• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 by far the most successful launch in the series in the UK

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Numbered Uncharted even at its peak sold less than a non-numbered mainline HALO.

Worth Pondering

Noobie, listen, you dug an insane hole already, it's pretty difficult to tell how you can climb to reach the top of the hole again. But please, just stop:if you keep on doing this thing, you'll start digging in the sky, because you'll reach China soon. And then you'll start going off the planet due to your digging.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Let's not get crazy. Uncharted is amazing, but Halo 3 was a juggernaut for which the hype surrounding its launch can never be replicated.

Wikipedia tells me Halo 3 sold 14.5m copies, Uncharted 3 sold 9/10m copies. Uncharted 4 will probably sell way over that, it really isn't that crazy imo.

SomTervo

So, if the rest of the world is as excited, UC4 already sold 2 mn on global scale easily.

image.php

Javin98

Banned
I didn't beat it yet, taking my sweet time (and not playing as much as I want :( ), it's been wonderful up until this point.

It's the best in the series today obviously, just becuase gameplay is so improved, but I need to finish it first to see if its impact is bigger than U2 in 2009 for me.
I see, well, savour every moment of this game. It is a true masterpiece IMO. It is almost perfect in every aspect.

You can add Ryse and SO I guess

1463392497-iphone-image-05-16-2016.jpg
Shit, does that mean we can add in Forza 6 and Forza Horizon 2 as well? :p

Makes me wonder what sony will do with the franchise

Holy shit, halo is fuckin dead
Edit. Is halo selling 90% digital a running joke or fact?

It goes back to the Halo 5 UK sales topic, and a poster named leeh arguing that anyone who didn't think digital was "drastically" outselling physical was "mad". Check here, and the gems start coming at post #66: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1133453&highlight=9+10+digital&page=2

EDIT - he uses for reference his circle of 10 friends, 9 of which bought the game digitally, and believes that one example extrapolates to a wider audience suggesting that its digital sales account for a huge proportion.

jelly

Pondering it I've come to the conclusion Halo was bigger at peak but is dipping alarmingly while Uncharted is either at peak or still growing.

My conclusion is MS has allowed core franchises to fragment with no replacements in site whereas Sony introducing new IP last gen plus releasing existing IP has proven to be the better strategy leading into this gen and is now really paying off.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

It makes more sense to release new IP with a big install base which Sony did and now they have a one two from the same studio, maybe even a three whereas Microsoft decided to build factories for one purpose.

I would also say console launch periods are good for new IP too with Microsoft being usually quite varied so can't knock them for that.

Halo has dipped and the competition is quite fierce but I don't think it's a coincidence arguably people don't like Reach, I think it's really good, Halo 4 was poor, Halo MCC was garbage, Halo 5 was bad too with the campaign and multiplayer is quite good, some content lacking. That's bad for any franchise and with no story worth a damn along with poor campaigns, lacking long standing series features, multiplayer please stand by while we fix it and add stuff we took out. Is it any wonder the sales have plummeted? Congrats on the core mechanics of Halo 5 being good but you know, the rest matters too. Fans give or take have been put through the ringer 3-4 times, not surprised many haven't come back and when you can't make head nor tails of the series from newcomers perspective, you're only going down. Do something new.

It goes back to the Halo 5 UK sales topic, and a poster named leeh arguing that anyone who didn't think digital was "drastically" outselling physical was "mad". Check here, and the gems start coming at post #66: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1133453&highlight=9+10+digital&page=2

EDIT - he uses for reference his circle of 10 friends, 9 of which bought the game digitally, and believes that one example extrapolates to a wider audience suggesting that its digital sales account for a huge proportion.
Lol wow. Thanks

Javin98

Banned
Hah someone should tweet him a version for uncharted 4 when we numbers are out along with original quote from him lol
I would do it, but I don't have a Twitter account. Also, I would wait until we get worldwide numbers as well. Could probably even throw in Halo 5 when we do.

I would do it, but I don't have a Twitter account. Also, I would wait until we get worldwide numbers as well. Could probably even throw in Halo 5 when we do.

Nah. We don't have worldwide estimates for Halo, so it's purely guesswork at that stage.

If you all want to be snarky, at least keep it to actual numbers ala NPD.

