• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Collection on PC leak just killed my desire to get a PS5 (Techradar)

Lognor

Banned
not going to repeat myself. if they cared about game sales they would not be putting their games on gamepass day one and they would be giving us console sales numbers which after 2014 they stopped giving. If u cant understand what basic English means then not my problem. How has gamepass helped game sales for third party games so far? oh wait it hasnt helped Games to continue to sell less and less on xbox
"Not going to repeat myself" and then goes on to repeat himself. Well done.

I'm going to repeat myself too. Your argument makes no sense. "If they cared about game sales they would give us console sales". You still haven't explained that one. What's the correlation? You're talking shit, dude.

And again, YOU CAN STILL BUY GAMES ON XBOX. Game Pass is not mandatory. Microsoft allows you to buy Game Pass games, and at a discount too!

We have seen Game Pass help a game. The Show did huge numbers on Xbox due to Game Pass (which helped that game due to all the microtransactions in the game). Outriders was going to bomb and it being on Game Pass brought a ton of awareness to the game. Etc etc.

Game Pass is great. Sorry that it triggers you.

Topher

Gold Member
u cant have both. One will either increase and the other decrease. So far game sales in general on xbox have decreased even more since they started pushing gamepass hard and putting their games on their day one. Now a lot of their userbase has this mentally where they will wait for the game to come to gamepass or they wont play it and they want everything on gamepass day one

If that were the case then Microsoft would not have any of their games available for sale on Steam and yet they do and have committed all future games to Steam as well.

umar45

Banned

I'm going to repeat myself too. Your argument makes no sense. "If they cared about game sales they would give us console sales". You still haven't explained that one. What's the correlation? You're talking shit, dude.

And again, YOU CAN STILL BUY GAMES ON XBOX. Game Pass is not mandatory. Microsoft allows you to buy Game Pass games, and at a discount too!

We have seen Game Pass help a game. The Show did huge numbers on Xbox due to Game Pass (which helped that game due to all the microtransactions in the game). Outriders was going to bomb and it being on Game Pass brought a ton of awareness to the game. Etc etc.

lmao i dont give af about gamepass never did and never will. Its not that u cant buy games on xbox its that Microsoft have already cultivated this mindset with certain users where they will wait for the game to come to gamepass or they wont play it and they want everything on gamepass day one. Also outriders still bombed , the game is pretty much dead hardly anyone is talking about it or playing it Did gamepass help hades , re8, Lost Judgement , Hitman 3 and a bunch of other third party that came out recently that got the vast majority of there sales on Ps5 ?
I'm going to repeat myself too. Your argument makes no sense. "If they cared about game sales they would give us console sales". You still haven't explained that one. What's the correlation? You're talking shit, dude. Slight mistake i meant If they cared about console sales they would give us console sales numbers. Which they havent since 2014 and that is a fact.

umar45

Banned
If that were the case then Microsoft would not have any of their games available for sale on Steam and yet they do and have committed all future games to Steam as well.
Yeah coz no one wants to use the windows store. and when was the last time they gave us any steam sales numbers from their games remind me

Deerock71

Chewing Gum Wtf GIF by Gif Gif Project
Thanks for the nightmares lol.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah coz no one wants to use the windows store. and when was the last time they gave us any steam sales numbers from their games remind me

Why are you talking about the Windows store when you explicitly said MS doesn't care about game sales? Only Game Pass, right?

MS games have been a mainstay on the Steam to sellers list for months.\

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I would still buy the next Playstation but also would love all their titles go PC day 1 as some of them I would play on PC that needs the extra horsepower

umar45

Banned
Why are you talking about the Windows store when you explicitly said MS doesn't care about game sales? Only Game Pass, right?

MS games have been a mainstay on the Steam to sellers list for months.\

The only ones that have been in the top sellers consistently are Halo MCC and sea of theives. and how much have they sold exactly on steam. Surely if they are breaking sales number records on steam there should be no shame in giving numbers

Swift_Star

Banned
May as well go full on third party at that point
Why would they? Sony is first place in console game revenue when compared to Nintendo and Microsoft is a distant third place. No one needs to go third party as this point. The three of them are happy and succeeding. Let's be real here: you're just upset Sony are succeeding and they'll keep succeeding along with Microsoft so prepare to be saltier and saltier over the years.

