• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 has gone gold

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You...... Fucked lol

DSRJ89p.gif

So true. I failed and watched the extended trailer back when I said I wouldn't. I just know ND will not spoil anything significant... but part of me, this time, this time wants to be blind from previews going in...

I'm scared.

ZeroRay

Wannna take Kurt Margeneu's advice and not spoil anything. But usually with ND games, by 3 weeks time it'll seem like everyone on the internet has the game but you. -_-

I've long accepted that I'm going to watch all the previews and trailers no matter what pretty much until I'm satisfied...which of course will never happen.

Embrace the dark side friends :)

Gurish

If you're hinting at the reception Quantum Break got, I don't think Uncharted 4 will really prove anything for that kind of game. Uncharted 4 is going for an open ended design, which bridges the gap between open world and linear shooters. Games like QB and The Order are much more limited in scope, which seems to draw criticism from reviewers this gen for some reason. Frankly, I would love more games to have an open ended design. It allows tight pacing with a lot of freedom and replayablity.
Let's not get carried away, just because they added some alternative routes doesn't make it open world or too open ended in general, it's still a very focused and linear TPS, it's closer to QB in scope than to TW3 or MGS5, ND emphasized about U4 that pacing is king for them (that's why they changed the original huge maps that Amy's designed), they won't let you wander around too much.

But I do agree with you that it's great to see a more open Uncharted, not only in the size of the maps but in the options during combat, every change that ND made to the formula seems brilliant, it doesn't feel like "another Uncharted with prettier graphics".

Nobody should really be drawing any direct comparisons with Naughty Dog. Like Rockstar they are an anomaly in the industry; a status that they earned from consistency throughout the years. They are a 300 person single platform team that gets a lot of time to make their games and attracts the best of the best. Very few other developers have that kind of leeway to work with.

If Uncharted 4 scores well and is acclaimed by fans I wouldn't look at that as proving linear cinematic games can still score well (they totally can). That's just Naughty Dog being a good developer.

That's a fair point, but still, it's a good inspiration for publishers to know that this genre is still very relevant, it needs to score well and sell really well for that.

zsynqx

Conclusion

Uncharted 4: End of a thief managed to dispel almost all of the (very few) doubts that tormented me before the single-player test, carried out last Friday behind closed doors in that of Milan. The game seems to granite in every aspect: the story of this new chapter starts from a premise more mature than previous episodes - without neglecting the typical humor of the series - while the already solid gameplay has been touched up with some interesting additions and supported by a level design that allows a variety of different approaches. The only question appears on the narrative front: Naughty Dog will be able to reconcile the lockout and masterful storytelling of previous episodes with the new (albeit apparent) freedom of action typical of this fourth chapter? There are only a few weeks to find out, but on May 10 has never been so far away.

Really interesting that you can mark enemies.

I'm on my phone, TL;DR?

Never before in this chapter are the fatal events to lead our to make the difficult decision to leave for distant lands is not the promise of a millionaire treasure, nor the fame and glory; but a dramatic situation that can overturn the cards on the table.

The desert environments with strong colors red blood that stand before the players are in fact fully explorable and at first glance seem to propose different approaches to the mission: in fact the suspension of disbelief does not have such a long life, the locations are built so that they can recreate the feeling a huge open space despite the existence of a single junction and only need the continuation of the story.

The immense landscapes stand out on the retina of the player, featuring a broad and rich in minute details; details that only a few software companies in the world are able to carve and donate to their productions.

Uncharted 4: End of a thief managed to dispel almost all of the (very few) doubts that tormented me before the single-player test, carried out last Friday behind closed doors in that of Milan. The game seems to granite in every aspect: the story of this new chapter starts from a premise more mature than previous episodes - without neglecting the typical humor of the series - while the already solid gameplay has been touched up with some interesting additions and supported by a level design that allows a variety of different approaches. The only question appears on the narrative front: Naughty Dog will be able to reconcile the lockout and masterful storytelling of previous episodes with the new (albeit apparent) freedom of action typical of this fourth chapter? There are only a few weeks to find out, but on May 10 has never been so far away.

google translate, lol.

Top Bottom