• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 by far the most successful launch in the series in the UK

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah...the quality of the game aside, Sony wouldn't be advertising this as much as they are if they were planning to just quietly shelve the series. Having just established it as a 'BIG' game - if they have successfully done so - they're not going to let it go.

Has ND said if this will be their last Uncharted, period, or their last Nathan Drake Uncharted?

If ND is letting go of it entirely, Sony will have to handle it carefully if they want to keep it around this peak in the future.

Maybe Sony could set up a side studio called Libertalia to crank them out.

Nev

Banned
I think many expect a different studio to take on the franchise, but without ND at the helm I'm not confident it'll be of the same caliber.

I think Bend Studio deserve the chance if they're actually making more Uncharted without Naughty Dog. Golden Abyss felt surprisingly close to a Uncharted game from ND. With half the budget, zero experience and a underpowered platform to boot. I honestly think they should be given the opportunity if the game was to be made, they could make something great.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Their last Uncharted, period, and Nathan Drake's as well.

So a new Uncharted will not be made by them, and will star someone else.

O_O

Good luck, Sony. Props to them for allowing ND to direct themselves like this though.

Maybe Bend could taken the mantle, but they're off doing their own original thing now, right? Maybe depending on the outcome of that, they might be a prime candidate to be the next Uncharted studio. That might necessitate a bit of a pause in the series, but that's probably no bad thing.

I remember the Greenburg quote about outselling PlayStation exclusives but I highly doubt they did. Im not sure we have concrete lifetime sales for all those games but I doubt it outsold them all.

It was just NPD data, so its to be expected with the weakness of the PS3 in the US, as this gen has shown sony has a global audience.

EGM1966

O_O

Good luck, Sony. Props to them for allowing ND to direct themselves like this though.

Maybe Bend could taken the mantle, but they're off doing their own original thing now, right? Maybe depending on the outcome of that, they might be a prime candidate to be the next Uncharted studio...
Hopefully Sony will look at 343i and Halo and how that's working out and leave it.

It's time videogames joined other mediums in actually letting great material end naturally and not milk it to embarrassing oblivion.

U4 is a nice final entry and while I'm up for more action and adventure I'm happy with idea of new characters, new approaches and new IP.

Would be nice to see Sony show balls of steel, respect ND moving on and not risk the usual "it's not the same without X" reaction and route of diminishing returns.

barit

Hopefully Sony will look at 343i and Halo and how that's working out and leave it.

It's time videogames joined other mediums in actually letting great material end naturally and not milk it to embarrassing oblivion.

U4 is a nice final entry and while I'm up for more action and adventure I'm happy with idea of new characters, new approaches and new IP.

Would be nice to see Sony show balls of steel, respect ND moving on and not risk the usual "it's not the same without X" reaction and route of diminishing returns.

Problem is that this industry depends on growth (like everything else in capitalism) and when Sony execs see these numbers for UC4 they won't think: "Wow what a great end for our franchise. So long Nate!" more like "Damn the next instalment will sell billions, let's get on it"

So yeah another Uncharted is inevitable. At least ND gets the chance to do other things

Well deserved ND.

It's the best thing about Sony as a whole, they support games others wouldn't always been the case throughout the gens.

Yup. I love how they green light all sorts of things.

It's a perfect example of a game which starts out at a decent level but grows to titanic proportions with a great developer behind it and good publisher support. It's just a shame most publishers these days don't recognise this and just want a massive AAA smash hit straight out of the gate.

Completely agree. The first game probably didn't do well enough for it so I can't really blame them but I would have liked Sony to have given The Order just one more shot since the universe and designs set up were so good even though it wasn't successful like UC1. A second game could have potentially addressed a lot of the shortcomings and length issues.

Based on 3.1mn PS4's sold in the UK, 40 mn globally and the premise of the same attach rate (6,25% after week 1), Uncharted 4 should have sold 2.5mn+ copies within the first week globally.

maverick40

Sony should let Platinum Games develop future UC projects.

Now is the perfect time to drastically shake-up the formula, especially since ND has moved on from the franchise.

Nightmare fuel.

I couldn't think of anything worse to be honest. How would a Japanese developer improve on uncharted? It would bury the franchise in one foul swoop

Gonna be a mega hit, one of the highest rated exclusives ever - how valuable are Naughty Dog to Sony right now? The output is not even approaching fatigue either, assuming this is the last Uncharted and now ND will turn to TLOU sequel and a possible sci-fi game.

Gonna be a mega hit, one of the highest rated exclusives ever - how valuable are Naughty Dog to Sony right now? The output is not even approaching fatigue either, assuming this is the last Uncharted and now ND will turn to TLOU sequel and a possible sci-fi game.

Probably their most valuable studio. As a whole, ND is one of the most valuable studio in the gaming industry I bet.

Outsold Halo 5 in its first week opening.

Uncharted now bigger than Halo.

Yep, Uncharted is bigger than Halo in 2016. Who would have thought that 1 years ago?

But the more important factor is Naughty Dog are now giants, as if they weren't post TLOU, and their next game will be a gigantic hit too, barring a disaster.

Mojang actually take that crown, or Supercell?

Disagree here. If you said Minecraft is a more valuable brand than UC, of course. But Mojang have only had 1 hit and the person responsible for it has long since left the company.

If we talk about prestige related to talent, ND would be above Mojang I would say. In terms of value? Depends on how you quantify value.

Both Uncharted and Ratchet got a boost on the PS4 so I think Gt will as well.

GT is still a massive IP.

Aye GT6 was released at the worst time possible on a dying console and it still sold in the region of 5million.

A next mainline GT will be big, not sure about this "GT Sport" though.

thefro

Uncharted is now a top tier franchise globally, so that's not surprising. Kind of impressive how Naughty Dog has grown this (with help from advertising muscle).

If anyone thinks U4 is the last one, allow me to giggle.

It's about five things beyond the advertising budget:

- It's an excellent game by most accounts
- Graphical showcase game, which helps sales
- PS4 is a pretty successful console compared to PS3
- Previous games in the series have been very heavily discounted/bundled/given away on PS+, which grows the player-base of the franchise. I'd compare that to a good TV show going on Netflix between seasons.
- Naughty Dog got a bigger reputation with The Last of Us.

Angel_DvA

Beating UC3 by 66%?
friday-damn-gif.gif

Should have been first post...

Outsold Halo 5 in its first week opening.

Uncharted now bigger than Halo.

It's crazy but not surprising with how the IP turned out to be...

Okay, let's rethink this post. Sony Bend are a studio with a wealth of experience in games development, the major issue many of us have here on NeoGAF is that they are a studio that is vastly underutilised like Cambridge, London, San Diego etc. They they're the studio responsible for Syphon Filter, Resistance Retribution as well as Golden Abyss.

So they also have ample experience working with other IP from within Sony. They had numerous games cancelled, mainly because of marketing reasons and the higher ups didn't want their games to coincide with the core studio release and take attention away from those games. Like Evolution studios they've just had shit luck.

I agree they had barely any of the resources Naughty Dog have per Uncharted game in comparison to Golden Abyss but I think that's what makes it so special. At Eurogamer I asked Nolan North and Richard Lemanchard about their involvement with Golden Abyss and while Richard said they offered advice and guidance but Nolan was particularly proud of his work.

I really hope Bend's next game (Dead Don't Ride, right?) is good. They've been picking at scraps for a long time and I'd like them to have a big hit of their own.

They probably make more money than all the other sony studios combined.

Lol, no. Are you forgetting Polyphony? Even GT6 was a relative failure and still sold almost 5 million copies.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's about five things beyond the advertising budget:

- It's an excellent game by most accounts
- Graphical showcase game, which helps sales
- PS4 is a pretty successful console compared to PS3
- Previous games in the series have been very heavily discounted/bundled/given away on PS+, which grows the player-base of the franchise. I'd compare that to a good TV show going on Netflix between seasons.
- Naughty Dog got a bigger reputation with The Last of Us.

People keep repeating this, but UC3 sold better than TLOU.

Top Bottom