• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 Spoilers Thread

Digishine

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
LOL! One of the most polished games ever made.

Then u got a better version. some enemy's where stuck.
Even my ps3 crashed some times I'm playing it again on my second new ps3 and also crashed.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Dat desert. It's like a painting

l4q6F.jpg

I had no problems with ship graveyard too. I love that part actually.

Wario64 said:
Characters die and they don't die

How is that hard to understand

:p

Drake's Inception

that was the most disappointing thing, I wished they kept Sully dead. It brought so much drama towards the end and showed how selfish drake was being, that should have cost something in the end.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Domcorleone said:
that was the most disappointing thing, I wished they kept Sully dead. It brought so much drama towards the end and showed how selfish drake was being, that should have cost something in the end.

Sully is such a likeable character though. I thought Cutter was gonna die by the end the game.

Im surprised that no one brought up the horse level, that was so damn beautiful and impressive and you had a surprisingly large amount of control during all of it. Sure it was a copy of the convoy level in U2 but in this one it was done far far far better and had more strategy.

Also I enjoyed fighting the fire demons, although they were hard as shit. Anyone else enjoy them?

Domcorleone said:
Im surprised that no one brought up the horse level, that was so damn beautiful and impressive and you had a surprisingly large amount of control during all of it. Sure it was a copy of the convoy level in U2 but in this one it was done far far far better and had more strategy.

Also I enjoyed fighting the fire demons, although they were hard as shit. Anyone else enjoy them?
Horse level looked amazing. Aram of the Pillars looked amazing, too! I just stood there looking around. So awesome.

There were lots of samey parts, though. The convoy, the city at the end, and the running on breaking things were too much like 2. I would have preferred a much longer plane level. That was some serious shit.

LaneDS

Just finished. I think I was expecting more from the story, because when it ended I was a little surprised that was it. Great game, but I'd like to see them move the gameplay forward some in the sequel. Just felt too familiar to UC2, and honestly I find the harder difficulties to be more frustrating than fun in all three games. This is probably better posted in the OT, but oh well.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ZackieChan said:
Horse level looked amazing. Aram of the Pillars looked amazing, too! I just stood there looking around. So awesome.

There were lots of samey parts, though. The convoy, the city at the end, and the running on breaking things were too much like 2. I would have preferred a much longer plane level. That was some serious shit.

They could have extended it with a gun fight in the air. 3 axis cover system. That would have been brain full of fuck if they could have pulled that off but it'd be the longest free-fall ever

Wario64 said:
They could have extended it with a gun fight in the air. 3 axis cover system. That would have been brain full of fuck if they could have pulled that off but it'd be the longest free-fall ever
That would have been balls out awesome. Still, it was a great game. It's just impossible to recreate that feeling I got playing U2. Without 2, this would have been amazing. Together, the trilogy is definitely one of my favorites ever.

I also wish I hadn't spoiled myself so much. Not knowing about the cargo plane, etc, would have had more of an impact.

LaneDS

Yeah, too much media was released before release. It wasn't hard to piece together what was coming up based on what ND had shown off, and the post caravan stuff was maybe an hour or two tops.

I dislike how the game hinted at important things about Drake's past or anything involving Marlowe (or Marlowe & Sully) and really didn't divulge anything. Really under utilized a bunch of great characters, old and new, in terms of development.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I went on media blackout after the first reveal trailer (which really didn't show much), and I saw the multiplayer stuff since I played the beta. I'd say about 90% of the game was brand new to me and it paid off. I was so excited when I got to the caravan part, I didn't expect that at all.

LaneDS

Might have to (try to) do the same for the next go round. Still really enjoyed the big set pieces, but very few surprises were in store. The "Sully dies" bit wasn't handled with nearly the impact that I would have hoped for. Just a bit of an angry face by Drake, some combat with a few lines of dialogue tossed in, and that was kind of it.

And completely unrelated, but I look forward to using suited Sully in MP. Some cool skins in there, although the amount of DLC characters is kind of disappointing.

WebScud

Domcorleone said:

I disagree. Keeping him alive was actually a surprise! I saw his "death" coming from a mile a way. From Naughty Dog talking about this as "Drake and Sully's story" to the flashback that put Sully in a father figure role to everyone talking about how Drake is going to get him killed. When he got shot I thought, "NO!!! Well. I knew that was going to happen."

WebScud

Marius_ said:
I dont think Golden Abyss is canon

It is canon. Amy helped with the script, had final story approval, and kept the devs in line. Someone asked that question at the AMC event I went to.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just beat it on Crushing. Final boss felt like Dragon's Lair, virtually no button hints until the very last QTE when Talbot is driving the knife towards you.

Time to go treasure hunting and that Platinum is pretty much mine

LaneDS

Wario64 said:
Just beat it on Crushing. Final boss felt like Dragon's Lair, virtually no button hints until the very last QTE when Talbot is driving the knife towards you.

Nice. How much more challenging was crushing versus hard? I found hard really damn tedious at times, which I remembered is exactly how I found hard/crushing to be on both previous games. Come Uncharted 4, I'll do normal on first playthrough assuming the gameplay isn't mixed up too much.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
LaneDS said:
Nice. How much more challenging was crushing versus hard? I found hard really damn tedious at times, which I remembered is exactly how I found hard/crushing to be on both previous games. Come Uncharted 4, I'll do normal on first playthrough assuming the gameplay isn't mixed up too much.

To be honest I didn't see it any more difficult, probably since I knew what to do this time. The big difference is melee fights don't give you the QTE button on screen.

Shadow780

There was a fountain area in Iram late in the game fighting Djinns was particularly frustrating on Hard since it's rather small, they quickly flanks me and teleports all over the place. I don't know how much harder is it on Crushing?

Visceir

Domcorleone said:

But at that point Drake wasn't being selfish anymore, he did it to stop the villains. And Sully is such an awesome character...young Sully was really boss too. I loved that whole part about young Drake and how those two met.

I agree about Sully's death not being handled very well...considering how much Nate cared about Sully he should have fallen into shock. But I guess that can be excused by it being more of a dream.

As for Talbot...I don't think there was anything supernatural about him, although it might have seemed that way. But I'd like to think he was just so highly trained and skilled that he seemed supernatural to his enemies (you)

And those who wonder how he survived when Charlie shot at him...that was pretty much that...you saw Charlie shooting in their direction but I think he only got one of the henchmen of his, not Talbot. I don't think we need to or will see any more of him.

One of my favorite things was hearing the desperation in Nate's voice when Sully was about to fall in the chateau level. i really like Nate and Sully's relationship.

LaneDS

Might give it a go later on then. Kind of feeling like the game was anti-climatic for some reason, so I think I'm shelving it for a few days to let things sink in.

The UC formula feels a little too well-established and I hope whenever we see a sequel there are some notable departures. More character development, less linearity (maybe set the game in one central location, sort of like the first game, and allow for a small element of freedom?), and some new hooks to combat would be welcomed by me. The expanded melee was fun for a while but got a bit tiresome, plus the characters that are invincible to melee (even when using stealth) are disappointing. Tossing back the grenades was a cool system, but aside from that I can't think of too much UC3 added aside from some very flashy and well-done set pieces.

jett

D-Member
Is it me or is the story complete nonsense. Talbot gets shot somewhere in the middle of the game and then reappears as if nothing happened. THIS IS NEVER EXPLAINED, despite the characters themselves bringing it up.

I don't understand why would this guy run from me, either. Everything about the story progression in this game is a mess. I'm greatly disappointed in Amy Hennig.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Or the part where he drugs cutter and then disappears

and in the filler section, why would the pirates go to the trouble of making a dummy Sully tied to a chair?

jett

D-Member
Marius_ said:

and in the filler section, why would the pirates go to the trouble of making a dummy Sully tied to a chair?

Right, he teleports, lol.

The pirates crap is just mind-boggling.

Visceir

jett said:
Is it me or is the story complete nonsense. Talbot gets shot somewhere in the middle of the game and then reappears as if nothing happened. THIS IS NEVER EXPLAINED, despite the characters themselves bringing it up.

I don't understand why would this guy run from me, either. Everything about the story progression in this game is a mess. I'm greatly disappointed in Amy Hennig.

Checked that scene again and yea, he clearly gets shot in the chest/shoulder area and Cutter seems rather surprised by seeing him seconds after on top of the tower...but that's something that could easily be blocked by a bulletproof vest, really.

And him teleporting seems also more of a skill of an experienced spy (which he was).

Seeing those parts again reminded me the card part. Cutter had a card on the inside of his jacket right after jumping off the tower and on the card there was a figure jumping off a burning tower. What was that all about?

jett said:

What's even worse is that you know almost absolutely nothing about Talbot or Marlowe to validate their actions, even if they come from this weird secret cult society.

Also what about the zombie looking guy in the chateau?

Visceir said:
Checked that scene again and yea, he clearly gets shot in the chest/shoulder area and Cutter seems rather surprised by seeing him seconds after on top of the tower...but that's something that could easily be blocked by a bulletproof vest, really.

The story seemed to have been implying a supernatural aspect that never really gets anywhere, which I think doesn't really set up a "bullet proof" vest an a real explanation. It's a mess, it just is.

Digishine

Banned
Raitosaito said:
What's even worse is that you know almost absolutely nothing about Talbot or Marlowe to validate their actions, even if they come from this weird secret cult society.

