• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 OPM UK - Details about sandbox elements / Framerate (still aiming for 60)

leeh

If they're running at 37fps, I'd say that's in good range to be able to get 60fps. Keeping in mind optimisation development focus usually happens at the end of the development life cycle.

Sounds good.

valkyre

Something's wrong here. Naughty Dog did not confirm this Jak 3 thing. I've the mag and it's an assumption of the OPM writer. Also all quotes in OPM are from the latest EDGE magazine.

Original Text (page 8):

At no time Naughty Dog were talking about Jak 3.

Well that's kinda lame from them if they just assumed this out of nowhere. But I seriously hope that they at least came to that assumption based on what they heard saw etc.

Meaning, discussions with ND gave them the idea that indeed U4 is aiming for sandbox levels close to Jak3.

Wabba

Holy shit! the Naughty Dog developers has to be out of their minds if they are pushing for 60. It is going to take a lot of time and optimisation for it to reach 60. I just hope that they don't get burnt out. I love 60 FPS and playing TLOU made me realise how much better it is, but if it effect the game in any way like gameplay elements that they have to take out or graphical updates that makes a big impact, it would be better to just have 30.

omonimo

Banned
ND should stop to talk of 60 fps. That's it. I'm not sure how works on ND studio but an engine with in mind 60 fps it's completely different to game rendered a 30 fps. They risk to sacrifice high details with this confuse potential 'target'.

Mohonky

Yeah I'm 95% sure of it. They really shouldn't have said they were targeting 60.

Shouldnt have said it and yet they are still saying it.

......and they'll continue saying it because while they keep saying they are aiming for 60, some people will parroting that it will be 60.

Kaze2212

......and they'll continue saying it because while they keep saying they are aiming for 60, some people will parroting that it will be 60.

I don't think they would continue saying it if they don't think it is in their reach. Not saying they will hit 60fps because it seems very unlikely in comparison to other games, but if they know for sure that 60fps will be impossible it would do much more harm than good.

bes.gen

i think they are confident to achieve 60.

why else would they still say target is 60fps instead of convincing people benefits of 30fps.

Akiller

It's like their win-win solution, they say they're still targeting to it, they're doing their best to Reach that goal gathering more attention and fans hopes but at the same they didn't confirm them so they could Always say:"Hey, at least we tried!".
Jokes aside i understand the 30 fps For Uncharted, they can't sacrifice the Graphics aspects because i don't think average Uncharted fan buys Uncharted games For the 60 fps.

Hoje0308

Banned
Even if they said it will be the most open ND game since Jak 3, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will as open as that game, only that is will be more so than the games that have followed.
As for people saying they are x% sure it will be 30 or 60, no, you aren't. Unless you're on the dev team you have no idea what the chances are the game will release at either frame rate. Any attempt to assign probability to such a thing is plain nonsense and makes you sound worse than an armchair quarterback.

Edit: They're only saying 60 because they know people will spread that as fact? What's this assumption based upon, exactly? It's far from a win-win when you have fans and fanboys trumpeting 60 frames all year only to say "Welp, it's actually going to release at 30." I don't see how that's productive.

I prefer 30 with superb graphics... All this talk about 60 in UC4 makes me worried

Agreed, The outside world also probably dont care for 30/60 talk. Show them visuals that are astounding and a killer TV advert then the game will sell well.

I would rather have 30 with extra added graphical magic, But if they can get to 60 then at least noone can question them on anything.

It's like their win-win solution, they say they're still targeting to it, they're doing their best to Reach that goal gathering more attention and fans hopes but at the same they didn't confirm them so they could Always say:"Hey, at least we tried!".
Jokes aside i understand the 30 fps For Uncharted, they can't sacrifice the Graphics aspects because i don't think average Uncharted fan buys Uncharted games For the 60 fps.
More like lose-lose situation, if they achieve 60fps some people will just be dissapointed and wondering what 30fps could have look like and if they can't get it to 60fps and locked it down to 30fps, the pro60fps guys will say they shouldn't have raise expectation and not deliver, while the pro30fps guys basically didn't get the best visual they could have since ND disn't try to push the visual as hard as they could from the start like The Order did.

thelastword

Banned
I highly doubt it'll be 60. Uncharted has to be a series where Sony shows what the Playstation can do. Commit to 60 and you'll just sacrifice a lot of the visuals to performance, which is a sacrifice they won't be willing to make.
I think it's more about the gameplay and level design. A naughty dog game at 60 can rival most other games at 30fps. Don't forget that all the Jak games were 60fps, had huge levels, no load times (Jak1) and were some of the best looking games with the best effects at release. I mean, it's not like this is being developed by high voltage.

I guess 60 might be better for mp too.

I think it's more about the gameplay and level design. A naughty dog game at 60 can rival most other games at 30fps. Don't forget that all the Jak games were 60fps, had huge levels, no load times (Jak1) and were some of the best looking games with the best effects at release. I mean, it's not like this is being developed by high voltage.

