• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 OPM UK - Details about sandbox elements / Framerate (still aiming for 60)

DOWN

Banned
Why does it have to be Uncharted?

They already have Driveclub, Infamous: SS and The Order that does that nicely.

The game being a first party exclusive already means they can get a lot out of 60fps, compared to a multiplat running on the same system.
Two of those are PR nightmares and one of those is a B-movie shadow of their bigger franchise, Uncharted. So Uncharted needs to be the ultimate PlayStation pitch. The game friends show friends in hopes they'll all get it.

Kaze2212

"Downgrade bullshit"?

What downgrade? How can there be a downgrade when the gameplay has only been shown once?

He was probably referring to the comparison between the gameplay demo and the E3 trailer. If you don't know what I am talking about, do yourself a favor and don't change that. That was ridiculous - lol.

Javin98

Banned
"Downgrade bullshit"?

What downgrade? How can there be a downgrade when the gameplay has only been shown once?
That's the problem. We only saw gameplay once, which is in pre alpha, and everyone was like "Uncharted 4 was downgraded. ND lied to us!". And no, I'm not exaggerating. We seriously got shit like that after the PSX demo.

If by "downgrade bullshit" you are referring to posts such as this, I agree.
Sorry if I came off a bit harsh, but I'm tired of the industry yelling downgrade at almost every game.

FranXico

Sorry if I came off a bit harsh, but I'm tired of the industry yelling downgrade at almost every game.

That's alright, and I realize I replied a bit too defensively. So, for what is worth, I apologize to you as well.

There certainly is a lot of needless hyperbole going on surrounding the U4 announcement and trailers.

Javin98

Banned
That's alright, and I realize I replied a bit too defensively. So, for what is worth, I apologize to you as well.

There certainly is a lot of needless hyperbole going on surrounding the U4 announcement and trailers.
It's not just Uncharted 4, though. Almost every game that looks great is getting these downgrade accusations. I just can't wait for this E3 demo to blow everyone away.

This seems almost oxymoronic.

Higher framerate could mean less environmental interaction, simpler physics and AI, smaller/more linear levels, fewer enemies on screen etc. There are dozens of potential gameplay enhancing features that could be sacrificed for framerate.

Higher framerate could mean less environmental interaction, simpler physics and AI, smaller/more linear levels, fewer enemies on screen etc. There are dozens of potential gameplay enhancing features that could be sacrificed for framerate.

More people need to realise this. A reduction in framerate doesn't just mean devs can push for better visuals.

FranXico

It's not just Uncharted 4, though. Almost every game that looks great is getting these downgrade accusations. I just can't wait for this E3 demo to blow everyone away.

It doesn''t need to look that amazing in my opinion, it can get away with looking great without being mind-blowing.

The PSX demo impressed me the most because of the gameplay additions, and still some people found a way to complain about the graphics, when the game itself was shown to have evolved in ways that matter more.

This. Visuals aside, I'd rather take Uncharted 4 with bigger levels, better physics and enemy AI if it meant sacrificing 60FPS. 60FPS does not always benefit gameplay.

Good point. Especially since most gameplay related effects work is tied to the CPU... and we already know how these CPUs are.

Although, that snappiness of 60fps is such a nice thing for all games.

Gurish

That's the problem. We only saw gameplay once, which is in pre alpha, and everyone was like "Uncharted 4 was downgraded. ND lied to us!". And no, I'm not exaggerating. We seriously got shit like that after the PSX demo.

You are right it is tiring, but you shouldn't blame the gamers, you should ask for a change in how publishers marketing their games, if they will be 100% honest nobody will shout downgrade anymore.

Javin98

Banned
It doesn''t need to look that amazing in my opinion, it can get away with looking great without being mind-blowing.

The PSX demo impressed me the most because of the gameplay additions, and still some people found a way to complain about the graphics, when the game itself was shown to have evolved in ways that matter more.
Yeah, perhaps the gameplay was the most impressive improvement, but the PSX demo still looks mind blowing for a game that is far from release.

Good point. Especially since most gameplay related effects work is tied to the CPU... and we already know how these CPUs are.

Trust me, I would love to have a 60FPS Uncharted game, but if gameplay features have to be sacrificed to achieve it, I'd rather not.

