• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Gameplay Demo [Up: Sony - Was running at 30 fps]

Sid

Thanks, I sometimes forget that, though Santa Monica is indeed collaborating. Regardless, why can't we give credit where it's due to The Order instead of talking about Uncharted 4 being disappointing because it doesn't look as good?
Because it does?

Superflat

If you didnt even find that somewhat impressive I doubt you will have a change of heart when it releases. And on what fucking planet does this look "pretty bad?" Where the fuck am I?

A sad, lonely vortex created by dissenting opinions about an extended gameplay clip showing refined gameplay additions instead of hype explosions and drake slowly getting up from the ground in the pale moonlight.

twdnewh_k

How so exactly? It looks and plays like Uncharted and visually is better than any game not named The Order.

I can ask you the same question since I cannot imagine how someone would be really impressed with what was shown. It did not look technically impressive.

The Order didn't look too hot either.

injurai

Banned
Naughty Dog: "Hey guys, we just reached the summit of K2!"
Gamers: "You said you were going to climb Everest"
Naughty Dog: "Yea, we'll still aim to climb to the top of Everest next year, but we might not make it because that's super hard. For now though, we just reached the summit of K2, which is pretty awesome right?"
Gamers: "It's not Everest"
Naughty Dog: "Well no, but considering most other console devs have barely reached the peak of Mount Buller, we think K2 is pretty damn impressive"
Gamers: "Also a water canteen clipped into a rock wall"
Naughty Dog:
zl8Be3w.gif

thank you

man people are complaining about the best looking game of the generation...

I can ask you the same question since I cannot imagine how someone would be really impressed with what was shown. It did not look technically impressive.

The Order didn't look too hot either.

oh and you said the zelda wii u demo they showed at tga looked stunning?

okay, buddy.

Qvoth

i'm not even a big uncharted fan and found that demo fuckin amazing
i doubt the island is fully open world, probably semi, but still i'm very impressed

I don't know what everyone is talking about. Game looks fantastic. Uncharted is like the only game of this type that I actually like and this looks like a huge step up over the 3rd one. Hopefully it will actually be in 60fps though.

Edit: Oh, so we're only complaining about graphics? Fuck em. Game looks great, just make it 60fps.

JimPanzer

people tendto forget that The Order has these huge black bars (is it just me, or have they become bigger?). I don't really mind them, but you have to take them into consideration for comparing UC4 and The Order.

twdnewh_k

oh and you said the zelda wii u demo they showed at tga looked stunning?

okay, buddy.

Yes I did. You think Wii U games should look as good as Ps4 games?

And if you didnt think Zelda looked good then thats fine, I dont expect it to leave the same impression on everyone.

Kinyou

it means just that. blaming a dev so early into the dev cycle. they have a year left to finish the game. did they say it is going to be 30 fps on launch? wasn't the footage pre-alpha? isn't framerate one of the last things to get worked on as the release approaches?
The thing is that they set a goal. As of right now they did not reach that goal. I makes sense when people are disappointed that they did not reach that goal.

imo should they simply not have talked about 60FPS until they were sure that they're going to hit it.

Like I said, no one would be disappointed about a 30fps uncharted..... unless they were expecting to see a 60fps uncharted

I don't know what everyone is talking about. Game looks fantastic. Uncharted is like the only game of this type that I actually like and this looks like a huge step up over the 3rd one. Hopefully it will actually be in 60fps though.

Game is a year away, people have to find something to talk about I suppose. I just won't understand where their standards come from, as that was one of the best looking games I've seen.

Infamous: Second Son blew me away this year and this is a step up from that. It's a good time to be alive.

StuBurns

Banned
Yes I did. You think Wii U games should look as good as Ps4 games?

And if you didnt think Zelda looked good then thats fine, I dont expect it to leave the same impression on everyone.
Oh, your impression is relative to the technology, so you can surely name a few PS4 games that look better, that'll clear it all up easily, so... What's better looking?

cameron

If anyone is still interested, here is the full Gamersyde version of the demo with the corrected Full RGB levels - complete with audio this time.

Take 2 - H.264 35 mb/s 3.81 GB
https://mega.co.nz/#!NBcA3BiK!AB4PDO0ni2ZvTPDpjXmsQRu2Ttaw-KuvAZFMtlDQdwo

I have the whole video done. I had to reupload it due to forgetting the audio the first time.

Thanks. Downloading now. I appreciate the effort.

Quoting another poster who uploaded the original Gamersyde video if anyone wants that to compare:

SaberEdge

All the frame hitching from the Twitch stream when the camera was being spun around is gone in the youtube video. Love it. Kinda wish they released a 60 FPS version though (I'm assuming this game is 60 fps).

Not all of it. I downloaded the high quality gamersyde version and it's easy to see that the game still drops a little below 30fps at times and introduces a bit of judder. It's pretty damn solid overall though.

Oh, your impression is relative to the technology, so you can surely name a few PS4 games that look better, that'll clear it all up easily, so... What's better looking?

^ Pretty much this. There is nothing on the PS4 right now better looking than what we have seen of The Order or Uncharted 4.

Putty

WOW! And to think what it will look like in a years time! So many little details you miss on first viewing! Baffled at the not looking hot comments, just.....well I don't know.

Bradach

There's more negativity in here than I was expecting.
I'm very excited by it. I like the simple hiding thing and the contextual hand to hand stuff was excellent.
Also you don't have to kill everyone to progress to the next part. I wonder if you could have stealth-ed past everyone, without shooting at all.

There's more negativity in here than I was expecting.
I'm very excited by it. I like the simple hiding thing and the contextual hand to hand stuff was excellent.
Also you don't have to kill everyone to progress to the next part. I wonder if you could have stealth-ed past everyone, without shooting at all.

