• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 multiplayer will have no dedicated servers

http://www.vg247.com/2015/10/28/uncharted-4-multiplayer-will-have-no-dedicated-servers/

Man, this is disappointing as hell for me. I never played the MP in the past games, but I play TLoU MP almost every day and there's always been a super frustrating 'delay' in what you see and what everyone else sees, evident by how often you get shot while blatantly around a corner, how someone can shiv you from "behind" despite actually facing your shoulder, how people you down sometimes kinda slide and teleport a few feet away from where you actually downed them before you can execute them. I really hope they include better MM options to prevent crap like this.

Did the others? Honest question, as I have no idea.

If not, then no big deal for me. Whatever they had in the past worked great for me.

If so, then that sucks.

jett

D-Member
That's too bad that PS+ doesn't offer dedicated servers right off the bat.

Because it really fucking should. Uncharted games always suffer from lag.

jmaine_ph

Cool if it does, ok If it doesn't. I've never have connection or lag issues while playing Naughty Dog games online.

jelly

I can only compare to Tomb Raider for a similar type of game and P2P was horrible but maybe the Uncharted games were okay on PS3. The delay was so weird and annoying, rd person thing or just a bad game ?

Sony, how about using some of that PS+ money and not building PS Now then charging for that as well.

Gestault

P2P can sometimes give a better experience, assuming you're within a reasonable distance of other players and the code is handled well. I do like what dedicated servers can do (and I hate host advantage), but I think people mistakenly assume that dedicated servers will necessarily mean a better experience.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Disappointing, but par for the course in this day and age.

WeTeHa

u got shot while blatantly around a corner, how someone can shiv you from "behind" despite actually facing your shoulder

Wait, is that because of no dedicated servers, or because of bad internet on my side? I don't have good internet, so I always assumed it was my fault when someting ping/lag related happened.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
As long as they also drop the PS+ requirement for MP, we're good.

mjlol.png

Wait, is that because of no dedicated servers, or because of bad internet on my side? I don't have good internet, so I always assumed it was my fault when someting ping/lag related happened.

It's the game. I play BF4 every day also and it's flawless every time. The lack of any MM options in TLoU no doubt has a large part to play in it. The bullshit varies day to day, probably depending on who you're connected to. I just hope they improve the MM options in UC4, because simply throwing you into MM without any type of region selector makes for some incredibly frustrating gameplay in my experience with TLoU.

Gestault

Is it bad? Can someone explain this for MP noob?

Peer to Peer (P2P) means the online code is set up to share between players with no outside help, and generally someone in the match is chosen as the host whose session is where all that data "handshakes" to decide the sequence of events.

Having dedicated servers means there's an outside machine that does all that organizing between players and talks with the game code (in addition to the player machines).

Geography of where players are in relation to each other (and where servers are) make these setups have better or worse results. I'm sure there's something I might have misstated, if anyone else wants to jump in.

And I thought Sony would use dedicated server when they put MP behind PS+ paywall. Shame on you Sony

Yeah, it really sucks. A paid service + Sony's most important studio & flagship exclusive...and it still has no dedis? Bullshit. I don't give a crap about the MTs or the 900p, but this fucking sucks ass.

Yurikerr

Not trying to start a console war, but does XB1 exclusives run on dedicated? (genuine question)

I could live with it if they fixed the horrendous matchmaking.

At the very least we should be given location settings. So then at least I can choose to be paired with people from Europe or East US. If the MM is as barebones as it is in TLoU then I'm gonna be really disappointed.

Theorry

Really sucks that devs still can get away with it. And if there was a PC version it would have dedicated servers for sure. Console gamers really need to rise against p2p.

Not trying to start a console war, but does XB1 exclusives run on dedicated? (genuine question)

Halo, GoW and Titanfall do.

Is this a joke post or what

It's a prod in fun I presume, but Blobbers isn't wrong. The argument for paid-online has only a very small leg to stand on, and that's that multiplayer servers have a lot of upkeep costs, so it needs paid-service revenue to offset. If a first-party game is using P2P then just what the hell is PS+ subscription revenue contributing toward.

KainXVIII

Peer to Peer (P2P) means the online code is set up to share and between players with no outside help, and generally someone in the match is chosen as the "host" whose session is where all that data "handshakes" to decide the sequence of events.

Having dedicated servers means there's an outside machine that does all that organizing between players and talks with the game code (in addition to the player machines).

Geography of where players are in relation to each other (and where servers are) make these setups have better or worse results. I'm sure there's something I might have misstated, if anyone else wants to jump in.
Nice, thanks!

Microsoft offers dedicated servers to all games, so the first party ones do, yes. Halo 5 even runs custom games on dedis.

Poor show for Uncharted but I'm not sure how popular the mp is, so perhaps it's expected.

That's too bad that PS+ doesn't offer dedicated servers right off the bat.

Because it really ***** should. Uncharted games always suffer from lag.

What?
I haven't had any lag in any P2P server setup in years.

Microsoft offers dedicated servers to all games, so the first party ones do, yes. Halo 5 even runs custom games on dedis.

Poor show for Uncharted but I'm not sure how popular the mp is, so perhaps it's expected.

H5 is playing smooth as butter but connection wise I'm not noticing any difference between it and Destiny you know that other MP game that barely anyone plays.

Yurikerr

Really sucks that devs still can get away with it. And if there was a PC version it would have dedicated servers for sure. Console gamers really need to rise against p2p.

Halo, GoW and Titanfall do.

Nice, i think that's one more point for the MS online infrastructure.

What?
I haven't had any lag in any P2P server setup in years.
Doesn't Destiny use P2P?

Man, Destiny lag can be brutal sometimes. You even have some instances where players abuse of the p2p system to gain advantage on the time mp events.

Wabba

Disappointed but expected. Never had any problems with previous Naughty Dog games, connecting fast and almost no lag, so i dont fear anything about this game either.

I agree, we really need a twitter campaign or something to let Sony know about this, even though I bet they don't give a fuck about it

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It's a prod in fun I presume, but Blobbers isn't wrong. The argument for paid-online has only a very small leg to stand on, and that's that multiplayer servers have a lot of upkeep costs, so it needs paid-service revenue to offset. If a first-party game is using P2P then just what the hell is PS+ subscription revenue contributing toward.

your psn account, group chat services and the up to 6 games you get every month.

now, I can agree if you are only paying money to access p2p online, but lets not pretend all these come free for the platform holders.

Nice, i think that's one more point for the MS online infrastructure.

Man, Destiny lag can be brutal sometimes. You even have some instances where players abuse of the p2p system to gain advantage on the time mp events.

Are you serious? I have honestly never had that happen to me once and I have over 400 hours in that game. Are you playing in the US?

I agree, we really need a twitter campaign or something to let Sony know about this, even though I bet they don't give a fuck about it

If Uncharted 4 is undeserving of dedicated servers then I doubt any amount of twitter whining will get them to change their mind, unfortunately.

Best we can do is hope for more extensive MM options.

Get ready, by xmas next year the infamous Naughty Dog matchmaking will be grouping players together from Mexico, Europe and Japan. On P2P no less.

Region filter? ND will not add one because it would make it hard some some players to find matches, so screw everyone else I guess is the attitude.

Top Bottom