You are right it is tiring, but you shouldn't blame the gamers, you should ask for a change in how publishers marketing their games, if they will be 100% honest nobody will shout downgrade anymore.
If it's a legit downgrade, sure. But let's not forget all the other games that were accused of being downgraded, but actually weren't. Remember KZ:SF, I:SS and Driveclub?

PS4 has 4 dedicated GPU compute units that can do the some of the works of CPU if they need, so ND can unlock its potential with clever techniques just like they did with PS3 CPU.

sleepykyo

It would probably happen less often if the industry was less misleading.

Harlequin

Honestly, gamers are to blame just as much as publishers IMO. Not for shouting "downgrade" but for being so impatient, for expecting the game to look as good as the retail version in a pre-aplha presentation and just generally being too demanding and having too high expectations when it comes to a game's marketing campaign and pre-release showings. I mean, look at what happened with Ubisoft. They show early Watch Dogs gameplay and gimp it up to try and simulate what they feel the final version could look like (well, or they were being purposefully deceptive, but let's just asssume it was the former) and then afterwards everyone shouts downgrade. So they show more honest, worse-looking footage (probably what the actual game running on their dev kits looks like right now) for Assassin's Creed: Syndicate and suddenly people start complaining about the bad graphics. Same thing with release dates. Everyone is always going on and on about how they finally want to know a title's release date so publishers try to announce them early (earlier than is reasonable a lot of the time, really - although they also do that because of the pre-order sales, obviously). But then those same people start complaining when the game gets delayed or released in an unpolished state. It's not just the gamers and it's not just the publishers. It's both of them.

Javin98

Banned
Honestly, gamers are to blame just as much as publishers IMO. Not for shouting "downgrade" but for being so impatient, for expecting the game to look as good as the retail version in a pre-aplha presentation and just generally being too demanding and having too high expectations when it comes to a game's marketing campaign and pre-release showings. I mean, look at what happened with Ubisoft. They show early Watch Dogs gameplay and gimp it up to try and simulate what they feel the final version could look like (well, or they were being purposefully deceptive, but let's just asssume it was the former) and then afterwards everyone shouts downgrade. So they show more honest, worse-looking footage (probably what the actual game running on their dev kits looks like right now) for Assassin's Creed: Syndicate and suddenly people start complaining about the bad graphics. Same thing with release dates. Everyone is always going on and on about how they finally want to know a title's release date so publishers try to announce them early (earlier than is reasonable a lot of the time, really - although they also do that because of the pre-order sales, obviously). But then those same people start complaining when the game gets delayed or released in an unpolished state. It's not just the gamers and it's not just the publishers. It's both of them.
Good post, man. Really sums up gamers and the industry as a whole. If I didn't consider gaming to be a hobby, sometimes I just wish the industry would crash. Gamers can get really ridiculous these days.

A little of topic but has anyone else noticed that when you view the featured list on the live from playstation app, you see a naughty dog emblem and a blank screen? I have been noticing it for about a week now. My friends streams will pop up on the featured list and the ND blank is always the first one. It might not mean anything but I always check my featured list and didn't notice it there a few weeks ago.

On Demand

Banned
A little of topic but has anyone else noticed that when you view the featured list on the live from playstation app, you see a naughty dog emblem and a blank screen? I have been noticing it for about a week now. My friends streams will pop up on the featured list and the ND blank is always the first one. It might not mean anything but I always check my featured list and didn't notice it there a few weeks ago.

Yeah they did the same thing with Killzone. It said 10th anniversary. Don't know what the Naughty Dog one is for. There was another one before that said Playstation.

I honestly have no idea what any of these mean. Are they going to stream something? When I click them nothing happens.

Raysod

Banned
I am sure that the guys from Naughty Dog will give us another great game and personally I don’t care so much for the frame rate of the title, as long as it is a solid 30 fps locked experience – although I admit that I got spoiled by the 60 fps from Last of Us remaster.

Sony before and during the PS4 launch made a lot of its first party studios to overpromise on their titles, especially on their frame rates and – please correct me if I am wrong – we still do not have a 1080p 60fps first party AAA title from Sony.

Driveclub, Infamous SS, The Order, Bloodborne, Killzone Shadowfall are all games that run on 30 fps (or below 60 fps when unlocked)…

So what I want to see in the next Uncharted game is a lot of gameplay innovation, great npc interaction (the AI of Ellie on Last of Us was great), great story/writing and a great adventure overall! :D

And I am sure that the studio will deliver as it always do!

Top Bottom