• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 OPM UK - Details about sandbox elements / Framerate (still aiming for 60)

kyser73

Has anyone linked to the actual PSM article? The quoted one in the OP is written by someone with EaSL and is riddled with grammatical errors. Not really the best foundation for a debate, no?

Out of curiousity, when was the last time that ND shot themselves in the foot?

Hey, there is a first time for everything.

Bungie hadn't shot themselves in the foot before, then Destiny came along.

All I am saying is they need to settle this 60 FPS thing one way or the other and the sooner, the better.

IMO they should either make a firm commitment to 60 FPS and make the concessions they need to in order to make that happen or they should go 30 FPS and use the extra power to beef up the graphical fidelity to the maximum.

MAX PAYMENT

You dont get 10million sales without enticing the casuals. They need their glowing arrows and listen mode, because stealth is hard guys.

Honestly as long as I can turn the handholding off, im fine. Grounded Mode was what the game should have been, but that would have sold maybe 3 million

I don't think there's a way to turn off the handholding.

Why does it have to be Uncharted?

They already have Driveclub, Infamous: SS and The Order that does that nicely.

The game being a first party exclusive already means they can get a lot out of 60fps, compared to a multiplat running on the same system.
Uncharted bigger than all of them.

I dunno, maybe we'll get an unlocked option like TLOU. Personally, DC is 30 but the sense of speed is still amazing, so I would prefer 60, but I'm ok with amazing visuals at 30 too.

Out of curiousity, when was the last time that ND shot themselves in the foot?

According to google:
Naughty Dog just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about corporate culture (I'm an expert), but forcibly pushing people out is part of it. It's not like it is in the indie scene where you can become successful by being an amicably hiring people. If you hire someone in a big time study like Naughty Dog, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is to force them out.

What this means is the average person, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase any Naughty Dog game for any system, nor will they purchase any of Sony's products. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Naughty Dog has alienated an entire market with this move.

Druckmann, publicly apologize and fire this man, or kiss your business goodbye .

CHC

This whole 60 FPS thing is just going to end up shooting them in the foot, like it did the Driveclub team, if they end up reneging on their commitment to it.

Except there IS no commitment to it. The game is probably nearly a year off at this point, these things are not set in stone. People call for more open development and then constantly cling to every word that developers say like it's a solemn promise.

Javin98

Banned
Did you read the OP? this is not the in-game model which is not on the same level of quality as the cut scene model according to ND.
Where in my post did I say this was in game? A real time cutscene model can still be the best looking model in video games

I think this is the gameplay model at the moment:
First, where did I say that was the in game model? Second, like others have said that is the model with flat lighting. You can't possibly tell me that you don't see that the model looks so simplistic because it's missing depth and shadows?

I hope the comments about sandbox elements are not just lip service. I really liked that in The Last of Us the areas were almost always quite open so you had different ways of approaching or avoiding the enemies - if ND can increase the scale of that it would be awesome. That combat gameplay they've already shown looked great.

They've already shown an area that was pretty "sandboxy" in the E3 demo and that looks like it looked and played fantastic IMO.

Well, this article doesn't exactly confirm the frame rate but if ND is still aiming for 60FPS, that's good. But if Uncharted 4 ends up being 30FPS, I'm fine with that too. Whether 30 or 60, we can all be sure that ND will still create one of the best looking games in the market, albeit a better looking one at 30FPS. Why can't people on the Internet just calm down and wait for the game to release? Don't quote me on this, but I'm confident that lots of crow will be served at E3 when a new trailer is released. Seriously though, how can people be disappointed when the character model looks like this:
drakeunchartedin-game610.jpg

This is the best looking character model in video games IMO.
Someone please inform me if the link for this image is against the ToS

This.

And they already served plenty of crow back at E3, over a year before the game was coming out. Can't wait to see it at this year's E3.

Also knowing ND they are probably running gameplay related systems (AI, larger environments than they've done before, etc.) that are probably killer on framerate that still benefit the gameplay.

Javin98

Banned
They've already shown an area that was pretty "sandboxy" in the E3 demo and that looks like it looked and played fantastic IMO.

This.

And they already served plenty of crow back at E3, over a year before the game was coming out. Can't wait to see it at this year's E3.

Also knowing ND they are probably running gameplay related systems (AI, larger environments than they've done before, etc.) that are probably killer on framerate that still benefit the gameplay.
Yup, I agree completely. Most people either try to deny or ignore it but frame rate is not the only thing that improves gameplay. Better AI and larger environments are more important to me than higher frame rates. And if the game already looked this good back at PSX, we're all in a visual treat.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
as stated before 30 fps for single player to be a looker, 60 fps for multi player with a small downgrade

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Just make it full 30 across the board. Nobody really cares about this stuff, people keep going on about it as if its going to affect their purchase of the game

Just make it full 30 across the board. Nobody really cares about this stuff, people keep going on about it as if its going to affect their purchase of the game

Ummmm I'm sorry dude, but they REALLY do.

Otherwise, there wouldn't be such a big deal about it.

Its not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination, but there is a REAL desire to see the game run at 60 frames.

The main deal here is bragging rights, but parity is a major factor too. I am sure Sony wants this deal to compete with Halo 5, which is set to be 60 FPS.

Game4life

Banned

Its not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination, but there is a REAL desire to see the game run at 60 frames.

The main deal here is bragging rights, but parity is a major factor too. I am sure Sony wants this deal to compete with Halo 5, which is set to be 60 FPS.

ND wont give a shit about Halo or what it is doing.

Metfanant

I think the point is however, that UC was one of the most critically acclaimed franchises of the generation...being 30fps didn't hinder that...and 60fps would not have made a difference either...except to take away the fact that they were visual centerpieces...

In fact, I'd buy an argument that 60fps might have taken away from UC 1-3 by compromising the visuals too much

I don't really think Sony is going after Halo with Uncharted...

AfroDust

I bet if they got rid of the chest hair physics they could hit 60fps. But it doesn't matter to me. I'll play and enjoy the game regardless of its frame rate.

Here we go again...?

It's not. A game is not all about gameplay, gameplay is not all about fps. Uncharted is a very solid TPS but it's also crazy playable set pieces and stunning visuals and if they can't achieve what they want at 60, they'll do it at 30.
Man I swear, if I notice that ND makes sacrifices to the "Uncharted formula" just to make happy these "60fps or nothing" individuals, I'll be very disappointed. Enough of devs tha listen to the wrong people, please.

People should stop this faux-pandering rhetoric. No practical developer is going to target a specific frame-rate to appease certain mentalities - you either develop the game for that target or not. Developers have a certain type of game design and will need to use everything they have in order to deliver; never mind the issues with bug checking, QA or even re-hauling levels and other assets to be finalised into before the gold master - it's already complicated as it is. Shoehorning 60fps alternatively within the production cycle simply doesn't work in closed systems like this unless they somehow feel the need to discard everything to achieve that frame-rate.

Persona7

Banned
So they really are aiming for a large open world and not just sandbox "features" or whatever people were talking about in the last thread?

Game4life

Banned
So they really are aiming for a large open world and not just sandbox "features" or whatever people were talking about in the last thread?

They are not aiming large open world. That is a misquote I believe. There will be wide levels ( even wider than the ones seen in the PSX demo ) there will also be focused intimate levels when appropriate. It will be bigger than the previous games but not open world.

Aces&Eights

I think the toggle option a la TLOU is the best scenario. For those who want the 60fps and don't mind less assets they can choose to run the game at 60. For those who think 30 is fine and want the eye candy, they can pick 30. Honestly, for all the debate frames per seconds gets, I don't know why more developers don't just make that a feature like turning off the HUD, hints, etc. Can someone from TechGAF comment if it's too much work to add in or something?.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it would add a lot to replayability. Play at 30 on hard mode for the 1st run though to marvel at the graphics. Then, replay on crushing and get the butter smooth 60 for better action. I think I am on to something here....lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
enemy AI and world interactivity? Unless Uncharted 4 is a drastic departure from the prior three games in the series you aren't going to have to worry about those.
I'm not worried because I've seen what they look like in the gameplay video they've released. And they look phenomenal, and far more advanced than in previous games. It's understandable they wouldn't want to scale down from that ambition if they can't get it running at 60.

Demon Ice

Banned

You're very new to GAF, aren't you

Yes I'm sure the developer of a PS4-exclusive third person action platformer is awfully concerned about the performance of an XB1-exclusive first person shooter.

Your tag is incredibly appropriate.

Edit: Is it just me or does the model in this image:

Look different from the UC4 model in this image:

fwIGbxK.jpg

Is that purely due to the lighting or is one of the models more up to date?

DevilFox

People should stop this faux-pandering rhetoric. No practical developer is going to target a specific frame-rate to appease certain mentalities - you either develop the game for that target or not.

I think the same but in these last 2 years frame rate has become such a big deal that whenever I read about it from devs, I can't help but think that there's at least a little desire to "stand out" or prove something, if you know what I mean. I don't need this silly things in my daily gaming.

jett

D-Member
You're very new to GAF, aren't you

Yes I'm sure the developer of a PS4-exclusive third person action platformer is awfully concerned about the performance of an XB1-exclusive first person shooter.

Your tag is incredibly appropriate.

fwIGbxK.jpg

The bottom model doesn't have any lighting whatsoever applied to it. That's what is making the difference.

Bells and whistles at 1080p 30 fps is more realistic. This is a closed platform which allows developers to really push the hardware, but miracle machines and high end PCs it is not.

Dunkley

Hmm, I wonder if they could offer an uncapped framerate mode with less detailed shading/textures like Guilty Gear did.

Wouldn't be capped 60fps I am sure but I am sure people would appreciate the option of trading visual fidelty for smoother gameplay.

DieH@rd

Banned

fwIGbxK.jpg

If I remember keynote talk correctly, that "flat" U4 model is from Maya or some other modeling software.

Hopefully it's not too open world. I like the idea of expand pasing TLOU in that regard but not too much where the pacing, one of the best things about Uncharted would get damaged for it. NG, please make sure to strike the right equilibrium.

Hopefully it's not too open world. I like the idea of expand pasing TLOU in that regard but not too much where the pacing, one of the best things about Uncharted would get damaged for it. NG, please make sure to strike the right equilibrium.

If you thought the PSX demo looked fine, then you have nothing to worry about. That demo section had multiple paths you could take.

Alo0oy

Banned

Naughty Dog isn't aiming for the Halo audience, why would they care what Halo does? & do you think the general public gives a crap about FPS? The biggest game of all time (GTA V) wasn't even stable 30fps.

Gurish

People don't believe it!
I don't think anyone argued cut scenes are real time, people did argue about the reveal indicating in game visuals + running in 60, and they were right not believing this as the gameplay didn't look as good as well as the cut scenes (+ran in 30 on top of it)

It's pretty obvious the cut scenes are real time, in the PSX demo Drake is picking up an AK during the fight and the model of the gun appeared in the cut scene when he meet with his brother so it's obviously real time.

I don't think anyone argued cut scenes are real time, people did argue about the reveal indicating in game visuals + running in 60, and they were right not believing this as the gameplay didn't look as good as well as the cut scenes (+ran in 30 on top of it)

It's pretty obvious the cut scenes are real time, in the PSX demo Drake is picking up an AK during the fight and the model of the gun appeared in the cut scene when he meet with his brother so it's obviously real time.

Yeah, good point!

Javin98

Banned

I have a feeling in less than a month everyone will forget all about that Uncharted 4 downgrade bullshit

orava

He means good framerate improves gameplay. The way it's worded it sounds as if they say good framerate could get in the way of achieveing smooth gameplay.

They are just covering all the bases. Didn't achieve 60fps? "Uh.. it negatively affected the gameplay... Yes, that's the reason!"

Top Bottom