Yeah. For a sec I tough oh shit new monsters like in U1 and U2 but there aren't any of it in this one :/ They didn't explain alot of the story :/

Visceir

Raitosaito said:

The story seemed to have been implying a supernatural aspect that never really gets anywhere, which I think doesn't really set up a "bullet proof" vest an a real explanation. It's a mess, it just is.

I believe the zombie guy in the chateau is the end result when you do let the spiders get to you.

As for the card thing, it could have just been some cheap way to cast fear into drake and his friends. They could have shot Cutter right then and there but chose to set the tower on fire instead and leaving him the opportunity to escape. Making their enemies believe that they do might have supernatural powers and creating fear in them, that is how they operated, no?

Dunno if calling them a secret cult society is the right thing either. To my understanding they were like the (british) secret service. They were working for the queen centuries ago afterall,

I guess that is also all the validation I need for their action. I doubt Marlowe ever was after a 'treasure' and she knew about the "djinn" that changed the water long ago, if some random sheik knew about it then how couldn't she? Add in Drake foiling her plans 20 years ago and that's enough motivation really.

Wario64 said:

Goddamn, dude. I beat U2 on Crushing, but some of the encounters here gave me tons of trouble just on Normal. This will be a nice challenge!

Visceir said:
I believe the zombie guy in the chateau is the end result when you do let the spiders get to you.

As for the card thing, it could have just been some cheap way to cast fear into drake and his friends. They could have shot Cutter right then and there but chose to set the tower on fire instead and leaving him the opportunity to escape. Making their enemies believe that they do might have supernatural powers and creating fear in them, that is how they operated, no?

Dunno if calling them a secret cult society is the right thing either. To my understanding they were like the (british) secret service. They were working for the queen centuries ago afterall,

I guess that is also all the validation I need for their action. I doubt Marlowe ever was after a 'treasure' and she knew about the "djinn" that changed the water long ago, if some random sheik knew about it then how couldn't she? Add in Drake foiling her plans 20 years ago and that's enough motivation really.

Maybe is just the movie buff in me, but I think some things need to be relay to the audience to give some real context to the world you are viewing, while some things are ok to be left vague like Drake's real identity. Instead of exploring anything whatsoever about the background of Marlowe you have to make huge assumptions, and many of them at that which is even evident in your analysis.

It's fine I guess if you are able to tolerate it, and I'm happy you enjoyed it. It's not like I can't enjoy bat shit crap story, because I like Kingdom Heart's story on some level, but it just something about this installment that didn't give me a hook. (Even though UC2 near the end just sort of went a little too crazy.)

As much crap I am giving to the story, I liked the game a lot overall. And judging it base purely in the medium of video games is really setting some milestones for it's genre almost every aspect except for the super cheap combat.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Marius_ said:

I don't get it either. But the whole ship graveyard/cruise ship chapters is weird, the whole thing seems more like them wanting to do an awesome ocean/ship setpiece than making sense story wise.

Also fighting the fire monsters was okay, but the hallucination blur there was pissing me off, good thing it went by quick.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
My biggest issues with the story/presentation are:

- The lack of crow reaction to the firefights. I mean, if you do make some action sequences in or near crowed areas, please make them react to it. It felt extremely stupid when you see Drake & Co. exit the castle in Syria and tourists are standing around like nothing happend. Shit, Drake and the agents blew half the castle to pieces!? In Jemen it's similar when this whole squad just drops down from the hole. You finish them off, go up again and people are just standing around like nothing happend....

- The whole Cutter character is a disgrace and there are a lot of stupid sequences because of him. Like when they found the vault in Syria.... I mean, this Talbott character just steps out of nowhere, steals Cutter book and then disapears while everyonme is standing nearby? Really? Sorry ND, but you can do better then that.

- Why do we have to hear in every game the same dialogs? Why does someone at some point always has to say that it's enough bla bla and this shit aint worth it bla bla that they're through with this bla bla - and then they keep going never the less? We got it the first time.

- The villans are very week and bland in general.

- Elena says something like that Sully will go right to the end for Drake. No shit, wasn't he always claiming that he's too old for that shit in Uncharted 2 and therefore didn't join him on the trip to Nepal? So.... he'll follow him everywhere... except Nepal?

- Drake follows Talbott across half of Jemen and then gets knocked out by the pirate? Are you fukken kidding me? When not just let Talbott punch him out instead of this pirate magically appearing there? I don't get it.

- In Uncharted 2 is clearly is said that Drake was in the circus. Why does this game now tell us that this is not true?

----

This is just from the top of my mind. The game has some really big story issues in the first half - IMO. However, in the second half the flow is pretty good and I don't really have something to complain about. Shame ND fucked up the beginning

TheExorzist said:
Then why does Drake answer something like: "Haha, yeah, I may have been in the circus but...."
Because he was going along with the joke. "haha, yeah, I may be from the circus, but you are the one behind bars. "

Top Bottom