I guess 60 might be better for mp too.

What does this mean exactly?

Someone educate me

It's always 30 or 60fps

Would 45 be ok as a compromise - or does something with TV's make this pointless?

kpaadet

I don't understand why they don't just say we're going for 30fps, and then if they can achive 60fps it will come as a positive surprise instead of the disappointment when they can't do 60fps. Seem so backwards to me.

I don't understand why they don't just say we're going for 30fps, and then if they can achive 60fps it will come as a positive surprise instead of the disappointment when they can't do 60fps. Seem so backwards to me.
Because you don't lowball yourself pre-release. ND have made thebgrave error of actually sticking a figure on it, though.

kpaadet

Because you don't lowball yourself pre-release. ND have made thebgrave error of actually sticking a figure on it, though.

They shouldn't lowball themselves internally, but going public with a goal that is still in the air just scream awful PR planning.

Someone educate me

It's always 30 or 60fps

Would 45 be ok as a compromise - or does something with TV's make this pointless?

I'm no expert, but screen tearing (V-Sync off) or stuttering (V-Sync on) will be a problem when the game isn't rendering in sync with the monitor's refresh rate (60Hz).

After ND mention how great 60fps is for tlou remastered and how it's hard to go back, someone will ask ND about U4 frameratesooner or later even if ND hadn't mention it during reveal.

VeeP

Linear != bad.

Not at all. But some freedom is good. I'm not saying lets make Uncharted an open world game, all
I'm saying is some freedom and choice in encounters is great.

Halo does a great job of this. It's a linear game, but combat encounters can be approached differently. Compare Halo to Call of Duty. In Call of Duty every battle is the same. Except gun/equipment.

More choices =/= less polished game.

orioto

Good Art™
I thought the trailer was quite cool. It had a gameplay focus, which is nice. They've openly talked about what the want to achieve with the game and that's really cool. We can get a cinematic trailer full of explosions and Drake wrecking shit in one of the big 2015 conferences (E3, GamesCom, TGS) since they're probably going to market Uncharted as much as posible.

I don't understand the part of platforms being messy before. Uncharted usually used really different colours for the grips and stuff you were supposed to use to climb. I've had almost 0 problems knowing where to go in Uncharted games.

The biggest change IMO was that there were more option with the hook and rope. I agree that the platforming definitely feels better.

It definitely is nice that they're doing an overhaul to the series while keeping what makes it really good IMO. Uncharted 2 to 3 were to same-y (and even 1, but the jump between the original and the second was huge). Those tweaks will be a nice way to avoid franchise fatigue.
__

About the bolded part: Maybe it was a typo, maybe you're not a native speaker (like me). But funny = something that makes you laugh. The word there is fun.

Fun then indeed :p
What you say about the visual ergonomy of old uncharted games is interesting cause for me, that series has been the best example of developers trying to hide the "game" aspect at th expense of it. I remember areas where i had no clue where i was even walking in the first uncharted in the jungle, cause of strong shadows and contrast, for exemple. Or things being climbable somewhere and not anymore somewhere else. The balance between embellishment of the background and usable part could be a total mess sometimes.

Anyway all that to say UC4 seems like a direction change for that matter.

Someone educate me

It's always 30 or 60fps

Your TV updates at 60Hz all day long, never changes. If you have a 60FPS game, all the frames your console sends out will perfectly match up with the TV's refresh rate, looking nice and smooth. With 30FPS games the TV just shows each frame twice, so it still syncs up nicely. With 45 FPS, the TV would have to show one frame once, then the next frame twice, then the third frame once, and so on, which looks stuttery and awful. When you start getting games that fluctuate wildly from like low-20s to 30, or 60 down to 40ish, shit looks turrrrible.

kmax

I've already come to terms that it won't be 60. It's a shame after that reveal trailer, but I prefer having my expectations in order, because the game is going to be good regardless.

Business

If it's not 60 it will be a shame as I take it we will end up with a worst result than if they targetted 30 from the beginning.

Javin98

Banned
Well, this article doesn't exactly confirm the frame rate but if ND is still aiming for 60FPS, that's good. But if Uncharted 4 ends up being 30FPS, I'm fine with that too. Whether 30 or 60, we can all be sure that ND will still create one of the best looking games in the market, albeit a better looking one at 30FPS. Why can't people on the Internet just calm down and wait for the game to release? Don't quote me on this, but I'm confident that lots of crow will be served at E3 when a new trailer is released. Seriously though, how can people be disappointed when the character model looks like this:
drakeunchartedin-game610.jpg

This is the best looking character model in video games IMO.
Someone please inform me if the link for this image is against the ToS

Rozart

Never played Jak so I don't know how big of a sandbox that is. I just hope they don't get too caught up in making a big, open map that lose sight of other things. (*cough*DA:I*cough)

...climbing will not be easy, in fact you run the risk of falling to a minimum imbalance, if Nathan will not attempt to maintain balance while climbing.

Ugghh. The more I read about this game the more the hype and excitement builds.

The comparison to Jak is interesting, cause i've been thinking about that.

It's funny but Naughty pulls a Nintendo here. They clearly decided to use the PS4 tech for gameplay, and the demo they showed was indeed more focused on gameplay features, fun, size of the map.. More than that, they actually made the "platforms" more flat, ergonomic and clear, rather than trying to be all realistic and messy like before. That map looked kinda like a 3D platformer.

That's precisely why many people were disappointed. ND is meant to achieve cinematic magic, and they actually focused on making a funny game.

Not really. Like the others have said, from what I've seen that gameplay snippet was met with lots of excitement (it's GAF most anticipated game this year after all and publications like EDGE proceeded to name it the 'biggest' (figuratively) game of the year as well). Plus, not even counting the fact that the game is far from finished, it's not like they showed us a mediocre-looking game. The game is still really stunning.

I do agree with your observation about the game adopting elements of the 3D platformer. I always thought it was such a huge wasted opportunity that the Uncharted firefights mostly took place on just a flat level. And now, seeing how ND seems to be aiming for more dynamic maps-- gawd, that really excites me.

KingFire

Banned
ND screwed up by releasing that 60 fps demo. What a waste. Now they have to pretty much be in damage control until they release the game.

If they reach a similar result to Infamous SS, I'll be satisfied, though fixed 60 fps > all.

The info about sandbox gameplay is awesome too :) Looks like this will be the best Uncharted by far.

Give me 30 or 60, I don't really care but stable please. And most important thing, I want to have the feeling I'm going through a big adventure like it was in Uncharted 2 (for me).

But reading some parts makes me confident. They seem to focus on gameplay a lot, they want this game to be a big step in the franchise. I can't wait to see more.

reKon

Banned
It's going to be interesting how many hours of single player campaign gameplay time I put into this. TLoU has like 3 playthroughs from me already and I might do another one just for fun. Hoping that they can make it 60 fps because TLoU spoiled me. Completely understandable if they don't though. If really nail down the melee, I see this being top TPS for a long time (MGS 5 seems to have some awesome melee at times, but I'm not sure if it's contextual like Uncharted is aiming to be).

Thrakier

This seems almost oxymoronic.

Almost? It definitly is. But the joke is: They have to say, they do this to not hurt gameplay so graphic guys have a better excuse. It's weird because they can't come out and say "we do 30 because then the game looks better", that seems to be hard to justify, albeit almost every dev does that and 95% of gamers are happy with that.

What a weird, weird world.

After ND mention how great 60fps is for tlou remastered and how it's hard to go back, someone will ask ND about U4 frameratesooner or later even if ND hadn't mention it during reveal.

Of course they're going to mention how great 60FPS TLoU:R is at it is a USP for a "new" product. That in no way means it's now their design philosophy going forward or they should, realistically, be held accountable to it.

And yeah of course someone would ask about it, they can just bat the question aside like everyone else does - "we're not discussing that right now / optimising / we'll base our final figure on what's best for game play". I'm not sure what big game developer has recently come out and said specifically we're targeting 60FPS (cynically DICE with BF4?) which is why it was odd on their part.

Thrakier

Of course they're going to mention how great 60FPS TLoU:R is at it is a USP for a "new" product. That in no way means it's now their design philosophy going forward or they should, realistically, be held accountable to it.

And yeah of course someone would ask about it, they can just bat the question aside like everyone else does - "we're not discussing that right now / optimising / we'll base our final figure on what's best for game play". I'm not sure what big game developer has recently come out and said specifically we're targeting 60FPS (cynically DICE with BF4?) which is why it was odd on their part.

If you shout out statements like these:

Will 60fps become the new standard in games?

"We hope so," Gregory said. "It used to just be that first-person shooters were 60 by default, but a lot of other games didn't feel the need for it. I think we're showing that it does make a difference even in a non-FPS type game."

"There was an internal debate just over the artistic-ness of going 30 or 60, and whether or not it would feel weird. Pretty much every person who had said, 'I'm a 30 Hz person, I don't know if I could play it at 60.' When they finally saw it, they said, 'Nevermind, I'm convinced.' "

"Since some people asked for it, we added an optional 30fps mode (gameplay & cinematics). My pref is 60fps all the way."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-last-of-us-remastered-devs-discuss-making-60fp/1100-6421147/

and you don't make it your new design philosophy afterwards, you are a hypocrit. They were lieing back then or lieing now, decide for yourself.

I mean are you fucking kidding me? They sure as fuck know exactly what 60FPS brings to the table and all what happened is that in some management meeting guys in suits decided that being "graphical leader" is way more important than gameplay. "It's our USP and we are afraid to loose it."

That is all that is happening. It's ok to choose graphics over gameplay. Just don't pretend that you don't. Just stop spewing bullshit like "not hurting gameplay by trying to reach 60FPS". Just stop.

Top Bottom