• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 review embargo lifts May 5 at 12 AM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, I might stay up for these reviews. 3am here on the east coast is too late. I know thats mostly for the west coast however.

When does this game go up for pre load? I pre ordered from the PSN store.

Edit: Nevermind, checked the PSN count down and it says May 8th.

thuway

I've talked to one reviewer who won't tell me his score but said the game literally oozes of passion. It's his favorite Naughty Dog game by far.

Take it for what you will. He wouldn't talk to me about the game further.

farisr

I'm more interested in Angry Joe's opinion tbh. I want to see how he reacts if the game really is so great that there are almost no negative can be found

Well he gave the TLOU remaster a 10/10, so I suppose watching that review can give you a good indication as to what the uncharted 4 review will be like if it turns out to be really great with almost no negatives.

I've talked to one reviewer who won't tell me his score but said the game literally oozes of passion. It's his favorite Naughty Dog game by far.

Take it for what you will. He wouldn't talk to me about the game further.

Literally? What does oozing passion look like?

Wait...don't tell me.

93 Metacritic. Only Bloodborne and The Last Of Us match my excitement for a game in recent years.

I would not be shocked by a 95 though. 93 is my pessimistic, lowball prediction...

Griss

I'm very, very interested to see how this reviews. The original Uncharteds feel very, very dated to me already from a gameplay point of view. I think I was so blown away by the story, art and set pieces that I didn't notice that at the time.

So I reckon they'll have had to reinvent large parts of this to get 90+ scores. Unfortunately, since I've been on blackout, I have no idea if they've done that.

But as it's Naughty Dog, I'd be shocked if the game was anything less than excellent.

FTF

shoot higher and have it tie ocarina of time as the highest rated game with a 99.

That's only with 22 reviews though, go to 28 and it's a 97.5%:

http://www.gamerankings.com/n64/197771-the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time/index.html

93 Metacritic. Only Bloodborne and The Last Of Us match my excitement for a game in recent years.

I would not be shocked by a 95 though. 93 is my pessimistic, lowball prediction...

lol things are dangerous when 93 is a lowball pessimistic prediction

I'm very, very interested to see how this reviews. The original Uncharteds feel very, very dated to me already from a gameplay point of view. I think I was so blown away by the story, art and set pieces that I didn't notice that at the time.

So I reckon they'll have had to reinvent large parts of this to get 90+ scores.
Unfortunately, since I've been on blackout, I have no idea if they've done that.

But as it's Naughty Dog, I'd be shocked if the game was anything less than excellent.

They did. This is way more than just a prettier version of the PS3 games.

Elixist

guessing 94 mc. first impressions seem hella strong and the game has a long campaign (for the moviesh action adventure genre) as well.

Orayn

I'm expecting a wall of shame. Whatever the reviews are, they will inspire people to make complete and utter asses of themselves.

Putty

Let's say.....93 with possibly 94......could at a push hit 95. Any of these scenarios would be a stunning achievement given how games this gen have generally reviewed.

kennyamr

idk why but I'm really positive about this one, way more than I should. 92 seems like a good choose for me but nah, I'll be more adventurous this time, I predict a whopping 96 in metacritic. BOOM.

well, lets play the game before we talk about gameplay

Were you guys sleeping under a rock?? Three gameplay showcases, two betas isn't enough to gauge this?? There's been loads of previews, impressions from the final copy with beta gameplay to judge.

The game is way more than just a better looking Uncharted.

GHG

Let's face it, the game could get a 100 metascore and there would be GAF meltdowns.

I look forward to the thread.

No I meant why do Uncharted scores elicit such strong emotions? I think I read Zelda fans can be pretty crazy so maybe it isn't the only game. I don't really remember many people freaking out when Halo 5 got a relatively low score though.

Twilight Princess getting an 8.8 from Gerstmann makes those Uncharted 3 reactions look positively tame.

No I meant why do Uncharted scores elicit such strong emotions? I think I read Zelda fans can be pretty crazy so maybe it isn't the only game. I don't really remember many people freaking out when Halo 5 got a relatively low score though.
That's because the fanbase had turned on 343's vision of Halo well before reviewers had

Elixist

halo 4 eased people into that, expectations were already adjusted.

Gurish

We are 3 years into this gen and no game passed the 93 MC, more than that, there is only one lousy game that got to the 93 MC as well.

So yea, statistics are against it, that's why I also predict a 90-93, but if there is one dev that can break the statistic it's ND, so I think this game got the best chance until Zelda, or in a worse case, GTA6 releases.

I really hope they can, would be nice to get a really high consensus like we did in previous gens.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
okay so this time, everyone stay calm.

Lol. Mods will be in this mood that day

giphy.gif

dugdug

Banned
lol @ people predicting Polygon will give an Uncharted game a high review score.

Y'all know Gies still runs shit over there, right? He's been waiting for this moment.

Imma go with 84.

bwakh

Predicting an easily 90+ metacritic score. Game looks phenomenal and nothing I've seen of this game makes me doubt ND's quality.

Man, people are already debating/worried about gameplay improvements and Polygon bias. I can see the wall of shame from miles away. Wasn't the Uncharted Collection review thread also locked down because of certain meltdowns?

People have some crazy expectations from ND. This gen it's been super tough for games to score in the 90's.

When your last 3 games are 96, 93 and 95 I would say these lofty expectations are quite rational and well deserved. I think the people predicting mid 80s are the crazy ones!

If it's more of the same Uncharted as U3 was I think we will see low 90s, high 80s. Many were disappointed that U3 was just raising the stakes on set pieces and little else

Two things I think people really want:

1) More freedom and clear growth in how the game plays to feel succinctly different from the last few

2) Some genuine depth to the story telling. Real stakes and real emotion. TLOU set such a high bar for this and U3 set such a low bar so it's hard to know where it will fall

It feels like the characters have been treading water for 3 games with no real growth or emotional stake. That's very much the popcorn vibe they have gone for, but as fans we want more

If it hits these as ND is capable of then we will see some big scores yet again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom