• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 has gone gold

Gurish

Well done! Really reminds me of a very similar GIF for The Last Of Us. I do hope that for my sanity's sake that Uncharted 4 gets all those 10's too. :p

I really hope for the linear action games genre that it does, just to prove that it can still be super relevant and a GOTY material in gaming today with all the open world thing around.

The wait makes the reward sweeter brothers.

Not really since it's just waiting without any purpose, what you say is true for the first delay when they wanted to improve the end-game (not repeating U3's mistake), those 2 weeks won't make anything sweeter, the game is gold, they are just pointless.

Or maybe, just maybe, they legitimately needed the two extra weeks for manufacturing and what not. I find that to be a better reason than "we basically just wanted to add another two weeks to torture our customers".

Mikey Jr.

Or maybe, just maybe, they legitimately needed the two extra weeks for manufacturing and what not. I find that to be a better reason than "we basically just wanted to add another two weeks to torture our customers".

Pretty much.

People think Sony changed all their launch plans to go "lololol lets fuck with our customers!!"

Come on people.

Gray Matter

Not really since it's just waiting without any purpose, what you say is true for the first delay when they wanted to improve the end-game (not repeating U3's mistake), those 2 weeks won't make anything sweeter, the game is gold, they are just pointless.

This guy gets it.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
People think Sony changed all their launch plans to go "lololol lets fuck with our customers!!"

Yes.

giphy.gif

Javin98

Banned
I really hope for the linear action games genre that it does, just to prove that it can still be super relevant and a GOTY material in gaming today with all the open world thing around.
If you're hinting at the reception Quantum Break got, I don't think Uncharted 4 will really prove anything for that kind of game. Uncharted 4 is going for an open ended design, which bridges the gap between open world and linear shooters. Games like QB and The Order are much more limited in scope, which seems to draw criticism from reviewers this gen for some reason. Frankly, I would love more games to have an open ended design. It allows tight pacing with a lot of freedom and replayablity.

At least try to come up with another reasonable explanation.

"Hmm, maybe they could use the extra time for manufacturing but they mostly used that as the excuse for giving Ratchet and Clank more breathing room."

not

"Heh, UC4 is basically done and they have all the copies ready to go. They wanted to delay for two weeks just because. I mean, sure, this could potentially negatively impact them by delaying for no reason but they just don't care!"

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Ratchet went gold later than UC4, or at least was announced that way.

I think it's just a release timing thing. The R&C movie is also releasing in April and Ratchet is big on its own, but Sony doesn't want to overshadow it.

Just a guess but it makes a lot of sense and I'm not alone.

Lingitiz

If you're hinting at the reception Quantum Break got, I don't think Uncharted 4 will really prove anything for that kind of game. Uncharted 4 is going for an open ended design, which bridges the gap between open world and linear shooters. Games like QB and The Order are much more limited in scope, which seems to draw criticism from reviewers this gen for some reason.

Nobody should really be drawing any direct comparisons with Naughty Dog. Like Rockstar they are an anomaly in the industry; a status that they earned from consistency throughout the years. They are a 300 person single platform team that gets a lot of time to make their games and attracts the best of the best. Very few other developers have that kind of leeway to work with.

If Uncharted 4 scores well and is acclaimed by fans I wouldn't look at that as proving linear cinematic games can still score well (they totally can). That's just Naughty Dog being a good developer.

GnawtyDog

Banned

It just shows you're impatient. Can you master your anxiety and thirst? Uncharted 4 is not just an experience to be felt while playing the game, it's an out of body experience too.

Fisty

Naughty Dog's delays have always been worth it. Imagine how much polishing that studio can do from Gold master to launch day...

Slixshot

Banned
Back in the day, nobody would have even known the game wasn't finished. The idea of a company announcing a game is finished bites them in the end.

2thepoint

Does anyone think Uncharted 4 will topple The Last of Us global week 1 sales?

