more about the characters and their adventures. Would love to see a young Sully spin-off.

"We've done a ton of research...The way sand blows over and curls over the tops of dunes, the way it displaces and flows - it's almost a liquid" - Amy Hennig, Creative Director
Hey, no need to convince me of anything! Your work speaks for itself every time!

Fantastic news bits!

I'm actually very excited for this. I was really put off by Uncharted 2 for some reason but went back and picked up where I left off and really started playing it, and it's really a jaw droppng game.

siarraweb said:
I have a feeling that...

Next Fallout game being set in the Sahara confirmed.

Hummina hummina

All of those details are spectacular. I think strangely about this game. I don't need anything other than the fact that its called uncharted 3 to convince me to own this game, yet all of these amazing technological advancements just sweeten the deal.

Lets hope that while trying to push more out of the ps3 they don't sacrifice the overall amazing aesthetics of the second one like kz2 to kz3...

StevePharma said:
Next Fallout game being set in the Sahara confirmed.
So you're saying fallout nv was not buggy, but rather had crazy shit in it deliberately to fuck with people and make them see shit and think they were crazy (ala eternal darkness)?

I can dig that.

siarraweb said:

well duh, we still have yet to see Drake's highly anticipated Sopranos-like family dynamic, you remember the one about "a crime family that metes out justice in the world of art and antiquities"...

Elios83

Atm this and LA Noire are my most wanted games of the year.
Let's see if Ubisoft surprises me with AC3....although I fear we'll get an other spin off this year.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ColonialRaptor said:
Lets hope that while trying to push more out of the ps3 they don't sacrifice the overall amazing aesthetics of the second one like kz2 to kz3...
What? They added color to KZ3 and people are now QQing about the amazing brown and gray aesthetics from KZ2 being lost?

And UC2 was a fucking massive leap aesthetically over UC1 so I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Angst

Sounds amazing. Can't wait to see what they pull off this time. Will pre-order the second it's available.

Majine

Banned
theBishop said:
Sounds amazing. Can't wait to see the new melee.

Any clues about the Portable Uncharted?

It's not being made by Naughty Dog. It's the guys that made Resistance Retribution, so I'd say we are in pretty good hands.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Thanks for the info, but you shouldn't have put what's in the game in a topic title like that, for people who are on a blackout. Now I know that the game has mirages, and I'd be happier if I was surprised to see them while I was playing the game :\

Top Bottom