Yeah I noticed that too, love that they are kind of getting further and further from the "enemy waves" of earlier Uncharted and closer to that of TLOU where it was much more dynamic.

I'm baffled by what the people saying it looked bad expected. The beginning and end of the demo showed the models looking just as good as they did in the teaser, and the foliage was just as good throughout. How exactly was this disappointing? Especially considering the early stage the game is at.

The character models are significantly improved over previous Uncharted games, the scenery showed a lot of detail and draw range, and the levels are more open. New tricks like the grappling hook swing takedown, if it wasn't totally scripted, really would take the action movie vibe to a new level.

The setting and gameplay are Uncharted, with refinements but no drastic changes. I feel like the people saying it looked bad just don't like the Uncharted formula to begin with, which is fine but is a different criticism.

twdnewh_k

It is not relative to anything. I don't know why so many of you cannot accept this. I watched the demo like all of you and simply came away disappointed. I do not need to give you a detailed report on what and why. I simply expected something better. That's all there is to it.

Smash88

Banned
Did people really expect the E3 teaser was going to be actual gameplay footage? And at 60fps? You guys really don't get how these things work. People I think expected some sort of graphical improvement that was never going to happen, at least not on the hardware they have now.

Game still looks pretty, and Naughty Dog really knows how to create a gorgeous backdrop. But people really need to realize the levels aren't that open, it just seems that way due to the gorgeous backgrounds ND have created.

The thing is that they set a goal. As of right now they did not reach that goal. I makes sense when people are disappointed that they did not reach that goal.

imo should they simply not have talked about 60FPS until they were sure that they're going to hit it.

Like I said, no one would be disappointed about a 30fps uncharted..... unless they were expecting to see a 60fps uncharted

again, was that the final cut of the game? no.

that "goal" won't be reached until late into development. this was pre-alpha footage.

naughty dog wouldn't be talking about 60 fps if they weren't confident that they could hit it.

not only that, but it isn't like they promised you anything or they're beholden to you about anything.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The game is looking good at Full HD 1080p/30 but comon guys you will be lying to yourself if you think Tom raider isn't as good as this ..
I guess joke's on you because the gameplay portions of UC4 look just as clean and alias free as those screens you quoted. The image quality is incredible.

UTIII

Banned
I was actually gobsmacked watching the gameplay demo on the stream, looked fantastic from gameplay down to the graphics. (Although drakes face is a bit fat)

"Concerned" posts are getting a little tiresome.

Come on people. You are grasping at straws. Yes, it is an uncharted game... and it looks phenomenal. Turbo charged unchartet tps gameplay, in an exotic location, with TLoU'esq stealth, and seamless transitions into cutscenes... How is that possibly bad?

It is not relative to anything. I don't know why so many of you cannot accept this. I watched the demo like all of you and simply came away disappointed. I do not need to give you a detailed report on what and why. I simply expected something better. That's all there is to it.
You're expectations don't dictate reality though.

StuBurns

Banned
You just said PS4 games should look better than Wii U games. You're claiming expectations should be relative to theoretical performance, so Zelda can be graphically impressive while UC4 can't, and that is fine if you can demonstrate that within the context of PS4 graphics that UC4 is not impressive.

If you can't, then clearly you're just a hypocritical fanboy that's been caught out.

L4nnist3r

If this game is supposed to show that extra 40%, i have to say its failing to do so. The game looks good but not benchmark setting. Maybe it was the trailer, I guess i was expecting more.

Of course you don't need to give a detailed report, but you also shouldn't act surprised when people are baffled by the fact that you were disappointed with the visuals of a game that looks better than anything currently on the system.

Kinyou

again, was that the final cut of the game? no.

that "goal" won't be reached until late into development. this was pre-alpha footage.

naughty dog wouldn't be talking about 60 fps if they weren't confident that they could hit it.
Then I'm surprised why they would release a 30fps version now if it's not representative of the game. This way it's simply a downgrade from the reveal teaser

not only that, but it isn't like they promised you anything or they're beholden to you about anything.
lol, of course not. But that also doesn't mean I can't feel disappointed.

So uc4 and order dissapointed u but zelda was impressive lmao nothing more even needs to be said

Then I'm surprised why they would release a 30fps version now if it's not representative of the game. This way it's simply a downgrade from the reveal teaser

Optimization and framerate is one of the last stages of the development cycle. They can't wait until 8 weeks before release to start showing the game.

Maybe not, but in the end, that is the impression I came away with.
Thats fair enough but to not see how anyone can come away impressed by that seems pretty closed minded. It may have not lived up to your expectations but that doesnt change the fact that the game IS technically impressive.

Reg

Banned
If this game is supposed to show that extra 40%, i have to say its failing to do so. The game looks good but not benchmark setting. Maybe it was the trailer, I guess i was expecting more.

How many more times are you gonna post that you're disappointment in this thread?

lol, of course not. But that also doesn't mean I can't feel disappointed.

how many times do i have to tell you this is pre-alpha wip footage?

why would they? are you kidding me? they are the opener to the psx, that's why they were up there showcasing that "disappointing" footage. people came to see a show, they put together one.

they didn't release a "30 fps version", they release a working gameplay demo of the game which showcases new traversal and shooting mechanics, melee, level design, etc.

people are so fixated with the numbers/graphics bullshit that everything naughty dog showed today flew way over everyone's heads. do you seriously think nd is so concerned about showing off a non-60 fps demo over showing off the improvements they have done with stealth, physics, animations, ai, sound effects, etc.?

Top Bottom