Last edited:

umar45

Banned
You're making less and less sense each time you post.
You don't seem to understand anything. Go and watch there last 3 showcases and u will see what i mean when i said mainly because of gamepass . They should be called gamepass showcases instead of xbox showcases since the whole thing is pretty much a giant gamepass ad

umar45

Banned
Why would they? Sony is first place in console game revenue when compared to Nintendo and Microsoft is a distant third place. No one needs to go third party as this point. The three of them are happy and succeeding. Let's be real here: you're just upset Sony are succeeding and they'll keep succeeding along with Microsoft so prepare to be saltier and saltier over the years.
Why would i be salty about that when I have a Ps4 and Ps5.

Topher

Gold Member
I would still buy the next Playstation but also would love all their titles go PC day 1 as some of them I would play on PC that needs the extra horsepower

Same. I move between my PC and consoles on a fairly consistent basis. Sometimes for the graphical bump on PC, others time for trophy hunting or just because.....why not? I like to change things up.

The only ones that have been in the top sellers consistently are Halo MCC and sea of theives. and how much have they sold exactly on steam. Surely if they are breaking sales number records on steam there should be no shame in giving numbers

This argument of yours seems to be constantly evolving. So now Xbox games on Steam have to break records in order to prove that Microsoft cares about game sales? No, the firm commitment Phil Spencer made to Steam alone proves MS care about selling games. The fact that the games are consistently present in the Steam top sellers list shows why. You said they can't have both and yet subscriptions and game sales clearly coexist for Microsoft.

umar45

Banned
Same. I move between my PC and consoles on a fairly consistent basis. Sometimes for the graphical bump on PC, others time for trophy hunting or just because.....why not? I like to change things up.

This argument of yours seems to be constantly evolving. So now Xbox games on Steam have to break records in order to prove that Microsoft cares about game sales? No, the firm commitment Phil Spencer made to Steam alone proves MS care about selling games. The fact that the games are consistently present in the Steam top sellers list shows why. You said they can't have both and yet subscriptions and game sales clearly coexist for Microsoft.
then give numbers then if they are that impressive. They used to be bragging about them all day and shouting about it through the rooftop about it

Topher

Gold Member
then give numbers then if they are that impressive. They used to be bragging about them all day and shouting about it through the rooftop about it

Steam top sellers isn't good enough, huh? Again, the fact the games are even on Steam at all prove the point. The is repetitive and pointless. Believe what you want.

Notabueno

Banned
I agree with OP completely. Why would I get a PS5 when I can get it's most important assets on PC with a more powerful result?

And that's why the very terrible design of the PS5 system is what killed it for me and most people I know: if you could have a small, powerful and efficient box, that is dedicated to games and can conveniently launch into an optimised game without hassle, that's what makes consoles better than PC. But the PS5 failed at that.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I agree with OP completely. Why would I get a PS5 when I can get it's most important assets on PC with a more powerful result?

And that's why the very terrible design of the PS5 system is what killed it for me and most people I know: if you could have a small, powerful and efficient box, that is dedicated to games and can conveniently launch into an optimised game without hassle, that's what makes consoles better than PC. But the PS5 failed at that.

Because as of right now you are only getting a handful of PS games on PC at all. If you are willing to wait simply for the possibility of games that may or may not come to PC then that is up to you. I'm all for all games being on PC day one, but even then, as I said above, I'd play on both console and PC for the variety of experiences.

I've found nothing terrible about the design of the PS5. It does exactly what a console is supposed to do and does it well.

Swift_Star

Banned

Because I'm not in the mood to pay more than double PS5 cost to play games. The same is valid for Xbox consoles. Why can't you people grasp this simple concept?

And the design comment has no real meaning IRL since the console is breaking sales record after record. Literally no one cares about PS/Xbox console designs.

Last edited:

longdi longdi , I command you

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Waiting for a PC version really comes down to the gamer. Some gamers want a new game right away, some wait. The PC crowd is definitely more attune to sitting back and buying games when they feel like it and not being pressured by console makers to buy their latest game that came out. PC gamers will get to it when they feel like getting to it. They probably got too many games in a back log and enjoy Steam and GOG deals, while the console crowd front loads sales in month one as the audience seems conditioned to buy new games asap.

I dont do much Steam and GOG myself (on my shitty laptop) but I wait it out too for deals. Why pay full price rushing to buys games at launch? I got other games to play. I'll buy it when I feel like it when it's 60% off.

Notabueno

Banned
Because as of right now you are only getting a handful of PS games on PC at all. If you are willing to wait simply for the possibility of games that may or may not come to PC then that is up to you. I'm all for all games being on PC day one, but even then, as I said above, I'd play on both console and PC for the variety of experiences.

I've found nothing terrible about the design of the PS5. It does exactly what a console is supposed to do and does it well.

Until the 2000s console had 4 incentives against PC:

1. Privileged target platform ie. most of the quality games were only playable on consoles.
2. Power and optimisation: the way SoC were built made them x times more optimised than PC.
3. Design convenience: PC were and are still disgustingly ugly, but also particularly fat. Consoles were made by designer (although it peaked in late 90s/early 2000s) and were particularly compact compared to PC until the 7th generation.
4. System experience: playing on consoles where you just insert or download to boot into a standard, optimised version of the game (though it's less the case now), in the confort of your couch with a TV screen and a controller, always was a better experience than the hassle of a claustrophobic PC desk.

The PS5 lost the 3 first points of these incentives compared to PC.
1. Exclusives and libraries are meager, especially with Sony's not having done shit for BC unlike Xbox or Switch to counter emulation, but also it's strategy to exploit it's franchises and softwares on PC.
2. The whole software technology and tools lagging situation makes it very hard for publisher to exploit the PS5 capabilities in ways you can't yet on PC (save for Ratchet & Horizon), and by the time they do, the median GPU card will be as powerful or more, same for the integration of SSD fast-load.
3. The PS5 is the most terribly designed PS since the OG PS3. This is due to the fact that they wanted to milk and optimise so much juice out of the chip even breaking AMD's recommendations, that it concentrates too much heat in the same place, liquid metal wasn't enough and they had to put a HUGE distance between the chip and the memory stacks, and then HUGE heatsink and vent that account for half or more of the size of the console. Something bigger than a PS3 (which was a huge mistake and they corrected it with the slim and then the PS4) is a no go. Also it's not particularly aesthetical but fine.
4. So what is left is the system experience, which is fine on PS5, but nothing to make up for the 3 previous incentives.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

1. Privilege target platform ie. most of the quality games were only playable on consoles
2. Power and optimisation: the way SoC were built made them x times more optimised than PC
3. Design convenience: PC were and are still disgustingly ugly, but also particularly fat. Consoles were made by designer (although it peaked in late 90s/early 2000s) and were particularly compact compared to PC until the 7th generation.
4. System experience: playing on consoles where you just insert or download to boot into a standard, optimised version of the game (though less the case now), in the confort of your couch with a TV screen and a controller, always was a better experience than the hassle of a claustrophobic PC desk.

The PS5 lost the 3 first points of this incentive compared to PC.
1. Exclusives and libraries are meager, especially with Sony's not having done shit for BC unlike Xbox or Switch to counter emulation, but also it's strategy to exploit it's software on PC.
2. The whole software technology and tools lagging situation makes it very hard for publisher to exploit the PS5 capabilities in ways you can't yet on PC (save for Ratchet & Horizon), and by the time they do, the median GPU card will be as powerful
3. The PS5 is the most terribly designed PS since the OG PS3. This is due to the fact that they wanted to milk and optimise so much juice out of the chip even breaking AMD's recommendations, that it concentrates to much heat in the same place, liquid metal wasn't enough and they had to put a HUGE distance between the chip, the memory stacks and HUGE heatsink and vent that account for half or more of the size of the console. Something bigger than a PS3 (which was a huge mistake and they corrected it with the slim and then the PS4) is a no go.
4. So what is left is system experience, which is fine on PS5, but nothing to make for the 3 previous incentives.
A few more console advantages that disappeared.

It used to be you can play a game straight off the disc. Now you got to install it just like PC. And also giant patches. And with that, you need buy buy external storage (more $) if you run out of space. I think just about every core gamer on Xbox One/PS4 and new gen had to buy an external HDD at some point to house games. Now some have bought external SSDs or that Seagate card.

Online cheating. Now on console lately. Was really bad when Activision didn't know how to handle old COD games on 360/PS3. Exasperated with cross play with PC.

Consoles and PCs getting more alike every gen, but some people just wont accept it and think consoles are just as unique as comparing a SNES to a 386.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
A few more console advantages that disappeared.

It used to be you can play a game straight off the disc. Now you got to install it just like PC. And also giant patches. And with that, you need buy buy external storage (more $) if you run out of space. I think just about every core gamer on Xbox One/PS4 and new gen had to buy an external HDD at some point to house games. Now some have bought external SSDs or that Seagate card.

Online cheating. Now on console lately. Was really bad when Activision didn't know how to handle old COD games on 360/PS3. Exasperated with cross play with PC.