It seems there is monster hype for this, and that story trailer released last month pushed me from ''ah I'll buy it sometime 1st week'' to ''I'm buying it the second it appears on the store''.

Does anyone think Uncharted 4 will topple The Last of Us global week 1 sales?

It seems there is monster hype for this, and that story trailer released last month pushed me from ''ah I'll buy it sometime 1st week'' to ''I'm buying it the second it appears on the store''.

Consider that it's the conclusion of Uncharted (well, at least for ND), first ND current gen game, strong fanbase, heavy marketing from Sony I think it's reasonable to say it can top TLoU global week 1 sales

Global week one sales for TLoU was only 1.3 million. That's a small wall that was matched by less popular games like Second Son or Bloodborne.

The higher wall is the one-month sales of TLoU, which was 3.4 million. TLoU was a sales monster that benefited from very good legs for a new IP, and presumably really good word-of-mouth.

reKon

Banned
I can U4 selling 8-10 million total, the hype for this thing is insane.

Majority of my friends in RL who have switched from Xbox to Playstation have heard of the series, but haven't bought the remastered games or seem to care much. They're playing all multiplat stuff and some exclusives like Bloodborne. Some of them at least played the last of us. It will be a shame that people will probably miss out on playing a game that's going to be better than 99% of the games released over the next few years.

I think UC4 will comfortably surpass TLoU's week one sales. It should anyway.

And yeah, I am just going to read over some of the previews for hype stuff like, "and if all this comes together how I seem to think it will, this may turn out to be ND's best ever" or something like that lol. I can keep from watching the videos.

Majority of my friends in RL who have switched from Xbox to Playstation have heard of the series, but haven't bought the remastered games or seem to care much. They're playing all multiplat stuff and some exclusives like Bloodborne. Some of them at least played the last of us. It will be a shame that people will probably miss out on playing a game that's going to be better than 99% of the games released over the next few years.

Yeah I have some friends who don't seem hyped at all (or know that this game is about to come out). But closer to the release when all that word of mouth and day 1 momentum and fervor spread they'll come around.

I also think a lot of people who haven't played the Uncharted Collection will just dive into Uncharted 4. Which I don't recommend but I can't stop them haha
IF ONLY

It'll sell 10 milly at least. But that's about 1/4 of the ps4's userbase, so that's pretty huge. But if any game can do it it's this one.

And yeah, I am just going to read over some of the previews for hype stuff like, "and if all this comes together how I seem to think it will, this may turn out to be ND's best ever" or something like that lol. I can keep from watching the videos.

lol yeah ill try to stick to reading a bit of the previews, no footage for me. Especially for hype quotes "if all of this comes together ND will have you weeping in the fetal position and questioning your very existence"

photogaz

I played all the Uncharted games, but never got around to the collection. I'm not sure I'll now have time to finish the others before the release.

I feel it's been delayed just at the optimal time to get sales.

I'm not sure if it's the case, but does anyone think that the late release allows them time to work on the DLC and release it closer.

Krakin

I played all the Uncharted games, but never got around to the collection. I'm not sure I'll now have time to finish the others before the release.

I feel it's been delayed just at the optimal time to get sales.

I'm not sure if it's the case, but does anyone think that the late release allows them time to work on the DLC and release it closer.

If that were the case I think they'd need more than just two weeks. I've chosen to just take what sony said as fact. A global launch complicates things and they just needed more time to make it happen. I just hope none of us dies before those two weeks are up :(

I hope the previews are from early stuff.

I want to watch everything but don't want to get spoiled.

...Probably asking for too much.

Horohoro

Ratchet went gold later than UC4, or at least was announced that way.

I think it's just a release timing thing. The R&C movie is also releasing in April and Ratchet is big on its own, but Sony doesn't want to overshadow it.

Just a guess but it makes a lot of sense and I'm not alone.

So why not delay rachet and clank?

Top Bottom