• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Status
Not open for further replies.

viveks86

UPDATE 2016 - ONE LAST TIME:

This thread is older than my daughter. She is in college now, working part time so she can afford to play this masterpiece. No idea why this has been bumped from the grave.

J/K. I don't have children yet. But I could have. Seriously. What's wrong with you people? Bye

UPDATE:

This thread is old and is referring to the original reveal, not the PSX gameplay we had seen later, which was running at locked 30. There has been a lot of developments since and we don't know if ND will still hit 60 (ND doesn't seem to know either). Fingers crossed, but it is time to reconcile with the harsh reality of development!

We have multiple sources for this, so it seemed to warrant a dedicated thread.

Source 1:

http://gamingbolt.com/uncharted-4s-trailer-was-a-part-of-an-actual-level-in-the-game-was-all-in-engine

They (Naughty Dog’s Studio Coordinator Rodney Reece and Lead FX Artist Keith Guerrette) confirmed to us that the Uncharted 4 trailer showcased during Sony’s E3 2014 press conference was a part of an actual level in game. Secondly, they also confirmed that the entire trailer was running in real time on the PlayStation 4 and it was all in-engine.

Source 2:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1854335&postcount=265

No, it is definitely real-time, (as my post yesterday might hint) I had one of their devs explicitly confirm to me yesterday that it is running in real time, on a single PS4 and not pre-recorded.

Beginning with Uncharted 4, all Naughty Dog games will feature completely in engine, real time, 3D cutscenes (if they even stay cutscenes anymore), a huge performance departure from what they used to ship.

This post has been corroborated by a dev at Ubisoft, Montreal (Thanks, Shinobi):

PMeFHea.png

Source3:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-watch-uncharted-4-and-the-last-of-us-at-60-fps
We've studied the video in a little more depth and have concluded that it's definitely running at native 1080p resolution (as opposed to being rendered at a very high resolution, then scaled down - a process known as super-sampling). Small clipping anomalies, a touch of specular aliasing on Nate's shirt as he sits up, along with some shadow aliasing on his forehead also suggest a real-time render. On the face of it, we're still looking at some pretty incredible anti-aliasing here for a real-time technique on a game running at 60fps, particularly when it comes to the perfect, artefact-free rendering of Nate's hair - but the combination of the low contrast setting, slow camera movement, motion blur and depth of field would work well generally in making aliasing much less of an issue.

Source 4:

PUnpdlx.png

foLzASY.png

nyq0LK7.jpg

Source 5:

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/uncharted_4_a_thiefs_end_2014_e3_trailer/
All footage you see in the trailer was captured completely in engine. That’s Nathan Drake rendered in 1080p full glory using the power of our PS4 engine. All footage you see in the trailer was captured completely in engine. We’re targeting 60fps for Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and as you can see the visual fidelity for our character models will reach new heights. In fact, thanks to the power of the PS4, right now Drake’s Uncharted 4 model is over double the polygons of Joel from The Last of Us PS3.

HQ Trailer

iUZMcBcx4a2SP.png

TeemingLegitimateAvocet.gif

DisastrousHealthyGreatdane.gif

BothBrightGoitered.gif

COLOR CORRECTED VERSION:

I can't even.... no just no, I refuse to believe a native 1080p with next to no aliasing and to top it all off 60fps!! No way lmao, pc games even cg movies don't look this good!

What sorcery is this?

It should not look this good at 60fps wtf!

Gestault

I doubted it for more than a second. I'm really excited to see their art direction so well-developed already for the new systems. The animation and sense of "scene" is among the best we've seen thus far. Considering how quickly their work advanced from Uncharted 1 to 2, I'm more enthusiastic for this gen than I expected after seeing this.

Cool if Naughty Dog are taking the Kojima Productions approach to having real time cut scenes.

Now they just need to let you push a button to zoom in the camera and move it around just to hammer home the point that its real time.

Wont going real time also free up a bunch of blu ray space?

ethomaz

Banned
The terms are the same like I said in the other thread...

What matter it is running in real time at PS4.

Vibranium

Banned
Corrinne Yu was a big win for Naughty Dog. People can worry about creative people leaving, but someone who is technically talented like her is also very important.

Looking forward to seeing more of what they can do.

Spongebob

Banned
The visual bar has been lifted to a whole new level.

This completely smashes what I thought was possible on PS4 at 30fps, but this running on the PS4 in real-time all at 60fps.

The bar has truly been lifted.

Jarmel

Banned
If it's real time, then it's automatically in engine. That would be redundant to even state in the first place.

That said, they're saying it's real time so I have to take them at their word. In which case that's insanely impressive.

Seanspeed

Banned
Quite impressive.

Lets hope the final game runs at a proper 60fps lest Naughty Dog gain the rapture of the #downgrade mob.

Respawn

Banned
Sweet lawd its real. Congrats to ND they fucking did it.

Cool if Naughty Dog are taking the Kojima Productions approach to having real time cut scenes.

Now they just need to let you push a button to zoom in the camera and move it around just to hammer home the point that its real time.

Wont going real time also free up a bunch of blu ray space?

Please stop already.

Honestly, I still can not process it...
This is beyond anything I have seen. God are Sony first party studios (and second) gifted :
The Order 1886, Drive Club, Infamous SS, Killzone SF and now THIS!
Imagine next years guys : A gameplay demo of Uncharted 4 and real time trailer for Cory Barlog's game and, possibly, whatever QD are working on..plus GT7!
My heart is not ready...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom