• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Collection Story trailer

Harlequin

People that rank Drake's Fortune above Among Thieves are like people who claim A New Hope is better than Empire Strikes Back.

I've never watched the Star Wars movies so I can't comment on that comparison but the reason I like Drake's Fortune best is that it has (IMO) the best story, pacing and atmosphere in the series. The gameplay may have been better in its two sequels but then I never much cared for Uncharted's gameplay, anyway, as I'm not generally a fan of shooters or combat-heavy games (and Uncharted's platforming has always been laughable, whereas the only game that had somewhat decent puzzles was Drake's Deception). I tend to force myself through that in Uncharted because I like the story, the atmosphere and the characters so, to me, the best game in the series is the one that does those things best and that's Drake's Fortune (IMO).

1 = 2 = 3 > Abyss

The games are so equally good and flawed, it's actually frustrating that I don't think I can put any of them above the others. The series should have a standout and it just doesn't : (

1 was amazing but it was majorly improved on in design and graphics so it can't be the best

2 had the worst story of the 3 and the worst villain and the worst traversal segments but it's the most loved for some reason so you just have to concede arguing against it

3 was easily the best halfway though but then it had major story holes and problems and the ending area was bad and fell off which was disappointing.

2 equally wonderful and flawed game and also Uncharted 2

2 had the worst story of the 3 and the worst villain and the worst traversal segments but it's the most loved for some reason so you just have to concede arguing against it

What planet are you from ...

IMO, 2 was the best of them all and Lazaravich was by far the best.

Marlowe and Talbot were so bad.

Lazaravich>Eddy Raja>Gabriel Roman> Ramses (fucking funny) > Marlowe > Talbot

Hoje0308

Banned
Next day or so? Putting together a preview of sorts and that's part of it.

You're doing the lord's work, sir!

The Soviet Block villain definitely wasn't great. I think most people like the story because of the relationships between Nate, Sully, Elena and Chloe though. Uncharted 3 started off as a much better written game, but did - as you said - fall apart toward the end.

AmyS

Never played any of the main Uncharted games, only a demo of the PS VITA game.

I'm definitely picking up this collection.

This should be better for people crying.

ps3cao3p.png

cMrDIO.png

OMG what's happening to Drake's left wrist?!!

1 = 2 = 3 > Abyss

The games are so equally good and flawed, it's actually frustrating that I don't think I can put any of them above the others. The series should have a standout and it just doesn't : (

1 was amazing but it was majorly improved on in design and graphics so it can't be the best

3 was easily the best halfway though but then it had major story holes and problems and the ending area was bad and fell off which was disappointing.

2 equally wonderful and flawed game and also Uncharted 2

You don't mention gameplay, which is a somewhat important part.

2 is most loved because the controls felt good and the encounters were actually crafted. 1 and 3 simply had you enter a room while waves of enemies poured in. 3 especially was a big let down in this regard, because it was a huge step back. Also they fucked up Elena.

2 stands way above the other games because of this. I know I'll struggle to slog through the other games again.

What planet are you from ...

IMO, 2 was the best of them all and Lazaravich was by far the best.

Marlowe and Talbot were so bad.

Lazaravich>Eddy Raja>Gabriel Roman> Ramses (fucking funny) > Marlowe > Talbot

I'm from Earf, thank you. Lazaravich was one of the worst villains I've ever seen in a game.

He has no character at all. He's just war criminal; generic crap. Tell everyone he's a war criminal and then have him shoot one of his own guys (one of the lamest tropes ever) so you know he's evil. He was a terrible boss fight too. He defines one dimensional.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just watched the Gamersyde vid. Looks wonderful. I still hope they get motion blur in though, it made a huge difference in the presentation of the plane boarding sequence in 3 and it was still missing here.

Hoje0308

Banned
Just watched the Gamersyde vid. Looks wonderful. I still hope they get motion blur in though, it made a huge difference in the presentation of the plane boarding sequence in 3 and it was still missing here.

How likely do you think it is that Bluepoint are going straight off ND's documentation from TLoU:R?

2 is most loved because the controls felt good and the encounters were actually crafted. 1 and 3 simply had you enter a room while waves of enemies poured in. 3 especially was a big let down in this regard, because it was a huge step back. Also they fucked up Elena.

2 stands way above the other games because of this. I know I'll struggle to slog through the other games again.

Elena was fine in 3. From a story point they just re-used their relationship from 2 which wasn't a good choice.

I never noticed that about 3. I just enjoyed the gameplay and never felt like it took a step back. I really don't like 2 very much. It was the least fun to play and it has quite a bit to do with how the story was paced and laid out. I nearly quit playing at the 'cameraman segment'. The train part felt broken and had major collision issues IMO. They had to replay the opening traversal segment once the story caught back up to that point and they can just fuck right off with the ice temple. Holy shit, when the camera pans for 30 seconds over all the crap you were about to climb over I felt like they were just giving me the finger.

GAmeplay and graphics aside, I like the story and location of 1 the most. It's great to see the diversity in locations they did with 2 and 3 but it didn't add anything for me. It felt like showing off, which to be fair they can do because these games look AMAZING.

It felt like the Black Mesa compound. You get a real sense that you are traversing over every piece of a contained location. In 2 and 3 you just end a chapter and poof, you are already standing in the next level. I loved the feeling of gaining ground.

Hoje0308

Banned
There at least was a bit in TLoUR. It seems completely gone here. I understand adjusting shutter speed for 60fps but given Uncharted's cinematic influences, I think motion blur is much more important here than in TLoU.

Agreed. They've got about a month of development time left, hopefully it's added in.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Much more interested in this than Gears Ultimate. I'm in the minority, but I've always found Uncharted's shooting to be more satisfying than Gears.

It's the recoil and bullet spread. Love it or hate it.

And yep, we need some motion blur, just the right amount.

Alo0oy

Banned

2 was definitely far more consistent than 3 in its level design, but 3 still had by far the best level in the series, which is the ship graveyard, & it's probably where the PSX UC4 demo draws inspiration from.

farmerboy

Legit goosebumps from the trailer. Fantastic music as well.

Nate and Sully are my favourite team in gaming.

Though I was just thinking, somewhere down the track, after a somewhat darker U3 and potentially darker still U4, I would kill for a light hearted prequel with Eddy Raja. Loved Eddy.

Vaga

Is this all on one disc? No download code shenanigans?

Most likely two discs, U3 alone is 40+GB, U1 & 2 ~ 20GB each. With mp removed and some compression wizardry maybe they could squeeze it all on a single bluray.

Zemm

Cool, it can come on three discs if it likes, just as long as none of them are download codes I'm happy.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
U3 is only that big due to 3D cutscenes. Depending on how many extras (movies) they remove, they may be able to cram it on one disc. Two discs is the better bet, though.

KORNdoggy

Is this all on one disc? No download code shenanigans?

if the cut-scenes are real time now (people seem to think they are) it should all fit. remember the past games used pre-rendered cut-scenes and had duplicate textures scattered throughout the disc so they could be accessed quicker by the slow ass blu-ray drive of the PS3. with full installs they should all fit.

haikira

Made a pair of 720p gifs, as I think it's always easier to spot any difference with a before and after gif. The images I used are from ones already posted in this thread, so thanks to people who posted them.

Obviously these aren't perfect, as there'll be some detail loss, and so on, but thought they were neat all the same. That said, the texture upgrades are so substantial they're still impossible to miss.

untitled1ffqi2.gif

untitled29vrmp.gif

Servbot24

Banned
Why though? I personally love the single setting, twist and jungle settings compared to similar locations in the sequels. Better overall gameplay, set pieces and graphics in the sequels? Sure. But the atmosphere made up for that, not to mention the introduction of the characters and smaller scale plot.

Definitely agreed on preferring the smaller scale of UC1, but there are still too many problems with it to beat 3 for me.

Top Bottom