Javin98

Banned
Nah. We don't have worldwide estimates for Halo, so it's purely guesswork at that stage.

If you all want to be snarky, at least keep it to actual numbers ala NPD.
Fair enough, but with the US being by far the largest market for Halo and it did 852K without bundles IIRC, worldwide sales probably weren't higher than 1.3 million.

Wagram

The thing I find scary is that Uncharted 4 has even passed The Division PS4 SKU as best seller on Amazon (for the entire year). It's going to sell really well.

Hah someone should tweet him a version for uncharted 4 when we numbers are out along with original quote from him lol

Trouble is, some of those PS3 games were no slouches when it came to sales, particularly GoWIII.

It would be an insult to U4 to have to compare the sales bombs of the likes of QB, TR, SO and Ryse to it.

But it's mad still that U4 outsold in it's debut week more than Halo 5 and TR in the UK. Most would have called you crazy if you'd suggested such lunacy a year ago.

Javin98

Banned
Trouble is, some of those PS3 games were no slouches when it came to sales, particularly GoWIII.

It would be an insult to U4 to have to compare the sales bombs of the likes of QB, TR, SO and Ryse to it.

But it's mad still that U4 outsold in it's debut week more than Halo 5 and TR in the UK. Most would have called you crazy if you'd suggested such lunacy a year ago.
In addition to what Ghost Slayer said, the 360 was far ahead of the PS3 in the US last gen. Had it been worldwide sales, Greenberg wouldn't have been able to gloat that much.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Uncharted is now a top tier franchise globally, so that's not surprising. Kind of impressive how Naughty Dog has grown this (with help from advertising muscle).

If anyone thinks U4 is the last one, allow me to giggle.

silva1991

Uncharted is now a top tier franchise globally, so that's not surprising. Kind of impressive how Naughty Dog has grown this (with help from advertising muscle).

I'm expecting more Uncharted, but different genre

car racing seems safe assumption after how fun it was in 4.

and the racetracks will be in locations we visited across the 4 games ;)

Of course a PS4 exclusive of a big franchise is going to sell better than the previous PS3 exclusives. The PS3 wasn't a popular console in UK. It would have been a massive failure if it didn't sell better than Uncharted 3.

Of course a PS4 exclusive of a big franchise is going to sell better than the previous PS3 exclusives. The PS3 wasn't a popular console in UK. It would have been a massive failure if it didn't sell better than Uncharted 3.

Eh, I don't think it is as guaranteed as you make it out it be. Many PS4 exclusives have not sold that well or better than the previous entry. Such as LittleBigPlanet 3.

ps3ud0

What are you on about? Irrelevant of its market share the PS3 UK base when U3 launched was still larger than U4s PS4 base.

ps3ud0 8)

noobie

Banned
Noobie, listen, you dug an insane hole already, it's pretty difficult to tell how you can climb to reach the top of the hole again. But please, just stop:if you keep on doing this thing, you'll start digging in the sky, because you'll reach China soon. And then you'll start going off the planet due to your digging.

I like your analogy. Thank you

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Yeah...the quality of the game aside, Sony wouldn't be advertising this as much as they are if they were planning to just quietly shelve the series. Having just established it as a 'BIG' game - if they have successfully done so - they're not going to let it go.

Has ND said if this will be their last Uncharted, period, or their last Nathan Drake Uncharted?

If ND is letting go of it entirely, Sony will have to handle it carefully if they want to keep it around this peak in the future.

Yeah...the quality of the game aside, Sony wouldn't be advertising this as much as they are if they were planning to just quietly shelve the series. Having just established it as a 'BIG' game - if they have successfully done so - they're not going to let it go.

Has ND said if this will be their last Uncharted, period, or their last Nathan Drake Uncharted?

If ND is letting go of it entirely, Sony will have to handle it carefully if they want to keep it around this peak in the future.

Their last Uncharted, period, and Nathan Drake's as well.

So a new Uncharted will not be made by them, and will star someone else.

nib95

Banned

I think many expect a different studio to take on the franchise, but without ND at the helm I'm not confident it'll be of the same caliber.

I haven't completed the game yet and all the talk of ND doing more or whether it's the last in the series feels dangerous, so I'm stepping out now.

Top Bottom