Consoles and PCs getting more alike every gen, but some people just wont accept it and think consoles are just as unique as comparing a SNES to a 386.

Yes it came to mind: the inconveniences of PC are actually found more and more on consoles, but not quite yet, it still is a tad better more straightforward gaming experience.

But the thing is that losing all previous incentives (and in fact I forgot the incentive of multimedia capabilities) means more weights rests on this last aspect, and as we both mention: the conception, architecture and design work on the last PS5 doesn't make up for these.

Notabueno

Banned
Because I'm not in the mood to pay more than double PS5 cost to play games. The same is valid for Xbox consoles. Why can't you people grasp this simple concept?

And the design comment has no real meaning IRL since the console is breaking sales record after record. Literally no one cares about PS/Xbox console designs.

I'm not even sure you're correct: the hardware barrier of entry is bigger on PC it's true, a PS5 is just 500$/€ while PC easily go for more than 1500$/€.

But what about the fact that a PC is also a full on system for working, creating, simulating or gaming, which allows you to actually play the vast majority of games included those releases on consoles with more control/modding, and what about the egregious price of controllers, games, additional hardware?

So I don't know, if you're looking for a strictly gaming machine, with the latest high-end though limited catalogue, yes it make sense for some people, but less and less for more and more people either young newcomer or console veterans.

Topher

Gold Member

1. Privileged target platform ie. most of the quality games were only playable on consoles.
2. Power and optimisation: the way SoC were built made them x times more optimised than PC.
4. System experience: playing on consoles where you just insert or download to boot into a standard, optimised version of the game (though it's less the case now), in the confort of your couch with a TV screen and a controller, always was a better experience than the hassle of a claustrophobic PC desk.

The PS5 lost the 3 first points of these incentives compared to PC.
1. Exclusives and libraries are meager, especially with Sony's not having done shit for BC unlike Xbox or Switch to counter emulation, but also it's strategy to exploit it's franchises and softwares on PC.
2. The whole software technology and tools lagging situation makes it very hard for publisher to exploit the PS5 capabilities in ways you can't yet on PC (save for Ratchet & Horizon), and by the time they do, the median GPU card will be as powerful or more, same for the integration of SSD fast-load.
3. The PS5 is the most terribly designed PS since the OG PS3. This is due to the fact that they wanted to milk and optimise so much juice out of the chip even breaking AMD's recommendations, that it concentrates too much heat in the same place, liquid metal wasn't enough and they had to put a HUGE distance between the chip and the memory stacks, and then HUGE heatsink and vent that account for half or more of the size of the console. Something bigger than a PS3 (which was a huge mistake and they corrected it with the slim and then the PS4) is a no go. Also it's not particularly aesthetical but fine.
4. So what is left is the system experience, which is fine on PS5, but nothing to make up for the 3 previous incentives.

1. PS exclusives being "meager" is simply your opinion and one in which I heavily disagree. BC (other than PS4 BC) has certainly been a weakness for PS and I'm not going to pretend otherwise. But BC has been in place for Xbox for years and it hasn't made a difference in its popularity so what does it matter? How is Switch BC even in the conversation though? You can no more use legacy Nintendo media than you can PS media from what I understand. I could be wrong though on the digital side.
2. How are tools lagging with PS5? That has been stated to be an issue for Xbox Series X, not PS5.
3. Again, opinion except for the claim Sony "broke" AMD's recommendations. You have some evidence of that, I assume.
4. More opinions and they are just your own. Obviously many disagree.

PC and console both have strengths and weaknesses. It is an old argument but ultimately in comes down to financial concerns and personal preferences.

I'm not even sure you're correct: the hardware barrier of entry is bigger on PC it's true, a PS5 is just 500$/€ while PC easily go for more than 1500$/€.

But what about the fact that a PC is also a full on system for working, creating, simulating or gaming, which allows you to actually play the vast majority of games included those releases on consoles with more control/modding, and what about the egregious price of controllers, games, additional hardware?

So I don't know, if you're looking for a strictly gaming machine, with the latest high-end though limited catalogue, yes it make sense for some people, but less and less for more and more people either young newcomer or console veterans.

My feet are firmly planted in both PC and console gaming and there is a simple fact that a large number of gamers do not have an interest in PC gaming. That is fine. Why wouldn't it be?

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

I'm not even remotely interested in any of that. And people that buy consoles aren't either, or they'd invest in a PC otherwise. I have a working laptop provided by my company and that's enough for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom